• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sexism/misogyny in dmc

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I can see why they'd think that. While they do exist, they're just not all that common -- at least from my experience, anyway.

To me, they've been more or less like UFO's; heard of, but not seen very often.

Yes, I do go outside (sometimes).

Yeah? I think every female I know who isn't, like... over 70 and my grandma has played or does play videogames... and I know quite a few.

The exception to me would be to meet a girl who looked at me like I was an alien and said "whut?" when I mentioned videogames. Meet a lot of people who still haven't heard of DMC though

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
You know what's totally sexist against men? The fact that Dante goes shirtless in DMC3, and then wears goddamn tights in DMC4
That's not sexist. That's called Dante growing up. He can't walk around looking like DMC3 Dante forever. I prefer his more covered up look. Sure, he looks like he robbed a cowboy, but I prefer it.

And while I'm at it, why is it in every romance movie, there is a scene where the muscular, well groomed, immaculate faced guy takes off his shirt, yet there is no controversy, however, whenever a hot girl is in a movie, it doesn't matter if she is wearing clothes or not, it's a controversy and totally sexist because some girl gets jealous because she is not as pretty as said actress.
If men don't like the unattainable image of muscular guys, then complain about it. It's unreasonable to expect all men to be really muscular. Some guys just physically are incapable of looking like that. But I assume that guys have the sense and intelligence to know that this image is an ideal created by Hollywood to sell movies.

Women don't cry sexism just because they are jealous of an attractive actress. Where did you get that idea from?:facepalm: Would you say the same about men and attractive male actors? Or is it just women who get jealous?
I have no problem with attractive women in movies same as I have no problem with attractive men. That's how Hollywood works. They sell an image. You wouldn't watch a movie with average or ugly people in it.

Usually, the most I think is that the woman looks cool or I like her style. What women object to is being treated as nothing but sex objects, rape scenes in movies and possibly abuse scenes.

If my girlfriend can drag me to a theater so she can spend 2 damn hours pretending that whoever the **** Robert Pattinson is playing is her boyfriend instead of me, then I have EVERY GODDAMN RIGHT to take 1/10 of a second to look at a Playboy ad in Dead Rising 2.
Hold on, you have a girlfriend? You're joking right? Some girl was conned into dating you.:laugh: Okay, trolling aside, I don't see the problem with going to see Twilight for Pattinson. I went to watch Thor for Tom Hiddleston. But I go because I like his acting in general and I like his portrayal of Loki. I don't go to drool over him.

Also, are you jealous of Pattinson? I'd assume so considering you say women are jealous of attractive actresses. Or doesn't this apply to men?

Hell, they sacrificed all hope of a DECENT Green Lantern movie by making him have a CGI suit so that girls could swoon over Ryan Reynolds.
I see no difference between that and a movie with an attractive women for the guys to stare at. If guys can have that, women should be able to have the same. It goes both ways.

Wow, they actually thought women don't play games and that gives them the excuse for perverted things?

I mean don't get me wrong; I'd like a few peverted things every now and then, but I'd want them to be put in with the forethought that women would or might play this too.
Wow indeed. They should realise that women do play games. Besides, each women's level of acceptability varies. I don't mind a lot of things, but I draw the line at abuse, rape or characters that look like children doing suggestive things.

All the other stuff, women in skimpy armour, huge tits...It's just a game and I'm fine with that. I've grown up with it, so I accept that's what some games are like. Maybe it's telling that I just accept it, but I do. Besides, there are a lot of male characters topless with muscles or effeminate looking men that women like to look at. So this thing goes both ways.

Yeah? I think every female I know who isn't, like... over 70 and my grandma has played or does play videogames... and I know quite a few.

The exception to me would be to meet a girl who looked at me like I was an alien and said "whut?" when I mentioned videogames. Meet a lot of people who still haven't heard of DMC though
I know a few female gamers. Wish there were more though. Got to admit, there were a few guys, who at first, were quite surprised that I play games. Maybe I don't look like the type? But it does seem that the idea that females don't play games is still very alive.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
I'm not saying they all play games the way I do, or nerd out over them... but they've all played one at some point...

And if we're talking about females I know online... 95% of them do. Every single one on this forum for starters. There's a lot of them, as opposed to being some rare creature that belongs in a glass case. Sure, I do think more guys play probably and more often maybe, but if gaming were to be considered a more 'normal' pastime I imagine more women would play and then this myth would be stomped. It's only a matter of time anyway, I've watched gaming go from a basement nerd thing to a mainstream form of entertainment as big, if not bigger, than film. And the bigger it gets the more acceptable it will become.

It is annoying though to still see the attitude that gaming is something for young people (like the internet also) and a childish and stupid thing to spend your time doing. (As opposed to what, drinking? Watching TV? sure). But that WILL change.

seraphmaycry

It is annoying though to still see the attitude that gaming is something for young people (like the internet also) and a childish and stupid thing to spend your time doing. (As opposed to what, drinking? Watching TV? sure). But that WILL change.

WIN!!!

seriously though, dmc was acceptable for various reason up until four.
nevan's in the clear (surprisingly) because she's one of the gate-keepers of temi-ni-gru, a group i believe each represent one of dantes 7 sins, it actually works for her to look the way she does because that's the entire purpose of the gatekeepers story-wise, to represent a sin.)

DmC wise, kat wears stupidly short shorts, but aren't they meant to keep people cool? however the camera angles, not so acceptable.

the strippers at the start are part of dantes character arc and say more about dante then females.

lilith i would believe is a overly done representation of a bitch, her character is so over-the-top that i doubt anyone actually believes that's a realistic representation of woman at all.

shortened version: dmc4 WTF?!

