• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

So I Just Finished Enslaved

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg

All I have to say is that I don't get what the hype is about. Everyone who likes the game talked about the great story and characters. While Trip and Monkey weren't bad I didn't really care that much about either. I felt like there was a lot of unexplored potential between the two. Pigsy on the other hand just plain old sucked.

As for the story I couldn't believe how cheap the ending was. The whole game was basically a brighter, more colorful version of-
The Matrix.

I also felt like there was a lot of unexplored area in the story they could have gone more into.

The gameplay on the other hand...

While I thought it had a nice balance of platforming and combat I thought the combat was repetitive and tiresome. I never got into it and it wasn't before long I was playing it more to finish it then to enjoy it. There were several areas that I thought dragged on for way to long. The last big fight was one of them as well as several other battles through out the game.

All that said I can't help but be concerned with NT being the ones to make the new Devil May Cry game. I feel like even the people who like the changes so far should be a little worried if Enslaved is anything to go by.

Anyone else played Enslaved? What do you guys think about this?

WingsofaButterfly

DANTE!!! *Tackles*
Hmmm.

I don't get why people argue over New Dante and DMC5. It hasn't even GOT a storyline yet and people hate it.

Besides, only half the rights of DMC go to Ninja Theory. Capcom still has control over it. Meaning, DMC5 might not suck as much as you said Enslaved has.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
If Capcom has half a brain... No, even just a brain STEM, they'll have the previous DMC teams working on the combat.

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
DMC is a series with an established gameplay, while Enslaved and Heavenly Sword are different series with different gameplay, so people shouldnt be comparing DMC and the other two NT games.

Also, while NT is the developer, they still are being supervised by Capcom, and they will make sure they make their job right.

Meg

You know, comparing games by the same developer isn't that weird. People do it all the time. <_<

And while Capcom is supervising they're not gonna take full control over one part of the game and let NT develop the rest. NT is developing this game, story, combat, and all. And while DMC has an established combat system that doesn't automatically mean its going to be exactly the same.

Dominus

WingsofaButterfly;294920 said:
Hmmm.
I don't get why people argue over New Dante and DMC5. It hasn't even GOT a storyline yet and people hate it.
Because its not the Dante they have known for years, so its unwelcome change for most people. Also muddled information has been given out on what to take of the game which kind of ****es people off...

WingsofaButterfly;294920 said:
Hmmm.

Besides, only half the rights of DMC go to Ninja Theory. Capcom still has control over it. Meaning, DMC5 might not suck as much as you said Enslaved has.

I'm pretty sure that's not how it works, capcom still owns the full rights to the DMC series they are just allowing Ninja Theory to develop their 5th DMC game. Capcom does have control over it but its probably not that extensive. They certainly hold the keys to creative control, but we have yet to know how much influence they will have on core game mechanics and story presentation (probably little). So Enslaved(and Heavenly sword) are probably good indicators of what we will get. And btw have you played a real good game by capcom in the past 2-3 years? I haven't.

Meg

Dominus;294927 said:
I'm pretty sure that's not how it works, capcom still owns the full rights to the DMC series they are just allowing Ninja Theory to develop their 5th DMC game. Capcom does have control over it but its probably not that extensive. They certainly hold the keys to creative control, but we have yet to know how much influence they will have on core game mechanics and story presentation (probably little). So Enslaved(and Heavenly sword) are probably good indicators of what we will get. And btw have you played a real good game by capcom in the past 2-3 years? I haven't.

Yeah, that's what I was trying to get across. :lol:

And I played a really good Capcom game in the past 2-3 years. Its called DMC4. :lol:

The crazy demon

Metal Gear Vindicare.
Meg;294926 said:
You know, comparing games by the same developer isn't that weird. People do it all the time. <_<

And while Capcom is supervising they're not gonna take full control over one part of the game and let NT develop the rest. NT is developing this game, story, combat, and all. And while DMC has an established combat system that doesn't automatically mean its going to be exactly the same.

