• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sparda's Story

A manga, anime, and/or game devoted to Sparda?

• Total voters

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
@Foxtrot94
You are constantly focused on what could be done with gameplay, while people are indeed worried how would they handle his personality and story in general. Cause we actually don't know the whole story, we know the bare legend. The danger with legends is that you need a damn good writer and a damn good director that will make a final product that can stand its own against people's high expectations.
Capcom is not one of those companies I can say fills me with hope.

I would take the risk. I'm actually tired of hearing Sparda nominated all the time in the games yet we know so little about him.

And most of all, I wanna play as him. Not a costume for Dante. The actual Sparda.

Vergil Crosse

But we know Sparda's rebellion story already. How can you be disappointed by something you already know? The only difference would be that you'll get to see it happening on screen instead of just reading about it on a wall of text, a la DMC1.

I believe what my friend here is saying is that we already know the framework for the story. There is a beginning, a middle, and an end. The details between are easily filled out, and Capcom has competent writers capable of making that story good to excellent. Suggestions would revolve around the demons he is taking down (Beowulf was one of them) would question why he switched sides. Why he was doing what he was doing. I think that would be the most complicated portion of the details. How Sparda would respond.

The latter part of his quote, referring to combat, would be something else that we haven't seen yet. Something of a mix between Dante's style changes, and Vergil's divine accuracy. A gamestyle that I'm pretty sure, us as gamers, could all get behind. The possibilities are endless, and seem to point in a very good direction if Capcom were so inclined to make that story a playable experience.

Viper

Premium
Story of DMC4 was kinda subpar, felt empty. Comparing to Deadly Fortune novel, it's obvious some things, some of which were important, were chopped out, while some scenes were unnecessarily dragged out. And after that, their main writer Bingo Morihashi went to do work for others, as well as publish light novel, and it's questionable if he will come back for next game.

A framework likely devoid of relevant info and instead filled with fanservice will not satisfy everyone, not even if gameplay is awesome. Maybe it's time some of you realized DMC is so much more than just getting off on what you can do if you press buttons in certain order.

Reactions: Gel

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Maybe it's time some of you realized DMC is so much more than just getting off on what you can do if you press buttons in certain order.

It's a freaking videogame, for the love of God. Maybe it's you who should stop treating it as if it was a movie or a book first, and a videogame second.

What you said in the first part is true, but no one is saying they should do the game NOW. I do agree that a Sparda game would maybe be the highest challenge when it comes to DMC, for Capcom. The ideal time to make it would be when (and if...) they get out of their current situation and get their stuff together.

Viper

Premium
It's a freaking videogame, for the love of God. Maybe it's you who should stop treating it as if it was a movie or a book first, and a videogame second.

What you said in the first part is true, but no one is saying they should do the game NOW. I do agree that a Sparda game would maybe be the highest challenge when it comes to DMC, for Capcom. The ideal time to make it would be when (and if...) they get out of their current situation and get their stuff together.
It's a freaking video game WITH A STORY. If the entire game was Bloody palace alone, then story wouldn't matter, but it's not, it has a beginning, events influencing other events and an ending, and it's been dragging through 4 games, manga, anime and novels, yet we still know so little about important things thanks to them feeding us the bare minimum constantly.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
But this would not be a game where they'd need to write a story from scratch. It already has a beginning, middle and end.
What they would need to do is fleshing out the details.

You're afraid they would not be able to do it? Well I think so too in their current state, and in fact that's why I said they should do it once they get their stuff together. You talk as if we're saying they should make it here and now.

However, I do think that fear, whether it is from fans' part or Capcom's part, should not stop them from trying. I do think some balls are needed in this industry, and in this franchise as well. They had them when making DMC3, and it became the climax of the series. Get back on track and do it, Capcom, I say!

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
There's no need for you guys to get so aggressive here. Yes, a Sparda story could work with the pieces lined up. The series has surprised us before, like who back during DMC1 ever thought Vergil could be badass on par with Dante?

But, and this is a big but, the reason we'd even WANT a Sparda game is because he's been hyped up as this legendary warrior who fought off an army, defeated a number of high-profile demons and nearly killed the demon king. It's the Sparda in your head that makes you want to see it. But with so much hype behind him, built over such a long period, do you really think any story they tell, any portrayal of Sparda, could ever truly live up to that image you have? Most likely, no. Possibly, but probably not.

