• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Resident Evil 5 Sells 7 Million Copies

berto

I Saw the Devil
Why? Out of all of the RE games 5 is my least favorite, I don't get the popularity of it. I liked 6 well enough but it was so poorly received that I figured it got it's initial sells and that would be it. Why is that one still selling? I don't get it.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
5 was okay, I can see it's wide appeal. Surprised it's still selling though.

Zero was my favourite all the way. Least favourite was 6.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
Why? Out of all of the RE games 5 is my least favorite, I don't get the popularity of it. I liked 6 well enough but it was so poorly received that I figured it got it's initial sells and that would be it. Why is that one still selling? I don't get it.
well it's really fun as a Co-op game

i think the thing that making it sell is that it's on PS3, 360 and steam
and everyone wants to play with there friends so they all buy it to play online

as much as i loved split screen back in the day it's far more conveniet to just play online

Last edited:

lorddemolatron

I think im sort of dimensional traveller lol
Premium
I think thats RE 5 was released again on Steam with that RE 5 Gold addons as Steam DLC , well for me i played original one on PC and liked it slightly.

Goldsickle

Why is that one still selling? I don't get it.
Digital downloads increases availability.
People no longer have to worry about physical copies running out or their favorite stores not stocking up on the games they want.

Veteran gamers look down on digital downloads but it's actually growing bigger over the years.

i think the thing that making it sell is that it's on PS3, 360 and steam
I think thats RE 5 was released again on Steam with that RE 5 Gold addons as Steam DLC , well for me i played original one on PC and liked it slightly.
The 7 million copies total is only for the PS3 & 360 versions (including digital downloads from these consoles' respective online services), not counting the PC release.

Director Bison

King of Games
Premium Elite
Premium
The 7 million copies total is only for the PS3 & 360 versions (including digital downloads from these consoles' respective online services), not counting the PC release.
are you sure because it says on the page it looks like this

Resident Evil 5 - PS3, Xbox 360, DL

and at the bottom of the page it says

DL: (Full-game download) includes PlayStation®Network, Xbox Live, Wii Ware and all digital download units
on Wii U, Nintendo 3DS and PC etc.

that sounds like they count Steam
or are you saying unless they put PC then the DL only counts for Xbox and PS3

Goldsickle

or are you saying unless they put PC
Yes, pretty much.

If you check other games on the list (click on "ALL"), you can see other games where the page specifies if the sales total includes a PC version.

"DL" is referring to the console's respective online service, such as XBL & PSN, in this case.

Sales are only counted together if the platforms are all released simultaneously (like how RE:Revelations 2's total sales comes from 5 different platforms due to simultaneous release).
The PC versions of RE5 & RE6 are released about 6 months later, so the sales of the PC versions aren't counted together with the consoles, due to not being within the same stock.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
Good to see my favorite out of the modern Resident Evils is still selling. My favorite one period still is and will always continue to be REmake (a game with an ambience and brilliance that I don't think Capcom is capable of ever recapturing), but in terms of the recent numbered entries, I love the sh!t out of polished, arcadey nature of 5.

RE5
was more consistent in its tone and style than the random "first half = survival horror, second half = 80's action cheese" bullcrap in RE4, and it wasn't a half-baked, buggy, poorly-designed and misguided mess that RE6 was.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Well nice, I guess. In the end it only means that RE7 will be garbage movie adaptation catering to infantile CoD fans. So yay.

WolfOD64

Absolutely loved 5. However, going from 5 to 6 was quite a disappointment. I'm more surprised that 6 has sold that well.
RE6 did not "sell well." That game had the largest development team and budget of any game in Capcom's history, and not only will it never pay for itself in the long run, but it will doubly-fail by never surpassing the sales of its predecessor.

That's probably why Capcom has stuck to low-budget endeavors like the Revelations games, remaking older ones, and budget titles like Umbrella Corps. They literally can't afford to catastrophically mismanage another overproduced title like RE6.

Goldsickle

RE6 did not "sell well." That game had the largest development team and budget of any game in Capcom's history, and not only will it never pay for itself in the long run, but it will doubly-fail by never surpassing the sales of its predecessor.
I'm interested in seeing your sources, like where does it actually reveal RE6's budget and marketing costs, as well as the profit they earned from the sales.

Otherwise, you're just assuming that they didn't break even when it's never made official.

WolfOD64

I'm interested in seeing your sources, like where does it actually reveal RE6's budget and marketing costs, as well as the profit they earned from the sales.

Otherwise, you're just assuming that they didn't break even when it's never made official.
I don't have the exact source on hand, but I remember hearing that the cost of RE6 was equivalent or a little less than what it took Square Enix to make the new Tomb Raider. And if that's correct, that means the budget was something around $100 million...which isn't hard to believe, given the fact that it had a development team of over 600 people, the largest in Capcom history.

I know it may seem hard to believe, given how unpolished it may seem in comparison to something like RE5...but that's not because it cost less to make. It's because the game was rushed.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
There is something really wrong with that math. RE6 sold initially 4.5 Millions. and 5 millions by the end of the release year. Meaning before price drop it sold at least 4 millions. And that would have made at least 180 mil. Meaning its no way its possible for it not to break even, even IF it costed 100 mil. And even with all that its still second best sold capcom game. SO I hope everyone prepared for RE7 being even crappier game than RE6, since capcom knows, it fans gobble up anything and ask for more.

Goldsickle

that means the budget was something around $100 million...
"Something I heard" is not a really valid source.
Is it something actually mentioned in a news site or something you heard other people say in a forum?

given the fact that it had a development team of over 600 people, the largest in Capcom history.
Ah yes, the "600 staff" thingy. I knew this will turn up.

Just like how you don't know the game's exact budget, you don't know how much of the "600 staff" are actually working directly on the game or are outsourced from other companies.

A lot of people like to just read the headlines and never the actual article.
The same news where the "600 staff" came from, Kobayashi specified "150 from Japan".

Capcom outsourced stuff like motion capture and orchestra composition to overseas companies, so that's probably where a portion of the remaining 450 staff are.
In cases like these, Capcom would most likely only pay service fees and not actually pay the wages of every people involved.

Unless you know how wages in Capcom works or know exactly what the "600 staff" actually do, I'd recommend not to take it too literally.

Ultimately, none of these data ("600 staff", etc.) are anywhere near in giving a tangible conclusion on RE6's budget.

Even so-called "video game budget" lists you find online are simply estimates from analysts (because companies never publicly release their actual budget), so it's not convincing that one can accurately tell a game's budgets based on some vague hints.

aoshi

Loved RE 5. One of my all time favs of PS3/XBOX 360 generation. Everytime i hear news like this, it makes me wonder why the classic fans despise RE 4 and onwards games.

Innsmouth

Sleeping DMC Fan
Supporter 2014
Loved RE 5. One of my all time favs of PS3/XBOX 360 generation. Everytime i hear news like this, it makes me wonder why the classic fans despise RE 4 and onwards games.
not all classic fans despise RE4. Personally I like RE4 and original series. I also like RE5, though to lesser degree than 4. But RE6 was abysmal, and so was Rev2

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Everytime i hear news like this, it makes me wonder why the classic fans despise RE 4 and onwards games.
I don't hate RE4-6, they're decent games in their own right. It's that they just don't feel like a Resident Evil game anymore.
The fact that the producer of Revelations called the survival horror genre too niche for Resident Evil just says it all.

Top Bottom