• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Finale

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I double posted. Forgive me for that.

Yes, I wish the other user I responded to had a grasp on what overkill is. If they're willing to make a video such as that, what is stopping them from sending death threats?

I don't exactly understand what there is to hate about the reboot. If it weren't called that, it'd be a prequel to DMC 3. A deeper look at Dante's origins. Of course, you get a different Dante, it's DMC tradition.

Huh, I don't think I saw the double post; nothing to worry about.

Some may be capable of going too far, but I imagine the video was merely a bluff, or a way to express their agitation. It was still ridiculous beyond words, not to mention irresponsible of them; if they hadn't intended to be taken seriously, they shouldn't have made the video. Expressing their dislike of the game is one thing-what they did is quite another.

There are a whole plethora of reasons why I don't like the reboot-some of which have nothing to do with it being linked to Devil May Cry, in fact. But, as I've stated countless times, despite not liking it myself, I fault no one else for feeling differently.

I do have to agree with some of what DragonMaster and Vineboss have stated; it does seem like you're lumping everyone into the same category. Like them, I do believe in individual responsibility. People should be accountable for their own actions, not someone else's.

That said, those few individuals who do send death threats-in regards to any form of entertainment-do have a tendency of tarnishing the rest of us. Unfortunately, the media plays a key part in that; they generalize and point the finger at an entire group based on the actions of a few.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Really interesting with the MGR swearing collection there on Capcom-Unity.

No I can't see why you want to see death threats in the form of comics and metal songs. Unless you want to see if it were a friends or your very own work that made it to the eyes of Capcom and NT. Maybe I got you pegged wrong, maybe you're looking for a cheap laugh or two. Maybe you wanna see what was said. I don't know, but it sounds like you are fond of twisted moments in people's lives. Which disappoints me even further.

I'm thinking you don't belong here in this thread anymore. What you're speaking on is a thing of the past that is a downright low point for gamers everywhere.

All of this because you don't like Tameem? You've been searching for proof of death threats for years. Stop searching. You're not going to find Tupac's killer. Aliens aren't real. The government isn't watching. It's all in your head.

Don't think that I'm talking about DMC death threats. I'm taking gaming in general. You're talking DMC death threats and not seeing the bigger picture. You're stuck. Solve your problem. You're obsessed.

Honestly, I don't like hardcore conspiracy theorist who can't gather their known facts, connect them, and come up with a conclusion. Either you believe these death threats exist or you don't. Choose. Then stop asking us.

Don't mind IncaDemo, I myself got into this very problem with her before. She's willing to accept that death threats were sent to Kojima for MGS4, but thinks that Tameem is lying about the ones he got for DmC because we have no proof. She's exceedingly biased against DmC - never played it, parrots others' opinions, and consistently believes misinformation over facts when they're convenient.

Why does everyone feel the need to draw parallels between DmC and MGR? They are very clearly linked by many concepts, like genre and developer history and maybe by release date, but they are not that similar. I wish people would stop pointing from one to the other to try to make a point, I don't find them valid in reasoning nor compatible on those perimeters alone. Under the same reasoning I'd say compare it to Ninja Gaiden while you're at it, it has just as many parallels to DmC as MGR does.

I'm with you there. DmC is still a spectacle fighter like the others in the franchise, while MGR is a slasher about efficiently and quickly defeating enemies. They're apples and oranges, really.

The problem is that because Platinum was making MGR, they figured it'd be like Bayonetta, and therefore be waaaaaaaaaay better than DmC, which was releasing at the same time. It was some bullshit competition cooked up by some angry dorks, like how people try to do to Battlefield and CoD or Skyrim and Dark Souls. It's just annoying :/

-----------------

On a sidenote people, just because there was mention of a comic and some metal song doesn't mean those comprise the whole of the death threats, and seeing them or not seeing them isn't the point. The point is the actual death threats that may be tossed around to any developer, as such what happened with Ninja Theory and Kojima.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Really interesting with the MGR swearing collection there on Capcom-Unity.

Don't mind IncaDemo, I myself got into this very problem with her before. She's willing to accept that death threats were sent to Kojima for MGS4, but thinks that Tameem is lying about the ones he got for DmC because we have no proof. She's exceedingly biased against DmC - never played it, parrots others' opinions, and consistently believes misinformation over facts when they're convenient.

I'm with you there. DmC is still a spectacle fighter like the others in the franchise, while MGR is a slasher about efficiently and quickly defeating enemies. They're apples and oranges, really.

