• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Too old for gaming

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Old_predator_by_AndreeWallin.jpg

Thought about this since our most skilled devil hunter veteran, @ef9 o shea, will be another step closer to nel mezzo del cammin di nostra vita tomorrow, like good ol' Dante (Alighieri) used to write (yeah dude, you're becoming an old wrinkled man TROLOLOL).

Can you picture yourself gaming in the last period of your life? Do you think you will get tired of it, or feel incapable of properly playing games anymore?

Personally, gaming has been a passion and part of my life since I was a kid and put my hands on the glorious Unreal Tournament. Yes, as a kid I played a game where guts and organs and heads happily flew all over the place.

unreal_tournament99-goty.jpg

This picture is nothing compared to what you can do to your enemies with a point blank Flak Cannon shot.

But I'm digressing now, cough cough...

Over time, gaming ceased to be just a fun hobby, and became a passion and as I grew up, I learned to take it more seriously too, and appreciate the more "artistic" aspects of it (even though I kinda disagree on considering videogames art).

So, even though it's true that anything can happen in life, and I indeed might lose interest in games at some point in my life (someone said Phil Fish?), given how much into games I am, I doubt that will happen and yes, I can picture myself, wrinkled and old, still sitting on my couch with a pad in my hands.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Im 23 and well Im still example of Female gamer as this ended into Passion mostly. Some people from mine friend circle or family sometimes try to persuade that games are for children but I mostly ignore them. Also Im not typical in likes of games as I can play RPGs, FPS, survival horrors, ARPGs, some MMOs, hack and Slash and those were mostly mine liked games genres, as also I have themes I like in games but that would be list to show.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I kinda feel you're missing the point of the thread, @lorddemolatron xD

The point is, do you think you'll still be gaming as an old man/woman? Do you picture yourself as a gamer even once you'll reach a high age?

KRSkull

No i don't. Because i will be 30 years old next September and i am already getting tired of playing games. I do however play video games every now and then. But i don't feel anything while playing them.

So yeah i don't see myself as an old man gamer.

Erian1Mortal

Premium
I'm going to be 24 this comming novembre, I don't think I'll game as much as I used to do in the future. Heck I'm not even playing as much as I used to 5 years ago. But that's simply because I've got different priorities now and personally I don't think they make games like they used to be anymore, not that that's a bad thing, they just don't really synch with me as much as back in the day. But that's a different topic alltogether I think.
Fact is, as I get older I won't play as much as before, that's sure, will I stop? I don't think so. Sure I'll need to balance a job (which I'll hopefully have) and free time, together with all the other stuff that comes with life but I sure as hell won't stop playing videogames, even if I only play retro games for nostalgic sake when I'm 50 lol

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
33 this year *sobs* - but I can't see myself not wanting to play games as I age. I am very selective with titles anyway (read: can't play anything without God Mode enabled) and have been buying/playing more indie titles in the last 6 months than I have in the last 20-odd years.

I kinda hope that in old people's homes of the future there will be gaming tournaments instead of bingo as the entertainment in the evenings. And my grandkids will come in to visit and be all like, "Granny, you're soooo out of touch - no one games any more"

And then I'll be all like, "Who the hell are you and why are you interrupting The Sims?"

Meg

33 this year *sobs* - but I can't see myself not wanting to play games as I age. I am very selective with titles anyway (read: can't play anything without God Mode enabled) and have been buying/playing more indie titles in the last 6 months than I have in the last 20-odd years.

I kinda hope that in old people's homes of the future there will be gaming tournaments instead of bingo as the entertainment in the evenings. And my grandkids will come in to visit and be all like, "Granny, you're soooo out of touch - no one games any more"

And then I'll be all like, "Who the hell are you and why are you interrupting The Sims?"
Sims tournaments? Who can kill their sims the most creatively? Now that is an e-sport.

I'll probably still be playing games for years to come, but I imagine the amount of time spent playing will drastically go down as I get older. Hopefully I have kids who want to play too. My mom and I would Crash Bandicoot a lot when I was little. I'd love to be able to pass that down. :happy:

Lani

I'll game until I cant anymore.I cant see myself stopping.I might take breaks from time to time like I do now and the time I have to game will decrease as I have work, kid(s) and other responsibilities. I might just play older games at some point as nowadays I find myself into less games of the ps3/xbox gen and the ps4/xbone isnt doing any better for me at this point really.Its sad when I think about it.:frown:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I will game until I can't physically game anymore. And then I will hire someone to game for me while I yell instructions at them. :cool:

Of course, this plan is entirely based on the concept of me actually having money to afford games in the future. ._.

Ixbran

Smashing~
I am 26, and I intend to continue playing games until the day I die. Pure and simple as that, the stories they can tell, the game play mechanics, the music games have to offer, its all just too wonderful for me to leave behind.

Viper

Premium
30, and quite convinced they'll be prying the controller from my cold, dead hands.

Besides, you do realize these days there are grannies in retirement homes just discovering gaming and having one hell of a party? ;)

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
shut the hell up all of you, i'm 32 and still gaming, there's no "too old to game", the only thing that makes it so is that we'll have less and lesser time for it.. priorities

like art, gaming is something i need to keep in touch for the sake of being sane..it's a crazy world out there..

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Not to mention gaming is GREAT for dealing with stress. I honestly do not think I would have made it through Jr. High, let alone High School, without video games to play.

I know, right?! Games are awesome for stress relief. ^^ 90% of the time I can turn a bad day around with a couple hours of brutally cutting enemies into stew meat...in the games, I mean. ._. *blinkblink*

On a side note, my mum just turned 45 and she's more obsessive about gaming than I am. I think I'm falling behind on my gamer duties. OTL

Top Bottom