You're right.

It wont stay exactly the same, otherwise it would get stale aand boring, now we can`t still say if the gameplay is gonna be similar to the older DMC or different (For better and worse :p) .

Dominus: DMC4 was good enought :), well at least or me.

Meg

The crazy demon;294933 said:
You're right.

It wont stay exactly the same, otherwise it would get stale aand boring, now we can`t still say if the gameplay is gonna be similar to the older DMC or different (For better and worse :p) .

Dominus: DMC4 was good enought :), well at least or me.

I didn't mean exactly the same like they wouldn't change it at all. XD I just meant there's no way to know if it will be like past DMC games or not. Which is what you just said. ^_^

Legendary Darkslayer

The Roguedemonhunter
Meg, I played Enslaved and I have to agree with you on all points. The combat for me is what made it extremely boring. It was repetitive and so plain and simple. The platforming also made me mad. Again, like the combat, it felt too easy...at times i just pressed X and the control stick in a random direction and found myself on another platform. It didnt require any real skill or timing. As for the story, I didnt think it was all that great. but I thought the voice acting was pretty good. They actually talked like real people would.

I just hope NT isnt in charge of combat lol. I also hope DmC wont be too platforming-heavy like Enslaved was....i just dont think the jumps in DMC are suited for that kind of precision.

Asmodaius

I admit, I too was rather surprised by the ending of Enslaved and was somewhat disappointed, but I still think the story was rather cool. To me, the ending kinda suggests that there will be a sequal which I hope. I would like to know what will happen next to Monkey and Trip. They've travelled so far together and then it just ends so suddenly. It's a story they can build more on.

As for the gameplay, I liked it, but it wasn't DMC. I indeed hope that DmC will keep the gameplay mechanics from the past games and improve it.

Chrysander

I agree with Meg. It only makes sense to look at the other games they have made. Also, capcom picked these guys out of all developers, you don't do that at random, they based their decision on Heavenly Sword, so be ready for DmC to take on elements of that game.

DemonDream

Lin Kuei (Forest Demon)
Premium
I know that the ending was a disappointment to almost everybody who played Enslaved, but I thought it was more of philosophical ending for me. And I agree with Asmodaius, it was probably also meant for a sequel.
Chrysander;295144 said:
Also, capcom picked these guys out of all developers, you don't do that at random, they based their decision on Heavenly Sword, so be ready for DmC to take on elements of that game.

Sometimes I always wondered about capcom picking a company or a company asked capcom to develop a game for them. When I heard that Blue Castle Games was developing for Dead rising 2, I thought to myself why are they the ones to develop DR2? All I know about them is that they are known for making good baseball games. When the game finally came out it still retains many elements of the original game and it greatly improved for me and a bunch of dead rising fans. I don't know if DmC will be based some, half, or all the elements of Heavenly Sword, but I will be ready if it does.

Esura

Your breasts are illegal!!
I already see elements of Heavenly Sword from the trailer via that Ivy Valentine rip off sword. They need to ditch that sword, or at least let me use a bunch of other ones. Seriously, why do most next gen action game developer have to have a weapon that acts like God of War's Blade of Chaos or do multiple ****? The only game I actually excused from comparing to Blades of Chaos was Castlevania Lord of Shadow, mainly because Castlevania's Vampire Killer whip (Combat Cross in LoS) was first. I figured a Belmont would use a whip like that in 3D like LoS anyways.

DemonDream

Lin Kuei (Forest Demon)
Premium
Esura;295221 said:
I already see elements of Heavenly Sword from the trailer via that Ivy Valentine rip off sword. They need to ditch that sword, or at least let me use a bunch of other ones. Seriously, why do most next gen action game developer have to have a weapon that acts like God of War's Blade of Chaos or do multiple ****? The only game I actually excused from comparing to Blades of Chaos was Castlevania Lord of Shadow, mainly because Castlevania's Vampire Killer whip (Combat Cross in LoS) was first. I figured a Belmont would use a whip like that in 3D like LoS anyways.

Well I don't know really see any resemblance of Ivy's whip to the heavenly sword weapon but that's IMO. The way how I see the heavenly sword weapon is two rope darts but the darts is replaced with gigantic fantasy Chinese swords and the swords has the ability to split into two like a double dao(Chinese broadsword). The whole idea of the heavenly sword weapon was supposed to be a collection of Chinese weapons put together, but I only see two things put together. In the end, I don't know if that was the intention at first or at all, it's an assumption from me. I always thought that the blades of chaos was like rope darts or nine section whips(chain whip) with a short fat sword as the tip of the ropes. When GOW came out I kept saying, "it's a DMC ripoff!" because i hated the fans and i brought the game just for the trophies.:p

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I haven't played Enslaved, although I keep eyeballing it every time I walk past it at the GS. But I agree with TCD's first post - you can't compare the DMC franchise to a totally different game series, even if it is made by the same developer. NT was contracted to handle the story-telling and creative aspects (alongside an employee of Capcom who worked on the previous DMC's creative specs so it's not like they're dumping ALL of this solely on NT), which means if you want to compare games, you can do so on the terms of graphic design, creativity, plot elements, side-missions, visual details, voice acting, directing and production of the cutscenes.

But Capcom confirmed, again and again in interviews, that the core elements that make DMC will be kept in tact - these core elements include Dante, demons, possibly hot chics, and the gameplay mechanics, combos and ranks. Which means the gameplay will basically be the same, but since it's a reboot there will be new additions that will benefit the gamer and smack us out of our boredom and make us go 'wow, that is fudgin awesome!'

I mean, look at it this way - developers are gamers, too. NT aren't blind idiots, they've played the games, they know what will be expected and they know they have to exceed those expectations to the satisfaction of the fans. Although I stand by my vote that no matter how great the game is, fans will still find something to whine about. You know, if it's not going to be whining about the gameplay being fast/slow/monotonous/too diverse, it will be complaining about pitiful details that don't affect the overall game such as how many pixels went into that sword and why Dante never smiles and why he's not being c0cky, etc etc.

Anyway I guess the point I'm trying to make is that DmC can't truly be compared to Enslaved or Heavenly Sword because DMC is a totally different ballgame. Am I right or am I wrong?

Meg

Master Vergil;295381 said:
I mean, look at it this way - developers are gamers, too. NT aren't blind idiots, they've played the games, they know what will be expected and they know they have to exceed those expectations to the satisfaction of the fans. Although I stand by my vote that no matter how great the game is, fans will still find something to whine about. You know, if it's not going to be whining about the gameplay being fast/slow/monotonous/too diverse, it will be complaining about pitiful details that don't affect the overall game such as how many pixels went into that sword and why Dante never smiles and why he's not being c0cky, etc etc.

Anyway I guess the point I'm trying to make is that DmC can't truly be compared to Enslaved or Heavenly Sword because DMC is a totally different ballgame. Am I right or am I wrong?

Or the fact that he smokes. ;)

I get what you're saying, but it isn't unusual to look at a developers past games when talking about their upcoming one. Think of it this way, if a company known for making crappy games was given the DMC license wouldn't you be a bit worried?

Thing is, NT is a new developer. Enslaved was supposed to have a great story and characters and I didn't care about either. The gameplay wasn't that great either. What I'm saying is that NT hasn't shown me they know how to make a great game and that worries me. However, I wasn't aware that a DMC expert from Capcom was on the team. That's good news. Thanks for telling me that. ^_^

Meg

I thought she said there was a Capcom rep on the team. That doesn't mean Capcom is handling the gameplay.

And besides, even if they were NT would still control the story and characters and I've already stated my opinion on that. :lol:

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
NT was contracted to handle the story-telling and creative aspects,which means if you want to compare games, you can do so on the terms of graphic design, creativity, plot elements, side-missions, visual details, voice acting, directing and production of the cutscenes.

I think you missed this.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom