• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Should Nero get back his Devil Bringer?

Should Nero get back his Devil Bringer?

• Yes

Votes: 6 37.5%
  • No

Votes: 7 43.8%
  • Depends (elaborate below)

Votes: 3 18.8%

• Total voters

devil_inside123

The devil in the dark
From what we've seen of the devil breakers they seem much more useful and versatile than the original DB ever was (even if they are fragile, where as the devil bringer was darn near indestructible). At this point would getting the devil bringer back be a downgrade? And if we do get it back do you think it'll function as an unbreakable devil breaker that gives you the DMC4 moves? Let me know your thoughts.

Last edited:

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
I want Devil Bringer to come back throughout DMCV! If it did, it'd be a perfect chance to upgrade Nero's Devil Trigger into a full-fledged cambion.

I think (if it's Vergil) recovered Yamato from Nero and later sliced off his arm as a means of showing he's not ready for such power, until he's mastered his full potential as a half-demon.

If it's Vergil behind the cloak, he might return Nero's arm for him to unleash his full power.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Hmm...I guess it depends on how Nero's characterisation pans out in 5.

Throughout 4 he was wrestling with his demonic side (a visual metaphor if you like since it is actually visible and he has to hide it from the people he cares about). By the end of the game he's accepted himself and Kyrie accepted all of him. Which is why it was so baffling to me that they seemingly undid that by just cutting it off in the trailer for 5.

But then how they handle Nero's character could change my opinion. Him exploring his family heritage and/or the nature of being a hybrid now that he's lost the Devil Bringer that his powers used to manifest through, and maybe he'll even gain a full Devil Trigger and won't need the Bringer anymore. The possibilities are endless...

Last edited:

DarkSlayerVergil

I'd much prefer if he still retained the devil breaker on his right arm and got the devil bringer on his left when retrieving it from Vergil. His devil bringer could be used to enhance his devil breakers attacks and his avatar would change showing the Devil Breaker as his avatars red queen and the Devil Bringer as its yamato effectively dual wielding. This also could be a metaphor for Nero split heritage much like Dantes rebellion is double sided with one part having a demons skull and the other having a human face.

ToCool74

"Fair" DmC Skeptic
Premium
I want Devil Bringer to come back throughout DMCV! If it did, it'd be a perfect chance to upgrade Nero's Devil Trigger into a full-fledged cambion.

I think (if it's Vergil) recovered Yamato from Nero and later sliced off his arm as a means of showing he's not ready for such power, until he's mastered his full potential as a half-demon.

If it's Vergil behind the cloak, he might return Nero's arm for him to unleash his full power.

First of all he is not a cambion, I think you should look that term up right quick because you seem to have become mixed up somehow. Secondly Nero is not half demon since his father Vergil himself is only a half demon who impregnated a human woman and thus that would mean Nero is only a quarter of a demon. When you actually stop to think about it it makes perfect sense why he does not have a full devil trigger like Dante or Vergil's since he has a quarter of demon blood to work with and thus technically speaking he is mostly human but thanks to Sparda's potent and powerful bloodline he makes up for his low demon blood with raw power and skill.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
To be honest I rather he not have lost it in the first place.

But the fact he can't just regrow the arm in the first place means there are limits to his healing factor.

Its a nice touch and I'm cool with him just having to rely on the devil breaker.

I agree with @Lain tho. He could learn to use his innate devil power but no longer need the bringer to manifest it.

DarkSlayerVergil

To be honest I rather he not have lost it in the first place.

But the fact he can't just regrow the arm in the first place means there are limits to his healing factor.

Its a nice touch and I'm cool with him just having to rely on the devil breaker.

I agree with @Lain tho. He could learn to use his innate devil power but no longer need the bringer to manifest it.
Actually not being able to regrow limbs seems something most demons and even Dante can't do.

Goldsickle

I kinda expect "Devil Bringer Nero" to be playable a bit in a "prologue" chapter before losing his arm.
And that version of Nero can be unlocked later.

I didn't like the artificial difficulty where you can only use arms in the order you collect them.
Like if there's a Gerbera and Overture before the Buster Arm, you need to intentionally get rid of those earlier two if you wanna Buster the stunned boss before you.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
^ I was thinking about that myself and it could be possible that based on how Nero's arm was lost might have something to do with not being able to regenerate it, like for example if it was done by a certain "cursed weapon" that inflicts wounds that do not heal or maybe it had something to do with the power of the perpetrator itself causing some kind of interference.

The main point being, shouldn't the Devil Bringer lose it's power once severed from Nero? Maybe it's being preserved in some way? Who knows...

DarkSlayerVergil

Idk about that. In 3 he regenerates from getting shot in the head. So i thought it was a possibility he could regenerate an arm or something if he had too.
True but from what I gathered through out the series Dante and by extension Vergil and Nero can only heal wounds if said blade doesn't fully get in the way of rejoining to pieces back together. Like say if someone tried to decapitate Dante with a katana it wouldn't kill him cause the blade wouldn't wide enough to intercept his healing facter. Now if someone were to say take a guillotine to Dante neck, something that wide enough to separate his neck from his head I'd venture to say that'd do him in and also remember in 3 even Arkham after gaining Spardas power still had reattach a limb in order to still use it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
He could learn to use his innate devil power but no longer need the bringer to manifest it.
The thing about that is that the phantom hand came from his arm but his DT didn't manifest until he had the Yamato. I'd wager that without a devil arm he won't be able to DT.

DMC

Devil May Cry
I think he doesnt need his arm to DT.... I think just have his glowing red eyes and aura if he DT.... Wont be visible like dante and vergil but itll just be enough to show he has some demon inside him

DarkSlayer54

True but from what I gathered through out the series Dante and by extension Vergil and Nero can only heal wounds if said blade doesn't fully get in the way of rejoining to pieces back together. Like say if someone tried to decapitate Dante with a katana it wouldn't kill him cause the blade wouldn't wide enough to intercept his healing facter. Now if someone were to say take a guillotine to Dante neck, something that wide enough to separate his neck from his head I'd venture to say that'd do him in and also remember in 3 even Arkham after gaining Spardas power still had reattach a limb in order to still use it.

I could imagine them having the ability to regenerate limbs in their DT form. They morph, and grow horns / tails / wings anyway.

If they wanted to, I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to explain any limb regeneration that way.

DarkSlayerVergil

I could imagine them having the ability to regenerate limbs in their DT form. They morph, and grow horns / tails / wings anyway.

If they wanted to, I'd imagine it wouldn't be hard to explain any limb regeneration that way.
This already kinda disproves the ability to grow limbs.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Idk about that. In 3 he regenerates from getting shot in the head. So i thought it was a possibility he could regenerate an arm or something if he had too.

I'll reiterate what @ToCool74 just wrote:

he has a quarter of demon blood to work with and thus technically speaking he is mostly human but thanks to Sparda's potent and powerful bloodline he makes up for his low demon blood with raw power and skill.

Basically because Vergil was half human and half demon, and he impregnated a human woman, that means Nero is twice as human but with a strong strain of Sparda's blood in him that gives him raw power, but without all the bells and whistles of healing fast. Thus why he couldn't regenerate his arm.

DarkSlayer54

This already kinda disproves the ability to grow limbs.

That could be easily explained by Arkham's limited knowledge, and limited skill with demonic power. If Capcom wanted to, I really don't think it would be tough for them to give Dante or Vergil that ability. Lots of ways to explain it, imo.

DarkSlayerVergil

That could be easily explained by Arkham's limited knowledge, and limited skill with demonic power. If Capcom wanted to, I really don't think it would be tough for them to give Dante or Vergil that ability. Lots of ways to explain it, imo.
I doubt it had anything to do with Arkham limited knowledge and more to with him not being worthy but honestly we're kinda getting into head-canon territory at this point.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I voted no and I have both a story and gameplay reason for it.

Story wise, so far it seems like losing his arm is kind of gonna be the crux of his potential subplot with Vergil. I think that event would lose its impact if he gets the Devil Bringer back, and would feel pretty cheap imo.

Gameplay wise, hey, the Devil Bringer was definitely one of the most fun things to play with in DMC4, especially against bosses but let's be honest, these Devil Breakers look a lot more fun and vary than his old arm ever was. And I dare say ever could be too, as I don't see Nero being able to surf on his Devil Bringer, or shoot a barrage of lasers with it, or turn it into a freaking railgun, etc etc. The very recent news that we'll be able to freely switch between these Breakers in the full game is all I needed to say that they are what Nero needed to make his gameplay more vary and his moveset more versatile.

So to answer OP's question, yeah, I think giving Nero his Bringer back would indeed be a downgrade.
That said though, I wouldn't mind it if they gave him a separate special costume where you get to play with his old DB, with a dedicated moveset. They did it once in DMC3 with Vergil's corrupted costume in Nelo Angelo mode, they could do it again. His moveset was also more limited and different than regular Vergil's but it was a cool feature and the game was still playable with it.

Top Bottom