• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Superiority complex

IncarnatedDemon

Fine. I'll give examples

DMC3;

-Dante wearing what he wears is one indicator of his thinking he's better then most.
-He insults every demon enemy he faces and taunts them like he's got no equals.
-"It bugs the crap out of me when someone has a bigger mouth then mine."
-"Dude, my father wasn't that hideous. Can't you tell by looking at me?" *Stares at reflection in self absorption.
-"Making a big dramatic entrance and stealing MY spotlight."

DMC anime;
-"You know another man as handsome as me? the answer is no by the way."

DMC4;
-Do I even have to explain?

DmC:
-"I'm stronger."
-"I'm better looking"
-"I like it rough."

The only games where he's not is in DMC1 and DMC2.
See the issue here is that you see something that looks like a superiority complex, when its not.

Although some features of narcissistic personality disorder may seem like having confidence or strong self-esteem, it's not the same. Narcissistic personality disorder crosses the border of healthy confidence and self-esteem into thinking so highly of yourself that you put yourself on a pedestal. In contrast, people who have healthy confidence and self-esteem don't value themselves more than they value others.

Here are sympthons as described by couple sites.
red = means Dante has that.

• Believing that you're better than others
  • Fantasizing about power, success and attractiveness
  • Exaggerating your achievements or talents
  • Expecting constant praise and admiration
  • Believing that you're special and acting accordingly
  • Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings
  • Expecting others to go along with your ideas and plans
  • Taking advantage of others
  • Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior
  • Being jealous of others
  • Believing that others are jealous of you
  • Trouble keeping healthy relationships
  • Setting unrealistic goals
  • Being easily hurt and rejected
  • Having a fragile self-esteem
  • Appearing as tough-minded or unemotional

• Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
  • Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love
  • Believes that he or she is “special” and unique and can only be understood by, or should associate with, other special or high-status people (or institutions)
  • Requires excessive admiration
  • Has a very strong sense of entitlement, e.g., unreasonable expectations of especially favorable treatment or automatic compliance with his or her expectations
  • Is exploitative of others, e.g., takes advantage of others to achieve his or her own ends
  • Lacks empathy, e.g., is unwilling to recognize or identify with the feelings and needs of others
  • Is often envious of others or believes that others are envious of him or her
  • Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

• Are self-centered and boastful
  • Seek constant attention and admiration
  • Consider themselves better than others
  • Exaggerate their talents and achievements
  • Believe that they are entitled to special treatment
  • Are easily hurt but may not show it
  • Set unrealistic goals
  • May take advantage of others to achieve their goals
Other common traits of narcissistic personality disorder include the following:
  • Preoccupation with fantasies that focus on unlimited success, power, intelligence, beauty, or love
  • Belief that he or she is "special" and unique, and can only be understood by other special people
  • Expectation that others will automatically go along with what he or she wants
  • Inability to recognize or identify with the feelings, needs, and viewpoints of others
  • Envy of others or a belief that others are envious of him or her
  • Hypersensitivity to insults (real or imagined), criticism, or defeat, possibly reacting with rage, shame, and humiliation
  • Arrogant behavior and/or attitude

• Responds to criticism with anger
  • Responds to criticism with humiliation
  • Responds to criticism with shame
  • Their own talents, achievements and importance are frequently overstated
  • They have exaggerated fantasies regarding their own good looks, power, intelligence and success
  • They may believe their skills in romance are superior to anybody else's
  • They are generally jealous people and may be suddenly affected with intense jealousy
  • They seek out and demand positive reinforcement from other people
  • They have an insatiable appetite for attention from others
  • They lack empathy and disregard other people's feelings
  • They are obsessed with themselves
  • Most of their goals are considered by others as selfish
  • They have problems maintaining healthy relationships
  • They are very sensitive and easily hurt
  • They may easily feel rejected
  • Whatever they have or yearn for, it must be "the best"
  • They come over as unemotional or tough-minded
  • They may seem arrogant
  • They act as if they have a right for special treatment
  • If others have to be taken advantage of in order to achieve goals, they will do so
  • They may believe that only other "special" people really understand their uniqueness
  • They often expect others to go along with what they desire or ask for, blindly

Dante in dmc4 "You assume human are weak.
Ok yeah their bodies lack the physical ability of a demon but humans possess something that demons don’t.
"
Dante in dmc1 "And we humans never give up. Are you ready?
"

Also why are you bringing up NTDante's quotes?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Are. You. f*cking. serious right now? Look, you can deny it all u want but Dante dies have a superiority complex. hell some of what u describe fits Dante to a T.

