• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The DMC1 Novel vs DMC3

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I wanna read the novels to get a better comparison. But from what I've heard, I'm leaning more to DMC1 novels for atleast explaining where Dante got his guns, and Dante pretty much starting off his devil hunter life subtly and in a dark city.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
I wanna read the novels to get a better comparison. But from what I've heard, I'm leaning more to DMC1 novels for atleast explaining where Dante got his guns, and Dante pretty much starting off his devil hunter life subtly and in a dark city.

I saw the novel at my local book store like last yr but at that time I only played DMC3/4 and by the time I finally got DMC1 and found out about the novel it was gone :(

Rilgar

I fought the war but the war won't staaaahhhppp...
I acquired the DMC1 novel recently, and although I liked parts of it, some of it I found played out better with DMC3 and the other games. Yeah, it was cool to see that it filled in blanks otherwise left undecided by the games, and the character of Gilver was also cool, but the whole malarkey that Dante's sword 'spoke to him' took a certain amount out of context. That, and Gilver's bittersweet end also disappointed me. That final battle started out good but then I got lost in some of the paragraphs and yeah. Thus; DMC3 does the better job for Vergil's past/introduction, while the novel adds more depth to Dante's early days than DMC3 or even DMC1 alluded to. So it's a mixed kettle of fish, really. I should be receiving the second novel soon in the post so I'll see how that plays out.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
The second novel is a prequel to DMC2 more than anything, it also gives details to where Auris' company got some of it's artificial demon technologies. Plus beryl is pretty much Proto-Lady.

Mainly the info in teh first novel gives Dante's history before he became a devil hunter, and the origins of Eband Iv. his sword was implied back then to be the Force Edge, so it "speaking" to him made sense. Now ith it be retconned to rebellion, still kind'a does

berto

I Saw the Devil
The novel may be out of print but it's hardly difficult to find. There are cheap copies via amazon, B&N might still have some for order, anime online shops still carry it.

Go to amazon, get the books ISBN and google it, that should get you online shops and avialability, and the same for local stores.

Rilgar

Summary anyone ?? cus not many people own that ya know ?

"Tony is a rough-and-tumble jack-of-all-trades with extraordinary physical prowess and a fierce fighting attitude. His encounter with Gilver, a mysterious swordsman swathed in bandages, changes his life dramatically. He is thrust into the dark underworld of an unsolvable case, separated from the life he knew, and pushed over the edge of desperation. Who's forcing him into a corner? What do they hope to achieve?"

Nothing quite sums it up like the book's own synopsis.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
They do. :/ I wonder if they decided it was canon or if they just thought it was good inspiration....

Well it seems the latter its probably used as an inspiration because the novel starts and ends exactly like DMC 3 but i like novel's grittiness
tumblr_mh5iwc2gHD1rlijv8o1_500.jpg
DMC 3's art is just so OTT Shonen

While DMC 3's story is cheesy Novel's story is much better it has other side characters who actually matter like the guy who made Dante's gun and i also love how Vergil doesn't have that stock anime personality of "Pride" bullcrap he uses guns and double crosses dante by tricking him into thinking that he's his ally..

rather then just raising hell and waiting for Dante in Floor no #23

Rilgar

So Dante's in hell what next ?

And along that same thought of doing away with spoilers; he's not in hell per se. Rather the demons start cropping up more and more as reality is blended with hell. When the book starts to describe this happening, it kinda loses me for a moment. That doesn't lessen the danger Dante faces at all, though.

Poor Grue though. Ad he would've been an awesome addition to mainstream cannon. It's a good thing he kinda-sorta lives on through the detective guy we get in the anime (Sorry, his name alludes me)

Top Bottom