• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Stereotypical hack and slash (Mrrandomlulz tells everypony his serious concerns about the game)

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Now before you all flame me, read the thread.

One MAJOR concern of mine about this game is that it seems to take out what makes DMC special, in order to add to story.

What I mean when I say this was, have you noticed how everytime they say they are staying true to the combat, they mean the "responsiveness", one of many key factors in the combat that made DMC. The combat of this game seems to be more brutal than stylish.
Which is basically the definition of every hack and slash on earth. BRUTAL. I've even seen FLAWLESS KILL! Appear on the screen. It feels like God Of War, Darksiders, Dante's Inferno. They sacrificed that "Be stylish" aspect to "Be brutal as possible to fit the story"

I've seen a crapload of gore on screen, and the whole "Stance system" adds to brutality. Where the "Style system" added to the stylish feel of the game. Plus with the D-pad to switch weapons,

It is hard to switch weapons on the fly or in Mid combat, because you have to bring your thumb Down from the Left analog stick, when constant motion is a required factor of any DMC game.

These concerns should be taken into serious consideration

ZeroLove

I don't see the problem. None of us has had the game hands-on, so I don't find anyone here qualified to actually state wether or not the gameplay is hard to adjust to. As to the gameplay being more brutal than stylish, the things you can do in DmC looks ALOt more stylish than that in God of War where it is all about crushing your enemies in the most devastating ways. Dante swings his weapons with style rather than with brute force. So I'm not worried about that.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
@mrrandonlulz: i have to disagree, the combat still looks very stylish to me and i don't feel that it is too brutal at all. in fact i like the gore and what not, but just because dante's moves have more violent effects on his enemies doesn't mean the combat is brutal and not stylish. from what i've seen of the players it still takes style to dispatch your foes.
also, i don't understand how the stance system adds to brutality. that doesn't seem to make any sense to me, if you care to explain.
one more thing, you don't necessarily have to take your thumb off the analog stick in battle to change weapons. from what i have gathered, before a fight you can swap between all your angel, demon, and human weapons with the directional buttons, which will occupy the human weapon you hold by default, the angel weapon you gain by holding L2/LT, and the demon weapon you gain by holding R2/RT. so therefore the only thing you have to do to change weapons is hold a button.
now advance players will probably switch weapons in mid combat with the directional buttons but that might take practice to master.
anyway my point is you don't NECESSARILY have to take your finger off the analog stick to change weapons.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
Well, glad to have your opinion.

Though I'd like to see what you mean when you say you've seen a "crapload of gore" in this game.
I see red orbs all the time, Dante bleeds somewhat when he's hit, and there's that black blood-stuff. But I haven't seen actual gore.

Also, wasn't the D-pad integral to DMC4's gameplay too? Did people have a problem with that?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Considering how crap alot of the Capcom games I've played in recent times it's a valid concern.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The last capcom game I played was Operation Raccoon City, a game produced but not made by Capcom... It was garbage.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I agree with the brutality of Dante. However, he's shown style. I mean look at how Dante uses Osiris. He swings that sythe with style and prosission. When he swings Rebellion, that's where that brutality comes to mind. And Arbither is just how I would picture anyone using it; with it's weight and force.

ZeroLove

I don't know, I wasn't paying attention during the credits.
Well, wouldn't it be more fair to put the blame on those who actually made the game and not Capcom? Unless they were part of making the actual gameplay, like they are with this new Devil May Cry. Which then puts up the question, who decided the button layout for this game: Capcom or Ninja Theory?

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well, wouldn't it be more fair to put the blame on those who actually made the game and not Capcom? Unless they were part of making the actual gameplay, like they are with this new Devil May Cry. Which then puts up the question, who decided the button layout for this game: Capcom or Ninja Theory?

I bet CAPCOM made that disision since the button lay out is kind of like Dante's from DMC4.

berto

I Saw the Devil
No, I disagree. It is Capcom's fault, they wanted to outsource their franchises, they selected the developers, they green light the projects, they oversee development and they decide when the games are good enough to hit shelfs. It's their franchises, they say what goes. It is also Capcom's new policy to make more games in less time. What did they think was going to happen when they sacrificed quality for quantity? And let's face it, even before this new strategy they were putting out less than on par games.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
The combat appears to be almost a direct result of the attitude of Dante. He's young and angry, with a deep, passionate hatred towards the Demon kind for all the torment He endured at an early age, so this brutality shows during fights. But the Style is still very much there, some of the mid-air combos look especially stunning.

Nelo_Vergil

slant six games made it. they also made socom confrontation a game p personally like playing on day to day basis

Top Bottom