The problem is that because Platinum was making MGR, they figured it'd be like Bayonetta, and therefore be waaaaaaaaaay better than DmC, which was releasing at the same time. It was some bullshit competition cooked up by some angry dorks, like how people try to do to Battlefield and CoD or Skyrim and Dark Souls. It's just annoying :/

-----------------

On a sidenote people, just because there was mention of a comic and some metal song doesn't mean those comprise the whole of the death threats, and seeing them or not seeing them isn't the point. The point is the actual death threats that may be tossed around to any developer, as such what happened with Ninja Theory and Kojima.

Getting a little off-topic there: i do agree with this about MGR and DmC/DMC. One is about efficiency pure and simple, it's very hard to predict fights in Ninja Gaiden (that's why we don't have so many combo videos on NG/S too) and MGR and the other is about having that room to go crazy on enemies while still paying some attention to the surroundings. In a simplification: NG and MGR are much more defense-based hack'n'slash (that's why Ryu and Raiden are that defensive powerhouses with their parrys/counters, the reverse wind, wind path, guillotine throw for easy i-frames) while DMC is much more offense-based where you have clear windows to tackle on your enemy and you don't have to focus too much on opening their defenses (just avoiding their "attack phase") while avoiding damage at all costs.

The Final Offer

Huh, I don't think I saw the double post; nothing to worry about.

I do have to agree with some of what DragonMaster and Vineboss have stated; it does seem like you're lumping everyone into the same category. Like them, I do believe in individual responsibility. People should be accountable for their own actions, not someone else's.

I see and I think I understand every perspective. I'll try to establish what I'm saying in a different way.

Example:

The actions of one, inside of a fraternity, can and will affect the group. If one person goes anonymous and sabotages another fraternity house with the home fraternity's symbol. The end result is all of them being blamed, guilty or not.

Don't take my thread (or me) as bashing and accusing. It's meant to be informative to those who don't know how their over emotional actions can affect us all. In this case, we are Devil May Cry fans, we are apart of that fanbase, that's why we're here on this Devil May Cry forum isn't it?

The gamble involved that involves us, is losing Devil May Cry for good. Obviously, alot of us care about the franchise.

If any of you can flip my words around after that. Then I'm fine with moving on to another subject.

The Final Offer

Getting a little off-topic there: i do agree with this about MGR and DmC/DMC. One is about efficiency pure and simple, it's very hard to predict fights in Ninja Gaiden (that's why we don't have so many combo videos on NG/S too) and MGR and the other is about having that room to go crazy on enemies while still paying some attention to the surroundings. In a simplification: NG and MGR are much more defense-based hack'n'slash (that's why Ryu and Raiden are that defensive powerhouses with their parrys/counters, the reverse wind, wind path, guillotine throw for easy i-frames) while DMC is much more offense-based where you have clear windows to tackle on your enemy and you don't have to focus too much on opening their defenses (just avoiding their "attack phase") while avoiding damage at all costs.

Defense based? DmC has more than one way to play it and build meter.

-Epic Parry, Parry, Demon Dodge, (AYE!) Angel Dodge, Kicker, Uppercut (AYE!)

Dont mind the song. I'm just happy about life right now.

MGR has a hole in it's difficulty (So does NG). I started on HARD as soon as I got ahold of it. Learned Parry and Dodge slash by the second stage. Easy as pie. What you're saying is that your playstyle involves defense whilst mines involves aggression, all aggression. Sometimes when a game has a crappy camera, you're going to switch your playstyle accordingly. Off camera cheap shots are what give you the illusion that the game is difficult. When in truth, if you could see your opponents. you wouldn't have to guess what's going on and take a defensive stance.

This is why I don't take first person shooters (SP) seriously.

I want to get some things clear here. In no way, am I saying these games are not challenging when placed one on several (with the camera adjusted to include them all). It's just the way I get hit is always from behind. I can't do sexy things when I'm hit.>.< Enemies jumping onto the fight scene stealthily and attacking after I've dispatched several in a 360 degree angle is not cool.
___________________________________________________________________________________
Side Note:

If anyone hasn't noticed already. We can seamlessly flow into conversations.

I want everyone to feel as if there isn't really a topic to be on 24/7. You get a thought about something in video games like our beloved hack and slash franchise and wanna share it. Go right on ahead.

When you wanna get on the topic at the start just quote it and we can jump back in.

Honestly, I feel like I lost some time chatting with everyone.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
I figured it wasn't your intent to offend; likewise, I hope you took no offense in what I said.

