• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Superiority complex

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Yeah, so if somebody comes with an example of Dante killing demons for profit, from the manga or something, you'll accept that but just ignore the games completely? It was pretty clear to me that Dante liked to kill demons not just because he 'wants revenge' or is traumatized by his mother's death, etc etc. Killing demons is what he likes to do. He doesn't kill them if they haven't done anything wrong, but he will kill them if they leave him no choice, or if they're evil. Seems like a pretty decent stance to take, I think. Anyway, discussion over.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
It's fine, i just thought Dante would be better than hunt down evil people for money.
Or kill evil demons for money.
I mean when your mother was killed, perhaps you would avoid such acts.

Would have been awesome if that sequel was made though.

What would you have Dante do otherwise? Put those evil demons in a human world jail? I doubt that's going to work, especially with demons like the Faust. And some demons just don't show that they have higher reasoning, so if he doesn't kill them, they're going to end up killing people again. The DMC world is not a realistic one, and most definitely not an ideal one. Anyway, I said what I wanted to say in my previous post.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
i'm gonna say this...and i hope i'm not crucified for saying it...dante is just as arrogant as taneem.
pr0gramm-1311072466207.jpg

i went there
Dante is so arrogant to the point of where he holds himself on a higher pedestal than he is worth. He speaks of himself as if he is the greatest thing since television or the umbrella. and i know he used this as a means to cope with the tragic death of both his mother and his father, but after a while...grow the **** up. i get it. you're the son of the most powerful devil in all the world AND defeated your evil brother who is stronger than you, and have saved humanity on countless occasions...but what is stopping me from shooting you in the face with a charmed bullet, or a cutting your head off while trapped and powerless? You may hold supernatural abilities under your belt, but you're not god. so stop pretending like it.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
Dante? Superiority complex? Ok.. correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't superiority complex is showing oneself to be superior to conceal one's inferiority?

If it is like that, Dante is far from having superiority complex. He's cocky? Yes. Arrogant? Yes. Over-confident? Somewhat. Suffers from superiority complex? No. I don't see it.

he and vergil both still take it hard that they weren't strong enough to save their mother. only difference is, vergil will admit to it. while dante hides that feeling of not being strong enough behind a fake smile and arrogant attitude.

DarkSlayerZero

DMC1 Dante>>>>>>2-4
Well DMC1 Dante doesn't have a superiority complex but I can't say the same for 3.

DMC1 Dante was definitely traumatized by his mom's death.

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
he and vergil both still take it hard that they weren't strong enough to save their mother. only difference is, vergil will admit to it. while dante hides that feeling of not being strong enough behind a fake smile and arrogant attitude.
Sure, he regrets the loss of his mother. I'm not denying it, but the mask he wears to hide his melancholy can not be attributed to him "feeling" inferior. You don't brew superiority complex by hiding your grief behind a facade of your boastful jolly, which is the case of Dante. As far as I remember, Dante never was never shown "feeling" inferior. The arrogance is just to hide his grief.

However, in case of Vergil, it is shown that one of the reason for him wanting power was him wanting to be more powerful. That line, "Withour power, you can't protect anyone. Let alone yourself." or something like that shows his insecurities about him being inferior but still he carries that higher-than-thou attitude. I'd say Vergil has superiority complex.

IncarnatedDemon

What would you have Dante do otherwise? Put those evil demons in a human world jail? I doubt that's going to work, especially with demons like the Faust. And some demons just don't show that they have higher reasoning, so if he doesn't kill them, they're going to end up killing people again. The DMC world is not a realistic one, and most definitely not an ideal one. Anyway, I said what I wanted to say in my previous post.
One of question i asked the evil demons location was not the human world.