Boastful? Thats Dante.
Believing ur better then others? Dante.
Believe theyre the best flirt ever? Dante.

It may not all be him but a good number of those examples are definitly him.

DANTE. HAS. A SUPERIORTY COMPLEX.

its that simple.

IncarnatedDemon

Are. You. f*cking. serious right now? Look, you can deny it all u want but Dante dies have a superiority complex. hell some of what u describe fits Dante to a T.

Boastful? Thats Dante.
Believing ur better then others? Dante.
Believe theyre the best flirt ever? Dante.

It may not all be him but a good number of those examples are definitly him.

DANTE. HAS. A SUPERIORTY COMPLEX.

its that simple.
can you list all the things Dante is from the quotes above?

So that i can see what ones you believe describes him.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
tumblr_m4hs6bBLvu1r6aoq4o1_250.gif

• Believing that you're better than others
  • Fantasizing about power, success and attractiveness
  • Believing that you're special and acting accordingly
  • Failing to recognize other people's emotions and feelings (DMC3 with Lady and the anime with Patty)
  • Expressing disdain for those you feel are inferior (Demons)
  • Believing that others are jealous of you
  • Trouble keeping healthy relationships
  • Appearing as tough-minded or unemotional
  • Has a grandiose sense of self-importance (e.g., exaggerates achievements and talents, expects to be recognized as superior without commensurate achievements)
  • Is preoccupied with fantasies of unlimited success, power, brilliance, beauty, or ideal love (DMC3 Dante)
  • Regularly shows arrogant, haughty behaviors or attitudes

• Are self-centered and boastful
  • Consider themselves better than others
  • Exaggerate their talents and achievements
  • Are easily hurt but may not show it
  • May take advantage of others to achieve their goals
  • Hypersensitivity to insults (real or imagined), criticism, or defeat, possibly reacting with rage, shame, and humiliation (DMC3 Dante)
  • Arrogant behavior and/or attitude

• They have exaggerated fantasies regarding their own good looks, power, intelligence and success
  • They may believe their skills in romance are superior to anybody else's
  • They have an insatiable appetite for attention from others ("Glad I got your attention. I was beginning to feel a little ignored.)
  • They are obsessed with themselves
  • They have problems maintaining healthy relationships
  • Whatever they have or yearn for, it must be "the best" (Clothes, coats, devil arms, pizza, women, etc.)
  • They come over as unemotional or tough-minded
  • They may seem arrogant

IncarnatedDemon

Oh wow that is funny.
Your arguing that Dante believes he is better than others?

And because Dante is satisified with his own looks - hes all of sudden...something? Didn't you hear what Dante said? "My father wasn't so hideous, can't you tell by looking at me?".
So Dante said "My father was handsome, as result i am handsome too".

Dante has from what i see NEVER exaggerated his talents or achievements. He never said "Yeah, i killed a demon that was the strongest in the area", when it was only a marionette demon. He's quite strong...

See the thing is with "feeling disdain for others you feel are inferior", Dante doesn't feel that way about Kyrie nor credo. He dislikes demons because...they are bad.
So if he feels "I dislike inferior beings", he would feel the same way about humans as well. But he doesnt. He is scientifically aware of human limit but values that humans have something demons dont. To value a generally physically weak specie, is not disdain.

As for being busy with fantasizes of power, sucess, beauty etc. Dante barely did that in dmc.

Anyway can you also point to specific scenes of where you see Dante taking advantage of others, fantasying about power or success or reacts sensitively towards critism, defeat or insults?

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Oh wow that is funny.
Your arguing that Dante believes he is better than others?
Sorry to jump in this one but yes he does believe than he's better than others

It shows in his body language and vocabulary best example of that would be the first boss fight in DMC3 where he completely disregards anything Cerberus had to say and starts insulting him.

