• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Seriously, why is there so much love for a character like Vergil?

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Ok, well I hope not to rustle any jimmies here but just hear me out. I never really understood the fan club surrounding Vergil because he's such a one dimensional and boring character to me and also quite frankly kind of stupid. He's the polar opposite of Dante and this can make for an interesting conflict IF the character would ever be actually developed. I love villians but I love good villians. In 3, Vergil had like a vendetta against the entire human race just because he embraces his devil side more than his hummanity but this ultimately all stems from him failing to save his HUMAN mommy's life. So, he just basically teams up with the people who ruined his life and pretty much stands against everything someone like his father stood for. His parents must be so proud. It just seems rather silly and he doesn't have a good reason to do what he does to me. But also this was just Capcom and I know that they don't know how to write so I guess it's ok. The DmC Vergil was getting grief and it just doesn't make sense because the guy never had any sort of depth. In the new one, they are actually establishing a relationship between the brothers and I think when Vergil switches sides it will mean alot more here. I hope there's a good reason he would swap sides and if a sequel to DmC ever rolls around I think we'd have some really cool and depthful clashes between brothers who once stood and fought together but then find themselves on opposite sides. Especially since saving the world was Vergil's idea. Plus, I like Vergil's look in the new one alot more because that coat he wore in the previous game looked stupid in my opinion.
Maybe the Vergil fan club just exist because the fans made him out more than he really was. Creating a better character based on the small things we do see about him. It's not hard to write better than Capcom. :p

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
The dark and brooding "evil" brother always tends to get the oddly large fanclub. Just ask Sesshoumaru from Inuyasha; fans galore, and he was an antagonist for the longest time. It may also be a silver hair thing, since Sephroth of FF7 fame has a...enourmously large fanclub, and was such a one dimensional figure that he didn't honestly warrent it.

To be fair, the complexity of WHY Vergil hates humans when DEMONS killed his mother actually offers a lot to examine, it's just we don't get to see much of him in DMC3, and in DMC1...he's been brain raped by Mundus. That is my interest in him, to examine how complex of a character he really is once you look past DMC3's presenation of "power hungry older corrupt sibling"

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Well
The dark and brooding "evil" brother always tends to get the oddly large fanclub. Just ask Sesshoumaru from Inuyasha; fans galore, and he was an antagonist for the longest time. It may also be a silver hair thing, since Sephroth of FF7 fame has a...enourmously large fanclub, and was such a one dimensional figure that he didn't honestly warrent it.

To be fair, the complexity of WHY Vergil hates humans when DEMONS killed his mother actually offers a lot to examine, it's just we don't get to see much of him in DMC3, and in DMC1...he's been brain raped by Mundus. That is my interest in him, to examine how complex of a character he really is once you look past DMC3's presenation of "power hungry older corrupt sibling"
Well, that still doesn't change the fact that he was never developed and still doesn't have much to vouch for himself to claim depth. It's not like villians like Mr. Freeze from Batman or Venom from Spider-Man who if you read comics have very in-depth backstories. Vergil seems like a villain who's slapped on for the sake of just being the villain. I use to watch Inuyasha a long time ago but even his brother had more development time (well as the series went on) and actually taking in a little girl spoke more about his character even if he didn't show it. It was kind of like having a silent protagonist like Samus in Metroid Prime who's minor actions spoke volumes of the kind of person she was. Get what I'm saying? It was actually pieced well into the narrative. Vergil, is just a dude we assume came out the womb plotting evil schemes and I'd rather not say that makes him cool because it really just makes it weak.

Zarathustra

The Forsaken Offspring of Heaven and Hell
Well
Well, that still doesn't change the fact that he was never developed and still doesn't have much to vouch for himself to claim depth. It's not like villians like Mr. Freeze from Batman or Venom from Spider-Man who if you read comics have very in-depth backstories. Vergil seems like a villain who's slapped on for the sake of just being the villain. I use to watch Inuyasha a long time ago but even his brother had more development time (well as the series went on) and actually taking in a little girl spoke more about his character even if he didn't show it. It was kind of like having a silent protagonist like Samus in Metroid Prime who's minor actions spoke volumes of the kind of person she was. Get what I'm saying? It was actually pieced well into the narrative. Vergil, is just a dude we assume came out the womb plotting evil schemes and I'd rather not say that makes him cool because it really just makes it weak.

And...the problem is...?

sylvanas

One Hell of a Member
why is vergil so popular u ask? because human nature in itself is sadistic. Take a look at vergil; he's very cold, evil, and yeah evil. (can't think up of words to describe him right now) We love to see people tortured, deny it all you want but it's true. We annoy and hurt people because we seek pleasure out of it. Vergil has a larger fanbase because of that. We love antagonists more because they pose as a challenge. This challenge tends to annoy the main character and we love seeing how they get through it.

DarkSlayer54

Vergil's just badass. You can teleport and use the Yamato. That's really it.

As far as his character goes... bah. There's not enough information to go on to understand Vergil. I say he's good at heart, while others say he's evil. There's just so much room for assumptions with his character.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
Vergil isn't so much straight evil, like Mundus or Sanctus, as he is power hungry and corrupted by his guilt of his mother death into seeking more and more power to equal his father, to the point he's forgotten WHY he wanted that power. he's a more tragic figure because of what drove his mind to that villain role.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
There are villians like The Joker who just do what they do for ****s and giggles but ultimately still have that passion to give a very terrifying realization that some people are really just evil. Vergil is just there. I just never liked him or thought he was cool. He just bored me. Plus, he wore a stupid outfit. Again, I'm not trying to rustle jimmies just my opinion.

DarkSlayer54

There are villians like The Joker who just do what they do for ****s and giggles but ultimately still have that passion to give a very terrifying realization that some people are really just evil. Vergil is just there. I just never liked him or thought he was cool. He just bored me. Plus, he wore a stupid outfit. Again, I'm not trying to rustle jimmies just my opinion.
And you found his gameplay boring too?

Zarathustra

The Forsaken Offspring of Heaven and Hell

Uh, sir. I'd like to point out that you're forgetting something about The Joker. Granted, yes, he did it all for ****s and giggles. But if you remember something specifically from Batman Beyond: Return of the Joker, it's also because he's a genius. He has the smarts equal, if not that, greater than Batman, to be able to pull off his ludicrous crimes in a snap, and give Batman a run for his money, not once, twice, or three times, but perhaps 10 or greater than that. He does that because he has the ability to do so, not just for fun.

As for Vergil? Yeah, there's not much backstory, but you know what? I can live with it. If I really have to give some kind of example to what kind of character he is, think of the relationship between Inuyasha and Sesshoumaru. They absolutely despise each other, but still have that plot twist where they help each other out when they have to. Dante and Vergil are no different, save for the universe and plot they take part in. Now yes, I would prefer to have more explained about Vergil's reasoning for doing what he does(other than gaining power), but again, I'm okay with it.

Vergil'sBitch

I am Nero's Mom & Obsessed fan girl
Premium
I love Vergil.
We'd all do something (no matter how bad) to protect the ones we love. And Vergil couldn't save his mom. I suppose in a way he blamed his human side (therefore humans are weak and yay for demons) and the fact that he was the eldest, also Sparda wasn't around.
Life made Dante and Vergil polar-opposites (possibly also the fact that they hated what each other had become)

I love Vergil for his sword skills.... his awesomeness and his eyes... *drools*...
He was honestly the reason why I bought DMC3 in the first place.

Dante Redgrave

Son of Sparda
While I am a Dante fan, vergil interests me, as I said, because of the complexity in his attitudes. Demon's killed his mother, whom he cherished so much, and yet he hates humanity for being "too weak to fight back", while Dante hated Sparda for not being there to save them. It's a psychological wonder that Vergil didn't self-destruct by the time of DMC3, and I'm looking forward to see how he plays out in DmC. the Classic Vergil and the NT!Vergil are not exactly the same character, after all.

YamatoWielder

Protector of Mankind
I'm a Vergil fan since the release of DMC3 for reasons like the blue color, his Darkslayer style, his Yamato, his summoned swords. Everything. And no wonder why he is such a power-hungry douche: he just want to be just like his father Sparda, and he is willing to kill everyone that stands in his way, even his own brother. So deep inside, it's really debatable if he's a good guy or a bad guy. But either way, I love Vergil since he's a badass of his own right.

And I agree with Dante Redgrave on Vergil wanting power. He's craving for it but for what reason? BTW...

Vergil: Give that to me,
Dante: No way. You got your own. (keeps his amulet)
Vergil: Then I'm getting yours, too.
Dante: What you'll gonna do with all that power, huh? No matter how hard you try, you'll never gonna be like father!
Vergil: You're wasting time!

