• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sexism/misogyny in dmc

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I really like sandwiches.

i-like-turtles-150x150.gif

berto

I Saw the Devil
They need to make robots to make sandwiches. That way, guys and girls get more free time...unless the robots become self aware and protest against sandwich making. :tongue:
We do have sandwich making robots. They are called subway employees.

Why is it always sandwiches anyway? I like it when me and my guy make pizza together. So much better than a sandwich and it's fun to make.
As a none american I never understood the fascination with that stereotype, ether. It might just be the thing that got stuck with it. it might have to do with the image of eating a sandwich in bed.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Yeah, but we got Airborne and Mountain Rangers, Navy SEALS, and Marines.
Yeah, but realistically speaking none of those are realistic portrayals of your standard american. They exists, yeah, and there are plenty of 'em, but most Americans aren't any of those.

Wait. Aren't mountain rangers originally Canadian?

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
Yeah, but realistically speaking none of those are realistic portrayals of your standard american. They exists, yeah, and there are plenty of 'em, but most Americans aren't any of those.

Wait. Aren't mountain rangers originally Canadian?

Sort of. The US Army Ranger has Airborne and Mountain Rangers, which I know for reasons.

Last edited:

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
AMERICA LAND OF THE STEREOTYPES!
Pretty much. It easy to put stereotypes into neat little boxes, package them and then sell them to the masses for consumerist gain. It's like that with any capitalist nation these days.

What I see of America these days on TV is either fake plastic old women who call themselves housewives, Jerry Springer hillbilly fodder catering to the lowest denominator, eating contests that praise obesity and overconsumption, creepy child beauty pageants with desperate mothers; or the stereotypical angry, uneducated African American preaching violence and misogyny through rap.

It's shameful that they still perpetuate this kind of thing and think it's okay to put on TV to show the rest of the world. They're perpetuating the idea of America being a land of ignorant, fat and stupid people. But I know that's not true because half of my family are American, highly educated and very successful business men and women.

TerrorA

Don't mess with a Mage, bitch.
No. For the most part females are sexualized and the male characters come off as just a male power fantasy. There's a fine line and a difference.

But a male power fantasy often comes off as sexual to women:

For example, when I got my sister to Berserk, she spent, (what was it, five, six minutes?) drooling over a shirtless picture of Guts.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Interesting article.

http://howtonotsuckatgamedesign.com/2013/12/marketers-fear-female-geek-2/

I never thought myself either that what videogame companies did was always consciously sexist/misogynistic with an agenda to degrade, (with a few exceptions - deliberately designed games to brutalize women) but more that it was a total myth inside the industry and out that "women don't play games" and therefore that women won't even see the stuff that get put into games regarding them, so it was 'okay' to just perv on them/make perv objects of them, and/or sideline them.

Game companies and their execs need to wake up and realize how much of a market they're losing due to this BS. So much potential business not being made.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Interesting article.

http://howtonotsuckatgamedesign.com/2013/12/marketers-fear-female-geek-2/

I never thought myself either that what videogame companies did was always consciously sexist/misogynistic with an agenda to degrade, (with a few exceptions - deliberately designed games to brutalize women) but more that it was a total myth inside the industry and out that "women don't play games" and therefore that women won't even see the stuff that get put into games regarding them, so it was 'okay' to just perv on them/make perv objects of them, and/or sideline them.

Game companies and their execs need to wake up and realize how much of a market they're losing due to this BS. So much potential business not being made.

Wow, they actually thought women don't play games and that gives them the excuse for perverted things?

I mean don't get me wrong; I'd like a few peverted things every now and then, but I'd want them to be put in with the forethought that women would or might play this too.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
Wow, they actually thought women don't play games... ?
I can see why they'd think that. While they do exist, they're just not all that common -- at least from my experience, anyway.

To me, they've been more or less like UFO's; heard of, but not seen very often.

Yes, I do go outside (sometimes).

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
You know what's totally sexist against men? The fact that Dante goes shirtless in DMC3, and then wears goddamn tights in DMC4
And while I'm at it, why is it in every romance movie, there is a scene where the muscular, well groomed, immaculate faced guy takes off his shirt, yet there is no controversy, however, whenever a hot girl is in a movie, it doesn't matter if she is wearing clothes or not, it's a controversy and totally sexist because some girl gets jealous because she is not as pretty as said actress.
If my girlfriend can drag me to a theater so she can spend 2 damn hours pretending that whoever the **** Robert Pattinson is playing is her boyfriend instead of me, then I have EVERY GODDAMN RIGHT to take 1/10 of a second to look at a Playboy ad in Dead Rising 2.

Hell, they sacrificed all hope of a DECENT Green Lantern movie by making him have a CGI suit so that girls could swoon over Ryan Reynolds.

Top Bottom