• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So what was your reaction to the original Dante drinking?

Kam

Wall of text crits you for 600
Dante doesn't smoke in DmC.
So if we're going to accept retcons here (the first page and a half of this thread led me to believe we weren't) then old dante never drank, either.

DmC dante - drinks, homeless after his van on the river got wrecked, but doesn't smoke
DMC dante - doesn't drink or smoke, runs his own business

We can continue the comparisons, if anyone would like

Viper

Premium
Okay, I have to ask, when did DMC anime become non-canon? The wiki still only says that Kobayashi confirmed it as canon and that it took place between 1 and 4. I'm often not in touch with the news, but I don't believe I would miss something like that.

Therefore...

DMC Dante - drinks, compulsive gambler
DmC Dante - drinks, implied to have lots of meaningless sex (probably to heal emotional troubles left by harsh life)

Neither smokes, first one cause his creator was against it, second was going to, but complaining happened.

I'm adding this part, cause I have a feeling someone out there might mention that it was implied for DMC Dante being into kinky stuff, based on the way he was presented in DMC3 manga. That part is rather troublesome, since it was proven that the official translator took some liberties to make Dante sound more edgy. Comparing the official version with the fan translated one, it seems that in the original he never talked about his peen and that one woman was warning her friend of him being a bad boy mercenary with his guns having a lot of power (even the part with the mop wasn't there). Throughout the series he made innuendos and probably enjoyed the view all them ladies were giving him, but we were never given anything to prove he actually got laid. Poor guy could likely be a virgin...

*sigh* Feels good to yap... :tongue:

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
In your favor you still have DMC1 novel, which gives hints Dante is in fact pursuing a serious relationship( and much to his dismay, only fast women, like the one who was trying to having sex with him while he was passed out, appears to him. He laments it with a" these women are all the same. A little variety wouldn't kill them".)

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
So if we're going to accept retcons here (the first page and a half of this thread led me to believe we weren't) then old dante never drank, either.

DmC dante - drinks, homeless after his van on the river got wrecked, but doesn't smoke

Nothing you said changes what I said. In DmC, Dante doesn't smoke. He may have been caught smoking in a very early trailer, but everything that really counts is what's in that final product. They don't put that "game is still in development" disclaimer for nothing.

And the old Dante does drink. Look it up if you have to and pay attention. Like I said, in the manga once he got so drunk he proposed to a mop. Also in both DMC 1 and 3 you can see quite a few bottles lying around his place. Looks like the harder stuff too.

Viper

Premium
In your favor you still have DMC1 novel, which gives hints Dante is in fact pursuing a serious relationship( and much to his dismay, only fast women, like the one who was trying to having sex with him while he was passed out, appears to him. He laments it with a" these women are all the same. A little variety wouldn't kill them".)
Looking back, he does seem to hold greater respect for women. Even Nevan was treated with a bit more care than others.
From things presented, they have his mother to thank for that.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
I don't see the big deal. There doesn't seem to be all that many DMC anime/novel fans (in my experience) as it just seems second fiddle to the games. I could go my entire life never reading or seeing them and still call myself a fan honestly. So aside from those two mediums, I don't recall seeing Dante drink. The game was subtle and left bottles laying around so we could put two-and-two together. I've yet to see him put any to his lips lol.

On a plus note, he's a grown a** man! Let him enjoy his liquor off camera people! XD

Bazilican

Beer and big tits all around! XD
So he drinks, who cares. It's stupid that lassic Dante's alcohol problem is looked past, but new Dante's smoking is worse. Both are bad and can kill, DUH.

Viper

Premium
So he drinks, who cares. It's stupid that classic Dante's alcohol problem is looked past, but new Dante's smoking is worse. Both are bad and can kill, DUH.
I don't think it was ever about smoking vs drinking, there was a part of fandom that used it among other things to give reason to their frustration, and then it remained in everyone's minds.
I wouldn't mind if he smoked, I grew up watching men and women smoke in movies, before the anti-smoking craze. Also, lung cancer is something Dante doesn't have to worry about. A glass or two of liquor ain't bad either, you know, in style of old school detectives. The only thing that does rub me the wrong way is drinking quite an amount often, as it was implied, but that's personal preference.

Kam

Nothing you said changes what I said. In DmC, Dante doesn't smoke. He may have been caught smoking in a very early trailer, but everything that really counts is what's in that final product. They don't put that "game is still in development" disclaimer for nothing.

