• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Original Scenario of Bio Hazard 4 (Devil May Cry)

Status
Not open for further replies.

berto

I Saw the Devil
By Welsh, member of Project Umbrella forums
http://projectumbrella.net/forum/Original-Scenario-Bio-Hazard-4

This topic offers some thoughts on the first scenario of Biohazard 4, rewritten under the title of Devil May Cry. I will be damned if I ever finish an editorial… Nevertheless, my duties lie elsewhere since prototypes aren’t considered “canon”.

On a quick note, Hideki Kamiya was the director, Hiroki Kobayashi, producer, Shinji Mikami, executive producer, Noboru Sugimura, scenario writer, and the majority of artwork was created by Makoto Tsuchibayashi (土林誠) who worked on Biohazard 3, then 1.9 (since CODE: Veronica was originally Biohazard 3).
05p06.png

- Sugimura, Onimusha 2
DEVIL MAY CRY GRAPHIC FILE
These were translated by BioTech and myself.
In the developer’s comment, Tsuchibayashi-san states that he drew the twin children (Dante and Vergil) at the time when the game was still a Biohazard title and that's why he inserted the Umbrella mark. (p.123) They seem to be indistinguishable from one another; can you tell them apart?
twinsto.png

"An image painting of Dante after several decades. It's a calm setting that's pretty out of the atmosphere since later on in the game Dante has various experiences." -Tsuchibayashi (DMCGF, p.124)
Since "Normal" is written on the illustration, most likely Dante has a second form.
The next illustration shows Lord Spencer in an exterior location. It seems to be in the evening since there is a zombie servant standing behind him with a lantern. The text of the speech bubble reads, “There is a court!” BioTech says it’s probably referring to a courtyard or garden.
An illustration of the Count who was setup as boss in the initial setting of Devil May Cry. A European-style man who seems to be strong opponent. -Tsuchibayashi (DMCGF, p.128)
spencer1.png

1130d.jpg

tsuchibayashi128.jpg

And Bio Hazard 4 Vergil. Ridley, do you have this page?
vergil.png

DEVIL MAY CRY GRAPHIC EDITION
These were translated by Kiera and come from the ‘Devil May Cry Graphic Edition’.
Quote:
The following commentary is translated from Kamiya/Mikami, and all the pictures were during the Resident Evil 4 period.

Section 1: imaging - design & rough sketch -
101q.jpg

Yeah, this is a brutal face. The Dante that Tsuchibayashi-kun (Character Design) drew always had a cool expression, so I told him things like "Dante is a more interesting person, he makes jokes to provoke his enemies, and is mischievous like a child," and so we got this Dante with a wicked face. I asked him to make the sword "some sort of unusual sword," and got this cruel looking weapon. "This face is too brutal!" I complained, but Tsuchibayashi lost interest in this picture, and quickly started drawing the next one, so it was never revised...
artbook02.jpg

A design picture from when we decided Dante's costume. The colour of his pants in this picture is grey, but I liked the red colour of his coat, so I had a full-body red version drawn, and that became the template we decided on.
Dante's coat was something I requested from the beginning to vividly show the action. At the time we decided on Dante's design, information about the movie "The Matrix" was just being released... I remember we were disappointed, saying "Aah, they got there first."
I eventually asked for him to make a "clean copy" of this design picture, but Tsuchibayashi-kun had lost interest in this picture, and after leaving it alone the original data was lost.
104vje.jpg

This is an image of Dante that looks a bit Gekiga-ish. I don't know how many sheets of paper Tsuchibayashi-kun drew to consolidate Dante's image, but this is one sheet from amongst them.
His expression isn't really composed, because this was drawn right at the beginning. At this time the devil sword Alastor hadn't been designed.

At a time when this was still a "Bio" title, I asked for this to be drawn as a cover for when we bound the scenario. The protagonist with hidden demonic powers was established from this point, and in my request I said that I wanted to express that.
Because this was before we brought in the world-view of the demon world, Dante's hidden superman-like abilities weren't natural demon powers, they were something that could be explained by science. With a scenario of "In order to solve that riddle, Dante will fght, taking on astonishing jobs..." we were completely tearing apart the Bio world-view, and I privately really liked that...
106ff.jpg

For Dante's partner, I thought of a strong female right from the beginning, and also started with the design for that female character. From the start I requested the long hair and full-body leather costume, and Tsuchibayashi-kun captured this image perfectly for me. I think this design picture was drawn when the designs for the two of them were more or less decided.
107q.jpg

This was drawn after the designs for the two were decided. I don't really know what it was drawn for. Even when we ask, Tsuchibayashi-kun won't draw things he isn't interested in, but for things he thinks he wants to draw, he draws them for us even if he isn't asked.
artbook_08.jpg

