• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

RE Engine and the faces of our Ladies.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
So yeah like most people, I was a bit put off by the faces of our favorite gals in DMC5.
trish-devil-may-cry-blonde-face-portrait-green-eyes-27785-resized.jpeg
2019.01.02-08.45-boundingintocomics-5c2d22dfc2170.png

Especially Nico and that cringy smile.
images

From the trailers, the faces of our ladies just look wrong compared how well they looked in previous games and this is obviously due to Capcom's new way of face scanning in models dressed as the characters into the RE Engine.

But for this I also wanna bring up Claire Redfield in Resident Evil 2 Remake.
Resident-Evil-2-Remake-OTS.jpg

When I saw Claire in the trailers I also thought she looked wrong, I wasn't sold on her appearance at all, but after I played the game and saw her from all different angles the game offered, her new look really grew on me to the point where I now really really like her face and even ended up having the hots for her :inlove:.

So while I understand the people having trouble with how the faces look for our DMC gals, I really think that after we see more of them in the actual game, their looks may end up looking pretty good.

Anyone else feel this way?

AgentRedgrave

Legendary Devil Hunter
I honestly never had a problem with any of the characters faces. I think everyone looks more realistic, yet still recognizable. Imho, they've never looked better.

Sean Gow

I get what you’re saying.

I’ll be honest when I first saw Trish I was a bit like ‘’ but I think that was just a bad/unflattering shot of her for a split second. Because in the same scene I actually thought Lady looked amazing

I do think it will be a case of the fact that we’ve hardly seen anything of them.

We’ve seen a lot of the blokes but hardly much of the birds. I think they look good. I kinda like the aged look of Trish. It would have been strange to have aged Dante but not Trish, since she was the first person we ever saw him interact with.

Now I know Mundus Created her but it’s never been stated that she’s a full demon.
How do we not know that Mundus used Eva’s blood to create her?

Anyway I’m getting off topic haha

I think we’ll all feel a lot better about how they look when we finally see them in action and stuff. I do think that all goes back to the uncanny valley. We always thought they looked good in the old games because they were just video game characters and they were being created from scratch.

But hear are real human beings faces we’re dealing with now. Also if you think back, the way everyone was like ‘WTF’ over the new Dante’s face.. saying he looked old and stuff. Now that we’ve seen more of him, hardly any of us still think he looks that old.

And funnily enough, when I think about Dante now. This new face is the face I see. I don’t know why, it just makes the most sense to me now.
I think it’s because of that human element of it. I guess I can instantly relate more to a character who looks real, rather than a cartoonish looking character.

Aside from the fact that he looks cool as f*ck, obviously! Hahaha

But out of the girls, I think the models they’ve chosen are gorgeous. Proper distinctive faces and unique. The one they found for Lady, I literally don’t think they could have found another human being with a face that encapsulates her DMC3 design if they tried. I hated Lady’s face in DMC4. I felt they took away everything that made her so intriguing to look at. They ruined her nose and her chin, but this new model seems to have that same kinda button nose like she did so I’m all up for it

I’m rambling now, but I definitely think it will be a repeat of what happened with Dante.

Once we see more of them I think we wil come to see them as the characters we all know and love.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The issue wasn't the faces. Trish's face looked really bad to me, specially considering how pretty the model is, and Dante, with that just brutally handsome model for his scans and somehow still looking 10 to 20 years older than he actually is. After a few I realized that it's not the faces that are wrong, it's the hair. Trish's hair is just a mass of hair that is flat and volumeless and it makes it look weird and almost like it's wet and it's doing a weird thing to the rest of her face.

I posted this in the general DMC5 thread but look at the difference adding a different hair style does for her, specially the wavy one. She just looks better, her face looks better.

