• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The old fans are not to blame by the lack of sales

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
In which case Capcom wouldn't have bothered to outsource if they were just going to rehash again, which is what there were so many complaints about in the first place. Capcom TOLD NT to change it drastically when the first concepts back were essentially DMC5, not a reboot.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
...one needs to question the rushed half-job on the last entry in the series, and the decision to pretty much vault away their iconic franchise of 25 years...for the 25th anniversery. yeah, Capcom's not exactly know for being all that intelligent these days since Team 4, Inufune, and several others left...

vakarian23

It does not really matter who is to blame. After all, those suffering are the guys from NT. Their hard work is being bashed all the way for, in most cases, ridiculous reasons.
Just take a look at the user reviews at metacritic. Anyone giving this game a 0/10 has no idea what actual criticism is. I can understand both the people who like and those who dislike this game - but only those who do so for a proper reason.

DmC has flaws but had it been released under a different name with different characters it would have received much better reception from the public.
From my point of view, the bad word of mouth advertising (if I may call it that way) had a significant impact on this game's current situation.

No matter how DmC/DMC's future will look like, I hope NT will make a game someday that gets the sales it deserves.

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
One has to question the wisdom of picking a studio known mainly for failure and outsourcing their writing to competent people.
One needs to question why a franchise like Call of Duty (yes, that card again and it is damn well beaten) or any other generic, rehashed franchise is bought over and over and over, again and again while games like Ni No Kuni, Journey, the DMC series, Spec Ops: The Line, Dragon's Dogma, Binary Domain, the Fire Emblem series, the Sly Cooper series, Muramasa: The Demon Blade, Sleeping Dogs, and many other titles that are left to rot while generic games given much more attention than they need to. Games that try: die, and games that sleeps: reaps.

And no, I'm not bashing on the fans; I don't give jack squat what you like and what you don't like. It's just people not going beyond their borders and learning and experiencing new things that frustrates me. And yes, I know that people don't have all this free time and people aren't all the same and that the economy is absolute utter crap. But some people just follow the herd and don't branch off to try something else.

And no I'm not saying Call of Duty, Battlefield, Crysis, Mass Effect, Street Fighter, or whatever popular games are complete trash or that DmC: Devil May Cry, and whatever else games that are generally not as popular as the titans are treasures that idiots can't see for some incomprehensible reason.

You can't blame the people for not liking something, be interested, having the money, time or whatever for not buying games. And you can't blame companies for making games that people aren't buying for whatever reason. What? Are you going to blame Nintendo for making Mario because it sells and Castlevania: Lord of Shadows isn't ? Or blame Sucker Punch for making inFamous because it didn't sell as much as say Mass Effect?

What you can blame for the lack of sales is bad marketing, reception, or reputation. Capcom/Ninja Theory and Konami/Platinum Games decided to develop games not faithful to the original; a reboot/re-telling/whatever with DmC: Devil May Cry and a hack n' slash game instead of a stealth game with Metal Gear Rising: Revengeance. People from both sides didn't like the main characters; DmC Dante aka the "emo" who is actually a punk that "replaced" DMC Dante and Raiden aka the guy who stole the spotlight from Solid Snake in Metal Gear Solid 2, which royally ****ed off fans. Both companies had history to them that people didn't like; Ninja Theory had a history of poor gameplay and glitches and Platinum Games had a history of poor/over-the-top story. Frustrating the consumers, yeah, you can blame that.

DankestDarkness

Wondering sprit from hell
It does not really matter who is to blame. After all, those suffering are the guys from NT. Their hard work is being bashed all the way for, in most cases, ridiculous reasons.
Just take a look at the user reviews at metacritic. Anyone giving this game a 0/10 has no idea what actual criticism is. I can understand both the people who like and those who dislike this game - but only those who do so for a proper reason.

DmC has flaws but had it been released under a different name with different characters it would have received much better reception from the public.
From my point of view, the bad word of mouth advertising (if I may call it that way) had a significant impact on this game's current situation.

No matter how DmC/DMC's future will look like, I hope NT will make a game someday that gets the sales it deserves.
I agree that this game don't deserve a 0/10 it's not that bad but not that good it deserves a 6/10 but NT ain't all that good a whole bunch of ideas was taken from other games into this one they ain't really original they rip off alot of games

HatredIsJoy

1) Aha! Another excuse to repost this:
View attachment 335
Oh Erik, you can **** me whenever you want you stud.:shifty:

2)Complaining about 0/10 scores is pointless because the entire scoring system of modern gaming journalism consists of "Awful"/"GOTYbuyitnow". Most people will always stick to picking from lowest and highest possible scores, get used to it.

3)So what if Capcom told NT to change stuff? Metroid Prime was even more different, and yet even the rabid haters ended up loving it because the developers were competent enough to made a really good game.

Macabre

Your Friend and Mine
1) Aha! Another excuse to repost this:
View attachment 335
Oh Erik, you can **** me whenever you want you stud.:shifty:

My face when Kain is deified:

240full.jpg

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
no one should be forced to buy video games
Is this going to be one of those 'don't blame us for poor sales because we said we're not getting it booja' threads? Because I thought this was going to be a good discussion based on the thread title but your first post completely threw me for a loop.

...ah what the hell was I thinking. Good discussion and DmC don't mix.

Agent47_89

The sales basically mean that if some DMC fans can affect the sales, then there wasn't much demand for dmc anyway. Bayonetta did only mediocre sales and the sequel had to come out on Wii U. DMC5 wouldn't have done that great.

