• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Shouldn't we DMC fans be grateful about DmC instead of acting like it was something unwanted?

Status
Not open for further replies.

IncarnatedDemon

It seems being a DMC fan is a bad thing.
Excuse me, but who is doing what in this thread? It's aDmC fan telling DMC fans to be grateful for the reboot because the story of DMC4 was poor.

Ignoring the fact that the gameplay was pretty good. Gameplay...the essence of Devil May Cry. While the reboot's gameplay was not anything special.
Ignoring that DMC4 seemed to be rushed, while reboot was not.
Ignoring fact that DMC has potential for a epic Vergil game, with good story and excellent gameplay. Explaining Vergil's background in a good way.

No, i rather have faith that the serie i am fan of, DMC, can rise up from the ashes.
That is what being a fan means. So i won't have anyone in this thread accuse me of not being a fan of Dante by saying i care only about the gameplay.

I am big fan of Dante enuff to understand why and accept that making another game with Dante as protaganist is not a good idea.
And why do people go to Bayonetta and MGR ? Obvious: the gameplay has much more potential than the reboot. The reboot is mostly a recycled gameplay of past games with a new paint job.
But most of all: we didn't ask for DmC. It even failed to sales and gameplay expectations. NOONE is calling DmC "The perfect DMc". NOONE.
It's only a 6.5/10 game "Its not bad, but its not extraordinary either".
"But reboot has potential". So what? So does original serie...
If Capcom hires a passionate writer who also is fan of DMC, i believe we could see a Vergil game with good story telling and excellent gameplay. That is capcom doing the gameplay while the writer deals with story.

And if Dante was a real person, i don't think he would care much for NTDante. Afterall NTDante took his place in Playstation Allstar, Tameem said Dante is laughable (creator of NTDante).
Imagine if your mother or father cloned you after you died.
If Dante was a real person, he would not be happy about being replaced by NTDante.
What would Dante tell to NTDante? "Your gonna take over my place in main serie, Playstation Allstar, and i am not cool anymore, and according to your creator i am laughable? Lets have a beer!"

SugarMoon

It's One on One.
To answer the TC's question: Nope not at all. Why would I be grateful for a game that didn't satisfy me?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
WORD VOMIT. I NEVER PLAYED DmC. "

How can someone talk so much and say absolutely nothing?

I too can imagine both Dante's chilling out together chatting about stuff over pizza. They're a lot alike already. It's kind of like they're basically the same person. :blink:

Mind=blown.

NERO ! KYRIE ! NERO KYRIE ! NERO ! KYRIE ! NERO KYRIE ! NERO ! KYRIE ! NERO KYRIE ! = GOTY Contender.

Verbal tennis like that can only be matched by people like Inuyasha and Kagome. :p

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
It's a DmC fan telling DMC fans to be grateful for the reboot because the story of DMC4 was poor.
"DMC fans" "DmC fans" WTF are you talking about ? i like both DMC and DmC and that has nothing to do with this thread.. DMC 4 was a weak entry in the series with a quaint possibility of a even weaker sequel.

Just because i'm objective enough to point out that DMC 4 was a piece of crap from a story standpoint doesn't mean i'm a DmC fanboy or a DMC hater i just like to have objective opinions.

>Ignoring the fact that the gameplay was pretty good.
Did you just miss my 10 posts where i mentioned that DMC 4's only redeeming factor was its gameplay ?
>Ignoring fact that DMC has potential for a epic Vergil game
Except vergil isn't a compelling character to begin with

DmC was inevitable like it or not.. its not something which came from the blue they knew that DMC 4 was a mess up.
To answer the TC's question: Nope not at all. Why would I be grateful for a game that didn't satisfy me?
Because its continuing DMC in one way or the other ??

ef9dante_oSsshea

Premium
Xen-Omni 2020
Well your honest opinion is certainly one full of good criticism and an open mind

Bravo!

thanks dude I‘m a fan of the series and franchise as a whole and though id like the original o be continued, if it is not i will play the reboots sequels if thats what we get as im a devil may cry series fan

