• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sequel already in work?

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
in the Call of Duty defense they are still making dosh either way
But what about DC and Marvel? What about Square Enix and Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest? What about Nintendo and Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi? What about Capcom and Street Fighter? What about Santa Monica and God of War? What about James Bond? EA and Battlefield? What about them?

Nerofanheart

But what about DC and Marvel? What about Square Enix and Final Fantasy or Dragon Quest? What about Nintendo and Mario, Zelda, Metroid, Star Fox, Kirby, Donkey Kong, and Yoshi? What about Capcom and Street Fighter? What about Santa Monica and God of War? What about James Bond? EA and Battlefield? What about them?
i dont remember god of war having reboots , but anyway this isnt the point , the guy said he didnt want to see the franchise milked any further thats why he supported DmC in wich i kindly had to disagree because in my point of view they were still milking it

Shin Muramasa

Metallic Stranger
i dont remember god of war having reboots , but anyway this isnt the point , the guy said he didnt want to see the franchise milked any further thats why he supported DmC in wich i kindly had to disagree because in my point of view they were still milking it
I know God of War never had any reboots nor do some of the others I mentioned. I'm talking about milking. Where does it start and when is it considered milking? Some developers put out many but great titles. Others put out decent but many titles. Some put out few, but great titles. And others do the opposite.

The original DMC series only had 4 titles, not counting the the iPhone game. 1 was the start, it was good. 2 tried to capitalize the success of 1, failed, but sold well. 3 was an attempt at regaining its reputation, it was a success. 4 did the same as 2, capitalize on the success of 3. It did well, but at the same time, confused the fanbase. DmC then enters as a reboot/alternate universe story. It tried to fix what the original had issues with. In a sense, it's the first game of its series, but the fifth of the franchise. So what will happen? DmC2 to capitalize the success of DmC1 or a sequel to DMC4 (numerically)?

Call of Duty on the other hand, with each installment is basically the same game with a different story, which doesn't matter since the franchise is played for multiplayer. The Battlefield franchise tries some different things with each installment, but essentially is trying to get a bite out of COD's success.

The downside of thinking things in a twisted view is that every product is a milked product. No matter how great the success or failure. No matter how beneficial it is to society or to its detriment. No matter how many continuations to the product, it's all being milked. After all, how do you survive in a harsh world like this? Money makes the world go 'round, boys. Best start taking as much as you can.

That's the pessimist's way of view the world. An optimist would see other wise. And a realist would see otherwise too.

He didn't want to see DMC5 failing and capitalizing on the hatred and desire for DMC5. He wanted to see the DmC series continue to its fullest. DMC5 should be made only because it is an actual entry to the DMC series, not something made to get a quick buck. It shouldn't be, "Hey look, it's (DMC) Dante and he's killing demons. Look, there's styles, distortions, etc." It should be DMC5 with new and improved mechanics, a legitimate story, better, aggressive AI, etc.

Nerofanheart

I know God of War never had any reboots nor do some of the others I mentioned. I'm talking about milking. Where does it start and when is it considered milking? Some developers put out many but great titles. Others put out decent but many titles. Some put out few, but great titles. And others do the opposite.

The original DMC series only had 4 titles, not counting the the iPhone game. 1 was the start, it was good. 2 tried to capitalize the success of 1, failed, but sold well. 3 was an attempt at regaining its reputation, it was a success. 4 did the same as 2, capitalize on the success of 3. It did well, but at the same time, confused the fanbase. DmC then enters as a reboot/alternate universe story. It tried to fix what the original had issues with. In a sense, it's the first game of its series, but the fifth of the franchise. So what will happen? DmC2 to capitalize the success of DmC1 or a sequel to DMC4 (numerically)?

Call of Duty on the other hand, with each installment is basically the same game with a different story, which doesn't matter since the franchise is played for multiplayer. The Battlefield franchise tries some different things with each installment, but essentially is trying to get a bite out of COD's success.

The downside of thinking things in a twisted view is that every product is a milked product. No matter how great the success or failure. No matter how beneficial it is to society or to its detriment. No matter how many continuations to the product, it's all being milked. After all, how do you survive in a harsh world like this? Money makes the world go 'round, boys. Best start taking as much as you can.

That's the pessimist's way of view the world. An optimist would see other wise. And a realist would see otherwise too.

He didn't want to see DMC5 failing and capitalizing on the hatred and desire for DMC5. He wanted to see the DmC series continue to its fullest. DMC5 should be made only because it is an actual entry to the DMC series, not something made to get a quick buck. It shouldn't be, "Hey look, it's (DMC) Dante and he's killing demons. Look, there's styles, distortions, etc." It should be DMC5 with new and improved mechanics, a legitimate story, better, aggressive AI, etc.

i think the point was wether they were squeezing the titties of the title of the franchise with this reboot or not

Ether0

Nephilim Lover
i think the point was wether they were squeezing the titties of the title of the franchise with this reboot or not
There is a slight difference between continuing a series and milking it. An example of a series being milked would be the ff13 series. i actually like the series but even I can see that it only exist as a way to make money on it's niche fanbase and try to make some money on the huge investment Square Enix put into the whole fabula nova crystallos thing.

I suppose you could say DmC is milking the series but I would disagree, DMC4 was a real milker as it was obviously poorly made in a lot of areas and was rushed for the simple purpose of capitalizing on DMC3's popularity which in terms of sales did not do super great. In a different world, if DMC4 had been well received, DMC5 would likely have been another milk job(this is Capcom we are dealing with and milking stuff is their MO) Capcom would see that fans had accepted what they did and would have eventually become like Assassin's Creed, basically the same game each time with a slightly different coat of paint and also run the risk of alienating even more fans and eventually becoming irrelevant.

In my opinion, DmC is more than different enough to avoid leaching off the established franchise while still being familiar enough to not totally freak out fans. For a long time I have just looked at this in the same way I look at amazing spiderman and ultimate spiderman, similar but in a lot of way vastly different yet still familiar, it's own separate thing. I think that if they had announced DMC5 a few years back I would not have payed it much attention as I was done with DMC after the fourth game. This reboot made me pay attention to DMC as a series again and not just the reboot, now i'm reinvested into what happens with any incarnation of Dante. So even if this does seem like milking to you, is that such a bad thing if it helps save a series from encroaching mediocrity? If it makes many who were done with it turn and look and still wonder what is to come? Whether you like it is a different story but all in all I think it was a gutsy move from Capcom that I respect and applaud and that is something I usually never say about Capcom.

Mystiq Doom

its still called devil may cry saying its a reboot doesnt change the fact that they are still milking the DMC franchise , thats why i said they could call it heavenly sword 2 change the name of the characters and no one would even think this is a reboot of the well known world wide super famous DMC franchise

What? That makes absolutely no sense. They wouldn't have MADE the game specifically the way it is now if Capcom didn't want to DO a DMC reboot. The features that is has are in the game BECAUSE it's Devil May Cry not vice versa. if NT started this game and wanted to call it something else, they wouldn't have bothered to make this game in the first place.

Also, rebooting is really the opposite of milking since it's giving something a fresh, usually (especially in this case) risky way.

You're just...wrong. Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Top Bottom