DankestDarkness

The sales basically mean that if some DMC fans can affect the sales, then there wasn't much demand for dmc anyway. Bayonetta did only mediocre sales and the sequel had to come out on Wii U. DMC5 wouldn't have done that great.
I believe DMC 5 would have done way better than this one honestly maybe a little bit more better than part 4

Agent47_89

I believe DMC 5 would have done way better than this one honestly maybe a little bit more better than part 4
Probably more sales than DmC but not more than 4. Bayonetta got something along the lines of 2.5m or so, and that wasn't enough for a sequel.

It's not like the PS2 generation were the prices were cheaper and you afford to take a gamble.

DankestDarkness

Probably more sales than DmC but not more than 4. Bayonetta got something along the lines of 2.5m or so, and that wasn't enough for a sequel.

It's not like the PS2 generation were the prices were cheaper and you afford to take a gamble.
That was a good game tho but yea you right prices went up after ps2 days

RhythmDemon

Half Demon
Well in my opinion we should be to blame. But I want us to be to blame. I want them to know that if they change an iconic game too much we wont buy it :/ . Too many games are doing pointless reboots and they are just dumb most of the time. I buy games mainly for my interest in the main character and then if the story is good I fall in love with that after. Just like how I think of god of war. It is an amazing game I have played them all but I never actually bought them because I am not a huge fan of the main character.( Going to get hate for this one haha.) The same goes with DmC. I dont mind that they changed Dante I really dont but they turned him into someone I could not like as a character. Now in no way am I saying that new DmC is terrible but it did not live up to my expectations as a game in the series character wise.(That is every character. Not.Just.Dante.)

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Well in my opinion we should be to blame. But I want us to be to blame. I want them to know that if they change an iconic game too much we wont buy it :/ . Too many games are doing pointless reboots and they are just dumb most of the time. I buy games mainly for my interest in the main character and then if the story is good I fall in love with that after. Just like how I think of god of war. It is an amazing game I have played them all but I never actually bought them because I am not a huge fan of the main character.( Going to get hate for this one haha.) The same goes with DmC. I dont mind that they changed Dante I really dont but they turned him into someone I could not like as a character. Now in no way am I saying that new DmC is terrible but it did not live up to my expectations as a game in the series character wise.(That is every character. Not.Just.Dante.)
It's not just the games industry doing reboots. Bloody Hollywood rebooting left, right and centre. Either that or Hollywood makes a Western version of an Asian film>_< I read recently they are rebooting The Grinch Film. So what, the Grinch is going to go back in time and kill himself to stop past Grinch runing christmas?! :lol:

I started off really hating DmC so much, thinking what have they done to Dante?! But the more I saw, the more I warmed up to it. But, that's just me. I don't mind if DmC is the only one made. I'd also like a DMC5 just to answer all the questions left by 4 and the cliffhanger ending of 2.

At the end of the day, Capcom has to do what is best for them financially. They want to be lucrative and make a profit by any means. Now whether this means another DmC, a DMC5 or just abandoining the whole Devil may cry brand is up to them.

Agent47_89

Reboots such as...?

The only ones I can think of is Tomb Raider and reboots of really old games like Zombiu.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
Reboots such as...?

The only ones I can think of is Tomb Raider and reboots of really old games like Zombiu.
Not exactly a reboot, but so many Mario games and Zelda, Final fantasy, COD and pokemon made for each genration of consoles. It's like companies want to play it safe by rehashing the same over again. Sure, I understand if a property sells well in the financial downturn that they would want to keep making it for safe, guaranteed sales, but it's just getting silly now. The games industry needs to break out of all this and be fresh.

Agent47_89

Not exactly a reboot, but so many Mario games and Zelda, Final fantasy, COD and pokemon made for each genration of consoles. It's like companies want to play it safe by rehashing the same over again. Sure, I understand if a property sells well in the financial downturn that they would want to keep making it for safe, guaranteed sales, but it's just getting silly now. The games industry needs to break out of all this and be fresh.

Wasn't that the purpose of a reboot, so it could start afresh?

Mario, pokemon and Zelda are old series and aimed at kids. There's isn't much they can do to keep it fresh for older fans.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
i classify "haters into two groups.

first: someone who just doesnt like DmC. their not attacking it, they just plain dont like it. they dont want to buy it they dont want to spend their time playing it. theyd rather just play their DMC HD collection in peace and hope that a DMC5 comes out or at least DmC2 will be more true to the source material. while wishing fans of the new DmC would stop pushing the game on them. these people i like.

second: absolute twats. these are the people who actively go around and try to ruin DmC. they go to various websites and create multiple accounts to give DmC bad reveiws and scores to prevent as many people from playing it as possible. sending hate mail and death threats to anyone involved with the game. they just want to be able to point and laugh at NT and Capcom regardless of anything else. (and if you really think modern critics are just 0/10 or 10/10 OMFG then your reading the wrong kind of reveiws). these people i want to gather up in some sort of camp where i will repeated kick them in the balls until their brains leak out of their eyeballs.

ie, are "haters" to blame for DmC not selling as well as Capcom hoped? the people that outright lynch the game before playing it and go around trying to make sure noone else does, probably arent helping. but there are a lot of other figures in play. the timing was terrible...i mean january SERIOUSLY!!! noone buys anything in january because they just bought a ton of stuff in December i mean whyyyyyyyy! also, marketing on this game could have used some serious investment, the demo was good but how about a genuine ad at some point.

aaah well. say what u will. buy it or dont. i just hope we get a DmC2. :D

Top Bottom