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
But it was something unwanted, so why would people be grateful for it? You're acting like we should all have been grateful from the get-go. :/

I feel DmC invalidates (almost) everything that's happened up to now. It invalidates the previous games. Sure, the DMC games still exist, I know that would be your argument (as I've heard it before), but in terms of plot, characters and pretty much everything else, they just threw it all away (oh, sorry, rebooted it -_-). They didn't even end the DMC series. Instead, they decided to 'westernize' a game series that didn't need to be westernized. They decided to replace DMC's personality with that of DmC. It turned out not to work for many people, so they understandably got upset. You don't just throw away the old series and replace it with something that doesn't resemble it much. And you certainly shouldn't slap the name Devil May Cry on it if it's essentially a remake-boot (remoot? rebake)? Yes, I call it a rebake because it's so different from DMC in terms of atmosphere, characters, soundtrack, all of that. The gameplay's similar to DMC4... yeah, so what? Gameplay doesn't make or break the game; it's all of its parts combined. The word 'reboot' makes it sound like they've started over after many years, without changing anything (or very little). Besides, it's a needless rehash. Seriously, Mundus again? Oh look, I'm fighting Vergil now - it's trying to be DMC3. How... original? Revolutionary? It has indeed been 're-baked'.

Maybe I would accept it if it were a bit less pretentious in that it's trying too hard, and if it were a bit closer to the original feel of Devil May Cry, because it's too similar to what they did with RE6. RE4, maybe passable, but RE6...man. It hardly feels like RE. Rocket launcher-wielding parasite zombies exploding when you kill them... well, alrighty then!
But even then, if Capcom is trying to do something new, I'd tell them to do something new. Develop a new game. Be more creative. Be less assholy about the fans' reactions. You're catering to the fans, or consumers, a bit too - let's say 70% your product, 30% the customers'. Public relations, consumer satisfaction, etc. This is also what you're a company for, so get used to it.

As for DMC4, I thought it was a pretty good game. The backtracking really did a number on it, but in terms of quality, it wasn't that far off from DMC3. Say what you will about its form of humor, word play and characters, but whatever you say may be considered subjective, as it has nothing to do with the game's quality per se. The gameplay still hasn't been beaten, the characters are 'Japanesey', (but in a cool way), the graphics are really nice, the soundtrack is nice at times, and the plot is decent enough. I don't think plots need to be overly intricate or original, they just need to be done well. The writing/script helps a lot, too. Originality does not equal quality. If it did, there would be very few TV shows, plays, games and other media that could get good reviews.
Even the voice acting is decent. Neither the backtracking nor DMC4's version of Dante ruins the game for me. If it did, it would be pretty odd to consider DMC3 a lot better, as it featured some backtracking, too, and had a more (obviously) obnoxious, hyperactive version of Dante. So that argument would not make any sense. An aversion to his clothing is understandable. DMC1 was a very nice game at the time, no doubt, but saying it's the best DMC in terms of gameplay even today, well, that's ludicrous. The combos you do are far less interesting, less intricate, audiovisually less appealing, and so on.

Yeah, DmC was a mistake; even financially it didn't do as well as they'd hoped. It just transcended the minimum quota. Anyway, there's been enough debate about that, so I won't go into that again.

IncarnatedDemon

"DMC fans" "DmC fans" WTF are you talking about ? i like both DMC and DmC and that has nothing to do with this thread.. DMC 4 was a weak entry in the series with a quaint possibility of a even weaker sequel.
There are people on this board who are more fan of one of the serie than the other.

Just because i'm objective enough to point out that DMC 4 was a piece of crap from a story standpoint doesn't mean i'm a DmC fanboy or a DMC hater i just like to have objective opinions.
DmC's story is not a shining gem either. Most of people who took part in this thread voted that reboot's story is not particularly better than dmc1s. Which says alot, reboot had alot emphasis on the story, while dmc1 didn't.

And i am objective too. I think the story of dmc4 was pretty crap with some nice dialogue and scenes into it.

