• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So what was your reaction to the original Dante drinking?

berto

I Saw the Devil
Don't you mean 15? Please tell me you meant you started drinking at 15... *imagines 5-year old berto climbing a bar stool to order*
No, 5. We were at a party and my cousin snuck one and we all had some, and that happened a few more times through the years. You can relax, though, even to this day I never really developed a taste for it. I drink on occasion or on real hot days but I've never really enjoyed it.

Wow... a tad vanilla, aren't we?

Viper

Premium
No, 5. We were at a party and my cousin snuck one and we all had some, and that happened a few more times through the years. You can relax, though, even to this day I never really developed a taste for it. I drink on occasion or on real hot days but I've never really enjoyed it.

Wow... a tad vanilla, aren't we?
Vanilla? Cause I prefer kids that age be kept far from alcohol, since it is a substance that can kill? Smaller the body and less used to drinking, more likely it comes to poisoning.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Vanilla? Cause I prefer kids that age be kept far from alcohol, since it is a substance that can kill? Smaller the body and less used to drinking, more likely it comes to poisoning.
No, because you seemed pretty shocked at the notion of it, there are kids who drink and that is a fact and here I sit to show that it didn't kill me. Not only that but I never became addicted to it nor did I even develop a taste for it. I wouldn't advocate it but I certainly won't pretend it doesn't happen.

Viper

Premium
No, because you seemed pretty shocked at the notion of it, there are kids who drink and that is a fact and here I sit to show that it didn't kill me. Not only that but I never became addicted to it nor did I even develop a taste for it. I wouldn't advocate it but I certainly won't pretend it doesn't happen.
I know there are kids who drink, but the way you worded your post seemed like you take it as a perfectly normal thing we should just learn to accept. I'm sorry I got it the wrong way, I am a bit too sensitive on the subject, since it reminds me of so many things, including how most kids here no longer know how to have a party without a good number of them crawling on the floor after that.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I know there are kids who drink, but the way you worded your post seemed like you take it as a perfectly normal thing we should just learn to accept.
Learn? Yes, Accept? No. It takes a village. However, it's not an all around 'no' situation where there is only one way. One of my history teachers told me that when she was growing up in Italy diner always came with a glass of wine. It was part of the family experience and it wasn't about getting drunk but enjoying the meal.

Lord Nero

Ultraviolet Sentinel
I don't know what the hubbub is about. Even though I haven't really watched the anime, I know Dante drinks. At least, the anime version of him does. And I don't see any problem with that. Nor do I see a problem with that first trailer of new Dante smoking. They are both unhealthy things to do, and I'm not sure why you should consider drinking or smoking to be cool. People drink, people smoke. I suppose their vices could make characters more easily relatable to, since it shows they aren't perfect. But other than that, I don't get it.

Sparda's rejected son

For Edenoi!
Premium
Supporter 2014
in DMC1 there's a lot of beer bottles sitting around, In DMC3 he had a lot of beer bottles near his couch, in the anime all he did was drink beer with pizza when not eating strawberry sundaes, and he even has a bar in his office in DMC4.

Well shame on him! :mad:
Aww I can't hate him for drinking, he's just so cool! :cool::blush:
That's my answer to the thread's question and its valid because Classic Dante's attitude is charming while New Dante is just a softy who acts like a bad @ss. OMG! They are both the same! :eek:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
It suited him.
After all the stuff he's been through, I'd have been surprised if he didn't take to alcohol.
Plus, he hangs out in bars. Yeah he tries to order strawberry sundaes at them and drinks at home, but still. Can't be a regular bar patron and never drink.

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Didn't really care. old Dante was always an alcoholic but HEY its better then smoking right? One's an alcoholic mercenary and later becomes terribly in debt after opening his own business. The other lives in a trailer, smokes and drinks. (least the first is doing something with his life)
fixed your post.