This was drawn at the time the game was a "Bio" title. At that time, the setting was that Dante was a detective, with this kind of image. Thinking about it now, this detective Dante also has a spirit you don't have to try to see. No matter how dangerous the place, he will boldly march in, and quickly catch the criminals. Even if he is caught, he won't panic; "Even if you honeycomb me with that huge machine gun, you'll never defeat me!" Among villains he's known as the "god of death", a guy they're all scared of.
You'd think the image of Dante as having "guns and swords" is quite strong, but at first he didn't carry a sword on his back. Because a detective with a sword on his back... surely such a thing doesn't exist. There was a need for a sword in the game, so we made him carry a sword on his back during development. Because of that there aren't many images of Dante with a sword on his back.
artbook16.jpg

blindn.jpg

As opposed to Dante who wields guns, I thought of making his older brother Vergil a character with a "Japanese Sword. It's an image of the last boss in the film "Blind Fury". He has more brutal looks than his younger brother Dante, but his figure is definitely the same... that's the sort of direction I had drawn. This was still the time when it was a "Bio" title, so naturally I wasn't thinking of the form of the black knight, and in contrast to Dante's roughness I planned to make this guy wear a suit.
Saying something like, competing to be the legitimate successor to a mysterious blood relative, sparks will fly between Dante and Vergil... at this time the construction of the sibling rivalry was already present. I definitely wanted to draw and see Vergil's human form in the game.
Vergil's name comes from "Vergilius" who appears in The Divine Comedy. It's also the name of a poet in ancient Rome.
dmcvergil1.jpg

The scenario back when this was a "Bio" title was that we planned not to finish with one story, but to have something on a grander scale, with time progressing in each part. For this design sketch, the protagonist Dante was drawn after several decades, when he would appear again, more dignified. It might have already pinged for the sharper people that this became the basis for the "Legendary Dark Knight" costume in the actual game.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil

A sketch from the first stages of Vergil's development. At this time we were feeling out various directions, and this one had long hair. At this time, I had just bought a Civil War commander's sword (a replica) on an impulse, and so Vergil at this time had that sort of sword.
artbook20.jpg

1.20 - Tony Redgrave
This is a picture from the time of the first stages of Dante's design. I told Tsuchibayashi-kun that I wanted him to draw an "Englishman" for me. If I had just asked for something modern-looking, I thought the design might wander aimlessly, and so I wanted a character with a bit of an atmosphere of traditional European style. Even though it didn't give quite the punk feeling I wanted. This was the time when he was still set up as a treasure hunter, but his looks, build, and other basic points don't change much compared with the present Dante.
[First speech bubble reads, "The reason to trust the eyes of goddess?" -BioTech]

1.21 - Tony Redgrave
Why choose a treasure hunter as the setting? That's because I wanted a man with some sort of romance. If he belonged to some sort of organisation, living off a salary, there isn't much room for dreams in that, is there.
I wanted to make a protagonist who, like a child, was the sort of man who would do whatever he wanted to do. This thought also applies to the current Dante. With some sort of convenience store on the street... he might not know whether he's going to make a profit, but he isn't held back by anyone, doesn't cause trouble for anyone, and lives how he wants to live.
dmcsparda.jpg

1.22 - Count
Back when the game was still a "Bio" title, this guy was the Count that we set up as the mastermind. He was the king of the old castle for some hundreds of years, and holds Dante, with an unfortunate destiny introducing the two people... that sort of development. Even looking at this design picture, I think you can understand that we seemed to be taking a route that wasn't like the "Bio" series so far.
This feeling of the "old man being the mastermind" was always in my heart, and even after the title changed I continued to draw from this strong image. One meaning of this is that you could say he was a prototype for the Demon Lord Mundus. When he transforms into a human in this world, he would look something like this.

1.23 - Portrait "Count's Family"
For this illustration, Shimoda-san from background design gave the main points as to how to decorate the hallway. But in this picture, I think there's something unnatural... normally, the woman would sit in the chair, with the man standing nearby, right? And so, with this old man being the only one sitting... as you'd expect, an evil mastermind is different to an ordinary man.​
CREATURES
MARIONETTE
A puppet that stands over two meters tall. It was initially designed as a zombie. The sense is a monster similar to Frankenstein that the tacky castellan put together and crafted. … - Director, Hideki Kamiya
nobody1885550beb.jpg

In this rare illustration of the 'Green Garden', you can see hanged men with hands bound, the zombies of Biohazard 4, wearing clothes from the 1800s.

NOBODY
The most powerful generic monster that appears at the end; Nobody. This is a hangover from Biohazard 4 times and the design is a bit gross. Those tattoos appear on the bodies since they were created as ancient men who turned into monsters under the influence of a virus… We asked them to design the image of an ancient civilization for Fetish as well.
The name “Nobody” comes from the previous setting of “Unnamed warriors mutate from the virus, minds slip away to the point that only combative instincts remain and have existed for hundreds of years.”… - Director, Hideki Kamiya
nobody1885558398.jpg

In a sense, these guys are prototypes of the Ndipya tribe and look somewhat similar to Lisa Trevor (e.g. characteristic eyeball). Clearly, they were infected with the Progenitor virus and their appearance remains largely unchanged, unlike the other remodelled enemies.

pt09c.jpg

MISC.
artbook09.jpg

According to Kamiya, Dante was inspired by manga character Cobra.
mangacobracoulf01.jpg

artbook87.jpg

artbook90.jpg

berto

I Saw the Devil
From the Devil May Cry HD collection. I don't have time to organize these right now.
vlcsnap_2012_05_09_04h47m53s152.png

Stage 2
Zako Monster
"G Leech"
vlcsnap_2012_05_09_04h47m55s176.png

Stage 3
Medium-Sized Monster
"Blade"
vlcsnap_2012_05_09_04h48m11s80.png

Stage 4
Medium-Sized Monster
"Nobody"
NOBODY
The most powerful generic monster that appears at the end; Nobody. This is a hangover from Biohazard 4 times and the design is a bit gross. Those tattoos appear on the bodies since they were created as ancient men who turned into monsters under the influence of a virus… We asked them to design the image of an ancient civilization for Fetish as well.
The name “Nobody” comes from the previous setting of “Unnamed warriors mutate from the virus, minds slip away to the point that only combative instincts remain and have existed for hundreds of years.”… - Director, Hideki Kamiya
vlcsnap_2012_05_09_04h48m21s176.png

Monster Spencer
vlcsnap_2012_05_09_04h48m33s39.png

Stage 5
Boss
"Ouroboros"
vlcsnap_2012_05_09_05h00m56s45.png

Original Spencer Coat of Arms
Here are the translations for each Bio4 enemy.

1ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"G・クロウ"

Stage 1
Medium-Sized Monster
"G Crow"
1ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"ウイッチ"

Stage 1
Medium-Sized Monster
"Witch"
1ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"ベルゼバブ"

Stage 1
Medium-Sized Monster
"Beelzebub"
1ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"ベルゼバブ" (地下型)

Stage 1
Medium-Sized Monster
"Beelzebub" (Underground type)
1ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"ベルゼバブ" (飛行型)

Stage 1
Medium-Sized Monster
"Beelzebub" (Flying type)
2ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"ヒドラ"

Stage 2
Medium-Sized Monster
"Hydra"
2ステーヅ
ザコモンスター
"G・リーチ"

Stage 2
Zako Monster
"G Leech"
2ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"グリフォン・ベビー"

Stage 2
Medium-Sized Monster
"Griffon Baby"
2ステーヅ
BOSS
"グリフォン"

Stage 2
Boss
"Griffon"
3ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"ブレイド"

Stage 3
Medium-Sized Monster
"Blade"
3ステーヅ
BOSS
"クラーケン"

Stage 3
Boss
"Kraken"
4ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"アンデッド・ドッグ"

Stage 4
Medium-Sized Monster
"Undead Dog"
4ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"ノーバディ"

Stage 4
Medium-Sized Monster
"Nobody"

マクロファージ
Macrophage

5ステーヅ
ザコモンスター
"マクロファージ"

Stage 5
Zako Monster
Macrophage

5ステーヅ
BOSS
"ウロボロス"

Stage 5
Boss
"Ouroboros"

5ステーヅ (ミサイルサイロ)
BOSS
"ナイトメア"

Stage 5 (Missile Silo)
Boss
"Nightmare"

6ステーヅ
ザコモンスター
"レッドシェル"

Stage 6
Zako Monster
"Red Shell"

http://postimage.org/gallery/5f9m9uw/b3632aed/

berto

I Saw the Devil
TO BE TRANSLATED (ARCHIVE)
アンジェロとダンテが首にかけているペンダントには何らかの因果関係があるように見受けられるが、現時点では詳細など一切不明となっている。