Trish-Hair.jpg

Same thing with Dante's face:
https://devilmaycry.org/forums/threads/general-dmc5-discussion.22859/page-28#post-671319

As for Lady, I don't think she's odd looking but rather she just doesn't look the same. The shape of the jaw and nose, the length of each feature from each other, they are just different enough to be noticeable, plus her body type and overall silhouette just don't match (actually, the same is true of Trish).
Lady-Face.png

Last edited:

D.Dark

Considering the fact that RE2 remake is now being modded, I am sure someone will bring both the ladies back to their prior hotness.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Rubbery faces from the same engine as RE2 eh. I don't mind this tbh. Turned out considerably less rough than the DMC dudes.

Meg

I think the only character who looks good in DMC5 is Nero. I do not like the way Dante looks at all and Trish is pretty terrible as well, especially her hair. (Lady looks okay but not great.) Capcom's been weird with character faces lately. Chris in RE7 doesn't really look like Chris. But the characters in RE2 look fine. Very inconsistent. :thumbsdown:

Goldsickle

Capcom just has a hard-on for realistic character appearance these days.

I prefer "JRPG" characters, like FFXV.
They look stylized but detailed.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Capcom just has a hard-on for realistic character appearance these days.

I prefer "JRPG" characters, like FFXV.
They look stylized but detailed.
I think I prefer a balanced approach. Stylised but realistic might be a bit paradoxical but I’ve seen it pulled off well.

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
A little late but I thought I'd throw in my 2 cents.

To me, Lady looks fine in motion thanks to her actress looking similar enough to the old designs (her outfit on the other hand, ugh). It's Trish that's the bigger problem as she looks just too different from her previous designs that it reminds me of an old soap opera where an actor unexpectedly died and they get a lookalike actor but you can just tell it's not the same person and it creates this dissonance effect.

And then we have Nico...who just looks like trash in general to add to her annoying personality.

berto

I Saw the Devil
It's Trish that's the bigger problem as she looks just too different from her previous designs
Actually, Ariana Diamant looks very similar to DMC4's version, which is what they were going for, I think.
12935030_220211198353548_1404501575_n.jpg

40502665_315422749216334_6978492530662060910_n.jpg

The thing is, sometimes she also looks like older versions of Trish.

4da73bfcba508.jpg

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
Actually, Ariana Diamant looks very similar to DMC4's version, which is what they were going for, I think.
12935030_220211198353548_1404501575_n.jpg

40502665_315422749216334_6978492530662060910_n.jpg

The thing is, sometimes she also looks like older versions of Trish.

4da73bfcba508.jpg
Similar in person sure, but when her features become exaggerated through the lens of CGI, what were once subtle differences in the shape of the nose or the arch of the eyebrow suddenly become very noticeable traits that make her look much more different... at least in my eyes anyway.

Though to be honest, the base designs don't bother me that much. It's the facial animations that get my goat in terms of uncanny valley. If I'm not mistaken, the face mocap is based on the voice actors and not the models (based on that behind the scenes clip of Langdon) which I suspect may have a hand in the uncanny effect where one man's expression might sit oddly on another man's face. I could be wrong, but regardless I hope they can clean that up if possible with the time they've had since the initial reveal.

xMobilemux

I'll just get right to the ass kicking.
Supporter 2014
Modders are already at work with the REmake 2 faces, so it shouldn't take long for DMC5.
49-1551156405-161089299.jpeg

berto

I Saw the Devil
Similar in person sure, but when her features become exaggerated through the lens of CGI,
That's not quite how it went. They not only scanned the models but they altered their features to look more like the characters and I'm sure surely everyone noticed that their faces aren't identical to the characters we saw in the game footage. Dante, for example, has a wider face than Adam Cowei. Nero looks very different from Carlo, too.

It's the facial animations that get my goat in terms of uncanny valley.
I don't think it's uncanny valley as much as the models having weird expressions that don't fit their faces, but I do agree with the general idea. Dante, specially, seems to make this overly exaggerated expressions that ruin his good looks.

Top Bottom