A archeologist asks Dante to go kill a demon of a certain kind, that happens to be evil by concident, and the employer says "I want to study the body".
Would Dante accept the job?
I just think that would be a bit low act of Dante, if he would kill a demon thats not in human world, and he would do it just for money. Killing a demon because a person wants to study its body that is...
Anyway my thoughts takes standpoint only to the question in the quote above.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
However, in case of Vergil, it is shown that one of the reason for him wanting power was him wanting to be more powerful. That line, "Withour power, you can't protect anyone. Let alone yourself." or something like that shows his insecurities about him being inferior but still he carries that higher-than-thou attitude. I'd say Vergil has superiority complex.

i have to disagree. vergil has come to terms with his mother's death. he sees now that he wasn't and still isn't strong enough to get what he wants. so he's going on a quest to get that power.
where as his brother is trying to "trick himself" into thinking that he is better than everyone else to try and bury those insecure feelings. but he hasn't come to terms with it yet

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
If killing demons is something Dante enjoys, why did he give Berial the choice to live and showed compassion towards Griffon?

i know this was two pages ago but i wasn't here then so i am replying now. the answer is that Dante is a compassionate person who also enjoys hunting demons. i suppose it would probably be more accurate to say Dante enjoys fighting demons, he probably wouldn't enjoy killing a demon without a fight and he doesn't seem to dislike leaving demons he has defeated alive if he doesn't have to kill them ( he also doesn't seem to dislike killing them, so sparing the ones he can is just Dante being nice)

the reason Dante doesn't fight more despite enjoying it is that he is also somewhat lazy (established in the anime).

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Actually Dante also has the destructive habit of destroying millions of dollars in buildings and cities. Like in the anime, episode 2, he destroys an entire bridge. Why? To kill a demon. Which was stupid because that didn't do sh*t.
He just did it because it was awesome just like flipping a table..
Vergil has the superiority complex, not Dante
The only one who really has superiority complex is Mundus and vergil is clearly just a selfish single minded prick.

DMC3/4 Dante is an egotistical,overconfident Jerk
DMC 1 Dante is more of a classic heroic dude

Somewhere, Somehow a community of people think DmC is better than this
hw0fmd.gif

I am in the heart of that community
13580588801799.gif

There are people who think DMC Dante is OP compared to DmC Donte
DMC-Devil-Trigger.jpg

-Slows Down Time
-Enemies go flying up in the air
- Press Y/Triangle to SSS

Jesus, Mary and Joseph, help us all.

DanteStyle

但丁是我的
So let me formulate the question again:
If Dante got a job to kill a evil demon that hasn't caused trouble for centuries (invading of human world), and neither bothered the person wanting the him/her dead, would Dante accept the job?
Would he travel to demon realm and kill the demon? Assuming the job is easy and Dante knows how to get to demon world with little time.

If that demon happened to be called Mundus, yeah, he'd probably be there in a heartbeat, BA-DA-BOOM.

I'm also sure Dante opened fire on the mafia in the anime. Fairly sure they were all human, too. Wicked. :devil:

This has got to be one of the most amusing threads everrrrrr.
Imagine, Dante having a superior complex.
Honestly, who gives a ****? He's hot. He's got power. He's got the moves. That's what it all boils down to, right?
I love his character, and I've done my fair share of dissecting him, but this just went way over the top. XD

Also, whoever mentioned wanting to see Enzo in a game.
PLAY BAYONETTA. HE'S IN IT. SPOT ON.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
hw0fmd.gif

13580588801799.gif

DMC-Devil-Trigger.jpg

-Slows Down Time

DmC is just a dumbed down DMC4 really. everything in the gif you posted you can do in DmC and in the image above of NT dante's DT is just quicksiilver and DT combined. this might just be me here, but i thought it was pretty easy to rack up SSS in DMC3 (the hd collection anyway) and in DMC4

EnJ

Shade
No "full house"(gilgamesh move) analogy, impossibility to fly around enemy with rainstorm, no Lucifier rose analogy, it's first what i notice.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
hw0fmd.gif

13580588801799.gif

DMC-Devil-Trigger.jpg

-Slows Down Time

tumblr_mfo10qM2331rfs2y4o1_500.gif

No one cares how you feel girl. Stop being so bitchy and move on. Because now you're really becoming annoying. I don't even care if DMC4 is better, no one likes a bitch.

Top Bottom