> "My father wasn't so hideous, can't you tell by looking at me?"
And that only implies that he doesn't consider himself any less handsome than anything humanity has to offer that's egotistical for you.

> "Dante has from what i see NEVER exaggerated his talents or achievements."
Never you say ? In every cutscene he's behaving like he's the next big action hero hollywood blockbuster has to offer.

> He never said "Yeah, i killed a demon that was the strongest in the area"
That's actually bragging not acting overconfident which is what DMC 3 dante does

IncarnatedDemon

It shows in his body language and vocabulary best example of that would be the first boss fight in DMC3 where he completely disregards anything Cerberus had to say and starts insulting him.
Here is Hideki Kamiya's words about Dante's behavior towards demons:
Dante too, usually Dante talks to devil like he doesn't care, but he is carrying sadness and spiteful feelings because his family was killed by devils, so his mind can't be calm like water without a wave. He is not going to be scared but his mind is burning with anger. But if he lets devils know about his feelings, the devils provoke and try to hurt his feelings..... so he pretends to be calm and keeps pretends.... then in the end, he can't keep doing it anymore and his story climaxes.
"The beauty of keeping feelings inside" is really Japanese way, I think. But I wanted to create not always mad or calm character, the character has liveliness."

Dante insults demons in dmc1 too. He told Griffon to "flock off or stick around and find out the hard way".
But when Griffon was wounded, Dante showed him compassion.
When Mundus killed Griffon, it angered Dante.

> "My father wasn't so hideous, can't you tell by looking at me?"
And that only implies that he doesn't consider himself any less handsome than anything humanity has to offer that's egotistical for you.
It implies two things:
1) My father was handsome, and i am my father's son - i am handsome too.
2) Your transformation is because your ugly (to Arkham)

Arkham is a human, but he is not a representative for humans or mankind. And Dante said "That look suites you better". You meaning Arkham, not mankind.

i.e your misinterpreting what Dante said.

> "Dante has from what i see NEVER exaggerated his talents or achievements."
Never you say ? In every cutscene he's behaving like he's the next big action hero hollywood blockbuster has to offer.
Point to a specific scenes where Dante talks about himself as if he's more than what he is.
Behaving a certain way e.g "I am Dante i am awesome!" doesn't equal to exaggerating your strength or achievements. Dante...IS STRONG.

> He never said "Yeah, i killed a demon that was the strongest in the area"
That's actually bragging not acting overconfident which is what DMC 3 dante does
To brag is one thing. If you brag "I managed to take that demon out easily", and you actually did that is bragging with a basis.

But if you brag about killing a demon easily, when you struggled badly, then your exaggerating your strength or achievement.

AGAIN >> Point to specific scenes.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Well, in anime , at first, Dante doesn't want Patty near him, but then he founds out she could cook and clean his mess.In one episode Patty enters Dante's home to find out office is full of thrash again. Dante answers her that he is no worry since she will clean everything again for him , making her mad. Later , instead for saying sorry to the girl, he only tell to stop being annoyed and to clean his mess.

In DMC3, Dante never let go the fact Lady " reject" him: he always talking about her had shooting him, about she wanted to secretly dating him.
It seems (at least to me)he never forget the fact she didn't fall for his charms.Not even in later games.

IncarnatedDemon

Well, in anime , at first, Dante doesn't want Patty near him, but then he founds out she could cook and clean his mess.In one episode Patty enters Dante's home to find out office is full of thrash again. Dante answers her that he is no worry since she will clean everything again for him , making her mad. Later , instead for saying sorry to the girl, he only tell to stop being annoyed and to clean his mess.

In DMC3, Dante never let go the fact Lady " reject" him: he always talking about her had shooting him, about she wanted to secretly dating him.
It seems (at least to me)he never forget the fact she didn't fall for his charms.Not even in later games.
Getting shot in the head by a girl..isn't something you forget. did Dante never forget Lady not liking him because he's self centered or fact Lady shot him in the head? And btw Lady wasnt aware Dante was a demon at the time when she shot him in the head. If Dante wasn't a demon, it would have resulted in Lady commiting murder.