In any case, it is a valid point; it isn't necessarily fair that the whole group will suffer for the actions of a few, but honestly, there isn't much in this world that is fair. Just like with fraternities, it's the same for military regiments, as well. Unless the individuals responsible speak up, and take responsibility for their actions, they wind up dragging the rest of their fellow what-have-yous down with them.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Defense based? DmC has more than one way to play it and build meter.

-Epic Parry, Parry, Demon Dodge, (AYE!) Angel Dodge, Kicker, Uppercut (AYE!)

Dont mind the song. I'm just happy about life right now.

MGR has a hole in it's difficulty (So does NG). I started on HARD as soon as I got ahold of it. Learned Parry and Dodge slash by the second stage. Easy as pie. What you're saying is that your playstyle involves defense whilst mines involves aggression, all aggression. Sometimes when a game has a crappy camera, you're going to switch your playstyle accordingly. Off camera cheap shots are what give you the illusion that the game is difficult. When in truth, if you could see your opponents. you wouldn't have to guess what's going on and take a defensive stance.

I think you've switched both: MGR and NG are more defense-based games. If you play NG too agressively you'll die in every IS Ninja encounters in the game even on normal/hard, they're pretty much the epitome of how sharp your defense have to be in that game: if you dodge or reverse wind in the wrong time, you'll get damaged and hitstunned in his long strings, which can be death in higher difficulties if there's any other enemy around, if you stay still too much, you'll get grabbed by him or enemies around (they are never really alone aside from Ch.1, i think) which means instant death in NGS2, in NGS it's not insta death but you'll eat a truck of damage and you're dependant on healing items and blue essence in this game (meaning that either way, you have to kill enemies or/and progress in the game to have your health refilled). Not to mention the fiends in NGS2 that have super armor in every single move they have and at least 3 or 2 moves that can kill you instantly in MNM (the ground punch, the close grab and the dash grab), the red ninjas in NGS/NGB have some of the same mechanics of the IS ninjas but are more powerful in melee and dirty with their grabs, the cats in NGS/NGB are another pain in the ass and they can flying swallow to break you guard or catch you off the air, they can counter Izuna Drops too and i think they are the only ones that can do this; the NG series is really a lesson on how to design enemies to keep the player on his toes.

I don't really think difficulty in defense is the most proeminent aspect on DmC, you have universal ways to evade attacks that are pretty good and cover pretty much everything in the game if you have the reactions to do this. While NG and MGR have enemies that can grab you or put you into combo strings or even attacks that breaks guard, meaning you have to think/react before taking any defensive action; NG2/NGS2 specially has enemies that deal chip damage on you, one more way for them force you to move around constantly and not get too lazy with your defense. The cues aren't too favorable for the player in NG too, there's attacks in the game that you have be aware of instead of reacting to them or you'll get in bad positions (ie: the dragon boss that can hit you with his tail, and that **** even breaks guard).

The cameras can get crappy in NG games (they also does in DmC), but the difficulty does not come from this. NGS/NGB is a game that i find genuinely difficult without relying on cheap things like NGS2/NG2 does (insta death/constant spamming of things that forces you to have i-frames going on all the time). The experience on NGS2 is pretty rewarding and makes for a good adrenaline rush (while still keeping that methodical approach to some extent), but in terms of game design/enemy design i find NGB/NGS much more solid and "fair" with the player, aside from the guys with grenade launchers in NGS/NGB, i find the game pretty much very solid and doesn't make you rely too much on luck; as you can methodically take out your opponents by their weaknesses and have general plans for the fights.

The Final Offer

I think you've switched both: MGR and NG are more defense-based games. If you play NG too agressively you'll die in every IS Ninja encounters in the game even on normal/hard, they're pretty much the epitome of how sharp your defense have to be in that game: if you dodge or reverse wind in the wrong time, you'll get damaged and hitstunned in his long strings, which can be death in higher difficulties if there's any other enemy around, if you stay still too much, you'll get grabbed by him or enemies around (they are never really alone aside from Ch.1, i think) which means instant death in NGS2, in NGS it's not insta death but you'll eat a truck of damage and you're dependant on healing items and blue essence in this game (meaning that either way, you have to kill enemies or/and progress in the game to have your health refilled). Not to mention the fiends in NGS2 that have super armor in every single move they have and at least 3 or 2 moves that can kill you instantly in MNM (the ground punch, the close grab and the dash grab), the red ninjas in NGS/NGB have some of the same mechanics of the IS ninjas but are more powerful in melee and dirty with their grabs, the cats in NGS/NGB are another pain in the ass and they can flying swallow to break you guard or catch you off the air, they can counter Izuna Drops too and i think they are the only ones that can do this; the NG series is really a lesson on how to design enemies to keep the player on his toes.

