• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sci-fi or Fantasy?

Sci-fi or Fantasy?

• Sci-fi

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Fantasy

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Back as promised to get to the "why" part. Let's talk about Science Fiction

Originally Quoted by Wikipedia: Science fiction is a genre of fiction dealing with imaginary but more or less plausible (or at least non-supernatural) content such as future settings, futuristic science and technology, space travel, aliens, and paranormal abilities

Ok let's see. I love the impossible stuff. The need to be plausible thing works fine for me in regards of the mystery genre and a few others, but other than, it's not exactly necessary for me. The future. Well, I love the past way more than the future. I've noticed it in many shows like Doctor Who. Any future episode with super robots, cities than don't require people working, amazing machines and all that, just aren't my cup of tea. I like parallel universes, or different planets where the people there might be less advanced in some things than we are, but also have some everyday stuff in their lives that we could never think of. It's balanced, easier to accept and easier to adapt. As for aliens. Somehow the word turns me off as well. I have no problem with monsters, devils, strange final fantasy animals, and what not, but when the explanation in a movie is aliens, I usually want to hit my head in the wall. As for space travel? Infinitely boring. Space is a huge black thing that has no beginning or end. Even thought that means infinite possibilities, it also means that most of the time, the heroes are stuck into their futuristic spaceship staring at the black void. Well, no. I'm being incredibly subjective here, meaning that this is how I feel about the whole thing.

There are things I like, like Time-travels and parallel worlds, buuuut..those can exist perfectly fine in a fantasy setting as well. Along with you know, Dragons, Magic, strange powers, not to mention that many fantasy settings are in an age like the past with the best means of traveling being horses and ships - which I prefer (reading about, I'm super lazy and would prefer something like the T.A.R.D.I.S. instead of a horse any time of the day) seeing as I criticised the future setting that seem really popular in Science Fiction stories.

So yeah, it's really EASIER for me to get into fantasy stuff. There are a few science fictions I totally would like but certainly not for the setting. While as many said here Fantasy also has way more possibilities, since it doesn't have the "more or less plausible or at least non-supernatural content" limitation that Science Fiction has.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Oh, I'd only go in fantasy if the dragons were not inherently evil, because seriously that's a stereotype that needs to be expunged. >_> Or at least not so overused as to be a stereotype.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
Oh, I'd only go in fantasy if the dragons were not inherently evil, because seriously that's a stereotype that needs to be expunged. >_> Or at least not so overused as to be a stereotype.

The best Dragons are in Dungeons & Dragons stories like Dragonlance. There are good Dragons like there are evil Dragons. Just like humans.

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
The best Dragons are in Dungeons & Dragons stories like Dragonlance. There are good Dragons like there are evil Dragons. Just like humans.

I readed them mostly on my gymnasium/2 class of high school, from third I maded loyal only to dark fantasy and SF subgenre.

Tony_Redgrave

TimeLord Detective
I guess it's the concept, that the good demons-dragons-monsters do not do anything, therefore they are not remembered, while the evil ones wreak havoc so they stay in history.

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
yeah theres evil and good in everything......even in primitive creatures because of alternate dimensions like the mirror universe

ZeroLove

World of Warcraft is a good example on a fantasy world having both good and evil dragons.
Alexstrasza, the queen of dragons and the aspect of life, is one sexy dragon. (humanoid form, of course. ;P)

Alexstrasza_the_Life-Binder.jpg

Laurence Barnes

Premium
World of Warcraft is a good example on a fantasy world having both good and evil dragons.
Alexstrasza, the queen of dragons and the aspect of life, is one sexy dragon. (humanoid form, of course. ;P)

Alexstrasza_the_Life-Binder.jpg
then she meets onaga the dragon king from mortal kombat great match i say
cutout.png
O_Rei_Drag%C3%A3o.png
OnagaMKD.jpg
Onaga02.png

ZeroLove

Onaga is cool too, I like Mortal Kombat's raw and gory fantasy theme. But Onaga is evil and I was trying to make a point that there are good dragons in some fantasy worlds too. :p

Bah, human forms are boring! XD

She also has an all dragon form, but I don't really find that hot. XD
If there was a mid-between form, like a furry (is it called furry when it is a creature with scales?)

Laurence Barnes

Premium
Onaga is cool too, I like Mortal Kombat's raw and gory fantasy theme. But Onaga is evil and I was trying to make a point that there are good dragons in some fantasy worlds too. :p
aaah good point but still dragon queen and dragon king :D

V

Oldschool DMC fan
So far fantasy is kicking sci-fi's ass. :D Same on other forums where I asked the same question too.

Laurence Barnes

Premium
I also mixed Fantasy with SF in my whole original project. It will have Fanfiction substories but main is original.
my idea i made about....7 years ago was a universe thats connected to many other universes and these universes are like say the final fantasy universe or the metroid universe and so on all connected to the centeruniverse which allows travel to each universe every universe is basically a normal type universe like ours or a universe based on a film or a game and even anime (but its in another dimension) i even created the lego universe.......but as soon as you enter your transformed into a lego version of yourself until you exit

ZeroLove

Cyber-punk Fantasy is an awesome combination of both worlds. Have elves, dwarves, monsters and demons along with some magic in a new modern/futuristic world. Final Fantasy 13 is a good example of such.

Laurence Barnes

Premium
Cyber-punk Fantasy is an awesome combination of both worlds. Have elves, dwarves, monsters and demons along with some magic in a new modern/futuristic world. Final Fantasy 13 is a good example of such.
or mine as i call it:................THE ALPHAVERSE!!!!! :cool: yup its going all the way and will soon be into a game aaaaaaaaw yeah!!!!

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium

Mine story is going in this theme. An interdimensional Empire armed with magic and technology who is controling many alternate worlds in first book will be trembled by war as ruling house have no descendants and everythere risen succesors to Emperor's throne, making total war, even an dark force was rising behind in the Worlds.

Top Bottom