• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

The Books

Status
Not open for further replies.

Zem

have you Fellow DMC lovers read the books based on the games there alsome if you haven't read them. & if you have what do YOU think?

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
Actually I bought two today. Code 2: Vergil and the first novel. I actually had it already, but I took them back for certain resons only to buy them again. Anyways, honestly, I think they blow. Why do I buy them? Well, it IS DMC, although I don't count them as canon, there are a few parts of each book I like.

Aliya A. Mayuri

Beginner Devilhunter
I bought 2 novels based on the DMC games last month, and I've got 2 volumes of manga. The novels are wondrful, I think (especially the first one, which takes us back to times before Dante meets Trish)... as for manga, in my opinion "Code2: Vergil" was even better drawn then "Code1: Dante"...

Zem

actually i feel that the novelss pic up right after the DMC 3 game, as the sins are still unning around. i personally thought theat the novels were faboulous connecting the too young Dante of Devil May Cry 3 With the man i know & love from Cevil May Cry one. & i liked the DMC 3 manga because it's gives Dante Back some dignity & flshis out the story of DMC3

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Well the 1st novel starts and Dante does not even have Ebony & Ivory, so it is definitely not cannon.
As for the 2nd novel, I think that since it is connected to DMC2 - which Capcom starts treating as it never existed - it is not cannon as well.

To be on topic I have read the Manga and I can say that it rocks. I only have read some parts of the 1st Novel and canon or not I think that if I ever get to read all of it I will like it way more than the Manga.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Well the only things that are not "correct" do not seem important enough for them to announce that it is not canon.

Zem

come on not cannon, it was made with the maker! & honestaly who cares it's kick @$$ so that makes it cannon to me, oh and demonslayer6 any bookastore that sells manga will have it, look for it in the manga section

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
If it's not in the game it's not canon to me. XD I don't take anything thats not in the game. And Im not sure it was created by the same people that made the game, it was just supervised by capcom.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Well here is what happened with the novels:

Capcom developed two light novels in the Devil May Cry universe, written by Shinya Goikeda, illustrated by Shiro Miwa and published by Kadokawa Shoten. Originally released alongside Devil May Cry and Devil May Cry 2 the novels act as preludes, with the epilogue of the novel leading into the opening scene of the game.

Devil May Cry Novel 1 spans from the death of Dante's mother Eva until the beginning of the first Devil May Cry video game. Series creator Hideki Kamiya was able to work closely with Goikeda during the development of the novel, stating that his depiction of Dante and Goikeda's depiction are very similar.

However the events of this novel were contradicted by the events of Devil May Cry 3: Dante's Awakening/Special Edition and the Devil May Cry 3 manga, released years after the novel was published.

In Devil May Cry Novel 2, since the period it is covering is the one right before the opening of Devil May Cry 2 video game, the events may not have been contradicted if a beast named Cerberus had not appeared. And yes it is a three headed dog demon like the one in DMC3. If I remember correctly in the English version of the novel the name was changed on purpose to avoid showing off the obvious resemblance. However that was not enough and Capcom - perhaps also because DMC2 is like it never happened - announced that DMC3: DA/SE also contradicts the DMC2 Novel.

However DMC3 Manga was released and Capcom did not announce anything about it not being canon despite some little mistakes like the meeting between Arkham and Vergil which was shown differently in the manga than what we saw in Special Edition.

Zem

in the post scipt thingie at the end of the book it says that the author calaborated with the maker, & part of the not being cannon may be the translation. but it's cool & stylish & that makes it DMC to me.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Yes I also said that:p

Series creator Hideki Kamiya was able to work closely with Goikeda during the development of the novel, stating that his depiction of Dante and Goikeda's depiction are very similar.

And they were canon, it's just that DMC3 idea was so much better than those. Still they rock as you said, especially the 1st one - I haven't read even one but I've read the plot;)

VI-Rainbow

Aya Brea
I have both of the novels, and the two parts of the Manga. I've heard the guy who was working on the manga quit. Is this true? ;.; If so, it breaks my heart. I'd like to know what happens. Maybe someone will come along and finish it up. It'd make my day if that would happen.

Vergilissexy

Wesker's #1 fan!
Yeah, the third book was soppose to be Code 3: Mary/Lady. But the person who made it quite the project. I believe it was Redgrave who told me this. ^^

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom