• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Serious Question

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
if that is true then that would mean that Donte would have had to name all the weapons, and I HIGHLY doubt that Donte has the patience to read the bible, history books and books on Greek mythology, or the intelegence and memory to make the connection between the weapon and the source of the said name. Kablooey now that is a name I can believe Donte came up with
You're right, Dante didn't come up with names for the weapons; the game developers did:troll:

The only weapon we know for sure how it got its name is rebellion. In the comic Sparda speaks to Dante telepathically and gives him the sword and its name.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
if that is true then that would mean that Donte would have had to name all the weapons, and I HIGHLY doubt that Donte has the patience to read the bible, history books and books on Greek mythology, or the intelegence and memory to make the connection between the weapon and the source of the said name. Kablooey now that is a name I can believe Donte came up with

Having the potential "blueprints" of a weapon inside Rebellion would mean it would probably come with name. Or perhaps he just magically knows the name now that he has the weapon.

Or the more logical explanation that the weapon names are for our sake, as a player, and have little to actually do with the story, and therefore their names have little bearing on the elements they took their name from, biblical or otherwise. Contrary to popular belief, nearly all weapons don't have names beyond what kind they are. At least in the real world :p

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Well, Sparda (sword) wasn't made out of Sparda's (demon) soul, neither is it alive, like Agni And Rudra for example
Oh yeah, that's right. I dunno, I'm just going on the basics of dmc whatnot with defeated demons and such turning into devil arms.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
I like that the weapons are named, it gives them personality, essentially making them a character in their own right.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
How's that?

Well, let's welcome the newcomer character of Saint's Row 3 - THE PENETRATOR
(I'm not sure if it's allowed to post this kind of suggestive pics here, so here is a link http://www.playerattack.com/imagery/SaintsRow3-ThePenetrator.jpg)
Poor choice of example there as it is Saints Row, a game which seldom takes itself seriously. Take Skyrim for example, you will find countless hundreds of swords, axes, etc, none of which ever serve any purpose other than smashing Bandits to pulp for a couple levels. Then you happen upon a sword or an axe, one with it's own name, which instantly demands attention and almost gives it a bit of a mysterious history. (Why is it called this? Where did it come from? Who was the first to wield it?)

Gives it a bit of character is all.

Martius

SSSmokin!
I'm... not comparing it to anything, all I'm saying is that I like that the weapons are named, regardless of why or how.
Its is nothing special. In most games, books, movies or anything weapons or important items are named after something or someone.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
So...because you don't find a concept of important things being named interesting, then no one else should think it's interesting either?

You literally just popped in here to respond to his "I like it when they name things" with "Eh, it's not that special."

No one cares.

Ruisu

Of course you don't remember me.
Soooo...
About the topic itself, I think that maybe humans don't go anywere when they die. It doesn't seem like Heaven and Hell have a "afterlife" purpose, and are more like just parallels to the human realm.

But then again, since explaining how the "universe" of the series work was never the focus of any DMC game, it's hard to say for sure.
Humans do have souls in DmC though, but they are only there in the plot to give a motivation for Mundus rule.

Angels and Demons don't die the same way as humans, at least, Nephilim don't (as we saw with Vergil). BUT, that could be related to the amulet from Eva, and not really from being a Nephilim.
But then AGAIN, Eva was there in that same "dimension", and had appeared to both Dante and Vergil. Who knows.

About the weapons, it's more logical to believe you don't really get them from your enemy's "soul" in DmC like you did in DMC3. Barbas and Poison could very well just hold on to those devil arms, just like the pictures of Sparda and Eva were holding to Arbiter and Osiris.
I won't really consider the comic here because it obviously wasn't made in synch with the writers from the game.

BUT, like I said before, the Devil May Cry franchise was never known from universe/background consistency, so all we can do is speculate.

Teimurazor

Peregrine Falcon
Poor choice of example there as it is Saints Row, a game which seldom takes itself seriously. Take Skyrim for example, you will find countless hundreds of swords, axes, etc, none of which ever serve any purpose other than smashing Bandits to pulp for a couple levels. Then you happen upon a sword or an axe, one with it's own name, which instantly demands attention and almost gives it a bit of a mysterious history. (Why is it called this? Where did it come from? Who was the first to wield it?)

Gives it a bit of character is all.
I know man, I'm just kidding.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
If Demons and Angels can exist on earth...Where do you go when you die?

Dieing doesn't seem so bad because if you've been good you can just come back down to heaven and carry on with your business just don't hurt your head, it's a long way down

Been bad? Just crawl your way up from hell and take a shower, dirt isn't nice.
That's if you're not caught up in BDSM on the way....

I bet the horns are just part of the costume he bought when he was in hell.

i think its different. if we have three dimensions ontop of one another ie hell, heaven and earth then it appears the whole concept of hell and heaven was misinterpretted from people interacting with these realms. the two dimensions arent heaven and hell theyre are just the original basis of them. when a person dies they may be reincarnated, end up in a completely different and very real hell or just cease to be.

Top Bottom