• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Stereotypical hack and slash (Mrrandomlulz tells everypony his serious concerns about the game)

berto

I Saw the Devil
That is your opinion. Sales say otherwise though. According to those numbers, they were a success.
I don't necessarily disagree with you though.
Seriously? You think RE5 was better than RE4? And that DMC4 was better than 3? Sales? Ask the fans.

Edit: Sorry, that sounds harsher than I intended. What I mean is that sales shouldn't represent the quality of the game but rather what the lasting appeal.

ZeroLove

Seriously? You think RE5 was better than RE4? And that DMC4 was better than 3? Sales? Ask the fans.

Edit: Sorry, that sounds harsher than I intended. What I mean is that sales shouldn't represent the quality of the game but rather what the lasting appeal.

That didn't sound harsh at all, don't worry about it. I did say I didn't necessarily disagree with you, but your comments are highly opinionated and that is really all you are presenting: your opinion. And as we all know, fans of a game series are very opinionated, wether if they like or dislike something.
Honestly though, I did find Resident Evil 5 better than RE4, but that's because I thought RE4 was really boring. Though RE5 wasn't a horror-game as it should be, it did indeed present some valuable entertainment and a nicely done story. The upcoming Resident Evil 6 looks like it will go back to its horror roots though.
I did not like Devil May Cry 4 and I do think Devil May Cry 3 is the best of the original series. Devil May Cry 4 was still entertaining and it was very beautiful, but like RE5, it had strayed from its original dark and gothic design.

The new Devil May Cry doesn't look dark and gothic either, it is too bright and colourful, however, it is still very beautiful, just not the design I prefer going along a title that says "Devil May Cry" on it. To put this back on track with the main topic, I do however think the gameplay looks very stylish rather than brutal. I have a suspicion that this thread is just to find something to complain about though, because it really does seem like certain people are just looking for things to complain about and when one topic has been beaten to death, then they move along to the next topic to complain about. Not that I am expecting any less from those people.

berto

I Saw the Devil
That didn't sound harsh at all, don't worry about it. I did say I didn't necessarily disagree with you, but your comments are highly opinionated and that is really all you are presenting: your opinion. And as we all know, fans of a game series are very opinionated, wether if they like or dislike something.

Well then I will use less opinion and more... facts, I guess.

RE4 is an award winning videogame that has been transfered to 2 councils long after it's original gameqube release and is one of the criticly and fan aclaimed game in the franchise and in history, has been in multiple top 10 and top 100 games of all times list. RE5 has been discribed as a disapointment since the RE6 trailer release, has had a rerelease only as a full content on disc version and has been criticised for the poor co op AI.

DMC3 has been called by press and fans the best of the series and has been listed in many top games of all time lists. The gameplay has been called revolutionary (at the time) and invented a mocap system that was used for years after, and still is. It also recieved a re-release that included newer dificulties and an additional playable character. DMC4 has recieved lower scores and recieved no DLC do to lack of interest and has been criticized for it's considarete backtracking. It did recieve an award from GT.com for the best trailer of the year.

Really getting off subject since my point origionaly was that lulz's concerns that the game might be a pretty standard hack n slash weren't baseless because Capcom's standard of quality have dropped this generation. Capcom's PS2 catalog is far grander and generaly better than it's PS3/360 catalog' which consist of mostly sequels.

ZeroLove

Well then I will use less opinion and more... facts, I guess.

RE4 is an award winning videogame that has been transfered to 2 councils long after it's original gameqube release and is one of the criticly and fan aclaimed game in the franchise and in history, has been in multiple top 10 and top 100 games of all times list. RE5 has been discribed as a disapointment since the RE6 trailer release, has had a rerelease only as a full content on disc version and has been criticised for the poor co op AI.

DMC3 has been called by press and fans the best of the series and has been listed in many top games of all time lists. The gameplay has been called revolutionary (at the time) and invented a mocap system that was used for years after, and still is. It also recieved a re-release that included newer dificulties and an additional playable character. DMC4 has recieved lower scores and recieved no DLC do to lack of interest and has been criticized for it's considarete backtracking. It did recieve an award from GT.com for the best trailer of the year.