Dante keeping a distance with Patty is something i believe is related to psychology trauma from losing his family.
Hatake Kakashi from Naruto had similar thing. He lost his father (commited sucidie), and when his life got better he eventually lost his friends as well.
And in a movie he explained to Naruto "I lived a solitary life because of what happened before".
You can say Dante was afraid of getting attatched to people. This video explains this well, notice how Dante thinks he's all alone and he has sad expression on his face, but at end Patty runs over to him and shows him "We all love you Dante, your not alone".

And Dante is quite lazy actually. Refer to dmc 3 and 4.
At least dmc3 and 4 iterations.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Dante is lazy, overly dramatic, and a bit self centered but not narcissistic. he does have an ego but that is because he is the demonic equivalent of a demigod. honestly considering how strong he his Dante's behavior is almost humble.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
In fact , we can assume she already had suspicions on his nature since when they first met ( Cerebus after battle), Dante rode a missile she fired.
Later, she shoots him in the head( which is not a correct way of saying "thanks" to someone) but doesn't help Dante hit on her immediately after caught her.So , I say both: she had shooting him and the fact she acts coldly towards his flirtations.

About Patty: he could at least respect her work instead of treating her as his maid or whatever.The only person I saw Dante treat with some respect and not trying to be a jerk is Trish.She is the only person he seems to respect or even obey without to much of a fuss.

IncarnatedDemon

In fact , we can assume she already had suspicions on his nature since when they first met ( Cerebus after battle), Dante rode a missile she fired.
Later, she shoots him in the head( which is not a correct way of saying "thanks" to someone) but doesn't help Dante hit on her immediately after caught her.So , I say both: she had shooting him and the fact she acts coldly towards his flirtations.

About Patty: he could at least respect her work instead of treating her as his maid or whatever.The only person I saw Dante treat with some respect and not trying to be a jerk is Trish.She is the only person he seems to respect or even obey without to much of a fuss.
Still, how would Lady know that a shot to head would not kill Dante?

As for Patty, Dante could treat her better, but that doesn't mean much.
I believe in a scene Patty goes out and buys clothes and the person who told her to do that was Dante i.e him spending money on clothes for her.

But i havent seen the anime much so i cant comment further on Patty- Dante relationship.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Here is Hideki Kamiya's words about Dante's behavior towards demons:
Wait wait wait.. weren't we only talking about DMC3-4 Dante ?? because Dante in DMC 1 has.. almost nothing in common with DMC3-4 dante.

> Dante insults demons in dmc1 too.
Yes except he lets griffon talk first and then tells him to "Flock off feather face!" because griffon told him that mundus has sent to kill him.

On the other hand DMC3 dante completely ignores what Cerberus had to say and starts calling him a "Talking mutt" "Come on i'll take you to a walk doggie"

> It implies two things:
It is so obvious and yet you don't want to accept it.

Like if i tell you "Can't you tell by my fanfiction ? its almost Shakespeare!" its calling being an egotistical jerk.

> Behaving a certain way e.g "I am Dante i am awesome!" doesn't equal to exaggerating your strength or achievements. Dante...IS STRONG.
Whether you're strong or not being pretentious about your abilities always equates exaggeration that's why DMC4's dante comes off as rather obnoxious.[

> To brag is one thing. If you brag "I managed to take that demon out easily", and you actually did that is bragging with a basis.
Whether you're able do that certain thing or not its still bragging regardless being honest about one's actions is what makes a good character.

> AGAIN >> Point to specific scenes.
Almost every cutscene where he opens his cliched shonen mouth.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3

The Trish thing, that cannot be related to her looking exaclty like his mother?

IncarnatedDemon

The Trish thing, that cannot be related to her looking exaclty like his mother?
I believe there is two reasons for it:
1) She looks like his mother
2) and most important reason: She jumped in and took the beam that Mundus shot at Dante.

Wait wait wait.. weren't we only talking about DMC3-4 Dante ?? because Dante in DMC 1 has.. almost nothing in common with DMC3-4 dante.
I am talking MOSTLY of Dante independt of the four games.

