• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The DMC1 Novel vs DMC3

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Fade away........like how? So what about his sword?

Gilver's name was engraved in the hilt. Dante found himself ripping off his amulet.
He stared alternately between the sword and the amulet,
a sickening realization settling across his mind.

The amulet had two names inscribed on it. One was Dante. The other was Vergil.
The name of his twin brother, who was lost the day his mother had died.
The same face. The same hair color. The same amulet.
Dante dropped both items, letting himself fall back to the floor.
The sword, having lost its master, crumbled to dust.
Gilver had been Dante's brother. Two sides of the same coin.
The impact washed over him, pervading his soul.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Yup its Rebellion?

Its Force Edge because the Rebellion has a skull as the cross-guard but not on the hilt.

300px-Rebellion_DMC4.jpg

298px-Force_Edge_3.png

450px-Sword_parts_no_scabbard.PNG

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Gilver's name was engraved in the hilt. Dante found himself ripping off his amulet.
He stared alternately between the sword and the amulet,
a sickening realization settling across his mind.

The amulet had two names inscribed on it. One was Dante. The other was Vergil.
The name of his twin brother, who was lost the day his mother had died.
The same face. The same hair color. The same amulet.
Dante dropped both items, letting himself fall back to the floor.
The sword, having lost its master, crumbled to dust.
Gilver had been Dante's brother. Two sides of the same coin.
The impact washed over him, pervading his soul.

So Gilver left his sword behind and it was destroyed meaning that either was another sword and not Yamato and if it was Yamato......then how can the events of DMC3 transpire (as well as DMC4) with Yamato out of the picture?

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
Lame ass DMC3 retconned everything about the book.

Well the book did contradict some aspects of DMC1 as well such as Dante claiming in DMC1 he was sure that Mundus killed his brother but in the book Dante knew Gilver was Vergil soooooo....why would Dante say Vergil was killed by Mundus in DMC1 if the last time he saw Vergil he either disappeared or was killed..........by him...Dante not Mundus.

Also, Gilver's personality even conflicts with that of Nelo Angelo's as well. Nelo was well an honorable person and fought fair. Gilver was dirty and somewhat cheap in his tactics...so being brainwashed and corrupted by a demon overlord who too is as dirty if not more dirty than Gilver makes you honorable.

MigsRZXAStylish

In a place where no one follows me. i Walk Alone!
Well dante in DMC 3 did say "its been a long time since we last met RIGHT VERGIL?"

so that could mean that all the evens in novel did take place before DMC 3.. Vergil wearing bandages,working with dante&stuff
So that could mean the order of the original DMC series canon story is:
DMC Novel Vol. 1 -> DMC3 Manga -> DMC3 -> DMC1 -> DMC Anime -> DMC4 -> DMC Novel Vol 2/DMC2 Novel -> DMC2

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!
So that could mean the order of the original DMC series canon story is:
DMC Novel Vol. 1 -> DMC3 Manga -> DMC3 -> DMC1 -> DMC Anime -> DMC4 -> DMC Novel Vol 2/DMC2 Novel -> DMC2

Well in the DMC3 manga, Dante was extremely surprised when he saw Vergil (as it was his first time) and shocked to see that he was alive and prior to that when demons said that Dante was the only survivor of the demon attack he didn't seem to correct or doubt that. Not only that Vergil also had Yamato which was destroyed in the DMC1 novel and Vergil didn't recall anything or reflect on anything he did while he was Gilver almost as if it never happened.

Fun fact....the DMC1 novel and DMC3 manga were written around the same time but as extra promotional material for DMC3's Japanese release (similar to how DMC4 got an anime). The person who wrote the DMC1 novel was Kamiya and some other dude and the person who wrote the DMC3 manga was Noboru Sugimori (the guy who wrote DMC1 along with Kamiya or DMC1s scenario writer) so both were targeted to take place before DMC3 but Itsuno's team or Capcom paid more attention to the DMC3 manga for it well contained much more elements to DMC3 than the DMC1 novel practically ignoring anything the DMC1 novel brought up practically rendering it non-canon or irrelevant......buuutt the anime did bring up some plot points from the DMC1 novel such as Tony Redgrave and Neil Goldstein.

The main reason why this happened was that Noboru in fact got more help from the story team for DMC3 to help him write a story that would fit right in so he was given details on crucial plot points in DMC3 while Kamiya was along in the dark and went by what he heard or knew of DMC3's development such as one character in the novel name was changed since it was a multi headed dog and there was already three headed dog in DMC3 (Cerberus). It was almost as if Itsuno's team didn't know Kamiya was making a novel or didn't care.

MigsRZXAStylish

Well in the DMC3 manga, Dante was extremely surprised when he saw Vergil (as it was his first time) and shocked to see that he was alive and prior to that when demons said that Dante was the only survivor of the demon attack he didn't seem to correct or doubt that. Not only that Vergil also had Yamato which was destroyed in the DMC1 novel and Vergil didn't recall anything or reflect on anything he did while he was Gilver almost as if it never happened.