Really getting off subject since my point origionaly was that lulz's concerns that the game might be a pretty standard hack n slash weren't baseless because Capcom's standard of quality have dropped this generation. Capcom's PS2 catalog is far grander and generaly better than it's PS3/360 catalog' which consist of mostly sequels.

See, THIS was MUCH better than just your "this game sucks!" statement from earlier. ^^

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
So do you guys think Dante will become less brutal and more stylish as the game progresses?

It definitely brings James Bond (Daniel Craig vs. all the other Bond actors) to mind. He was thought up as a younger, less-refined, angrier reboot to an already established character and for the most part he succeeded in my opinion.

I'll be optimistic here and genuinely hope that this Dante, while not getting to the point of quoting The Bard and throwing demon-projectiles while spewing odd sexual innuendo, will come into his own and be cool in his own way. I'd hate to say this, but we will have to wait and see. Maybe until the game releases, maybe until E3.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Don't think so. I think what we've seen is a pretty good erxample of the combat we'll see. Besides, I can't think of a single game where the style of combat changes from one thing to another. Picking up diferent styles, yeah, but you'll always have acces to theose original combos and the animations won't chnge.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
Don't think so. I think what we've seen is a pretty good erxample of the combat we'll see. Besides, I can't think of a single game where the style of combat changes from one thing to another. Picking up diferent styles, yeah, but you'll always have acces to theose original combos and the animations won't chnge.
Then would the main problem be with Dante's animations or with his general air of brutality vs. stylishness?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Animators take direction from the director. If the director wants the animations to be brutal as opossed to stylish it's their job to translate that in to the screen and to fix that if it isn't looking that way. Trust me, I'm an animator, there is a significant diference between stylish and brutal and NT knows the diference.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
I wasn't quite talking about his animations, but about his overall attitude as a character.
Though animations do factor in quite a bit, I understand.

AngelMode

This Dante is quite stylish... going through a ban and getting dressed in literally half a second before popping out at the other side out of a window seems quite stylish to me. So his "attitude" is somewhat stylish already.

Now, I can see how the gameplay can look somewhat brutal, since all he is doing is slashing the crap out of his enemies. Dante from previous DMCs likes to mess around while fights, not just "Oh Imma keel yo all liek rite nao!" sort of... serious attitude. One thing I bet will help this DmC regarding that is adding some cool taunts.

Dante47

In the first Devil May Cry, attacks were more gory and devastating to enemies. So this is really more like Devil May Cry than other entries in the whole series. Gore doesn't mean the attack was brutal and not stylish.
In fact, New Dante performs his attacks in an identical manner to the last Dante. Its just that now the enemies can be dismembered and bleed heavily.

chocolateghost79

First of the Dead
Premium
In the first Devil May Cry, attacks were more gory and devastating to enemies. So this is really more like Devil May Cry than other entries in the whole series. Gore doesn't mean the attack was brutal and not stylish.
In fact, New Dante performs his attacks in an identical manner to the last Dante. Its just that now the enemies can be dismembered and bleed heavily.
thank you ^^

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer
I really think NT should add more Dante's voice while fighting, this Dante seems kinda mute. I think the voice also plays part in being stylish! Oh and how can anyone forget the taunts, I think it gives the player sense of coolness!

Keep it SSStylish!

Razyel

Soul Reaver
So do you guys think Dante will become less brutal and more stylish as the game progresses?

It definitely brings James Bond (Daniel Craig vs. all the other Bond actors) to mind. He was thought up as a younger, less-refined, angrier reboot to an already established character and for the most part he succeeded in my opinion.

I'll be optimistic here and genuinely hope that this Dante, while not getting to the point of quoting The Bard and throwing demon-projectiles while spewing odd sexual innuendo, will come into his own and be cool in his own way. I'd hate to say this, but we will have to wait and see. Maybe until the game releases, maybe until E3.

I hope he doesn't become anymore "stylish" than necessary, it would ruin the bad-boy-street-brawler-image of this new Dante, brutal and stylish can walk hand in hand, they don't seal each other off...
I mean he's supposed to be a little bit rough it's only natural after all that he's been through.
He doesn't have to be the next Kratos, but he could be the next "Wolverine" of Capcom :D

Top Bottom