I don't really think difficulty in defense is the most proeminent aspect on DmC, you have universal ways to evade attacks that are pretty good and cover pretty much everything in the game if you have the reactions to do this. While NG and MGR have enemies that can grab you or put you into combo strings or even attacks that breaks guard, meaning you have to think/react before taking any defensive action; NG2/NGS2 specially has enemies that deal chip damage on you, one more way for them force you to move around constantly and not get too lazy with your defense. The cues aren't too favorable for the player in NG too, there's attacks in the game that you have be aware of instead of reacting to them or you'll get in bad positions (ie: the dragon boss that can hit you with his tail, and that **** even breaks guard).

The cameras can get crappy in NG games (they also does in DmC), but the difficulty does not come from this. NGS/NGB is a game that i find genuinely difficult without relying on cheap things like NGS2/NG2 does (insta death/constant spamming of things that forces you to have i-frames going on all the time). The experience on NGS2 is pretty rewarding and makes for a good adrenaline rush (while still keeping that methodical approach to some extent), but in terms of game design/enemy design i find NGB/NGS much more solid and "fair" with the player, aside from the guys with grenade launchers in NGS/NGB, i find the game pretty much very solid and doesn't make you rely too much on luck; as you can methodically take out your opponents by their weaknesses and have general plans for the fights.

You're not going to like my reply, but here it goes. I never got a chance to play Black or Sigma1 or 2. I had both NGs on XBOX and didn't want to go through those games again. Now that I'm hearing these things, I'm just about ready to buy it and see for myself. My scythe better still be awesome.

As for MGR, I know which boss you're talking about and to avoid these grabs all you gotta do is press Square X at the same time at the right time (Yellow flash) I was so close to beating MGR's final boss without damage until that stupid slicing mechanic happened. I died so many times because of it. I should've mastered it, but I didn't. I knew not a thing about the squares and pluses. I just knew I was swiping the way I thought you had to swipe.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I highly recommend NG, bro. Seriously, you probably can grab them by a really low price by this time, the games are kinda old. I don't know if you own a 360 or a PS3, NGS2 and NG2 can be pretty different experiences as Sigma 2 got his design all changed to fit both the hardware and a different take on the game itself.

But it's a thrilling experience independent from the version you gonna play and it was the most fun and impressive franchise i had the chance to know in this generation.

seraphmaycry

You're not going to like my reply, but here it goes. I never got a chance to play Black or Sigma1 or 2. I had both NGs on XBOX and didn't want to go through those games again. Now that I'm hearing these things, I'm just about ready to buy it and see for myself. My scythe better still be awesome.

As for MGR, I know which boss you're talking about and to avoid these grabs all you gotta do is press Square X at the same time at the right time (Yellow flash) I was so close to beating MGR's final boss without damage until that stupid slicing mechanic happened. I died so many times because of it. I should've mastered it, but I didn't. I knew not a thing about the squares and pluses. I just knew I was swiping the way I thought you had to swipe.

that's not the games fault actually, i too was destroyed by the slicing mechanic in the bosses (im assuming you mean Armstrong since he is the only painful slicing mechanic enemy that comes to mind)

It made me learn a new skillset i SHOULD have been learnging the entire time it was the game saying "WTF, bro?!?!?!?!?? this game took ages to make, like, years, are you telling me you expect to beat it by pointing your thumbstick in the enemy's general direction and pressing x?! what bullshit! here, this is pre-established skill that increases combat efficiency tenfold, FRIKKING LEARN IT!!!"

you know what i did? i took away raidens parrying, i denied myself such a thing, then his dodge and then any attacks that gave me free slice and dice openings.

i'm not trying to be aggressive, but i'm just putting down my thoughts .

devil may cry, as a whole is an aggressive fighter, every attack is clearly telegraphed, whenever vergil teleports, he's about to slit your throat, if you don't dodge the attack you can tottaly see coming, devil may cyr 4 introduced the devil bringer, that pulls enemies towards, locks targets into an attack animation and deals high damage, learn to use with all the games moves and exploits, problem solved.

hell, dmc1 forced you to be aggressive, if you dont these things that horribly powerful mid-boss will trigger, quick hit nightmare before the lights are back! griffon rarely lands and even on dmd you can easily stun phantom with some good hits to the head, the first game even lets you freeze time (so does dmc3, so it's not a one-time stunt) just to let you hit stuff EVEN MORE!!