Yes except he lets griffon talk first and then tells him to "Flock off feather face!" because griffon told him that mundus has sent to kill him.
On the other hand DMC3 dante completely ignores what Cerberus had to say and starts calling him a "Talking mutt" "Come on i'll take you to a walk doggie"
He let cerebus talk before he started mocking him:
Leave now, mortal! The likes of you are forbidden in this land.
You who are powerless are not worthy to set foot here.
It is so obvious and yet you don't want to accept it.
Like if i tell you "Can't you tell by my fanfiction ? its almost Shakespeare!" its calling being an egotistical jerk.
Are you really saying that Dante telling Arkham he is ugly implies that he means because Arkham is a human that all humans are ugly, and that he Dante (demon) is handsome?
Because again your misinterpreting the implications of Dante's insult to Arkham.

And Dante is actually good looking fella:
Nevan: Alright. I'll help you.
Your father was a handsome devil, but you're no sluch yourself.
Dante said "My father is handsome, i am handsome too", and Nevan is saying exactly the same thing.

Whether you're strong or not being pretentious about your abilities always equates exaggeration that's why DMC4's dante comes off as rather obnoxious.

Whether you're able do that certain thing or not its still bragging regardless being honest about one's actions is what makes a good character.
But bragging alone is not a sympthon for superiority complex. To brag about being very strong when your not very strong, and your exaggerating your own strength.
THAT IS a sympthon of the complex.
And you finding Dante obnoxious is your opinion, and has no relevance to what we are discussing. Fine by me if you find him obnoxious :)

Almost every cutscene where he opens his cliched shonen mouth.
could you mention two instances so i can take standpoint to them?

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Dante? Superiority complex? Ok.. correct me if I'm wrong, but isn't superiority complex is showing oneself to be superior to conceal one's inferiority?

If it is like that, Dante is far from having superiority complex. He's cocky? Yes. Arrogant? Yes. Over-confident? Somewhat. Suffers from superiority complex? No. I don't see it.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I am talking MOSTLY of Dante independt of the four games.
No you can't really talk about DMC1&DMC3 dante at the same they both are different from each other.

> He let cerebus talk before he started mocking him
Except he's still disregarding cerebrus and treating him as if he was a real life dog which leads to him being infuriated.

DMC 1 dante would never talk sh!t like "you know in a dog show ? you'll get the first place!" that's like taking an extra initiate for being a jerk completely disregarding the situation.

> Are you really saying that Dante telling Arkham he is ugly implies that he means because Arkham is a human that all humans are ugly, and that he Dante (demon) is handsome?
ARGH.. stop this the line he said to arkham was much more obvious and idk why you're pretending like you can't understand plain egotism.

> Because again your misinterpreting the implications of Dante's insult to Arkham.
I wasn't even talking about that its completely unnecessary when you have the obvious "I'm so handsome" example

> Dante said "My father is handsome, i am handsome too"
No its more like "tch... JUST look at me b!tches ! do you think my father would've been an ugly dolt if i look this handsome!?"

> But bragging alone is not a sympthon for superiority complex.
It is a definitive trait though dante never bragged about anything so its irrelevant anyway.

> To brag about being very strong when your not very strong, and your exaggerating your own strength.
Power has nothing to with pretentiousness... you may be able to get bull's eye with your eyes closed but that doesn't mean you have all the right to be a complete ass about it like DMC4's dante.

A person who doesn't have anything to actually backup his claims is just a sad sad liar.

> could you mention two instances so i can take standpoint to them?
His behavior itself is pretty much overconfident he rarely gets serious and even when he does its for a fraction of second and he returns to his primary cynical douchebag personality.

EnJ

Shade
Superiority complex is a bad thing?

..............................................................................................................................
Edit:

I google that term, and it's kind a bad thing. But Dante was stronger that anyone whom he fought. So he has over the top selfconfidence, but not that complex.

IncarnatedDemon

Okay, I'm done here. All this cause I said Dante has a superiority complex (Which he does have) and now its taken out of proportions. I've explained why and I have no other reason to be here.

fck_this_thread_gif.gif
Anita Sarkeesian does the same thing. Says something and censors others from challenging her.
And this is a forum btw, meant for discussion.

Top Bottom