In addition, I don't think we really need a Sparda game. Sparda is a legendary badass, yes, but by the end of the timeline, Dante has clearly surpassed him. Sparda couldn't kill Argosax while Dante has little trouble blowing his brains out. We have our legendary dark knights already. The one we created and the one we were given. I think that's enough for us.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
do you really think any story they tell, any portrayal of Sparda, could ever truly live up to that image you have?

The story - is - already - there. Only details are needed.

You all act as if they'd need to write a completely new story about him, or something we haven't already heard. It would make sense if by "Sparda game" we meant anything else that is not the tale of him rebelling against Mundus, but I don't think that's the case. I think the rebellion story is what this thread is about.

You can argue about how they'd portray Sparda's character though, that's a legitimate concern.

In addition, I don't think we really need a Sparda game. We have our legendary dark knights already. The one we created and the one we were given. I think that's enough for us.

No offense man, but I think you should talk for yourself.

It may be enough for you, but that doesn't mean everyone feels the same way.

Last edited:

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
I'd argue that what we have so far is NOT a story, only an outline for one. "Sparda rebels, beats Mundus and settles down" is the skeleton for what could well be a good story, but it's the details that make it a story. It's those details that would be the issue, and therefore, the story itself that they could screw up.

And what I meant was that our internal Spardas are so much better than what Capcom could ever make because Sparda is our own creation. The framework is Capcom's but the details are ours. No other version of Sparda, official or otherwise, will ever appeal to you as much as the one you yourself have come up with.

That is why it would be a bad idea for them to try at this stage. Right after 1 or 2? Sure. But with so much time to build him up, there's really no point in them even trying. Besides, wouldn't you rather see the story move forward instead of going back to fill in details that really don't affect anything in the long run?

Is any of this making sense to you?

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
No other version of Sparda, official or otherwise, will ever appeal to you as much as the one you yourself have come up with.

That is not necessarily true.

It's happened before that a character's portrayal in videogames or other media met my expectations/version or even exceeded them.

The fear of failure is legit, but as I said, I think some balls are needed. My philosophy is that fear of failure should never stop from trying. I shudder at the thought of what this industry would be if there was no developer willing to dare.

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
Fair enough.

Though if they did decide to do a Sparda game, they should test the waters with Bloody Palace or another side mode. Maybe make him play like LDK mode with weaker enemies. Though that would basically be Sengoku Basara. Now, a DMC SB game, that I'd love to see.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
So, how would the three main swords play into the story?

• Sparda forges Force Edge first.
  • After the Force Edge breaks for some reason Sparda forges Yamato that can turn into the Sparda Sword when he triggers.
  • The Yamato and Force Edge are then wielded together (like how Vergil uses them) after Sparda reforges his original sword.
  • Once half of the story is over, Sparda divides the Yamato's power and the Sparda's power and separates them into two different swords.
  • Before the second-to-last boss, Sparda forges Rebellion.
  • When Sparda fights the penultimate boss, he only has the Rebellion because his other swords were taken out of commission -- the second to last boss absorbed their power into himself (or herself).
  • At the end boss, Sparda uses Rebellion and Sparda instead of Force Edge and Yamato.

To be honest, I really don't know how to implement three (technically four) swords into the storyline all that well.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
@Vergilius: Eh, me either. I do really like that idea of the swords being 'absorbed' though.

I would like to see Sparda use other weapons also. I think that'd be cool.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
And why the hell is it not a game?

2j105e8.gif

The 4th Snake

Content Creator
My idea for how the swords work in-game is that Force Edge controls like DMC1 swords and Rebellion like DMC3, or that each gets a new moveset for Sparda's use. Another idea (one I had for Dante) is to wield all three at once; Rebellion and Force Edge in his hands and Yamato in his mouth.

For the story, I guess Force Edge is his main sword, Yamato is forged to seal gateways and Rebellion, I dunno but the name could easily refrlect his own rebellion.

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
LOL you know, in a Sparda game, it would make more sense than ever. He did go against the whole mass of Mundus's army on his own, after all.

Well that whole "he did it all alone thing" is something I never really bought into. Oh yeah I'm not denying that he's a badass. I'd just say that legends are probably shrouded in a lot of incorrect information about supposed events and such things are more than likely exaggerated.

Top Bottom