• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Well since next week is Xmas, going possible soon on weekend writing oneshot Xmas story too for my fanfic , it just will be standalone one than being part of main story.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I've been procrastinating with False Star. I started thinking of a solution that goes in a direction I'm not sure about. But it does fit the themes of my story so it's worth exploring. We are all worried about being cliche and that's a matter of perception. You don't know your audience so you hope they connect with your work. All you can do is to commit to your take and do it your way.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
My brain doesn't want to go back to False Star so I came up with Squall and Rinoa's kid would be like....

I also came up with what Jak and Daxter would be like as demon hunters.

Progress...shrugs.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I started writing a fanfic about Sharif and the new Wonder Girl.

Sharif was an obscure DC character from the 1980s. He was a refugee from a middle eastern country. He was inspired by Superman to become a hero.

So I wrote a sequel to the issue he would've starred in.

The prologue is focused on his relationship with Yara Flor, the new Wonder Girl from Brazil- titled "the next step forward".

I thought of a sequel called "a tale of two failures". That focuses on his relationship with Superman's other attempt at having a sidekick "Boy Thunder".

Call me DC. ;)

Here is an interesting article I read.

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Idiot: "Writers editing their story after they post it online is so annoying. It ruins the story!"
Same idiot, two posts later: "Writers deleting their story because they're being harassed or don't like it anymore are embarrassing and are bad writers."

Soooo...which is it, mate? What, exactly, is it you're expecting of fanfiction writers? Cuz last I checked they were hobbyists and you, idiot, are a supposedly published author who threw a several page long tantrum about how fanfic writers calling themselves authors invalidated you as an author because you don't think they're worthy of the term. So, again, which is it? Are these hobbyists worthy of being held to the standards of published authors (in which case, yes, those complaints are valid, if rather rude) or are they not (in which case, you're just a **** punching an easy target to make your overly-inflated ego feel better while they're doing what makes them happy). Either way, you're making a fool of yourself.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I decided to finally write the prequel to my novel "false Star". It's called "space Gangster blues" and takes place sometime before it opens.

I'm procrastinating moving forward with the story by moving backwards.

Sounds about right.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I feel odd as a fan like I don't fit in any fandom currently. Becoming a writer trained me to think about the potential each ideas rather than whether it's right or wrong. But I'm opiniated and need to learn restraint and how to pick my fights.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I pitched one of my novel ideas to my writing group and they liked it.

It's a YA urban fantasy series called Umbran Tales.

The funny thing with pitching is you need to have a flexible plan. When you are in the hot seat, you tend to forget the plan so being able to remember the core of your story is ideal.

I also have a problem with plotting. I have ideas but they are very spread out. And plotting a series is extra tricky because you could be saving stuff for later. When you pitch you should bring your best stuff out first.

I tend to have a lot of ideas but not a structure or a focus yet. Coming with ideas is the fun part of writing but structuring them is the hard part.

Surprisingly I find my fanfic pitches feel more focused than my original ideas. But that's cause I have a starting point and a framework to build off.

It's a learning curve.

Umbran Tales got started as a KH/FF style franchise but then I saw Haider and made it an Urban fantasy...lol

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Writing a novel is too big a task so I shelved "False Star" for short stories. Ironically I had a hard time committing to a short story idea as not finishing the novel kept getting to me.

I thought doing a short story set in the universe of my novel would be a compromise. "False Star" is about an ex-convict in the future who joins a group of alien Knights on a journey to find a mythical missing planet. When I pitch it to others, they respond with it should be a tv show so I thought about doing a short story that could feel like a teaser for the main novel.

And thus Project Sandstorm was born. ;)

Last edited:

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
So well myself i wrote story what is practically DMC/MCU xover that is named The Guild, so well seems mine own muse camed back to make me write again.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I finished my short story and I'm putting off outlining my novel. Should I reread the old brainstorms or try and go from memory?

"Which is worse- an honest evil or a false good?" Is a theme I stumbled upon. What story could I use that with?

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
It feels weird but being a writer is the one path I'm confident in taking currently.

I have my ideas and characters, I'm focusing on putting them out there this year.

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
I want to write a doom slayer and dante from DMC but my grammar and punctuation and spelling are not good enough as English is not my first language :ROFL: Gaeilge is

i can daydream about it right

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I want to write a doom slayer and dante from DMC but my grammar and punctuation and spelling are not good enough as English is not my first language :ROFL: Gaeilge is

i can daydream about it right
most fanfics don't have good grammar or written in english so you'll be fine.

Top Bottom