Fun fact....the DMC1 novel and DMC3 manga were written around the same time but as extra promotional material for DMC3's Japanese release (similar to how DMC4 got an anime). The person who wrote the DMC1 novel was Kamiya and some other dude and the person who wrote the DMC3 manga was Noboru Sugimori (the guy who wrote DMC1 along with Kamiya or DMC1s scenario writer) so both were targeted to take place before DMC3 but Itsuno's team or Capcom paid more attention to the DMC3 manga for it well contained much more elements to DMC3 than the DMC1 novel practically ignoring anything the DMC1 novel brought up practically rendering it non-canon or irrelevant......buuutt the anime did bring up some plot points from the DMC1 novel such as Tony Redgrave and Neil Goldstein.

The main reason why this happened was that Noboru in fact got more help from the story team for DMC3 to help him write a story that would fit right in so he was given details on crucial plot points in DMC3 while Kamiya was along in the dark and went by what he heard or knew of DMC3's development such as one character in the novel name was changed since it was a multi headed dog and there was already three headed dog in DMC3 (Cerberus). It was almost as if Itsuno's team didn't know Kamiya was making a novel or didn't care.
You might mean Shinya Goikeda who had a similar thinking with Kamiya-san; hence why he only assisted, which makes Goikeda the main writer.

I was simply replying to another person's post here.

MigsRZXAStylish

I havent read dmc 1 novels, but i hear kamiya was involved.
Anyway with or without KAmiya , reading some of the novel, it sounds better than DMC3.

Still DMC3 is also nice.
Unknown was delving down into the thoughts of those DMC1 purists who hated DMC3; even up 'til now, they still loathe DMC3, even DMC4. VA Reuben Langdon even received hate mail regarding it, according to an interview. That is what he told me via PM.

I kinda read a summary of the novels myself. It does sound better, alright. I think the reason why Vergil took on the alias Gilver is a reverse of his name so that others, including Dante, wouldn't know it's him. Did you kinda notice that? Gilver is Vergil's name but the syllables are reversed, just to let you know.

DMC3 is indeed nice and all, but, according to those DMC1 purists, it retconned DMC1. I think I can understand them somewhat (like one of their legit reasons being DMC1 had its own original vibe; even DMC2 had its own original vibe too. They probably hated DMC3, even DMC4, because it ripped off from anime, Inuyasha and Bleach in particular). Maybe I can be safe to say it was not the first time the DMC fanbase got divided; it already happened even before the controversial DmC teaser was announced and the cause is the DMC1 purists.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Well the book did contradict some aspects of DMC1 as well such as Dante claiming in DMC1 he was sure that Mundus killed his brother but in the book Dante knew Gilver was Vergil soooooo....why would Dante say Vergil was killed by Mundus in DMC1 if the last time he saw Vergil he either disappeared or was killed..........by him...Dante not Mundus.

Also, Gilver's personality even conflicts with that of Nelo Angelo's as well. Nelo was well an honorable person and fought fair. Gilver was dirty and somewhat cheap in his tactics...so being brainwashed and corrupted by a demon overlord who too is as dirty if not more dirty than Gilver makes you honorable.

It says this

Bobby's Cellar collapsed the moment both men stepped onto the sidewalk outside, as if it had been waiting for them to exit.
It was the end to an eventful night...
In that instant, the inhuman shadows hid themselves, and before long disappeared from people's memories altogether.

I guess Dante's memories of that night faded as well and it says he buried everything associated with Tony Redgrave.

IncarnatedDemon

I don't think the word "purist" is a word you should use. It's really ugly word. Words like these are made each day and they serve only to patronize people.

For example, do you know DMC fan base were described with the word "entitled"? That's not nice.
Hence my friendly advice: dont use that word.

Anyway, i can like DMC3 for what it is and what they achieved. For example DMC3 Vergil is so stylish and the thoughts they put into his swordsmanship.

I dont like retcons.

But for DMC3:
1) They didn't retcon much, and they still kept the character design of Dante and Vergil more or less.
2) Capcom had no choice. The people who made DMC1 were not around. So they had to make something, and they did.

And i can't critize Capcom for wanting to make a DMC game despite the story department was missing important key personell.

The most important thing for a reboot to happen and not anger people, is to be respectful towards the fans of the original.
Dont be arrogant, or say something that sounds arrogant.

And yes i know Gilver is Vergil :) Thanks for telling me though incase i did not.

MigsRZXAStylish

I don't think the word "purist" is a word you should use. It's really ugly word. Words like these are made each day and they serve only to patronize people.

For example, do you know DMC fan base were described with the word "entitled"? That's not nice.
Hence my friendly advice: dont use that word.

