• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Writing (and Artistic) Ranting Thread

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
So, I decided to add a quote at the beginning of my story. (I know, not the most original thing. lol) And I'm not sure if I should go with good ol William or Edgar Allan Poe. @_@ But, I really like the quote I have atm. Well, I might change it later when editing. :p

Aisen66

so you guys going all out for that house on the beach uh writing is fun especially when changing sentences to make them better than the last thing you wrote wich ends up been more absolute ideas

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Working on The Spectrum Chronicles is a bit like being stuck in rush-hour traffic. I'm still moving forward, and every now and then, I exceed my expectations by getting further than I thought I would. But then, the traffic flow grinds to a halt, leaving me more frustrated than I was prior to things moving along.

Thing is, I don't understand why it's happening. I thought I did before, when outlining hadn't been completed. But now, even with it there--however basic or detailed--I'm still tripping over these stumbling blocks. Which tells me the issue isn't really with the stories themselves (okay, there's a little bit of that going on, at least with AG, for reasons I won't bore everyone with). I guess maybe I'm still too much in the trilogy's world to fully focus. That WoN is being launched in 12 days is probably the biggest culprit, but I have a feeling because of it, my mind is fixated more on it and its sequels, than on plotlines consisting before and after the trilogy.

Maybe I just need to take the next three or four days to relax, and if not that, to at least read through what I've got for AG and S&F so far, and make sure they're going in the direction I want them to. I just hope I can finish their first drafts this year. It's been nearly two years since I started them, and it would be nice if I didn't get sidetracked by one of the other novels before they're completed for a change. >.>

Sorry, that was kind of long. ^^;

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
^ Rant for as long as you need. This is supposed to be a safe venting place after all. ^^

--

Coming back to a story after not touching it in two years always feels weird. I know what to do now, but I just...feel awkward? Like the story and I don't 100% fit together any more. Idk, maybe it's a good thing, but I can't help but worry if my writing doesn't fit it anymore or if it'll make it more disjointed. At the same time, I want to finish this. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Meg

When you really need to go to the bathroom, but them words just won't stop flowing...............then much discomfort later you realize you're writing on this thing called a laptop. Which is portable.

Just.

You know.

#WriterProblems

EDIT: Is it weird to lock the bathroom door even though you live alone?

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
So, I've been making progress with my story, but a snag came up. >.> What type of Vampire I'm going to be adding to the story. This is what I have so far: vampires can walk in daylight, eat and drink normal food while human blood is more like wine. If they drink too much they can become drunk. So far so go, yeah. Here's my problem, should I have vampires be a race onto themselves? They are living breathing beings that have supernatural powers because they evolved that way. OR, you get bitten/cursed and can be turned into a vampire.... or something.

>.> I'm starting to like the later a lot. Might use the former for another story...but I don't know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
So, I've been making progress with my story, but a snag came up. >.> What type of Vampire I'm going to be adding to the story. This is what I have so far: vampires can walk in daylight, eat and drink normal food while human blood is more like wine. If they drink too much they can become drunk. So far so go, yeah. Here's my problem, should I have vampires be a race onto themselves? They are living breathing beings that have supernatural powers because they evolved that way. OR, you get bitten/cursed and can be turned into a vampire.... or something.

>.> I'm starting to like the later a lot. Might use the former for another story...but I don't know. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I would stick to the same old folklore about vampires, unless you can win at making them seem plausible.
Since vampires are technically dead when they transform, all cells die and organs give in and blood stops pumping. How or why it's possible for them to gain strength from drinking human blood is up for debate but I think we can all agree that vampires are an illogical species. The blood goes to their stomach, unless their anatomy has completely morphed from the normal human being. If you wanted to, you could say that there is something in the human blood that the vampire body is able to suck from the blood itself, kinda like nutrients and such that we absorb from the foods we eat everyday (or not, DON'T EAT MCDONALDS!) But then you'd have to go research the human blood, the types, and what sets human blood apart from say pigs blood or goats blood, and then somehow make it believable that the difference is what the vampire needs.
You can bring the dead back to life, through CPR and defribillators or major surgery or blood transfusions or whatever it is they are in need of.
But to get bitten by a vampire, die, and then come back? Unless there is something in the vampire's bite that injects some genetically enhanced DNA or some liquid venom that mutates the human genes to enable all these supernatural powers. That would be the only way.
That, and/or magic, of course, depending on what era your vampire will be created in.
Also, venturing into genetically mutated or evolution and such, you would be treading a thin line between vampire and zombie. To me they are both the same, with zombies just being a bit more cannabilistic and eratic, and with vampires being the more sophisticated of the two. That's just my perspective because I've tried to make sense of both species and their likeness to one another are near identical. Especially with movies portraying zombies evolving into smart creatures and fearing the daylight (I am Legend, anyone?) and shows like iZombie making them look pretty.

Just brainstorming here, really, and I guess this would be applicable if you went the route of them being a race onto themselves.

But I really like your idea of them getting drunk on blood. Would that be the comic relief in your story? Is it for just one by-character? Is the setting supernatural, are there other supernatural beings in play? Because I think the thought of somebody writing 'oh no, he's been out drinking again' in context of a drunk vampire would be very entertaining.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
I just encountered someone who was crying that their fic on Ao3 had "only" reached 500 kudos and was "only semi-popular" because it didn't have 10,000 kudos. I just...excuse me while I sit in my tiny main fandom and cry because 50 kudos is a big deal there and all of them feel like a great honour and I could never imagine 500 people liking my story and my first reaction to that being "gdi, why don't 10,000 people like it?" Just...wtf?

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
@Shadow lol that's funny, I mean realistically are there even that many people who know about the site? I don't even know how Ao3 properly works so I'm not counting on any kudos, BUT I'll give you kudos on your stories. Just PM me your username on there :)

-Edit-

I had to come rant here. I just wrote the most epic jerk moment ever and.... I don't know.
I did a metaphorical table flip right there and stormed off. My muse is still begging me to come finish this fanfic but I'm too infuriated by this darned shadow man. I want to slap him. And not because he's being all sporty and letting her play the game but because he's messing with her big time. And because he's actually doing what I used to want to slap him for not doing. Like. OMG. Now I know why LJ went the way she did. I just. AAAAAAAAAAARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGHHHHHHH WHAT a JERK.
I can't write right now. I'm too mad that it came out that well. I mean if I'm ticked off at this scene, hopefully my readers will be too but OMG I CAN'T HANDLE IT RIGHT NOW.

Sorry.

Last edited:

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
@Dante's Stalker According to wiki, it's got 1.3 mil users, so...I guess there are? I know a lot of people left FFN and it's weird rules for Ao3 which is more user friendly (read: is actually going to let you keep your smut up and write whatever you want as long as you tag correctly). But it seems unreasonable to assume they're gonna get that much attention in every fandom they're in. Aww, thanks. ^^ -has a feeling you're gonna do well there-

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
@Shadow oh okay, YAY for smut! And thankies, but I'm not expecting much of anything to be honest.

CT: Oh, I remember these days with FFN when I was still trying to learn the formatting guidelines. But MAN, formatting is a major pain.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Another reviewer not-so-subtly calling out my review of a certain debut novel: "okay, yes, I know that logically the caving in of a skull isn’t exactly possible with a 9mm gun, but it’s not about that. It’s not about the technical side of what happens to a skull when someone is shot. It’s about Nickolai. About what it does to him, about what he feels when it happens".

My response, because I am terrible at ignoring things: Since this was clearly in regards to what I stated in my own review, I decided to be direct: With all due respect, an author can't just ignore the laws of physics to make a scene more impactful. Would not the simple fact of having shot an innocent through the head have been traumatizing enough for a boy who has never killed before? I get *why* she chose to make it dramatic--I'm saying it wasn't necessary to ignore the physics of that particular weapon to make it happen. Either she could have had him use a weapon that *would* cause that effect, or she could have adhered to the gun's nature and still had impact through the sheer fact that Nickolai was forced to perform something so heinous. Suspension of disbelief works when you implement elements out of the ordinary--a 9mm gun is a very ordinary item with limitations. Not being malicious, I'm just saying: if I noticed problems, it's guaranteed other, more experienced writers/readers with a discerning eye will, too.

Is it bad form to have even done this? I probably should have just ignored it (since chances are, they'll continue to believe whatever they want to, if they don't outright ignore my comment anyway), but considering they felt the need to reference a point made in my own review, I felt at least one of us should be upfront about it. :/

Edit: And as predicted, they twisted my words. Go figure.

Last edited:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
@Rebel Dynasty I don't think it's bad form, especially because you were polite and to the point in your response. I've had the same dispute with someone regarding a car crash scene I wrote. They were calling out the impossibility of things flying wihchever way due to momentum and anatomy of a car, etc. I was all, pffffttt I dun wanna change it, it paints a cool picture! But aye, if you get caught up in the fact that a car engine probably won't go flying through the windscreen no matter how hard you want it to, it's time for a slight rewrite!

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
There are so many people who are like "don't be bashful, just say -insert slang here-" when it comes to smut, but...like...my mother is my editor. She reads everything. Including my smut. And she judges everything I write. Especially my smut. And I know she doesn't care what words I use, but I'm still gonna be heckin' embarrassed to show her that. It also makes me feel like a toddler spouting off words and not being taken seriously. I literally cannot take my own writing seriously using that kind of slang in a "serious" way. So...yeah. All the "don't be bashful" stuff makes me feel like just not posting it at all. It's hard enough without the extra judgment.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters

Not about reviewing RWBY but commenting on the hatedom portion in fandom. The youtube critic is also a writer so that brings a different POV than most other fans. Thought it might be something people here might appreciate it.

Update- on my third draft of my spec tv pilot but I'm trapped in between writer's block/depression.

EA9Sol

For Sanguinius!
Welp, been working on my short story and not sure who long it should be... hm. Gotta figure that one out. lol But, I've been enjoying the story so far. I also want to post it up on a writing site as well. >.> Just need to look at which writing site to upload it. @_@ And remember the passwords too.

Top Bottom