Did you just miss my 10 posts where i mentioned that DMC 4's only redeeming factor was its gameplay ?
Then...shouldn't you take that into account (thegameplay) aswell before you tell people to be grateful for the reboot?
Except vergil isn't a compelling character to begin with
Seriously?
DmC was inevitable like it or not.. its not something which came from the blue they knew that DMC 4 was a mess up.
Actually they rebooted dmc because of sales. And it was because of Keji Inafune that they thought "Let's reboot", not because they knew dmc4's story was a mess.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Actually they rebooted dmc because of sales. And it was because of Keji Inafune that they thought "Let's reboot", not because they knew dmc4's story was a mess.

I think you might be right about that. I mean, if the sole reason was 'because it was a mess', wouldn't they have rebooted the DMC series after DMC2? They could've just left DMC4 alone and started a new plot, instead of rebooting DMC. In fact, every DMC game has a new plot.

No, they did this to make Devil May Cry games have a more uniform, ongoing story. DmC2 would likely be a sequel to DmC, in the sense that it continues the story.

But after four games, they decide to do it completely differently? Too little, too late - though I appreciate Capcom's/NT's zeal.

IncarnatedDemon

I gurantee you, hire three writers who have a certain level of talent AND are fans of dmc.

Let them look at Vergil's story in dmc3 manga and game.
Make a Dmc3 Vergil game called "Vergil's Despair".
Let the writers controll the scenes and script.
While Platinum Games or capcoms own team make the gameplay.

The game will explain and go into more depth with Vergil's story, and also provide excellent gameplay.

That's a receipe for success right there :)

IncarnatedDemon

Well, you're right it being a good game. As for a commercial success, it's too early to tell.

So, who did you have in mind to write this?
Any passionate dmc fan on this forum that has a certain level of talent with story telling and aims to repair flaws in the story rather than overwrite it.

Why three writers? To ensure one writers interpretation doesn't dominate the story. And more writers = more interpretations of Vergil = more perspectives.
The more the better.

Alittleacorn

Smile it confuses people
I too can imagine both Dante's chilling out together chatting about stuff over pizza. They're a lot alike already. It's kind of like they're basically the same person. :blink:

Mind=blown.
dmc__armwrestle_by_lilacsbloom-d602sxa.jpg

And don't forget arm wrestling, and possible bras being used to propelled water balloons at demons if they both get totally drunk!:lol: Damn I wanna go to that party.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
Decided to post this now to avoid making my previous comment longer.

This topic was not created to give praise to DmC, it was made to criticize people who like DMC4. As though DMC4 is the sole reason why Devil May Cry was rebooted. If it is, then shouldn't DMC have been rebooted a long time ago, after DMC2? Elaboration: If you think DMC4 was a mess and the series got rebooted because of it, that wouldn't make sense considering they went on after DMC2, as 2 is less of a coherent DMC game than 4 (fixable plotholes not included).
There is no objective argument in the TS's post; he just criticizes DMC4's sense of humor (by showing the Lucifer cutscene). It's just the TS going ''I don't like very pronounced sexual innuendo, script devices such as calling each others' names (Nero and Kyrie) or games that are over the top/campy, therefore DMC4 sucks and DmC is preferable''.

No offense, and sorry if this comes across as accusative, just saying the thread was misnamed, and that I think you may have subconsciously created this thread to vent feelings about DMC4. That should be posted in the DMC4 section, not the general discussion.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
You're just going to keep writing until you get a rise out of someone, aren't you?

I'm trying to make a point, and I think making my previous comment longer is just going to annoy people. There is such a thing as clear, concise writing.
Now, can we get back to the topic? I'm not going to get dragged into this one. Otherwise, there's the ignore button if you don't like to read my comments.

EDIT: you know what? No. I haven't said anything anyone should take offense to personally. I said one or two views didn't make sense, and I explained why by use of cogent, clear arguments. I've posted, what, three times? That's. It. How often have you posted unnecessary accusative, inflammatory comments, including the time I had to contact Angel? Don't you dare school me on manners.

EDIT #2: if I were trying to flame or something, I would negatively respond to Nelo The Great's comment after this one. I will not. You, however, have already reacted negatively to my previous comment for no apparent reason.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom