• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I started working a new project called "False Star". It's a science fantasy story and I'm hoping to write it as my first novel/prose project. That's my 2022 goal and I'm gonna spend the rest of the year outlining/brainstorming.

the logline is "Seeking a new life away from his rundown space station, a delinquent hustles his way onto a squad of space alien army cadets".
Space themes have been intriguing me a lot after getting familiar with Dune and The Martian and you're not helping me at all dear... :LOL:

Nah. Good luck!

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
*walking in with the collection of The Expanse, Star Wars, and Star Trek novelizations*

*whistles innocently and walks out*
I've got a confession to make: I haven't seen a single Star Wars movie (or read any of those novels). Not even a single scene. Unless the one titled "Darth Vader has a Finnish accent" on YouTube counts. (Search for it and you will know how my English sounds like.)

Morgan

Premium
Xen-Ace 2021
I've got a confession to make: I haven't seen a single Star Wars movie (or read any of those novels). Not even a single scene. Unless the one titled "Darth Vader has a Finnish accent" on YouTube counts. (Search for it and you will know how my English sounds like.)
All good!
Skip the movies, read the novels and the extended universe instead (including the Thrawn trilogy). You skip all the needless drama about whether Prequels, Sequels, or OT is better.

I went to look up that video and now I have a dozen "Character has a Finnish accent" tabs open.
(I'm vaguely familiar with Finnish accents from looking up videos on Finnish plus random models/actors, and also The Moomins, but any chance at watching a funny video is a chance I'm taking.)

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
I am a visual person. I write what I see e.g. in my dreams, which are my endless source of speculative fiction settings. My debut publication originated from one of my dreams: there was a desert and a man who just sort of broke apart in the sand, and whoops, that was the base image of the whole story.

The downside of it is that I regularly forget to write down my visions.

Like... I know that a couple of nights ago, there was an old lady approaching three people hiding in an alley. I know that the lady spotted them even though it should've been impossible, and abducted one of them, and that one of those three had a valid reason to blame themself for that. And I know that person had a sword whereas the lady had a dagger. And there was a fight, and the lady blamed them for something that was known to be correct per se but actually far more complicated than the lady understood it.

But boy, would I like to know what on earth was it related to, because I recall having an entire plot in that dream. :rolleyes:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I am a visual person. I write what I see e.g. in my dreams, which are my endless source of speculative fiction settings. My debut publication originated from one of my dreams: there was a desert and a man who just sort of broke apart in the sand, and whoops, that was the base image of the whole story.

The downside of it is that I regularly forget to write down my visions.

Like... I know that a couple of nights ago, there was an old lady approaching three people hiding in an alley. I know that the lady spotted them even though it should've been impossible, and abducted one of them, and that one of those three had a valid reason to blame themself for that. And I know that person had a sword whereas the lady had a dagger. And there was a fight, and the lady blamed them for something that was known to be correct per se but actually far more complicated than the lady understood it.

But boy, would I like to know what on earth was it related to, because I recall having an entire plot in that dream. :rolleyes:
My mentor suggests doing morning pages. Which is freewriting when you wake up. Try giving it a shot or recording yourself.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
My mentor suggests doing morning pages. Which is freewriting when you wake up. Try giving it a shot or recording yourself.
I actually started doing that a while ago. Not because of these dream visions, but because the only moment I can focus on writing and get it done is before the baby wakes up, i.e. starting around 7am as she wakes up at 8am (+/- half an hour).

The reason why it didn't work now was that when I had this vision, I also happened to suffer from insomnia so I didn't set my alarm clock for my morning pages at all... gotta appreciate the few hours I managed to sleep, thus not getting up before the little one tells me to :D

Thanks for the reminder though. I'm sleeping well again so I guess I'll switch my daily alarm back on!

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
My mom read coverage of my old tv pilot. It was funny trying to explain to her what coverage is. I would like to rewrite it but my problem was i put too much of my life into it. So i have to seperate the two now- the work should be on its own. I'm not saying don't draw from your life, i just went too far this time.

With False Star, i'm still in the first act. Fight scenes have a learning curve and I should spend some time with the Starcatcher Squad. So far, ive spent time focusing on Javed getting in the worse trouble of his life.