このゲームの主人公は「ダンテ」と言う、銀髪の魔剣士です。赤と黒がメインの渋い服を着こなし、顔もクールそうで男らしく、カッコイイです。
1.はじめまして 初めまして、「Devil May Cry」のディレクター、神谷英樹です。
このコラムを担当することになりました。制作作業も佳境を迎え忙しくなってきましたが、毎回何か面白いことを見つけて、書いていきたいと思います。
まず今回は、「デビル」の名前の由来に付いてお話します。
ご存知の通り、最初は「バイオ4」として開発が進んでいた「デビル」ですが、途中で完全オリジナルに切り替わり、新たなタイトルが必要になりました。
2.新しいバイオ 「デビル メイ
クライ」は当初、プレイステーション2用バイオ最新作として開発がスタートしました。この「高性能の最新ハードで作るバイオ」に対し、更にプロデューサーの三上から「新しいバイオにしてくれ」という命題が提示されました。「新しいバイオ」…この言葉にスタッフは胸をときめかせ、その答えを求めて検討に次ぐ検討の毎日へと突入して行くわけですが…。
その答えは容易に出るものではなく、メインテーマを確立するまでの道のりは困難を極めました。しかしバイオ1、2の制作に携わって来て、自分でも「新しいことがしたい!」と思っていた僕には、明確にやりたいこと思うことがありました。それはフルポリゴンによるビジュアルの表現です。
自由自在なカメラワークという動的な画面によって、バイオのイメージを一新したかったというのもありますが、それ以上に「固定カットの遠くのほうに写ってる主人公じゃカッコ良くない!
敵に向かって銃を撃つ主人公の勇姿を、カッコよく演出したい!」という思いがあったためです。
ここでピンと来ました。「ん…“カッコいい?” そうか、戦いを面白く、そして何よりカッコよく見せる事を前面に出してはどうだろう?
三上も“恐怖”をテーマにしなくてもいいと言ってたし、今回のテーマはこれだ!」 …こうして、カッコいいゲーム作りが第一歩を踏み出したのです。
6.モンスターご紹介 ついに体験版が出ました!!
Devilの記事も、いろいろな雑誌に載り始めましたが、ここではせっかくのコラムですから、雑誌の紹介記事では読めないコトを書いてみましょう。
体験版には、大きく分けて3種類のモンスターが出てきます。まず一番最初に現れるのが、大きな人形の“マリオネット”。コイツはもともと生身の肉体を持った人造人間としてデザインしたのですが、生き物が動くのはフツーだし、せっかくの魔界の住人なんだから…と人形に変更。「じゃあ糸も付けよう」ということになり、木製の操り人形となりました。
次にカマやハサミを持ち、フワフワ飛びまわる死神のような悪魔の「SIN(罪)」。コイツらは、プログラマーの唐やん(本名
唐津麻)が「空を飛ぶヤツが欲しい」とワメくので、じゃあ死神を出そう!と単純に思いついたヤツです。浮いてるのでモーションをケチれる計画だったらしいのですが、凝り出してたら結局膨大な量に増えました。
最後にボスモンスターの「ファントム」。コイツも最初はただ単にクモをデカくしただけのヤツだったのですが、スタッフが「口から火の玉を吐かせたい」と言い出したので、「…じゃあ外骨格の中身を溶岩にしよう」と急遽変更。グツグツいう効果音や、蜃気楼のような灼熱の効果も追加し、迫力のモンスターに生まれ変わりました。
9.背景 デビルの開発当初から、僕は「今回の背景はフルポリゴンで行こう」と考えていました。一枚絵のクオリティよりも、カメラの動きが必要だったからですが、実際にフルポリゴンの背景が出来上がってくると欲が出てきて、「え~…バイオの方が絵がキレイだったじゃん!」と背景スタッフに無理難題を。
背景制作の指揮をとっていたのは、バイオ2でも一緒に仕事をした田崎淳也(通称ジュニア)です。彼を中心にフルポリゴンならではの技術を模索し、レンダリングしたCGに引けを取らない背景が実現すると、今度はそのクオリティを維持するために、更に大量のテクスチャ素材が必要になってきました。
そこで計画されたのが、素材収集のための取材旅行。ゴシック調の彫刻物や、風化して苔むしたリアルな(というか本物の)レンガの壁、石畳、扉などを写真に収めるため、イギリス・スペイン11日間の旅に出ました。
“旅行”と聞いてうらやましく思う人もいるかもしれませんが、スペイン国内を超特急に乗って、一日で東京・大阪間の距離を往復するような、とんでもない強行軍だったのです。しかし苦労の末に手に入れた素材、そしてヨーロッパの空気に触れた経験は、ゲームにすばらしい効果をもたらしたと思います。
10.シナリオの話 シナリオ考案が始まったのは1年半ほど前。当時は、タイトルがまだ「バイオ4」だったので、メインテーマの“カッコ良さ”をバイオの世界観に盛り込む方向で進めました。「人知を超えた能力を持つ不死身の男」という主人公像は、この時に出来上がったものです。バイオの世界ですから、超人的能力はバイオテクノロジーが下敷きになっていて、その体の謎を解くことも物語の柱として盛り込まれていました。
しかしオリジナルタイトルへの変更に伴ない、シナリオも書き直しに。個人的にはバイオの世界で暴れる超人の主人公がかなり気に入っていたのですが…世界観を魔界に変え、自由に書き直してみました。
「ダンテ」という名前が決まったのもこの時で、科学で説明できる“超人”などではなく、もっと付き抜けた、それはもう悪魔のように強いヤツにしてはどうだろう?
難しいことは抜きにして、主人公の強さ、カッコ良さを純粋に楽しめる、単純明快・勧善懲悪なストーリー!
魔界の悪者VS悪魔の血を引くダークヒーロー。しかもそいつは、かつて伝説と謳われた最強魔剣士の血を引く男!
言うこと聞かない悪いヤツは、ブッ飛ばして力でねじ伏せる!
た、楽しい、コッチの方がいい!
僕はたやすく、デビルの世界にのめり込んで行きました…。
11.ミッション制 『デビル』の情報公開が再開しました!
体験版から○ヶ月の間に進化した部分がたくさんあります。その中でも、体験版には無かった全く新しいものが「ミッション制」というシステム。
実は、当初はデビルも「バイオ」と同じように、部屋から部屋へと進んで行くタイプのゲームとして制作を進めていました。しかしデビルの目指す方向性は、派手で爽快なハードアクション。次から次へと現れる強敵を、撃って斬って蹴って殴って倒して行くのがメインで、それに没頭していると、広大なマップの中でいちいち「あれ、このアイテムどこで使うんだっけ?」なんて事を記憶しておくのは、とんでもなく面倒臭い!
…というワケで、丁度いい時間を遊べるような小目的を作り、その中で存分に戦えるようなシステムに変更してみたのです。プレーヤーの行く手を阻む仕掛けも、パズルのようなものではなく、アクションテクニックで乗り越えて行くタイプのものがメイン。このシステムで、デビルは更にスピーディでテンポが良くなり、「カッコ良さ」に一層の磨きがかかりました。
ところで、ボリュームは当初の予定の倍ほどに膨れ上がってます。
一日一クリアできるような、サクッと遊べるゲームにするハズだったんですけどね…おかしいな。
第二回「もっと知りたい? デビルの裏話」 こんにちは。今回はちょっとデビルの各種裏設定についてお話しましょう。
ダンテの持つ、母の形見のアミュレットには「バージル&ダンテ」とのメッセージが刻まれています。この“バージル”こそ、殺されたダンテの双子の兄の名前です。某攻略本で「弟」と誤植があったようですが…ゴメンナサイ、ダンテの方が弟ですのでお間違いなく。
幼い頃に殺された兄と母親の仇を討つため、ダンテは悪魔を狩り続けているのです。
「母親と兄を殺された」という話はダンテの口から語られるだけですが、当初は悪魔の帝王にダンテの兄バージルと母エヴァの命が奪われるエピソードを、回想シーンとして本編に収録する予定でした。…しかし制作期間の問題でカットすることに。なぜ母と兄を殺され、ダンテだけが生き残ったのか?
そのドラマは今はまだ語れませんが、いつか何らかの形で、キチンと作ってみたいと思っています。
コイツはもう、お約束の敵でしょう。
人間界で育った半人半魔のダンテに対して、魔界で鍛えた剛剣を振るう、純粋な魔界騎士。
超人的能力を操るダンテの前に立ちはだかる、同じ能力を持つ者!
伯仲する剣と剣のぶつかり合いってやつです。
ベタですけど、燃えるロマンを感じるではないですか!
モーションもダンテのものを使い回せたりして、作業的にもお得です。
コイツも「バイオ」タイトルの時から設定されていました。
もちろんその時はこんな悪魔のような姿はしていなかったですけれども。
魔界の戦士と設定を変更する際は、モデリング担当者には「ゴツい体で悪魔っぽいヨロイを着ているヤツ」と伝え、後はお任せしました。特徴あるツノの形は、「ザ・セル」に登場するキャラクターを参考にしたようです。
マントもやはりお約束。コレがないと、登場シーンにカッコがつきません。担当プログラマーには大分無理を言いましたけど…。
2メートル以上もある操り人形。コイツはもともとゾンビとしてデザインされたものです。悪趣味な城主が、死体を寄せ集めて作り上げた、フランケンシュタインのようなモンスターという感じ。しかし設定が魔界に変わった際、生き物が動くのはフツーだし、せっかく魔界の住人なんだから、勝手に動く怪しい人形に変更しよう!
ということになり、改造が始まりました。
腐った死体のような質感をすべて木に変え、モーションも糸に吊られたようなブラブラした動きに。こうして画面に出たマリオネットを見ていたら、「いっそのこと糸も付けよう」と勢いも乗って来て…実際にやってみたら、意外と良いではないですか。
今回のモンスタの中では、改造が最もうまく行ったモンスターだと思います。
「クモをデカくしたモンスターを作ろう!」というのが発想の原点です。
まだタイトルが「バイオ」だった時にデザインしたモンスターなので、実在の生物をモチーフにデザインされたものです。…しかし世界観を「魔界」に変更したのに伴い、コイツも何かパワーアップさせてやらなけりゃぁ…と、スタッフ一同ミーティングを開くことになりました。
そのミーティングで、「コイツにマグマを吐かせてはどうか?」というような、意外な意見が出たのですが、当初このファントムは、白い外骨格のスキマから、生々しい肉質の体表が見えている普通(?)の生き物。そんな姿でいきなりマグマを吐いたら、あまりにも違和感があります。しかし魔界のモンスターですから、ダイナミックな溶岩攻撃はさせたい…そこで思いついたのが、コイツの体の中身を、いっそ溶岩にしてしまったはどうか?…というアイディアです。外骨格の中に止めど無く流れる溶岩、攻撃も溶岩。こうして、灼熱の溶岩モンスター”ファントム”が生まれたわけです。
当初は、単に巨大化した黒猫のモンスターとしてデザインされていましたが、世界観の変更に伴って、コイツも魔界モンスターに変更することになりました。
そのミーティングでプログラマーのカラヤン(本名
唐津麻)が「モーフィングモンスターを作りたい」と言い出したので、この黒猫モンスターを、華麗なるモーフィングモンスターに改造する作業が始まったのです。色も黒くて影っぽいし、姿形をいろいろに変化させるには丁度良いモンスターでした。
“ネコのように俊敏に動き回る”という設定はそのままに、全身をカッターのように変えて突進したり、巨大な頭に変態して噛みついて来たりと、魔物らしく、そして「Devil
May Cry」らしい派手なモンスターになりました。
地獄の大君主の名前を付けましたが、見た目は単なるデカいハエ。
ベルゼバブでこだわったのは、地上型と空中型という2種類の存在です。
昆虫の世界にも、オスとメスで姿の違うヤツがいますから、そういった生き物としての存在感を出したかったのです。
デビルでは、モンスターのカッコ良さも狙っていますが、コイツに関してはもうデザインからして生々しい生き物なので、気持ち悪さを徹底的に追及しました。
ウジを吐いたり体液を撒き散らしたり…。ダンテはナイフを投げ付けられたり、カマで切られたりしても動じないですが、こいつのウジ虫攻撃だけは絶対食らいたくないところでしょう。
単純にデッカイ鳥のモンスターを作りたかったのがグリフォン誕生の理由です。
良く見ると頭がたくさんあってちょっと気持ち悪いデザインになっていますが、この辺はバイオ時代の名残です。
最初にモデルを制作して画面に出した時は、もっと小さいサイズでした。僕が「これじゃ小さいよー」と言うと、スタッフは口々に「充分でしょう」と答えましたが、それでもソフトマンに言って1.5倍ほどにデカくしてもらいました。そしたらその巨大感がみんなに大好評。迫力が命のデビルですから、やっぱりそれくらいは行かないとね。もっとデカくしたかったのですが、収まる舞台が無かったのでガマンしました。
ちなみに、コイツが地上で暴れる時のモーションを作る時には「T-レックスみたいにして!」とリクエストしました。僕、恐竜大好きなのですが、デビルに恐竜出すわけには行かないなーと思ったので…でも出せば良かったな(笑)。
実はコイツは、バイオシリーズの「ハンター」をモチーフにデザインしたモンスターです。
ホラーテイストのハンターを、アクションゲームの世界で暴れるアクティブなモンスターに生まれ変わらせるため、全身をよりシャープに、爬虫類に近い躍動感あるシルエットに変更したのです。強力な武器であるツメも更にパワーアップさせ、刀のように長く、切れ味鋭く…というのが名前の由来。
デビル開発中、一番最初に画面に出たのもコイツです。デザイン、モーションアニメーション共に当初から完成度が高く、現在までほとんど変更されていません。ただ世界観を変更し、溶岩弾を吐いたり鎌やハサミを振り回す派手な魔界モンスターが続々出来上がって来ると、単なるトカゲ丸出しで素っ裸のブレイドの姿があまりに貧祖に思えてきて…急遽
盾と兜を着せることに。急場の措置ではありましたが、めちゃくちゃカッコ良くなりました。
コイツに関しては、登場シーンが一番のお気に入り。映画「X-MEN」のウルヴァリンのコミカルな1シーンを拝借したのですが、分かります?
スライムモンスターが欲しい! …という単純な発想で生まれたモンスターです。しかし、ただドロドロしているだけでは面白くないので、まぶしい光を受けると硬い殻を被って固まるような性質を持たせ、ゲル状の時には、ドロドロの体の中に殻の部品や、これまでに取り込んだ人間の白骨がプカプカ浮いている…というデザインが出来上がりました。
昔遊んだ「スライム」というオモチャがヒントになっています。
デビルにおいては、ボス級のモンスターは皆人間の言葉を話しますが、コイツはロボットのように行動し、喋ったとしてもR2―D2のようにピポピポとマシン語(?)を話すような、そんなヤツをイメージしました。目も鼻も口も無いし、話しそうにないですしね…。
「ウィーン」とモーターのような音と共にハッチが開いて中からコアが出て来たり、バルカン砲を連射したり、ミサイルを発射したり…ワケの分からないヤツです(笑)。
デビルに関しては「悪魔ってのは、こう!」というルールを特に決めていません。
カッコ良ければ、面白ければなんでもアリの精神で制作に望みました。ですから、コイツのような悪魔もアリなのです。個人的に大好きなヤツです。
コイツに飲み込まれると、異空間というか、悪夢の精神世界に飛ばされますが、これは現場スタッフのアイデア。まさに「ナイトメア(悪夢)」の名前にふさわしい攻撃です。​

berto

I Saw the Devil
Thank you for sharing with us Berto san :D
Your welcome, but don't call me 'san,' I haven't taken martial arts in years. The mexican equivalent would be 'don' and it goes before the name, don McdD.

From the beggening Kamiya wanted a woman in full leather. I guess that also dropped down to Bayonetta.

It wasn't just Kamiya, ether. It seems that the character of Paula from Shadows of the Damned, (creative) produced by Mikami, was inspired by Trish as well, at least to a degree.

ZeroLove

Looking back at this, I am SO glad it didn't turn out to be part of the Resident Evil series. It just wouldn't fit into it, imo. It turned out great as a new series though. :D

berto

I Saw the Devil
Oh, damn. The forums this came from is down...

I don't know how to archive this.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
Crazy to think the first incarnation of Resident Evil 4 (the game that reshaped the series) eventually became the first Devil May Cry, an equally as fantastic series of its own.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Does no one else find it odd that even as a RE project the main character was always Dante?

I was always under the assumbtion that the main character was Leon and it got changed once it became DMC.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Not really. It's a fact though, that RE4's Leon, shares many similarities with Dante character wise. The cocky/talking back attitude for once.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Not really. It's a fact though, that RE4's Leon, shares many similarities with Dante character wise. The cocky/talking back attitude for once.
That's pretty standard behaviour for a Shinji Mikami main character, there's Dante, Leon, Vanessa, Sam. They all have a certain bravado and additude that rings common with them, they share some odd similareties that are hard to pin point.

berto

I Saw the Devil
And some more:

神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya‏
don't remember,sorry...RT @ashukan_san @PG_kamiya Can you please tell me his name:
http://www.ephotobay.com/share/11-30.html@PG_kamiyaHmm...I
神谷英樹 HidekiKamiya‏@PG_kamiya
Oh, now I remember. His name was Lord Spencer.
神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya ‏@PG_kamiya
For the source of super power of the lead character. RT @NewsBotPU was there a story behind the usage of the G-Virus in ur version of BIO4?

He doesn't remember that much about it, so he just said "maybe" when I asked him if it was the cause of Spencer's 100+ year old age.
But it's likely, I guess.
Spencer is old when he first acquires the G-Virus, then he injects himself and becomes immortal and superhuman, but at the same age when he first got it so he creates two bio-engineered sons infused with the virus in order for them to succeed him

http://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/24941745503
http://twitter.com/PG_kamiya/status/24942239669

Witch.png

abft_05.jpg

"Witch" was a medium-sized monster that appeared in Stage 1.
Witch_F.jpg

[Illustration of Shadow from Devil May Cry]
According to Kamiya-san, "It was originally designed as a black cat monster which merely became gigantic, but we also remodeled this guy into a demon world monster with the changed world-view."
Underground.png

Judging from the artwork, it may have appeared in the "Underground Colosseum" stage.