Seriously, though
Tony Redgrave - Drinks
DmC Dante - Smokes and drinks

if you're trying to start a war over which of these things is worse, dantameem is going to lose either way

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Well if I remember correctly, Dante was a functional alcoholic since the very beginning. In the first novel ( of dubious canon) he is always seeing drinking .When Dante criticized Grue for the habit of smoking, Grue points his "hypocrisy" with a "instead of worrying about my smoking habits, you should check your poor liver".
AND there is another thing in common between the two Dante: old Dante seemingly steals things, since he admits he stole his sofa in DMC2 novel.
So Ninja Theory didn't got Dante's habits from thin air.They belonged to DMC's myths already.

Gel

Premium
To be an alcoholic is not the same as being drunk. If someone drinks an high portion of alcohol in a daily basis, he is an alcoholic, but he is at same time functional since he seems to hold himself enough to work( in DMC4 , he seems to me a bit drunk, but it could be my impression anyway).
DmC Dante was already accused of being a druggy and Tameen said DmC Dante had experimented drugs in the past, but left the habit.
In MY opinion, the BIGGEST difference ( in terms of story)between DmC and DMC is that in DmC people are disturbed by what is said and shown into their face. In DMC case, what disturbs most is what its implied, but goes unsaid. A lot of things seem to be "sanitized" in DMC, so that's why DmC came off a shocking to usual DMC gamers.

Viper

Premium
Umm...between drinking and being alcoholic is huge difference. It's like if i called new Dante druggy, because he's smoking.
There is a large chance he indeed is an alcoholic, since pretty much everything he is seen drinking is alcohol and you see bottles carelessly thrown away all around the shop. Though like Gel just now said, it's more implied, if you don't pay that much attention you won't notice it.

In the DMC3 manga he is seen drinking tomato juice, unconfirmed rumor I picked up somewhere said it was because a teenage Dante drinking liquor could be taken the wrong way.
There was a cup of, I presume, coffee in front of him in the episode with the mayor, but it's unknown whether he actually drank any. Otherwise, it's all beer, wine and hard stuff.

(And it's amazing what essentially useless details I can memorize in instant, but when I study serious stuff it's pain to get it into my head.o_O)

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
@Sunny Alcoholics don't drink that much of alcohol daily actually. They need their portion ever day though, otherwise they will get psyche breakdown. Many have anger or depression issues as side-effect, so it's really hard stuff. As for bottles, dunno man, it mostly implies he don't really type who cleans his room. I also has about 12-20 beer bottles in kitchen, but i don't drink more than 1-2 per week.

Viper

Premium
@Sunny Alcoholics don't drink that much of alcohol daily actually. They need their portion ever day though, otherwise they will get psyche breakdown. Many have anger or depression issues as side-effect, so it's really hard stuff. As for bottles, dunno man, it mostly implies he don't really type who cleans his room. I also has about 12-20 beer bottles in kitchen, but i don't drink more than 1-2 per week.
I know, I had an alcoholic in extended family, though he could go without for couple of days, just needed a lot when he started again. Still don't see how it proves Dante can't be an alcoholic or at least have a habit of comforting himself with liquor.
Those bottles Dante has don't look like beer bottles, more like the ones holding whiskey, vodka or similar strong stuff, something you'd normally drink a little, and it would last a long time. And if you take just a little bit, you wouldn't be ending up with that many bottles scattered around as he has. I doubt Dante goes that long without cleaning or the next show we'll be seeing him in will be the one about helping obsessed junk hoarders (wow, I think I just invented a whole new level of weird). Also, if it's true that it was only one year between DMC1 and DMC4, and anime being in the middle, Patty had already sanitized that office several times shortly before DMC4.
I don't want to think of him as an alcoholic, or falling so low he finds comfort in drinking, but I feel those bottles around are not just for decoration. One bottle on the desk would be, but that many all around...

