• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The DT Runes in DMC1

berto

I Saw the Devil
Well Kamiya must have a blessing from the Gods of Coincidence because the more interpret the phrase, the more it seems like some sort of prayer for being a part of the sky.

This is a really, really basic translation but it goes something like: "Bind him to the sky, Amen. He absorbs and clings to the sky."
Out of curiosity, how were you able to translate this?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Interesting stuff. I do miss Moses and his deconstructions of the series. Talking with him about these things and the deeper meanings in the imagery was cool, although I think the last time we talked he said he'd pretty much given up on DMC hereon. Unless they bring out a DMC5 with stuff like this in it maybe

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
This is a really, really basic translation but it goes something like: "Bind him to the sky, Amen. He absorbs and clings to the sky."

If your stuff is correct, "binding" could possibly mean "becoming one with" or something, since when you DT with Alastor you take on lightning powers and, of course, can fly.

Although...did the runes change when you were using Alastor or Ifrit (I can't remember off the top of my head)? Because if they didn't, then if there is supposedly a translation, it would have to be more broad, or it meant that Kamiya was lazy and didn't bother thinking to use a new set of runes for a different weapon :p

And even if Kamiya decided he wanted to use runes like this "just because they looked cool," it's possible that whatever programmers worked on the HUD and those glyph designs could have actually attempted to give them proper syntax.

This is all pretty neat, though. I've always been interested in glyphs and runes and stuff like that - it's part of what made me like DMC's contemporary fantasy setting.

Last edited:

berto

I Saw the Devil
Although...did the runes change when you were using Alastor or Ifrit (I can't remember off the top of my head)?
they do not.

And even if Kamiya decided he wanted to use runes like this "just because they looked cool," it's possible that whatever programmers worked on the HUD and those glyph designs could have actually attempted to give them proper syntax
its a little less simple than that. the siddham is a holy script that holds mystic importance in japan, it's no different than using hebrew or latin exept for that the number of people who use it and know the meanings and significance is far smaller. even a meaningless arrangement can have deeper cognitations, like a peek into the nature of dante's power; if the bonji are the representation of dante's demonic blood surging what does that say about his power?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
they do not.

Rats...I thought so. So it could just be a broad definition of referencing something heavenly, or at least otherwordly.

Or...it could all just mean beans because Kamiya thought they looked cool :p

its a little less simple than that. the siddham is a holy script that holds mystic importance in japan, it's no different than using hebrew or latin exept for that the number of people who use it and know the meanings and significance is far smaller. even a meaningless arrangement can have deeper cognitations, like a peek into the nature of dante's power; if the bonji are the representation of dante's demonic blood surging what does that say about his power?

Oh of course, but it does bear noting; if it's possible for some random peeps on the internet in their off-time to find out what this stuff is and means, I'm sure some devs with better resources could also find it too.

I mean...I myself did research on specific things because I thought they were interesting enough references to have in my books, but upon doing further research it ends up shaping so much more.

And isn't there images of Bayonetta's magic circles having occultist phrases on them? It's gotta be somewhat possible that they have the resources and know-how to make that stuff readable.

berto

I Saw the Devil
in bayonetta's case the alphabets were provided in game so translation was far simpler.

heres the thing about bonji, it's proving to exeptionally hard to find resources online to translate. i only found a small number of sources and most of them don't have anything remotely close to a vocabulary or dictionary. it's not a popular alphabet.

aoshi

Damn, I thought they were japanese(with capcom based from japan). So didn't pay attention to it at all. But DMC 3 had some good terminology.I didn't research much into it. But i knew 'agni' was fire in sanskrit.

orihalcon
Web definitions
Orichalcum is a metal mentioned in several ancient writings, including the story of Atlantis as recounted in the Critias dialogue, recorded by Plato. According to Critias, orichalcum was considered second only to gold in value, and was found and mined in many parts of Atlantis in ancient times.

berto

I Saw the Devil

TheDarkSlayer

Gilver FTW!
It occurred to me that I kept the files mo passed on to me. I honestly didn't think anyone wanted them any more but that is provably not up to me but the people here.

Anyway, here they are.
Bonji (DMC1 analysis)
http://rapidshare.com/share/3C8E8E383BD6D019B03729A1466B9746
Requires the Bonji/Siddham font available ->here<-

His other studies on DMC (no fonts required)
http://rapidshare.com/share/C84D0A4FC08B2A12B91A2C31B5A86C9F

All credit to, ofcourse, moseslmpg.
Hi! Sorry for bumping this ages-old thread, but do you by any chance happen to have a backup of Moe's files? All links are dead sadly.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Hi! Sorry for bumping this ages-old thread, but do you by any chance happen to have a backup of Moe's files? All links are dead sadly.
Not online. It's going to take me a while to track down my archived versions. I just moved and a lot of things are on boxes. I'll take a look around and see but if I do I'll leave to you to figure out how I'll upload them online. Let's see if we can do all this before Meg closes this thread.

Last edited:

TheDarkSlayer

Gilver FTW!
@TheDarkSlayer
I found the files. Well? Did you figure out how to upload them online?
Sorry for the late reply, I'm pretty sure a google drive backup would be a smart idea, but any online file upload service works (mega, for example).
Would love to take a look at these files, I appreciate the effort you put into digging them up.

moniT

Hello,

I'm really late to the party. I hope you guys are still alive.

This week replaying DMC1, I remembered I used to have a document with info about the runes, possibly from Moses. That was ages ago. I wanted to check it out but I have no idea where it is, probably lost in a broken pc. Today, visiting this forum, I find out there are more of these treasures written by Moses that I had no idea they existed!

@berto if you ever read this and you still have the files, please I would love to have a copy and be able to read them

berto

I Saw the Devil
I have read them. As to where they might be you might have to give me a few. I don’t know where they might be stored. It’s going to take me a while to get through all my external storage to find that since I don’t even remember what they are called.

moniT

thank you so much, I really appreciate it, of course I will wait as long as necessary.
Thank you for taking the time to search for them

berto

I Saw the Devil
thank you so much, I really appreciate it, of course I will wait as long as necessary.
Thank you for taking the time to search for them
Well, I don’t want to keep people waiting too long, not so much as a curtesy but because I’ll forget if I leave it off for too long. I am, however, very busy at work this week so it might take more than a few days. Those ass***es knew it was my birthday next week and still piled on the work. I am two strikes from walking out on them.

moniT

It is totally understandable, as life gets busier and busier, and the list of responsibilities seems to never end. And people at work sometimes do this kind of stuff on purpose I'd swear. I hope you managed to get some time for yourself and had a bit of peace on your birthday. (happy belated birthday btw!)

I don't know if this helps, if you have access to a mac pc and you don't remember the titles of the files but you remember some words contained in the files instead, you might be able to input those words on the Finder and there are chances that it would find the documents/ folder for you.

berto

I Saw the Devil
@moniT
Well, sorry but I think I can't find everything Mo wrote. I don't have Word anymore so I can't check but I don't think what I found was all of it. I found 4 docs and the fonts but I think there was more. Anyway, I'll pass on whatever I found but I don't really do this often so you'll have to figure out how I'm supposed to pass these on to you.

Top Bottom