Marionette.png

Zombies became the large wooden puppets called "Marionette". The above illustration seems to be modified from the Bio4 era since rotten flesh is visible.
Marionette_F.jpg

According to Kamiya-san, "Dolls that stand over 2 meters tall. These guys were originally designed as zombies. The sense is a monster like Frankenstein that the tacky castellan has created by putting corpses together. But it's normal how the creatures moved so we tried with much effort to turn them into weird dolls that move involuntary when the setting changed because they're inhabitants of Hell!"
Untranslated
Quote:
コイツはもともと生身の肉体を持った人造人間としてデザインしたのですが、生き物が動くのはフツーだし、せっかくの魔界の住人なんだから…と人形に変更。「じゃあ糸も付けよう」ということになり、木製の操り人形となりました。
gsdx_20120516002646.png

gsdx_20120516002942.png

gsdx_20120516003013.png

In addition, here's the only unnamed monster which appeared in the underwater stage.
Unnamed.png

berto

I Saw the Devil
LORD SPENCER, KING OF THE CASTLE
Spencer6.png

Spencer7.png

Original Spencer coat of arms inscribed with, "FORTES FORTUNAJUVAT" (Fortune favors the brave).
gsdx_20120516001125.png

Same mark on the flag outside Spencer's castle at the beginning of DMC and throughout the castle.
Spencer1.png

The text of the speech bubble reads, “There is a court!” BioTech says it’s probably referring to a courtyard or garden.
Spencer2.png

"An illustration of the Count who was setup as boss in the initial setting of Devil May Cry. A European-style man who seems to be strong opponent." -Tsuchibayashi-san ( p.128)
Ashkin's question to Kamiya:
Quote:
Why Spencer's left eye is red?http://bit.ly/aQ5Htq
HK: I don't know. Maybe he is angry or something.
Spencer3.png

Portrait "Count's Family"
"For this illustration, Shimoda-san from background design gave the main points as to how to decorate the hallway. But in this picture, I think there's something unnatural... normally, the woman would sit in the chair, with the man standing nearby, right? And so, with this old man being the only one sitting... as you'd expect, an evil mastermind is different to an ordinary man." -Director Kamiya
Ashkin's questions to Kamiya about the woman:
Quote:
If she's not Eva, who is she then? what's her name?
HK: She was a hero's mother only in the first plot.

Can you please tell me her name?
HK: She didn't have a name.

So did Lord Spencer killed hero's mother in Biohazard4 ?
HK: Kill? What's that?

SO SHE WAS ALIVE! HERO'S MOTHER WAS ALIVE!
HK: Only in the first plot...

Lord Spencer and his son was Tony right? what about Vergil?
HK: Paul or something... just a temporary name.
Spencer9.png

All Tsuchibayashi-san says is that he drew twin children at the time when the game was still a Biohazard title and that's why he inserted the Umbrella mark. (Makoto, p.123)
Untranslated
JdSpF.jpg

Spencer4.png

1130d.jpg

Ashkin's questions to Kamiya:
Quote:
Who is this guy in your Biohazard4:
HK: Hero's father in a 1st plot,I think.
HK: Hmm...I don't remember,sorry...
HK: But in the 1st plot the hero's name was Tony.
HK: Oh, now I remember. His name was Lord Spencer.
Spencer5.png

Count
"Back when the game was still a "Bio" title, this guy was the Count that we set up as the mastermind. He was the king of the old castle for some hundreds of years, and holds Dante, with an unfortunate destiny introducing the two people... that sort of development. Even looking at this design picture, I think you can understand that we seemed to be taking a route that wasn't like the "Bio" series so far.
This feeling of the "old man being the mastermind" was always in my heart, and even after the title changed I continued to draw from this strong image. One meaning of this is that you could say he was a prototype for the Demon Lord Mundus. When he transforms into a human in this world, he would look something like this." -Director Kamiya

Spencer8.png

Spencer transformed. Newsbot suggested he's actually a G-human.

berto

I Saw the Devil
PG_kamiya 神谷英樹 Hideki Kamiya
Kinda more complicated. RT @StandardCA: @PG_Kamiya In 1st ver.Bio4 bit.ly/qDQ1zW Did Dante become evil after battle with Spencer?
Jul 12, 7:02 PM via Seesmic

Other Kamiya twitters related to this game.
When BIO4 we hadn't made that much. RT @ashukan_san: @PG_kamiya Is Mundus statue in DMC was originally the Lord Specer's statue in BIO4?
posted at 16:11:44
デビルになる前の刑事ダンテは設定本にも載ってるぜ… RT @NickRoxNRX ほう!DMCになる前のバイオ4の主人公、てっきりウェスカーかと思いました。コードベロニカで披露されたアクロバティックなアクションがその予兆…というわけではなかったですね。
NickRoxNRX asked Kamiya if the hero of Devil May Cry was Wesker due to his abilities. Kamiya answered, "Dante was a detective before becoming a devil in the scenario..."