Anyway, i can like DMC3 for what it is and what they achieved. For example DMC3 Vergil is so stylish and the thoughts they put into his swordsmanship.

I dont like retcons.

But for DMC3:
1) They didn't retcon much, and they still kept the character design of Dante and Vergil more or less.
2) Capcom had no choice. The people who made DMC1 were not around. So they had to make something, and they did.

And i can't critize Capcom for wanting to make a DMC game despite the story department was missing important key personell.

The most important thing for a reboot to happen and not anger people, is to be respectful towards the fans of the original.
Dont be arrogant, or say something that sounds arrogant.

And yes i know Gilver is Vergil :) Thanks for telling me though incase i did not.
You may want to argue with those people Unknown and I were talking about... I agree; purist is such an ugly word to describe them. Those were not my wordings; it's just what I think those people have claimed. They think any DMC story Kamiya made is the true DMC canon up until DMC2, since he assisted Goikeda on making the two volume light novels. For them, they hate DMC3, the DMC3 Manga, the anime, and even DMC4 with a passion as it is not canon.

Even LysseC, Loopy, and other fellow DmC fans know this well. I'm cool with NT as a whole (I have not played both Heavenly Sword and Enslaved, but the only way I can judge them is to actually play them myself), but I am not cool with Tameem (although he was kinda honest). LysseC and I discussed in her profile comment on me that, both DMC and DmC fans, even Tameem himself, may have made some honest and legit claims, but the problem with that is the way they say it (like with arrogance as you said in Tameem's case).

Well, looks like Capcom had no other choice after all. The DMC1 fans still can't handle that.
At least DMC3 had the most enjoyable gameplay, followed by DMC1 and (by some extents) DmC. DMC4 is pretty much DMC3...

EDIT: Glad I let you know.

IncarnatedDemon

Capcom is not without blame though. Did you know that Capcom put a different team to make DMC 2, and that Hideki Kamiya found out he wasn't directing DMC 2 when someone who was working with DMC 2 came up to him for research for the sequal? Source

I do not view what happened to Ninja theory as acceptable. Infact...at one point i came across Tameem's adress, and despite really disliking the guy, i thought for myself "I hope noone who is crazy among DMC fans finds this page".
But Tameem is really arrogant and seems to have played the victim card throghout DmC controversy.
I simply don't like him.
And its really not because his company rebooted DMC, it's because of how he is as a person.
Someone like him is not worthy of being in a position where he's going to reboot a character that so many people love. In first place noone wants the reboot, and his disrespectful and arrogant mind makes it only much worse.

At end of day, just like DMC 2 decision, it was Capcom's faul that DmC happened. I try my best to be honest with what NT has done and what they havent. And i've come to realize NT seemed to have honored DMC in beginning but Capcom told them "We don't want original Dante".

But NT's cofounder, Tameem, is someone i can't stand andi am not alone on that. He's a smug son of bitch. And it's a shame that a character like Dante was rebooted by him.
I dont care about his thoughts of "Dante is no longer cool" or "He would get laughed out", that is all just pile of horse crap.
He made those statements after Capcom told his company to reboot Dante, and i think that was a foolish thing to do. By making those statements he is disrespecting Dante (who is still cool and awesome) by argumenting for that Capcom's decision to reboot was valid.

His job wasn't to argument for the reboot, but to reboot.

MigsRZXAStylish

It's Tameem, not NT, that has the bad rep. NT, fire this guy and find a better co-founder...!

Don't let one person's view get to your head. For me, Tameem and his views do not matter to me...!

IncarnatedDemon

It's Tameem, not NT, that has the bad rep. NT, fire this guy and find a better co-founder...!

Don't let one person's view get to your head. For me, Tameem and his views do not matter to me...!
But he is one of the pillars of Ninja theory.
And i doubt if he is fired (not that i want that), that the rest of NT will think "Yeah, he was disrespectful". They will probably think "Gamers are entitled".

Anyway i dont get anything from him getting fired. Best thing i hope is that his reboot version of Dante never prevails. That it crashes downwards.

Because as i said, he do not deserve that after disrespecting the original Dante, and the fans.

MigsRZXAStylish

But he is one of the pillars of Ninja theory.
And i doubt if he is fired (not that i want that), that the rest of NT will think "Yeah, he was disrespectful". They will probably think "Gamers are entitled".

Anyway i dont get anything from him getting fired. Best thing i hope is that his reboot version of Dante never prevails. That it crashes downwards.

Because as i said, he do not deserve that after disrespecting the original Dante, and the fans.
Still, by what you said. Who cares if he is one of NT's pillars?

I'm gonna have to disagree about NT Dante crashing downwards... There are already a few people here who took a liking for him... I'm not the only one here who does so. Don't pick a fight.

But he does deserve it. NT is just a small dev team too... He's the reason why NT got a bad rep!

Top Bottom