• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Evil Within 2

berto

I Saw the Devil
I would like to know who's new director. I havent find it.
It says on the link you posted. John Johanas was a visual effects artist for the first game and then directed the two DLC pieces for Kidman. He's new to the director's chair and by deduction I'm assuming he wasn't the director through the whole development because production of the sequel started almost immediately after the first's was concluded and the team split in 2, one on preproduction for 2 and the other on the DLC, and he was directing the DLC he couldn't very well be directing the second at the same time.

http://www.imdb.com/name/nm7116635/

berto

I Saw the Devil
durDzLc.png

O2MCQGV.png

ZXmhGL4.png

berto

I Saw the Devil
That's not quite how RE2 got down. RE2 started like that. letting the team do as they wanted, but when Capcom saw the game wasn't up to snuff they scrapped it and started from scratch but this time Mikami was far more involved. Kamiya even mentioned how he hated spiders so in the original build of the game there were none but on the second go he gave in and added them.

Also, that's not how game development works. The director isn't the one who dictates how the game is going to go, that's the designer. Hell, the director isn't even the most influential member of the staff in a lot of games. In video games producers aren't hands off, they are far more involved and influential that just ponying up the cash, they are decision makers and part of the staff. Even in movies producers aren't just the people who drop the money and reap the benefits, they have a say on who, what, and how.

Goldsickle

Also, that's not how game development works.
What you said about producers applies to game development in general.

I'm talking specifically about how Mikami does things.
While he has varying levels of involvement, he is mostly laid-back as a producer.
In RE2's case specifically, he said that he sits back and lets the staff do anything they want in an RE2 data book.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm talking specifically about how Mikami does things.
Even if for RE2 that was the case, in every interview where they mention Mikami the people involved have stated that he has his hands all over this project.

Aside from that I have only heard this of RE2. I don't recall this being the case in other productions he's worked on.

Goldsickle

I don't recall this being the case in other productions he's worked on.
I actually asked around in Project Umbrella and News Bot said that Mikami's involvement as a producer is "completely hands-off" unless he is interviewing newbie staff members (like how he interviewed Yasuhisa Kawamura before having him on board as RE3's scenario writer).

Goldsickle

Oh? What other projects where he was producer did he do this in?
News Bot didn't specify but as I mentioned, he says that Mikami has a "complete hands-off" approach when he's a producer in general.

There was also some stuff about how Mikami threatened to resign if RE1.9 is "upgraded" into a "main game"?

Actual thread.

Sesha

Mikami only stepped in when he felt projects were going in a wrong direction.

Directors vary in their approach. A lot of directors absolutely do make design decisions and involve themselves deeply with other aspects. Kamiya, Itsuno, Kojima, and Miyazaki are a few examples of hands-on directors.

Frazz

General gamer
Not really feeling this game if I'm honest...from what little gameplay I've seen it looks as it it has taken the wrong lessons from the first game imo. Personally I'd have like it if they had scrapped the stealth element entirely. I kinda hope I'm wrong about the game as we haven't seen that much of it but I'm very definitely concerned.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Not really feeling this game if I'm honest...from what little gameplay I've seen it looks as it it has taken the wrong lessons from the first game imo. Personally I'd have like it if they had scrapped the stealth element entirely. I kinda hope I'm wrong about the game as we haven't seen that much of it but I'm very definitely concerned.
And that's ok. It's not bad thing. It's the truth. I don't agree but that's how it goes.

The first trailer is only showing a few areas. If the game is bigger than the first then it's entirely possible that we've only seen the first one or two stages. It wouldn't be good to show too much too soon, especially when they can show it off at TGS.

Goldsickle

IGN: "Do you keep tabs on other horror video games? Have there been any in recent years that have excited you, or that you’ve learned from?"

MIKAMI: "I wouldn’t say I keep a very close tab, but I do keep an eye on them about as much as an average horror game fan. In terms of recent games, Resident Evil 7 was crafted beautifully."

The rest of the article has more details about The Evil Within 2 but I thought I'd point that out.
I wish he'd elaborate more about why he thought it was beautiful, though.

Top Bottom