*holding each other's swords*

Dante: We are the sons of Sparda! Within each of us shared his own blood. But more importantly, his SOUL! And my soul is calling me to stop you!
Vergil: (laughs) Our souls are at odds, brother. I need more power.
Dante: That's why we should be called twins.
Vergil: (prepares Force Edge) Twins... right.

Furthermore, I'm very excited to see DmC Vergil because it seems he's essential to Dante's character development. DmC Dante has nothing at all in his life. But when he met Vergil, everything changes. It's promising since we will see a Vergil which it has more depth and fleshed out as a character. We can see on how he can be considered a tragic figure in the new game.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I like Vergil.

I think the reason Vergil's only goal of gaining power sterns from his past. After Eva's death, Vergil felt weak. He felt he couldn't do anything to protect his mother or brother, and therefore didn't want to look back on it. So he used that sadness and turned it into wanting to never see such pain again. So he does what would have helped back then; power. He didn't care how much or what risk would be at stake, he just wanted it just so he wouldn't feel weak anymore. As he grew into what he was in DMC3, Vergil's lust for power grew greatly, and he was even willing to kill his own brother just to get it, telling that he wanted power so badly, that he'd kill the only family he's got to gain it. This wasn't something he probably didn't want to do, but he maybe also thought that after losing his mom, he got stronger; power through pain of loss. At the final battle, Vergil had Sparda's sword and the amulets, but it still wasn't enough for him. Unless he had that other amulet with him. It was at that ending that I noticed when Dante asked "What he was gonna do with all that power" Vergil got irritated and attacked Dante. There I thought that maybe Vergil didn't want power to save the world or destroy it. He just wanted power so that he doesn't feel like he's weak. Vergil is strong and the son of Sparda, but Vergil knew there were other stronger opponents out there, so he wanted more power then life itself so that he never falls to one knee. But Dante made him go on a knee.but he couldn't understand why Sparda was so strong and as such he was defeated by Dante because Dante figured out why Sparda was so strong.

Vergil to me, was the character who carried himself well and was sure of his decisions no matter what, but he also was misguided in his lust for power, which was his downfall.

I can't wait for DmC's Vergil and see what that one might do. Most likely he'll betray Dante, but I would like to see how and his motives for it.

DarkSlayer54

I like Vergil.

I think the reason Vergil's only goal of gaining power sterns from his past. After Eva's death, Vergil felt weak. He felt he couldn't do anything to protect his mother or brother, and therefore didn't want to look back on it. So he used that sadness and turned it into wanting to never see such pain again. So he does what would have helped back then; power. He didn't care how much or what risk would be at stake, he just wanted it just so he wouldn't feel weak anymore. As he grew into what he was in DMC3, Vergil's lust for power grew greatly, and he was even willing to kill his own brother just to get it, telling that he wanted power so badly, that he'd kill the only family he's got to gain it. This wasn't something he probably didn't want to do, but he maybe also thought that after losing his mom, he got stronger; power through pain of loss. At the final battle, Vergil had Sparda's sword and the amulets, but it still wasn't enough for him. Unless he had that other amulet with him. It was at that ending that I noticed when Dante asked "What he was gonna do with all that power" Vergil got irritated and attacked Dante. There I thought that maybe Vergil didn't want power to save the world or destroy it. He just wanted power so that he doesn't feel like he's weak. Vergil is strong and the son of Sparda, but Vergil knew there were other stronger opponents out there, so he wanted more power then life itself so that he never falls to one knee. But Dante made him go on a knee.but he couldn't understand why Sparda was so strong and as such he was defeated by Dante because Dante figured out why Sparda was so strong.

Vergil to me, was the character who carried himself well and was sure of his decisions no matter what, but he also was misguided in his lust for power, which was his downfall.

I can't wait for DmC's Vergil and see what that one might do. Most likely he'll betray Dante, but I would like to see how and his motives for it.
I completely disagree about him killing Dante. It was never an option for Vergil to make.

meg5493

Praise the Sun!
I'd take it a step further and say that he wanted to use the power to help Dante and humanity overall... but that's just me.
i don't think to help humanity thats a bit of a stretch but mainly to have the power he's always wanted i mean he seemed perfectly okay with keeping a portal to the demon world open :/

Top Bottom