And the old Dante does drink. Look it up if you have to and pay attention. Like I said, in the manga once he got so drunk he proposed to a mop. Also in both DMC 1 and 3 you can see quite a few bottles lying around his place. Looks like the harder stuff too.
so best case scenario for you is that both dantes drink, neither smoke, but one of them is homeless and the other owns a business. So do you want to keep going comparing the two, or not?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
so best case scenario for you is that both dantes drink, neither smoke, but one of them is homeless and the other owns a business. So do you want to keep going comparing the two, or not?
What? Why do you see this as some contest to see which one is better? That's not what I'm even talking about.

Who expects Dante in DmC to have the Devil May Cry business up and running anyway? It's an origin story. I'd be pretty damn surprised if Dante in DmC, considering his upbringing, would have a shop. He was lucky enough to nab himself a little mobile home on the pier. Dante in DmC had an unfortunate childhood. On his own most of his life with demons giving him sh!t at every turn. He wasn't living, just surviving.

Both Dantes are pretty much Dante in spirit, but the Dante in DmC is going for the troubled youth juvenile deliquent, growing up and realizing his lineage, shaping him in to the hero he becomes. Different backstories and journey. Dante at the end of DmC was like when heroes like Batman put on the cowl for the first time or something. DmC is basically Dante:Year One.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't think it was ever about smoking vs drinking, there was a part of fandom that used it among other things to give reason to their frustration, and then it remained in everyone's minds.
I wouldn't mind if he smoked, I grew up watching men and women smoke in movies, before the anti-smoking craze. Also, lung cancer is something Dante doesn't have to worry about. A glass or two of liquor ain't bad either, you know, in style of old school detectives. The only thing that does rub me the wrong way is drinking quite an amount often, as it was implied, but that's personal preference.
Pretty much. It always was just people looking for SOMETHING to complain about. If the original Dante smoked, no one would have really given a sh!t.

I couldn't care less.

I have this head canon idea though that DMC Dante on occasion smokes pot.

Kam

What? Why do you see this as some contest to see which one is better? That's not what I'm even talking about.

Who expects Dante in DmC to have the Devil May Cry business up and running anyway? It's an origin story. I'd be pretty damn surprised if Dante in DmC, considering his upbringing, would have a shop. He was lucky enough to nab himself a little mobile home on the pier. Dante in DmC had an unfortunate childhood. On his own most of his life with demons giving him sh!t at every turn. He wasn't living, just surviving.

Both Dantes are pretty much Dante in spirit, but the Dante in DmC is going for the troubled youth juvenile deliquent, growing up and realizing his lineage, shaping him in to the hero he becomes. Different backstories and journey. Dante at the end of DmC was like when heroes like Batman put on the cowl for the first time or something. DmC is basically Dante:Year One.
well, this thread seems to have dissolved into a "smoking versus drinking" contest, but if that's not where you're going with this, I respect your decision to not take part.

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014

DmC dante- character
DMC dante- caricature

c'mon. can we not...just for a few seconds

Kam

c'mon. can we not...just for a few seconds

DmC dante- character
DMC dante- caricature
this post really speaks for itself, but for full effect I just need to switch the order of the sentences around. I'm not implying that your desire to "please can we not" isn't genuine or anything

because implying something means a lot less than just saying it out loud, which is what I'm doing, you hypocrite

Jak

i like turtles
Supporter 2014
this post really speaks for itself, but for full effect I just need to switch the order of the sentences around. I'm not implying that your desire to "please can we not" isn't genuine or anything

because implying something means a lot less than just saying it out loud, which is what I'm doing, you hypocrite
hey bro. i know of my hypocritical nature. no need to point it out. i was saying "please can we not" because i know that these types of debates can go on for PAGES. so...please. can we not? (plus, i just wanted a reaction out of you. c'mon, you should know me by now)

Reactions: Kam

Kam

hey bro. i know of my hypocritical nature. no need to point it out. i was saying "please can we not" because i know that these types of debates can go on for PAGES. so...please. can we not? (plus, i just wanted a reaction out of you. c'mon, you should know me by now)
you know, I honestly can't blame you for any of that because I'm probably twice as guilty as you are for everything I just said. Okay, I accept this truce

Reactions: Jak
Top Bottom