• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Three reviewers talk about DmC

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Because even if the story and characters are shallow we want to see what happens to them yeah DMC doesn't have an A+ story but its interesting enough and its over the top cheesy ness adds to it or atleast imo Capcom should have finished the story before rebooting it and it wasn't like series's plot order was all that confusing and since the anime is canon make a second season filling in any plot holes problem solved for the most part
No offense. That's like saying the crap story was cool and any attempt to make it not crap is wrong. Which I beg to differ. I don't think Devil May Cry has to settle for this lowest common denominator and get a free pass especially in an industry this day and age that has set a new standard for video games in general.

The only story I cared about in the previous series was the first because DMC had it's own vibe going for it in the spirit of that game. Everything else I saw afterwards were just a bunch of trite anime trends that for anyone who's an avid anime fan can sit down and tell you how much of it has been done before. Why do people acknowledge this crap as the better story is beyond me. And don't say I don't get intentional camp and cheese. My favorite trilogy of all time is the Evil Dead trilogy. I absolutely adore Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. If you're going to be intentional cheesy then that's how you do it. Learn from the master Devil May Cry. Go and watch some Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, do your homework.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Makes you sound like a hypocrite if you put it that way no offense. That's like saying the crap story was cool and any attempt to make it not crap is wrong. Which I beg to differ. I don't think Devil May Cry has to settle for this lowest common denominator and get a free pass especially in an industry this day and age that has set a new standard for video games in general.

The only story I cared about in the previous series was the first because DMC had it's own vibe going for it in the spirit of that game. Everything else I saw afterwards were just a bunch of trite anime trends that for anyone who's an avid anime fan can sit down and tell you how much of it has been done before. Why do people acknowledge this crap as the better story is beyond me. And don't say I don't get intentional camp and cheese. My favorite trilogy of all time is the Evil Dead trilogy. I absolutely adore Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness. If you're going to be intentional cheesy then that's how you do it. Learn from the master Devil May Cry. Go and watch some Evil Dead 2 and Army of Darkness, do your homework.
Honestly why do people call the other dmc's "anime-ish" that doesn't make sense Cowboy bebop, Berserk, Clannad, Bleach, GTO, Outlaw star, Big-O, different types of anime also I'm not being a hypocrite im just saying that DMC's main strong point was its gameplay with decent stories while DmC was supposed to give us "better story telling" and to be honest I found the plot to DmC a bit boring add to the fact it only made me think of They live. The plot in DmC is a mixed bag some people will like it others not so much. In a sense if DMC went over board cheesy I wonder how that would work maybe like House of the Dead Overkill with out all the cussing? >_<

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Honestly why do people call the other dmc's "anime-ish" that doesn't make sense Cowboy bebop, Berserk, Clannad, Bleach, GTO, Outlaw star, Big-O, different types of anime also I'm not being a hypocrite im just saying that DMC's main strong point was its gameplay with decent stories while DmC was supposed to give us "better story telling" and to be honest I found the plot to DmC a bit boring add to the fact it only made me think of They live. The plot in DmC is a mixed bag some people will like it others not so much. In a sense if DMC went over board cheesy I wonder how that would work maybe like House of the Dead Overkill with out all the cussing? >_<
I didn't want to call you a hypocrite. I edited that, my bad. They Live was a crappy movie to begin with. John Carpenter's best is obviously The Thing. I only like They Live because it's so stupid. Plus it is very obvious that Devil May Cry just succumbed to becoming an anime in its own right. The anime fandom adapted it like it's part of it. Why do you think Dante is such a regular at anime conventions?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Meg stop reading my mind and diving into my shows of the late 90s. Its freaking me out.:ermm:

Also, DmC's plot may have seem boring to you because it lacked the over the top crazy action that would be seen in DMC. People see that kind of over the topness on animes and manga, thus the reason people say "DMC is like an anime."

However, DmC to me would fit better if it came out in the late 90s as an anime like with cowboy Beboop and Big-O and all those old anime. It seems to have the same feel as those animes to me.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
Meg stop reading my mind and diving into my shows of the late 90s. Its freaking me out.:ermm:

Also, DmC's plot may have seem boring to you because it lacked the over the top crazy action that would be seen in DMC. People see that kind of over the topness on animes and manga, thus the reason people say "DMC is like an anime."