Rewriting tends to be my achilles heel as a writer but I'm getting used to it.

Last edited:

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
The writing club just gets me. For quite a long time I was afraid I'm just not a writer because sometimes I just have to force myself to write in order to start liking it again. I've said it a thousand times and I'll say it again: I don't believe in the existence of inspiration and I said this in the club as well (who was the guy again who said 'just start writing, the water does not flow until the faucet is turned on'? Anyway, quoting that dude here).

IMMEDIATELY they were just like "I know what you're talking about! If I'd just sit and wait until I feel like writing I'd get nothing ever complete lmao"

... The ranting part is that I've been considering leaving the group because I've given and got everything I have to give and get to/from it...
And if I was to send a membership application now, I don't think I'd be accepted because we only accept people who actually benefit something from it.

*sigh*

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Well can admit i got my muse back so soon im doing new oneshot story that possible ends on my fanfic thread here on forums

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Me today: "So I'm gonna name this fantasy-assassin-rogueish FBI in my WIP the.. the.. hmm. The Night Watch? Yea sounds super and I can't recall hearing about that elsewhere"
Me looking at my bookshelf and spotting George R. R. Martin: "... crap."

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I shelved my novel for a while but I ended up coming up with new material for it. I problem solved a few off it's issue by accident. Lol.

I also rewrote a short story. I'm getting better at telling when I'm writing well or not. I wanna adapt it to a screenplay format afterwards. I wanna keep my screenwriting expierence sharp.

To demystify Writer's block, it's just self versus self. Being an artist involves a lot of personal and emotional vulnerability compared to other professions. And being vulnerable is something people avoid. Often what holds you up in writing is what you holds up elsewhere in life. So think of it like that.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Apparently finishing a story gives me a crisis and I have a hard time starting a new one.

I guess now I know why I started not completing things lol.

My commitment issues extend to writing lol.

therogis

ʙʟᴏᴏᴅ ғᴏʀ ғʀᴇᴇᴅᴏᴍ
Apparently finishing a story gives me a crisis and I have a hard time starting a new one.

I guess now I know why I started not completing things lol.

My commitment issues extend to writing lol.
I feel you. "NOOO I WANT TO KEEP THEM WITH ME"

Remember when I said something along the words that the "sandwich model" in feedback works for beginner level but after that it's more harmful than useful?
Well, I stumbled upon an article where some experts agree with me. In my native language, but anyway. So I don't think it's just in my head or a misconception.

And yet people still think it's a good thing to cover your actual feedback with forced praise just because "it needs to be a sandwich". Well, there are levels in feedback skills too I guess.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I feel better going to a writing group. I've been withdrawn lately so it's good to share. They also liked my novel pitch so I'm itching to get back to it.

False Star's protagonist Javed got started as a Kingdom Hearts oc. It made me want to return to my DMC6 oc ideas. Most of them are crappy but a few are workable. I might as well channel my dissapointment into something productive.

In my last session, we talked about how to pitch and my mentor focused on the "why" of a story. Not just why a producer should make it but why you wrote it. To him, that's a way to find the theme and get producers interested in keeping you on board. It's more esoteric and it takes a while to figure out. To him, it's how you pitch adaptations.

Last edited:

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I think now i broke my problem aka will be trying to write for now small onesided xover story as fanfic

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Last week we had an excersize called "the table". It's a way of organizing your cast based on the idea of who would you invite to a dinner.

For example- Javed is the protagonist of False Star. He is an ex-convict looking to leave the space colony he was raised on. He ends up conning his way onto a noble quest to find the fabled False Star.

Latif is his older brother. They have a falling out at the beginning of the story and it gets worse.

Octojerk aka the 7th prince- alien royalty who hunts Javed after Javed kills his brother.

Nandu the butcher- Javed's father who represents the worst in Javed.

Big Boy- an alien knight with psychic powers. He and Javed have an uneasy alliance at the start of the story.

The Observant One- an alien priest who claims to talk to the planet itself. Javed is tasked with befriending them.

I'd add his mother who left him when he was 12. She represents reconnecting with the past.

I'm getting the hang of it. :)

Not all the seats have to be friendly. Try it for yourself.

Last edited:
Top Bottom