• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm having fun reworking my DMC6 ocs. A lot of them overlap so it's fun figuring how to make them stand out. I also added my KH OC Arjun to the list. He's a different tone from the others but he fits right in.

I wanna start working on their powers/movesets next.

I still gotta get back to my novel so I should learn how to multitask. Lol.

I wanted to use the DOA girls as secondary cast members but that could be cut. The OCs running into each other at a DOA tournament works as a crossover hook.

I also wanted them to be an on the ground look at the Qlipoth. They don't get involved in the main conflict but deal with the aftereffects.

It did make me think about whether or not to keep my novel in the future. But that's more worldbuilding concerns and that's something I could manage.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
Well nice somehow to see that my story got on one of sites above 1000 visits in last month and now also doing nice on getting views

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Right now I'm just organizing my story documents on my laptop. I wanna get back to my novel so I gotta figure out why I stopped back in May.

I still think of scenes for it and I wanted to do a short story set before the story begins. I already have a title- "Space Gangster Blues".

I got my oc list from 16 broad ideas to 8 characters that are workable protagonists. I'm still iffy on how they fight but I got a general idea of what I want. Next step is too finalize a plot for each character and write a one page pitch.

In hindsight, the DMC elements are nonexistent because I wanted them to be more outside the Sparda family drama. So I could use them outside fanfiction. Which is funny because Javed, the protagonist of my novel False Star started out as a KH oc.

It's a habit I'm forming lol.

Creating them helped me deal with my baggage with DMC's direction. It's pretty cathartic.

I still have baggage with KH and shonen anime and I wanna put that to use. I should write a YA series one day. That thought made me realize I'm writing "post school" characters. Which is what I call the space between YA and A. I didn't create a new genre but I did name it...;).

Last edited:

lorddemolatron

Premium
Well thinking on now on posting my new story here on forums since i have at least 6 chapters in good stand to be posted on sites as later ones are still on edit mode.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
A lot of my characters blend together or you see aspects repeated.

It can help from time to time. I found a way to reuse Khalid’s original characterization with another character Arjun. I changed Khalid to having his psychic powers appear at a younger age (around 5). That opens up a whole new doors for him and I thought an antholagy called "childhood's end". A 29 year old Khalid returns to his hometown for a high school reunion and ends up having to deal with an mystery from the past.

Arjun picks up Khalid's original idea of his powers emerging when he's 21 and in this case he discovers he was a warrior named Agni. So rearrnging the pieces can work.

I'm still in the brainstorming process so it's easier to catch now.

Last edited:

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
Don't you love it when you start writing and then you change your mind about a crucial character? LOL well I just did that.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
My brain doesn't want to go back to my novel "False Star" so I came up with a YA pitch "Umbran tales" instead.

Progess :/?

I'll count it.

Last edited:

Trish67

Bad a$$ Gunslinger
I'm upset with myself that i can't come up with a title for my fanfic might just call it the Crystal Caves revamped or something like that. ugh

lorddemolatron

Premium
Nothing bad to make Xover fanfic where is OP duo fighting bad guys of xover world like i did

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm working on the first act of my novel and I'm at a crossroads.

I have two different ways of resolving it. Both options do address existing holes in my stories but one is more radical than the other.

For my oc list, they are starting to come together but one of them (the outcast) is giving me issues.

Decisions, decisions

lorddemolatron

Premium
Working now onto Arc 2 of my new story this gonna go intense very hard now, and even i have already first drafts of Arc 3 too

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
One of my new coworkers is a writer and we exchanged stories. She like my short story and tv pilot. Both are about Khalid tanveer the character in my profile pic. Rewriting them and sending it out is my next year project.

lorddemolatron

Premium
Somehow well im happy how my Xover fanfic in 2 months got attention even if its more from 2 obscure things i got so recent to like myself

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I've been writing fanfic ideas for Jak and Daxter, FF15, KH and Doctor Who for the past few days.

It's a way to keep my writing brain active. Tomorrow I'm off from work so I can on my own stuff more.

Someone had a pitch your own DC story thread in the comics forum I frequent.

It's a way to use fanfiction to serve my own work. Its funny how much certain themes repeat in my work.

My writing group has a pitch festival I'm looking to enter. It seems like a good way to practice pitching stories. It's this Thursday if anyone's interested.

Last edited:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I've been thinking about new characters recently. I'm enjoying some of the new faces at Marvel and DC. I'm trying to figure out what I can learn from them and put it into my own characters.

Why do some characters take off and others don't is hard to answer. I could spin some BS about the market but for this thread, I'd focus on creative.

For the creative side, it comes down to a mix of personality, circumstances, design. The latter is important if you are doing an action adventure franchise. That overarching genre is built more on external appeal. Ironically design is what I'm weakest on. I'd settle on doing references for what I want and letting the future artist create something from it.

For existing franchises you have to tap into nostalgia. So it's a matter of being similar but different. It's a difficult balancing act. I don't like Nero but he suffers from a similar problem to Rey and the Star Wars sequel trilogy. They could be interesting but feel undercooked as characters. The creators settled on recreating the past than charting their own course. Or just didn't realize they were doing it.

I'd say Sora from KH is undercooked as well but he's more from the former paragraph. Or is there an overlap?

Sora becomes an outdated anime cliche over the years. Your ability to like him depends on your ability to like Ash Ketchum. But his problem is more Nomura didn't know how to write an everyman. Or wanted kids to project themselves on him. Which worked but teens and adults need something different.

I'm drawn to characters who feel fleshed out. I need more like Noctis or Persona than Sora.

What can I learn from this? I'm not sure yet.

One of my writing teachers did a podcast about how to pitch your story.

Last edited:
Top Bottom