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
I know, I had an alcoholic in extended family, though he could go without for couple of days, just needed a lot when he started again. Still don't see how it proves Dante can't be an alcoholic or at least have a habit of comforting himself with liquor.
Those bottles Dante has don't look like beer bottles, more like the ones holding whiskey, vodka or similar strong stuff, something you'd normally drink a little, and it would last a long time. And if you take just a little bit, you wouldn't be ending up with that many bottles scattered around as he has. I doubt Dante goes that long without cleaning or the next show we'll be seeing him in will be the one about helping obsessed junk hoarders (wow, I think I just invented a whole new level of weird). Also, if it's true that it was only one year between DMC1 and DMC4, and anime being in the middle, Patty had already sanitized that office several times shortly before DMC4.
I don't want to think of him as an alcoholic, or falling so low he finds comfort in drinking, but I feel those bottles around are not just for decoration. One bottle on the desk would be, but that many all around...
I don't think he's alcoholic, just because he doesn't acts like one. As for bottles, If i remember those were from whiskey, but as for cleaning, you can ommit Patty, since she was introduced after all games and may even be non-canon character. Lol, I also have bottles of Vodka, Whiskey and Jin in my kitchen that i drank last year and just to lazy to bring out ;)

Viper

Premium
I don't think he's alcoholic, just because he doesn't acts like one. As for bottles, If i remember those were from whiskey, but as for cleaning, you can ommit Patty, since she was introduced after all games and may even be non-canon character. Lol, I also have bottles of Vodka, Whiskey and Jin in my kitchen that i drank last year and just to lazy to bring out ;)
I don't know about anime being post games, where ever I go people claim it's in a short (a bit too short, imho) time span between 1 and 4, and that it's official. But with information from various sources being thrown around, who knows what's official anymore and what's not? *shrugs*

With my mother being a cleaning freak, I find it so bizarre when people talk about keeping junk around for so long. Unless of course you plan to build a house from bottles, in which case it's not junk but building material. xD

Gel

Premium
An functional alcoholic ( functional being the key word here) doesn't behave like your classic drunk.
As the following site says:
"They rarely miss work and other obligations because of their drinking, although it does happen occasionally, and they usually excel at their jobs and careers. Typically, they are clever and witty individuals who are successful in many areas of their lives. To all but those who are closest to them, they give the outward appearance of being perfectly normal."(http://alcoholism.about.com/od/problem/a/functional.htm)

In DMC1 novel ( dubious canon?) he has a lot of problems: he has recurring nightmares related to his mom, he always seems in need to be thought as tought guy by the other mercenaries, dealing with killings and persecutions, lives in a seedy part of the city,etc....It was not an easy life!
It doesn't help either he drinks a vodka cog all alone in a contest, passes out in the street and awakes in a local woman's bed, where she is trying to have sex with him and he spurns her.
If he doesn't have a problem with alcohol, I don't know what problem he has.

Yes, Dante lives like a pig: only eats plastic food, sleeps all day and his place is a dusty mess.Yeah, we can excuse that with the idea he is a bachelor or whatever.(But apparently Trish lives with him in this dirty mess, she eats pizza in his disgusting desk and licks her fingers instead of washing her hands.Why she lives there? That's another story)

But as Sunny said before, Patty cleaned his mess over and over, and MAYBE she still does, so there is no excuse for so much empty bottles.
But Capcom only danced around taboo subjects without go further on there. And sure DMC is rich on taboos and unexplained matters.That's why DmC was seen as brutal to usual fans.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Dante doesn't smoke in DmC.
lolololol I was waiting for someone to point that out.
He smoked in a trailer.
A trailer that didn't even star the end-Dante in the game. Just like Dante didn't end up looking as fugly in DMC4 as he did in the first trailer released for DMC4.
Unless someone spotted a packet of cigs somewhere on him in DmC.

Oh, and now it makes sense why Dante is always half-passed out when not on a mission. He's recovering from a hangover.

Top Bottom