and don't even get me started in styles, blocking MAY be a great way to defend yourself, but one-shotting tough foes is even better, which you can tottaly do with the same style, trickster let's you dodge your foes, or teleport into their faces at a moments notice.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
EDIT: Sorry if the post sounds rude (it was not the intention, really)
Sure it wasn't. I'll just chalk it up to misinterpretation.
She's willing to accept that death threats were sent to Kojima for MGS4, but thinks that Tameem is lying about the ones he got for DmC because we have no proof. She's exceedingly biased against DmC - never played it, parrots others' opinions, and consistently believes misinformation over facts when they're convenient.
This.

This. This. This. And this.

----------------------------------------------------

And don't worry Final Offer. People are just happen to get a little too worked up from time to time... even after putting the DmC fanbase down and failing to realize the blatant irony. :3

You got a fan right here, Mirror Man. Followed.

Last edited:

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
I've come to the realization that there no need nor point to this thread. Comparisons and bickering here and there from a person comments on a opinion from another site . Regardless it's the same thing day in and day out the guy estimate is really contradictory and an obvious troll for comparing the cursing from mgr to dmc. Bug the worst part is the useless attention that it's getting

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Um... I don't think that that many people were paying attention to it until you bumped the thread.

Personally, I think you just have a problem with opinions different from your own.

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
Um... I don't think that that many people were paying attention to it until you bumped the thread.

Personally, I think you just have a problem with opinions different from your own.
Nope why would I have a problem they are opinions after all not facts...I mean what is the whole point of the thread

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Then why ask "why should this thread exist at all"? Sounds like you can't deal with even looking at it.

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
Then why ask "why should this thread exist at all"? Sounds like you can't deal with even looking at it.
I just want my question answered don't bring pointless banter and try find a meaning behind what I said because thre isn't any..,

The Final Offer

Nope why would I have a problem they are opinions after all not facts...I mean what is the whole point of the thread

Your name is misleading.

I suggest you find a post that will give you the best answer and accept it and move on. I don't want to talk about how confused you shouldn't be.

Man, I hate giving out homework.

Unknown, don't worry about replying to 'em. I got a feeling this isn't going to be a healthy transaction.

Awake

Under the Promised Flag
I suggest you find a post that will give you the best answer and accept it and move on. I don't want to talk about how confused you shouldn't be.

Man, I hate giving out homework.

Unknown, don't worry about replying to 'em. I got a feeling this isn't going to be a healthy transaction.
Wrong you are the person that created the thread , you tried to bring up a point that I have yet to understand other peoples answers are just speculation I want to hear you're excuse

The Final Offer

that's not the games fault actually, i too was destroyed by the slicing mechanic in the bosses (im assuming you mean Armstrong since he is the only painful slicing mechanic enemy that comes to mind)

It made me learn a new skillset i SHOULD have been learnging the entire time it was the game saying "WTF, bro?!?!?!?!?? this game took ages to make, like, years, are you telling me you expect to beat it by pointing your thumbstick in the enemy's general direction and pressing x?! what bullshit! here, this is pre-established skill that increases combat efficiency tenfold, FRIKKING LEARN IT!!!"

you know what i did? i took away raidens parrying, i denied myself such a thing, then his dodge and then any attacks that gave me free slice and dice openings.

i'm not trying to be aggressive, but i'm just putting down my thoughts .

devil may cry, as a whole is an aggressive fighter, every attack is clearly telegraphed, whenever vergil teleports, he's about to slit your throat, if you don't dodge the attack you can tottaly see coming, devil may cyr 4 introduced the devil bringer, that pulls enemies towards, locks targets into an attack animation and deals high damage, learn to use with all the games moves and exploits, problem solved.

hell, dmc1 forced you to be aggressive, if you dont these things that horribly powerful mid-boss will trigger, quick hit nightmare before the lights are back! griffon rarely lands and even on dmd you can easily stun phantom with some good hits to the head, the first game even lets you freeze time (so does dmc3, so it's not a one-time stunt) just to let you hit stuff EVEN MORE!!

and don't even get me started in styles, blocking MAY be a great way to defend yourself, but one-shotting tough foes is even better, which you can tottaly do with the same style, trickster let's you dodge your foes, or teleport into their faces at a moments notice.

This is why I like hack and slash. I fear the day these companies are going to stop making them and all we'll be stuck with are platformers with three hit combos.

Top Bottom