However, DmC to me would fit better if it came out in the late 90s as an anime like with cowboy Beboop and Big-O and all those old anime. It seems to have the same feel as those animes to me.
Haha if DmC spruced up its story and made it a two and half season with better writing and that 90's styled animation I would totally watch it
I didn't want to call you a hypocrite. I edited that, my bad. They Live was a crappy movie to begin with. John Carpenter's best is obviously The Thing. I only like They Live because it's so stupid. Plus it is very obvious that Devil May Cry just succumbed to becoming an anime in its own right. The anime fandom adapted it like it's part of it. Why do you think Dante is such a regular at anime conventions?
I like They Live alot and to me it measures up today and is still prevalent even more so now the only part I hated was when the main character and his best friend were beating each other up in the alley for like 7 minutes and the same could be said for Deadpool
dante_and_deadpool_cosplays_by_rockinroller25-d536cfo.jpg

Dantes a popular character he's white hair and red trench coat make him significant and noticeable

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.

DmC does seem to have that flare that like Adam said, fits with that rebellious trend and style from the 90s and such. When I'm playing DmC I usually play this song at least once.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
And I was going to be all awesome and respond with a picture of Ragna holding rebellion but i cant find it anywhere Dx
also fate stay night uhhh. so your saying Dante isn't original?
I need more excuses to use these two...

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
He's not saying that they are unique. Just significant and noticeable for a character design.
Because of the white hair/red coat, most people find Dante to be easily recognizable.

Really? Cause I remember the very first time I saw Dante, I thought it was Inuyasha but more human. :D

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Minor detail, who will notice something like that?

Appearance wise, the only thing dante have common to inuyasha is the red color of their own respective attires and white hair.
But honestly, pray tell what is the similarity between a trench coat, pants, boots to a shinto garb?

As far as i'm concern dante is the first character who had white hair and a western red clothing in videogames or anime as a whole.

Have you ever heard the saying
"If you don't like someone then everything they do is offensive."

It doesn't matter that the guy you hung out with in the past screwed you over a few times pretty majorly. You don't want to acknowledge that guy can be a total idiot because anyone who points out that obviously doesn't understand and is wrong just because you refuse your buddy here has those faults. It's like you don't want to talk about it.

There comes in the new guy who was hated the moment he was seen just because he looks a little different. It doesn't matter that he bends over backwards to try and please you but still has the confidence to be his own man. Just because he's different it makes you hate everything he does so you compare him to that idiot friend you have because he was their first and you've spent more time around him.

I'm not saying every person against DmC is like this but is it a vass majority? Let's see, it's been over 2 years and they don't want to get over it and move on with their lives so try to tell me I'm wrong but before you do, go take a trip around the internet. Going on about it this long will not make the initial perception of this fanbase change. When it comes to everyone else, the DMC fanbase just look like a bunch of babies who are still angry that they didn't get everything their way exactly. No one defend this fan base. No one. The moment you do, you lose all credibility. People have went overboard.

The perception isn't good because there is a term, it's called "vocal minority."

Baiting once more I see. Remember you're part of this fanbase, too. You are a Devil May Cry fan, right? or so you claim (I really doubt it) or are you that special snowflake who knows better than everyone else?

Again is there some in joke going on here?

Terrutas

Why does anyone here think Dante is original? There are WAY too many characters with a red trench coat and blond/white hair. It's a weird Japanese cliche where the protagonist usually wears those.

But guess what? Dante isn't supposed to be original. He never was, and never will be. Because DMC1 uses satire humor to make fun of cliches and the mainstream.

Martius

SSSmokin!
Appearance wise, the only thing dante have common to inuyasha is the red color of their own respective attires and white hair.
But honestly, pray tell what is the similarity between a trench coat, pants, boots to a shinto garb?

As far as i'm concern dante is the first character who had white hair and a western red clothing in videogames or anime as a whole.
I know that. But for some people these are minor details, color of clothes and hair are more important!

Top Bottom