• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Tis' a shame....

DarkSlayer54

Secondly i'm not saying 5th as a sequel, i'm saying 5th as in 5th DevilMayCry title, & shouldn't have the name, period.

And I'm offended they would pass off a sloppy game with little to non-threatening enemies, a very generous style ranking system, easily exploited cancels, no lock-on system, dimwitted characters, little senses of immediate danger, all to the gaming public & say here enjoy it now pay us full price.
After a DevilMayCry series that's challenging, filled with better dialog, & far more charismatic characters then this.
DevilMayCry 2 is boatloads more enjoyable then the EmoMayCry demo.
DevilMayCry3 was far more challenging.
All with the exception of DevilMayCry4 at full price costs less then this will new.

I think it's Capcom you shouldn't have any respect for.
They're selling you operation raccoon city & smiling.
My opinion isn't needed here, but pardon me as I chime in. I just wanted to make a few counter points to this.
Sadly, as far as gameplay goes... I can only talk about DMC1 since I haven't beaten the other DMC's above normal... but none the less, as a DMC title I think it fits the part.
DMC2 was just as much of a change from DMC1 as DmC is to DMC4... hell, all the DMC's were massively different from each other. So, really... what's the main reason for DmC not feeling like a DMC game? The gameplay? The changes to the story (eg. Eva being an angel)? Or simply because the characters have a whole new fashion sense?
The style system is no worst than DMC1. Heck, I remember DMC2 being easy to rack up style too. In DMC1 you just had to remain untouched... pretty much it. DMC1's cancels were also easy to exploit, haha. On DMD, there's a zone with like 10 reptile things (similar to Frost's)... I forget their names, but I not only got an S off them, but I did it with one simple cancel'd combo. Slash, Slash, (cancel), Slash, Slash, (cancel)... etc, etc. As far as normal enemies went, there was never any risk involved... I knew all their weaknesses.
However, I do have to admit that the auto-lock on seems to screw me over more than it helps me out. I often target the wrong enemy... but on the flip side, it's MUCH easier to dodge. Especially since I can dodge in any direction I want, instead of simply left, or right. It doesn't make any sense to dodge through an on-coming enemy... but hey, it's made the gameplay much more fun for me.
I hated Dante's look, and I still hate Vergil's look... but playing DMC2 again, I remembered hating Dante's costume... and I also disliked DMC4 Dante's costume too. Hell, even DMC3 Dante had a weird costume... well, he barely even had one. Just pants and a trench coat... but my point is, each game has a whole new look to Dante. As far as character designs go, they no longer affect my opinion of the game itself. Each game so far has taken DMC and twisted it a bit. Hell, even the anime, novels, and manga have done this. Each one has a different Dante, and each one feels like a parallel universe.
DmC's changes don't bother me anymore... Really, the biggest change they made was to Eva. Dante still has those cheesy one-liners, so I'm happy. I do have my concerns, like the Devil Trigger... but it's exceeded my expectations overall.
All in all, if you hate DmC there's really nothing wrong with that. The only DMC I truly liked was DMC1 due to various reasons. Each person has their own favorite DMC... DmC seems like it'll be my second favorite. For you, maybe it'll be DMC5. I doubt I'll be seeing another DMC I like for a few years (assuming the full game is as good as the demo).

I just couldn't agree with your reasons, so I just had to throw my two cents at you. :p

V

Oldschool DMC fan
If it had been a new IP, there would be zero infighting, probably zero controversy, and I think it could have done fine on its own as the West's answer to Devil May Cry rather than trying to be Devil May Cry, since it aims to attract a wider demographic over and above that of existing fans, and seems to be achieving that regardless.

But as they say there is no such thing as bad press, and devs are not prepared to take any risks at the moment. Way easier for them to put the name "Devil May Cry" on it, and let it ride the good and bad hype all the way to the bank.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
LOL Nekodark your the one that needs a cookie & a nap.

Really ?
LMAO!
So when someone finally says what's on their mind, you don't get offended ?
Oh please, don't cry foul with me.
The absolute very moment anyone says they hate EmoMayCry, your all over them like a bad cold. You can't except their opinions, you get offended. Someone says it's bad you scream NO IT'S NOT!!!!
IT'S GOD'S GIF TO DEVIL MAY CRY!!!!

Well sorry to say but not everyone shares your opinion.
And will continue to say whatever they wanna say about it if you like it or not. And you should remember your words

So if I say "Bayonetta sucks dick and is a terribly made game" you'd have to respect my opinion just as you want people to respect yours?

So allow me to give Bayonetta a new name as well.

Fake-onetta.

Nekodark

So if I say "Bayonetta sucks **** and is a terribly made game" you'd have to respect my opinion just as you want people to respect yours?

So allow me to give Bayonetta a new name as well.

Fake-onetta.

I never got into Bayonetta it was an ok game, I just never could get into it let alone the story but do not care if anyone else likes it or think it is better then a game I do like, it was never good to me sure you have fun with the game if you like it but for me I have to have a good story and I do not know why I do not like the story maybe it was not presented good but I never put much in it and sold the game after I did tried to play a bit more to really see if I do not like it.

It just seemed to be trying to hard and really did not make a blip on my radar but hey other people liked it and it is cool with me I am not going to rage about it and put down those who do like it I know better then that.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Bayonetta killed a few hours for me, had some fun with it, liked the visual design, but that's all I can say.

As for DmC, when they showed the very first trailer, I was seriously upset and wondering what the heck Capcom was playing at. But the more I see, the more I want to give the game a chance. People put effort into making and designing this game, so I want to be open to seeing what the game has to offer.

As for NT, I had my fears about them doing the combat- story, no problem with- so it sets my mind at ease knowing they have Capcom's help with the fighting mechanics.

I have good memories playing classic DMC as a teen from 1 to 4, but that's all they are, memories. I want to see what the future of DMC will be and I'm ready to have a new DMC experience. I don't want the DMC brand to become dead to Capcom.

The whole point of a game is to have fun, but it seems like this DmC has just created a whole load of vitriol on all sides of the argument which is a real shame.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Point is your absolutely free to share your opinions as much as you want, but don't expect everyone else to sit back & not share theirs.

So why do you say "whenever you share your opinion, people yell foul at you for it"?

No one's bullying you. You just think they are. In fact, that's your counter to a lot of things when it comes to DmC.

At least rep what you sow.

So I'll just repeat what you yourself said;

"your absolutely free to share your opinions as much as you want, but don't expect everyone else to sit back & not share theirs."

Nekodark

As for DmC, when they showed the very first trailer, I was seriously upset and wondering what the heck Capcom was playing at. But the more I see, the more I want to give the game a chance. People put effort into making and designing this game, so I want to be open to seeing what the game has to offer.

For me I was not upset just surprised then started wanting to know more of what the game was about and where it was going.

I have good memories playing classic DMC as a teen from 1 to 4, but that's all they are, memories. I want to see what the future of DMC will be and I'm ready to have a new DMC experience. I don't want the DMC brand to become dead to Capcom.

Yeah this is me too, I had fun with the games and nothing can take that fun away from me, I am open for new spin on things because you never know what you might find out and the end could be more good memories good or bad as it was with the original series for me good or bad memories from it are still my own.

The whole point of a game is to have fun, but it seems like this DmC has just created a whole load of vitriol on all sides of the argument which is a real shame.

I see what is going on and wondered how gamers changed so much from when I started playing games sure people love or hated things but the sheer mass that has been going on with games is something to be in awe over at times, mostly I sit back and watch and it is few times I say something but only when something that is false is presented as truth to justiy what the person is saying or the sheer spew that be pressed out that makes me really worried for that person since with me I know it is a game it has no real affect on my life unless I play it and even then it is entertainment and nothing more then that because once it is cut off your life is still going and it does not care or do anything for you but give you fun if you like it.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Cause it sucked.

End of discussion.
cant-tell-if-trolling-or-serious-thumb.jpg

I honestly can't

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
VampireWicked, you seem to get offended easily. We're just voicing our opinions and you're acting very rude.
Saying things like "EmoMayCry" and calling the game "sloppy" is of course going to lead to disagreements.

Everyone on both sides of the spectrum need to calm down. It's just a bloody videogame.
Then why your kind feel the need to tell everyone with animosity for DmC at a daily basis to give it a chance? If it's just game as you implied(I agree by the way), then the hate it received and still receives to this day should be unable to affect anybody. However, that is not the case after all these years.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I thought the series started to fall with the anime as it wasted all the potential DMC3 had and made Dante this boring character. The anime was better when it focused on everybody else but Dante which showed going past DMC1 was a bad idea. 4 was just the nail in the coffin.

It reminds me of the manga Bleach which has this storyline called the Aizen saga that became the main storyline and it ended two years ago at issue 4 hundred something and went on a hiatus. The ending for that arc really felt like a good end and people just wanted it to end there.

People that didn't want it to end where saying that it should continue because of all these unanswered questions, unresolved plots etc and to that I was like "they had 200+ issues to do so, so obviously its not important".

That's how I feel about DMC with regards to continuity. You can blame the reboot for not getting a DMC5 or answers but at the end of the day you have to blame the other games/stories for also not giving you answers. They had 4 games, 2 light novels, a manga and an anime so that was more than enough time to get a cohesive story told.

They didnt so no point in a dmc5 being told now.

on the flip side of that argument, I agree with the OP's statement that the reboot could have been better off as a new IP because looking back at the tgs 10 trailer, there wasn't a lot there to tell you it was a DMC game so you wouldn't have made the connection on your own.

Whatever similarities it had could have been waved way as staples of the action genre, so it would have been no more of a ripoff than Darksiders, Ninja Gaiden etc.

so its like the movie Constantine in which both stories where radically loose adaptations of the source franchise in which it would have been better loved had the creators "cut the cord" and just did it as a new ip.

Dante47

Then why your kind feel the need to tell everyone with animosity for DmC at a daily basis to give it a chance? If it's just game as you implied(I agree by the way), then the hate it received and still receives to this day should be unable to affect anybody. However, that is not the case after all these years.
I don't feel that way, this all started because I felt the term "Emo May Cry" was immature whether you liked the game or not.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I don't feel that way, this all started because I felt the term "Emo May Cry" was immature whether you liked the game or not.
its just how people call it and it is a way to differentiate it from the original series i know some people that still call the new dante "Dino" because its easier than saying which dante it is

Dante47

its just how people call it and it is a way to differentiate it from the original series i know some people that still call the new dante "Dino" because its easier than saying which dante it is
Is DmC not good enough?

Although, Dino actually made sense to me.
It shows he's a different character and also represents the frustration some people have with his new character, as it stands for Dante-In-Name-Only.

DarkSlayer54

The supporters go almost unopposed here so much so that the top of this forum is saturated with nothing but support threads with their obsessive aggressive replies & comments towards anyone else that says differen that nobody wants to go up there. Not because they're right, it's because nobody wants to hear the whining when they state their opinion.
I'm here just to discuss DMC. Whenever someone bashes DmC, I like to think of counter-arguments in the hope that the person will counter, my counter-arguments. :p
At the end of the day, this makes me understand the DMC community a whole lot more...

One thing I'd like to add though... I too feel that "EmoMayCry" was too far. I dislike God Of War, but I don't go around calling it "Noob Of War" or something silly like that... I just say that I dislike it. To me it's just disrespect for the game itself. Even if I hate the game, it doesn't mean I should make up names to represent it. You know?

But yeah, feel free to state all the reasons you hate DmC... just resist the urge to kick dirt into DmC's face. :p

Nekodark

Don't start that defending childish name calling as a way to separate/differentiate from the original game, it is dismissive and insulting to think others will buy that. You know why names like that are being said and it is not innocent it is like people seeing someone they don't like and to make fun off them and make them feel less of a person call them names and insult them then say it is all playing.

Both games are what they are weather you like it or not and if you have any respect for hard work that both games have been given and the time and lives that has been invested in them weather you like the games or not call it by it's name, this is the internet it is easy to just post the name and people will know what you're talking about.

Original Series = DMC
New Series= DmC

See easy with no insults or childish name calling and respect's both games as they are since both are different canons but in the same vain.

Dante is easy as well without insults

Original Dante = Dante
New Dante can = NuDante or DmC!Dante..

Easy as pie and no one is insulted or feel their favorites are being dismissed, those names are not needed unless you don't care of what others feel and want to insult them. if you truly think that is why they call the new series that then you are not really seeing their context.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
Fair enough.

The nephilim looks more wretched than anything else. Suprisingly, some people like that. I wonder why?

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Is DmC not good enough?

Although, Dino actually made sense to me.
It shows he's a different character and also represents the frustration some people have with his new character, as it stands for Dante-In-Name-Only.
yep but i guess some people would rather call it the way they want

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Don't start that defending childish name calling as a way to separate/differentiate from the original game, it is dismissive and insulting to think others will buy that. You know why names like that are being said and it is not innocent it is like people seeing someone they don't like and to make fun off them and make them feel less of a person call them names and insult them then say it is all playing.

Both games are what they are weather you like it or not and if you have any respect for hard work that both games have been given and the time and lives that has been invested in them weather you like the games or not call it by it's name, this is the internet it is easy to just post the name and people will know what you're talking about.

Original Series = DMC
New Series= DmC

See easy with no insults or childish name calling and respect's both games as they are since both are different canons but in the same vain.

Dante is easy as well without insults

Original Dante = Dante
New Dante can = NuDante or DmC!Dante..

Easy as pie and no one is insulted or feel their favorites are being dismissed, those names are not needed unless you don't care of what others feel and want to insult them. if you truly think that is why they call the new series that then you are not really seeing their context.
opinions and its just how people do things

Top Bottom