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
lilith i would believe is a overly done representation of a bitch, her character is so over-the-top that i doubt anyone actually believes that's a realistic representation of woman at all.
She's an exaggeration of those women on shows like 'real housewives'; the kind of creepy old woman with loads of plastic surgery to keep young, flirting with younger men and looking for some guy to pop out a trophy brat with so she can get his money. Women like Lilith exist, but they are not though of well by other women.

As for her in the game, I don't take offence at all. She's like an example of what women should never become. :tongue:

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Definitely a hint at those with all her loose skin and overdone looks. She's made out to be a pitiable character in the end as well, or is that just me? She seems pretty pathetic by the end.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I know a few female gamers. Wish there were more though. Got to admit, there were a few guys, who at first, were quite surprised that I play games. Maybe I don't look like the type? But it does seem that the idea that females don't play games is still very alive.
Yeah, that was the point I was trying to get across.
Definitely a hint at those with all her loose skin and overdone looks. She's made out to be a pitiable character in the end as well, or is that just me? She seems pretty pathetic by the end.
I felt sorry for her, as well. At least she lived a good life at the top of the world. Meh. Karma, you know?

berto

I Saw the Devil
hB114DA21

Stylish Nero

We Dem Boys!!

Also Metal Gear Solid V is rated M (no surprise there) for Blood and Gore, Intense Violence, Sexual Violence, and Strong Language.

Dantesanimus

I usually weigh this with how useful or how much impact a female character has on other characters or events in the game and then look at how they are represented physically. For the first three games DMC was actually pretty good with providing female characters that provided more complexity for the main protagonists without themselves being too underdeveloped or useless and (due to to tech at the time) they didn't appear all that hyper sexual. There is no question that 4 had the most objectification of female characters with a lack of purpose. Trish and Lady both got wardrobe/body changes that accentuated their lady bits quite a bit and they were barely in the game and even when they were they didn't really have any impact on the bulk of the story. Kyrie was only fully clothed because she was supposed to be the pure, innocent, virgin, Mcguffin that Nero was protecting/chasing after. I kind of chalked this up with a phase that Capcom goes through *cough* looking at you Bayonetta. With Kat I really don't find myself caring. Her physical appearance is fairly standard (as far as wardrobe) and her effect on the game and story is passable but since she doesn't ever do anything outside mediating decisions and doing basic NPC stuff I find her just boring in general and I think she could easily be replaced with a male character without much incident. Which I guess is better than the alternative. Over all I don't think that any of the games, except for 4 have ever been sexist because sexism was never reflected in characters that weren't antagonists and the plot never overtly dictated that something that happened to a male character could not also happen to a female. Dante never treated Lady, Lucia, or Trish different because they were women. *I can't remember if he did with Kat but that could have been due to her not being able to fight as opposed to her being a woman.*

Dantesanimus

I think
I'm not gonna say Devil May Cry is some pillar of gender equality, but lets remember that Dante runs around DMC3 deliberately without a shirt :tongue: Lady was more conservatively dressed than he was, haha. Then there's DmC's opening...

Kat, while they give her a couple of slightly tasteless shots, is really just dressed like a normal girl (which as we know with Dante, has been the point of the designs; inconspicuousness, not flamboyancy). Sure what she wears accentuates her body (as do the other ladies), but like Ieyasu mentioned about Lady in DMC3, Kat still had purpose, and didn't serve as eye candy.

All in all, I wouldn't say that Devil May Cry is at all misogynistic - there series was full of capable gals as much as guys, and even whatever they tried to pull with Lady and Trish in DMC4 isn't quite misogyny, it's just stupidity.

Keep in mind that misogyny means the hatred of women, which is not at all happening in this series. Devil May Cry loves its leading ladies, but...sometimes in the silliest and sometimes sexist ways.

I think the developers have finally realized who they should really be catering to in terms of fan-service. >:p

DanteTheJester

That devil hunting douche who married a pizza.
Wow. Sexism in DMC? FYI people, sexism is everywhere. Even sexism against men.

It's never gonna not be there. And it's never gonna just be against women. If it were just against women it would be easier to get rid of. But we got it everywhere. So there's no point in addressing it in a DMC forum. Take this stuff and write it into a speech. Get a megaphone, then go out in public and talk about it. That's better than complaining to a fanbase that really has no pull on the concept and how it's used.

Other than that, I'd say the reboot DMC was the only one that was overly sexist or misogynistic. But only because I never played it.

Sure. Lady had to get her ass saved in the end of DMC3. But so did everyone else. And who was the chosen star of the DMC series? It's not about Lady being the savior of the world. It's about Dante. And he didn't do it alone. She still contributed by giving the Kalina Ann to Dante and Dante using it to take down the bad guys. And she wasn't a weakling who had to be saved at every second by Dante. Remember how many times Danter left her behind to take care of business with Vergil? She wasn't fighting those demon hordes with Dante. She fought most of them on her own. And with only one male main character and two male antagonists, there really wasn't a need to add in more strong females considering the ratio. Having a ton of females who are strong and one guy who's strong won't fix anything. It's only reversing the stereotype. Reversing the stereotypes isn't key in fixing anything.

I'm a little rusty on DMC 1 and 2 so don't take my word for it on those two. But DMC 3 I just got done replaying. So that I can give you a good enough opinion on the matter.

And as said before, Dante in DMC 3 was the most revealing in his clothing. Lady showing off her legs was minor. Legs aren't socially viewed as appealing in sex as the chest and crotch areas of the human body.

Top Bottom