• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Sci-fi or Fantasy?

Sci-fi or Fantasy?

• Sci-fi

Votes: 3 16.7%
  • Fantasy

Votes: 15 83.3%

• Total voters

Meg

They already do. Anyone who gets genetic screening for a disease is using genetic technology as help, gene therapy is being used to treat diseases like cystic fibrosis to enhance quality of life. Stem cell research as well.

People react with horror to genetic enhancement but we've been doing it for thousands of years. Look at toy breeds of dog, or apple trees or wheat. All of them have been changed from the original and shaped by us to suit our purposes, and nobody seems horrified by that because it was done with breeding rather than a cell needle.
That's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about human enhancements that aren't needed. Plastic surgery is an already (stupid) existing type. If things ever get to Deus Ex levels then I'm gonna have a serious problem.

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
That's not what I'm referring to. I'm talking about human enhancements that aren't needed. Plastic surgery is an already (stupid) existing type. If things ever get to Deus Ex levels then I'm gonna have a serious problem.
you wont like the alphaverse then enhancements are done to increase intelligence eye sight almost anything many organic and cybernetic enhancements are made for emperiments and to make peoples lives better and some enhancements arnt very neccesary

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Plastic surgery has a very valid place in modern medicine - but that's for another discussion, I would say.

Meg

Plastic surgery has a very valid place in modern medicine - but that's for another discussion, I would say.
If it can improve a person's life then that's great. But if you're a C cup and want DDs then you need to get slapped.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
If it can improve a person's life then that's great. But if you're a C cup and want DDs then you need to get slapped.
Ridiculously oversized breasts can improve someone's life. There are many careers where sex appeal plays an important role (and it can help someone get a job even when it shouldn't) and most guys like big breasts ( I don't really understand the appeal but that isn't really the point) a pair of breast implants can be the difference between a minimum wage job and a career that pays millions (it really shouldn't be but that doesn't change the way things are)

There are far more things that make life easier than you think there are.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Oversized breasts also lead to serious health problems - not least for your spine with the extra weight.

Meg

Ridiculously oversized breasts can improve someone's life. There are many careers where sex appeal plays an important role (and it can help someone get a job even when it shouldn't) and most guys like big breasts ( I don't really understand the appeal but that isn't really the point) a pair of breast implants can be the difference between a minimum wage job and a career that pays millions (it really shouldn't be but that doesn't change the way things are)

There are far more things that make life easier than you think there are.
Well then how about we try to change the way sex appeal plays into a person's chance at a career?

And that was just one example. Anyone that gets any kind of plastic surgery for the sole reason of improving their already fine appearance is stupid. (This of course does not apply to people that have some sort of deformity from birth or injury.)

EDIT: But this is off topic. PM me if you want to continue. Or make a new thread. :)

Pale Rider

Wickedly good
Fantasy, because you won't meet the sons of Sparda in a Sci-fi world. Oh wait, Dante wields guns too! Bahhh..Also I'm fascinated by the extents you can reach in a fantasy world, say like teleportation. But then again, the Fallen (Transformers 2) was able to teleport too! Damn.. my mind's playing tricks on me. One moment, I want a fantasy world, and next moment I'm imagining a swarm of cyborgs awaitin' my orders.

Lexy,tbh, I find it difficult to choose one world over the other. I swing between the two and can't just choose one. :-/

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I was gonna pick Sci-fi until you said "genetic enhancements." No. Just no.

Well. I classified whole Devil May Cry series to Dark Fantasy genre as it accomplish this genre of Fantasy easilly.
Also In your post is missing point as Cyberpunk not comes in biomodification themes, its is for Biopunk, my fav subgenre of SF is about cyborgs, cyber-mods, conspirations and sentient AIs. I think whole world is going into this scheme, as we all seeing massive censorship of things what corporations or goverments want hide, they hide but always will be peole who will try to show their misuse of power.

Laurence Barnes

Premium
Fantasy, because you won't meet the sons of Sparda in a Sci-fi world. Oh wait, Dante wields guns too! Bahhh..Also I'm fascinated by the extents you can reach in a fantasy world, say like teleportation. But then again, the Fallen (Transformers 2) was able to teleport too! Damn.. my mind's playing tricks on me. One moment, I want a fantasy world, and next moment I'm imagining a swarm of cyborgs awaitin' my orders.

Lexy,tbh, I find it difficult to choose one world over the other. I swing between the two and can't just choose one. :-/
you might consider my type if you look at one of my other posts its a mix of everything

Ebony

Dante enthusiast!
Premium
I saw the title of this and thought hmmmmmm, then before clicking my choice I thought 'this is actually really hard to choose!'

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami

Not all Fantasy worlds are based on the middle ages. There is a subgenre called urban fantasy that is based on the idea of fantasy concepts existing in the modern world. (DMC probably counts as urban fantasy)

Laurence Barnes

Premium
i vote fantasy because its easier to emerse yourself in the story and relate to the characters.
not entirely i for one find it easier to understand stories and characters in a sci-fi as to me all the mind control spells and other things get me confused XD not against your point just saying that its not always easier than sci-fi

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
I chose fantasy because I have this thing for swords, honour, evil magical critters and fantastical kingdoms. Albeit I do like to read Anne McAffrey (R.I.P.) and Anthony Eaton's works which are more sci-fi based. And I had some sci-fi stuff in my first fantasy novel. Like, how my MC found a pair of sneakers and enhanced them Wizard of Oz style and with a tap-tap-tap the shoes leak out a silver liquid which becomes a hoverboard in like two seconds and whoohaa we're zooming through the thick forest trying to escape the nude, genderless little children with black eyes who run on all fours and leap from tree to tree at superspeed like frogs.
Creeeeeepyyyyyy.
Huuuugh.

Anyway. Point being, in fantasy I don't have to stick to what is and isn't possible or reasonable or explainable. I can just explain it away with the mystical thing called magic. How does a hoverboard work? It runs on magic. How do they find a way from one dimension to the next? They go through natural vortexes and get there in one piece because, yet again, magic protects them. BOOJA!

Top Bottom