The 3-headed Cerberus appears as a statue in remake and enemey in Outbreak .
Undead_Dog.png

4ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"アンデッド・ドッグ"
Stage 4
Medium-Sized Monster
"Undead Dog"
The bat may have appeared in DMC as the enemy "Plasma".
Bat.png

Bat_F.jpg

The 2 types of "Macrophage".
Macrophage.png

マクロファージ
Macrophage
Macrophage1.png

5ステーヅ
ザコモンスター
"マクロファージ"
Stage 5
Zako Monster
Macrophage
Zako monster generally means the most powerful geneic monster at the end of a stage.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Dsi09.png

The scenario back when this was a "Bio" title was that we planned not to finish with one story, but to have something on a grander scale, with time progressing in each part. For this design sketch, the protagonist Dante was drawn after several decades, when he would appear again, more dignified. It might have already pinged for the sharper people that this became the basis for the "Legendary Dark Knight" costume in the actual game.

Notice the Umbrella pendant?

zckoe.png

"An image painting of Dante after several decades. It's a calm setting that's pretty out of the atmosphere since later on in the game Dante has various experiences." -Tsuchibayashi (p.124)

(p.124)

iaaX2.gif

The skull was removed from the final release.
eY5IW.png

AkrZn.png

YMRqC.png

Ingame screens of future Dante's final model.
8UdFh.png

People who may have worked on the Biohazard 4 version.

berto

I Saw the Devil
a60c7.png

1ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"G・クロウ"
Stage 1
Medium-Sized Monster
"G Crow"
wuJHY.png

Stage 2
Medium-Sized Monster
"Hydra"
Quote:
In Greek mythology, the Lernaean Hydra (Greek: About this sound Λερναία Ὕδρα) was an ancient nameless serpent-like chthonic water beast, with reptilian traits, (as its name evinces) that possessed many heads — the poets mention more heads than the vase-painters could paint, and for each head cut off it grew two more — and poisonous breath so virulent even her tracks were deadly.​
KNn2A.png

2ステーヅ
ザコモンスター
"G・リーチ"
Stage 2
Zako Monster
"G Leech"
SJ5IU.png

2ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"グリフォン・ベビー"
Stage 2
Medium-Sized Monster
"Griffon Baby"
JmIJ6.png

T6211.png

2ステーヅ
BOSS
"グリフォン"
Stage 3
Boss
"Kraken"
Appeared in the "Wrecked Ship" stage.

Kraken are legendary sea monsters of giant proportions said to dwell off the coasts of Norway and Iceland.

S8epq.png

6ステーヅ
ザコモンスター
"レッドシェル"
Stage 6
Zako Monster
"Red Shell"

KPeCo.png

2nZth.jpg

「クモをデカくしたモンスターを作ろう!」というのが発想の原点です。
まだタイトルが「バイオ」だった時にデザインしたモンスターなので、実在の生物をモチーフにデザインされたものです。…しかし世界観を「魔界」に変更したのに伴い、コイツも何かパワーアップさせてやらなけりゃぁ…と、スタッフ一同ミーティングを開くことになりました。
そのミーティングで、「コイツにマグマを吐かせてはどうか?」というような、意外な意見が出たのですが、当初このファントムは、白い外骨格のスキマから、生々しい肉質の体表が見えている普通(?)の生き物。そんな姿でいきなりマグマを吐いたら、あまりにも違和感があります。しかし魔界のモンスターですから、ダイナミックな溶岩攻撃はさせたい…そこで思いついたのが、コイツの体の中身を、いっそ溶岩にしてしまったはどうか?…というアイディアです。外骨格の中に止めど無く流れる溶岩、攻撃も溶岩。こうして、灼熱の溶岩モンスター”ファントム”が生まれたわけです。

最後にボスモンスターの「ファントム」。コイツも最初はただ単にクモをデカくしただけのヤツだったのですが、スタッフが「口から火の玉を吐かせたい」と言い出したので、「…じゃあ外骨格の中身を溶岩にしよう」と急遽変更。グツグツいう効果音や、蜃気楼のような灼熱の効果も追加し、迫力のモンスターに生まれ変わりました。

OUROBOROS
GVvMp.png

5ステーヅ
BOSS
"ウロボロス"
Stage 5
Boss
"Ouroboros"
BEZZLEBUB
kdC7O.png

itJ7X.png

OPB7D.png

1ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"ベルゼバブ"
Stage 1
Medium-Sized Monster
"Beelzebub"
1ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"ベルゼバブ" (地下型)
Stage 1
Medium-Sized Monster
"Beelzebub" (Underground type)
1ステーヅ
中型モンスター
"ベルゼバブ" (飛行型)
Stage 1
Medium-Sized Monster
"Beelzebub" (Flying type)
gRcwT.jpg

地獄の大君主の名前を付けましたが、見た目は単なるデカいハエ。
ベルゼバブでこだわったのは、地上型と空中型という2種類の存在です。
昆虫の世界にも、オスとメスで姿の違うヤツがいますから、そういった生き物としての存在感を出したかったのです。
デビルでは、モンスターのカッコ良さも狙っていますが、コイツに関してはもうデザインからして生々しい生き物なので、気持ち悪さを徹底的に追及しました。
ウジを吐いたり体液を撒き散らしたり…。ダンテはナイフを投げ付けられたり、カマで切られたりしても動じないですが、こいつのウジ虫攻撃だけは絶対食らいたくないところでしょう。

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom