• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Quotes From Your Own Work!

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Sorry for the double-post. ^^;

Just a snip I came across, since I've been reading through AG (trying to keep the plot on track). Nothing overly exciting; I just thought it was one of the nicer introspective pieces. ^^;

He’d had enough history lessons between Lord Silvanus and Lady Artemis to know that, no matter how fond of humans he’d become over the years, theirs was a history of violence; that for every good, kind individual, there were many others, seeking to profit from another’s despair.

Still, it was those good individuals—those innocents, young or old—that had spurred his desire to join the Regulations Force. Commander Asclepius and Shikko both had told him so much about their missions on Earth, of the many people they’d helped to protect—and more importantly, the many who had gone out of their way to protect one another, no matter the cost to their own lives.

If they, with their short lives, can be so brave and selfless, thought Forneus, then what right have I to stand idly by and do nothing? It was these exact words he’d used while appealing to his guardians, and he suspected, the exact words that had won them over in the end.

Still, their approval had come with caution; for once he’d joined the Regulations Force, the road ahead would be a long and arduous one, indeed. There were no limits to the dangers he would be subjected to, no limits to the amount of violence and suffering he would both witness and experience in the human world.

Forneus forced these thoughts to the back of his mind with an ardent shake of his head, determined not to let them get the better of him. Now was not the time for groundless worrying; there would be time enough for that later, when he’d officially been accepted into the Regulations Force’s ranks—and no mistake, he would become one of their number. However long it took, no matter how many attempts he’d have to take at the entrance exams, Forneus wouldn’t knuckle under the pressure. Too long he’d dreamed of this, of being not only a valuable asset to the Spectrum, but a guardian to the race that had brought him into being—accidentally though it might have been. Nothing would dissuade him. Not now, not ever.

And another one involving Forneus a couple of years later, in the Training Facility:

Forneus nodded, following Awel as he led the way deeper between the constantly-turning planets, stopping just shy of Jupiter’s path. With only black space spanning on seemingly forever, the effect was a bit jarring; even with the sun, planets, and stars reflecting in its surface, even feeling it beneath his feet—he couldn’t seem to tell where space ended and the obsidian floor began.

Awel’s voice dragged his attention away from Jupiter as it passed, successfully banishing his discomfort with it. “As you recall during our last lesson, the circling planets serve to aid your discipline in focusing on your task, despite the obvious distractions.” He gestured toward the series of moons orbiting Jupiter, each one reflecting the gas giant’s many hues of colour—and each one distracting in their beauty. “I think for this lesson we will remove the element of illusion, and introduce a bit of realism.”

With his eyes closed, Awel extended a muscular arm in front of him, tracing the air with elegant fingers. A sliver of golden light appeared, widening into something Forneus had become quite familiar with over the years; an ethereal control panel. It wasn’t typical of the panel to come when summoned—most everyone else who utilized the Training Facility’s ability to change environment had to seek it out near the room’s entrance—but Awel wasn’t just anyone. As one of the members of the Regulations Force upon its inception—and despite his relatively youthful appearance, one of the oldest—he had displayed such talents in Forneus’s presence before.

Forneus watched as Awel traced several of the keys, punching in the sequence that would take the illusion of heavenly bodies and make them tangible. The panel glowed a vibrant green for half a second before vanishing with a crackle of dispersed energy, the subtle glow it had given off trailing out in eddies like luminescent dust to touch each one of the planets and stars.

He knew the moment they’d become tangible. Though possessing nowhere near the pulverizing weight their real counterparts would, they could still hit with bruising force. He learned this first-hand, when a floating piece of space debris—no bigger than a plum—struck his shoulder.

Forneus let out a hiss of pain, recoiling. His gaze snapped from Awel to the rest of the planetary environment, wary of incoming debris, and back again.

Something of the question he’d been about to ask must have reflected in his eyes, for Awel said, “This is defensive training, is it not? Come, young Forneus—show me the extent of your shielding prowess.”

He took a steadying breath, preparing to do just that. All the while, he tracked the planets and bit of stray rock with his gaze, willing as much energy into the air around him as he could. The first couple of times he’d tried—two years earlier—had resulted in failure. With that failure he had sustained injuries, and more importantly, lessons that would help him to guard against his weak areas in the future.

It had still proven difficult, but week by week, little by little, he’d begun to improve. And each time he improved, Awel would raise the proverbial bar, increasing the difficulty of his training; at first marginally, then by substantial leaps as his pace of learning quickened.

This wasn’t the first time Forneus had found himself having to shield against physical blows, but it was the first time the things responsible for such blows had been quite this large. Larger, heavier beings and objects required more energy—and more control. Forneus extended both arms to their full extents from his sides, fingers trembling in the air as he poured as much of himself into the defensive barriers as he could.

A scattering of space debris, not much bigger than the chunk that had hit his shoulder, thudded against one part of the force field he’d erected, making its mostly-invisible barrier flash with concentric circles of green light. With nowhere else to go, the debris dissolved, reduced to space dust. Forneus permitted himself a small, triumphant smile, before returning his attention to the rest of the objects encircling him.

From the way Awel stood, some fifty or so feet away with his hands weaving complicated patterns in the air, it seemed he was controlling the various meteors. Sure enough, they surged forward, guided by a sharp flick of the first two fingers on his right hand, and guided in staggering arcs with the left.

Forneus widened his stance, prepared. He felt the tension roiling in the pit of his stomach, the energy bubbling within the centre of his chest and expanding rapidly outward like the concussive blast of a star going supernova. Instead of a literal explosion, however, there was a ripple, forming a glittering ring of vibrant blue light around him.

Last edited:

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
My MC3 to my MC1.
Jenny caught herself a moment before her body tried to gravitate toward him. “I win,” she said forcefully. She lifted her chin and clenched her fists.
All it took to break through her defiance was for Julian to lean in closer; his breath tickled her cheek and his lips were warm against her ear when he whispered, “Only because I let you.”
Jenny let out a slow breath and closed her eyes. I am my only master. She repeated the mantra in her mind slowly as she breathed the words in. Already she could take back control of her racing heart.
“Does it help?”
Jenny glanced at him, annoyed at him for pulling her so easily out of her thoughts. “Does what help?” Her voice sounded weak even to her ears. He was still too close. If she moved in any way, she would touch him. The last thing Jenny wanted was to give him any more consent than he already had to touch her.
“Repeating that ridiculous one-liner to yourself. Does it help you feel empowered? Does it give you strength to resist me?” His voice was silky and condescending; a beautiful, horrible sound.
“You should try it,” Jenny said and closed her eyes again. If she couldn’t see him, he couldn’t melt her brain and entice her visually. That was all he had; tricks and illusions. The problem was that he was too good at it.
He blended reality with delusions so well that half the time, she didn’t know something was a trick until she reflected back on it later. Some things like Tom giving her a set of earrings for her birthday – Jenny had worn it, and was left bewildered when Tom complimented her on her choice of jewellery.
Things like having a long talk and a good cry with Dee, only to discover that the person cradling her was Julian.
Things like her dreams seeping into real life.
“I didn’t think so.”
Jenny pinched her eyes shut tighter to combat the frustrated tears that came at his words. He was right, of course, the mantra didn’t help her to resist him. She’d be an idiot to deny the pull there was between them. Julian had said it himself once, that they were drawn to one another like a moth to a flame.
It was inexplicable and terrifying. The times when she felt wild and free and beautiful in his proximity were long gone. Jenny often questioned if that was how she had really felt around him or if it had just been another trick of his, because now he made her feel trapped, weak and disgusting. He could get inside her head, and according to everyone else he was inside her head. A fragment of her traumatic childhood experience with her grandfather in the basement, they said. Psychosis and schizophrenia had also been thrown about when nobody thought she was listening.
“This is getting awkward, Jenny. Just kiss me already.”

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Blackout, chpt...28? I think? Anyway, metaphors for the status of life using chickens:

A lamp had been lit inside the cart and Victoria made her way inside with heavy feet and arms. Blood still splattered the floor. Reaver had sat down on the edge of the cot, staring blankly at something in the corner next to the door. Victoria turned to see Henrietta's limp body on the floor of her cage. No. She fished a couple bowls from their supply and carefully took down the cage. Kneeling in the snow outside, she tried to carve out a small hole in the frozen ground. Her hands were raw and half-frozen by the time she had laid the hen in it and smoothed the soil down over her. She sucked down a deep breath, filled both bowls with snow, and went back inside to spread the snow over the blood on the floor--the only thing she could think would work in place of water.

"You buried the chicken," Reaver observed. When she didn't respond, he broke into a peal of laughter that didn't sound quite sane. As it faded, he buried his head in his hands; fingers scraping roughly against his scalp. She realized he wasn't amused at all.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Am I double posting? Yep. For an original thing.

“Don’t be ridiculous,” Evie scoffed, adjusting her skirts as she straightened up. She feigned obliviousness to the frown Lord Ashmore had fixed her with and kept her attention focused on the view from her window. “If I have caused you harm, then I deeply apologise. It was not my intention to harm you. However, your feelings are your own. I hold no claim to them. Deal with it on your own. I’m of no obligation to soothe your soul every time you equate frustration to suffering.”

I'm going to like writing these two. :happy:Oh, Evie...what you lack in memories, you make up for in taking no bs.

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Arcane Guardian Tidbit:

“Why did you leave?”

The words echoed across the vast expanse of nothingness surrounding him, doubling back over and over until his voice sounded no more than a whisper. Silvanus stared back at him, violet-blue eyes softened at the corners with sadness.

“I didn’t want to,” he answered, extending a hand toward Forneus, despite the distance between them. “If I could have had any choice in the matter, I never would have left you. You must know that.”

Forneus swallowed, his throat thick with so many questions, so many things left unsaid between them. Slowly, he moved forward, each step silent against the formless void, the white thinning to grey and back until at last, he was only an arm’s length from him.

“Cybele grieved for you. We all did…but her most of all. So why?” The words came out choked, Forneus taking a fortifying breath so that he could continue. “Why’d you do it? What in Mythos made you think you could face him alone?”

Silvanus’s lips tilted into a sad smile, eyes misting. “I never believed I could face him alone. My only thought was for the Spectrum’s safety—and for yours.” He closed the distance between them, one hand coming to rest on Forneus’s shoulder. “We are bound by ether. You are my son, no matter how you came into being. When I thought I might lose you, too, I…” He trailed off, averting his gaze.

Even knowing this was only a dream, Forneus couldn’t stop the words tumbling from his lips. “You have no idea what it’s been like without you here to guide me.” A tear traced its way down his jaw, unchecked, and he reached up to grasp the hand Silvanus had lain on his shoulder. “You’ve no idea how much I’ve missed you. The council, the Spectrum—nothing has been the same since you left us.”

“I’m sorry. I’m sorry I’ve missed so much of your life—of the entity you’ve become. But I am so, so proud of you.” Tears flowed down Silvanus’s cheeks, and he smiled. “I am so proud of you, Forneus. You have become so much more than I ever could have imagined, so much stronger and wiser than I ever could have hoped to be.”

Forneus shook his head as if to deny his words, but Silvanus pulled him into a hug, stopping him. “No, it’s true,” he insisted, parting slightly so that he could look him in the eye. “Through every hardship, every impossibility and setback, you’ve persevered. Never have I seen such compassion in one so experienced—so world-weary. And yet, for all the horrors you’ve faced, you’ve never lost that part of you. That, my boy, is true strength.”

Gently, Forneus extricated himself from Silvanus’s hold, though he didn’t resist when the other left one hand on his shoulder. The void seemed to brighten in his peripherals, pulsing with the faintest trace of a gold corona at the edges.

It took him a moment—or perhaps it was barely a second, for time was a funny thing in dreams—to realize it wasn’t the void, but the beating of his own heart that created the pulse of colour in his vision. Warmth radiated at the centre of his chest as he stood there, studying Silvanus as intently as the other studied him. With the way his eyes flicked over Forneus, from head to toe and back, his lips trembling with some unspoken emotion, it seemed he couldn’t get enough of the daemon he’d become.

Vaguely, Forneus realized he was doing the same thing; taking in everything from the golden oak-leaf crown nestled on top of Silvanus’s swept-back grey hair, to the willowy frame that, even at Forneus’s tallest, still towered over his considerable height of six feet, three inches. The violet-blue eyes, the scar in the cleft of his chin, the way the military uniform he’d last seen him in—grey with silver buttons—made him every bit as distinguished as he remembered.

The scent of spruce that had always seemed to be wafting in the air around him.

Tears stung the corners of his eyes, a tight ball forming in his stomach that felt a lot like homesickness. Every bit as much as Cybele, Silvanus had been who he often pictured when he thought of “home”. Artemis and Pan might have been his guardians as well, but both had been far too wild, far too restless to stay in one place, raising a new life. At the end of his youth, it had been Cybele and Silvanus who had been there in the crowd, congratulating him on becoming a First Unit operative.

And it had been Silvanus, when Fiori had died, whom had comforted him over the loss of his first love—and had taught him the sanctity of all life, the fleeting spark of a mortal most of all.

“Forneus? Are you all right?” It took Silvanus’s concerned frown to realize he’d been crying anew, the plains of his jaw saturated with tears.

He wiped them away, forcing a smile. “I’m fine. I just…I’ve really missed you. When I think of all the times I took you for granted as a child…”

Silvanus chuckled, the sound sending a pang through Forneus’s chest. Never had he realized how much he’d missed the sound of Silvanus’s voice—of his laughter—until that moment.

“You can hardly be held accountable,” said Silvanus, squeezing his shoulder before letting his arm fall back at his side. “Few children pay their elders any mind until they absolutely have to. It doesn’t change who you have become.”

Silvanus seemed about to say something else, when a sudden ripple went through the void, painting it in concentric rings of vibrant colour. Forneus winced, a klaxon sounding from all around him, impossible to pinpoint. When it seemed his ears would rupture, the sound ceased, leaving a painful silence in its wake.

“Silvanus?” He looked at the woodland god, noting that he seemed less substantial than before, traces of white showing through his left shoulder and above his stomach. “What’s the matter? What was that sound just now?”

“We’re almost out of time.” Silvanus’s gaze met his, his expression somber. “I fear I’ve taken up too much of it already, but there’s still something I must impart to you before you go.”

Forneus’s mind was a whirlwind of thoughts; first to protest that Silvanus taking up his time was in any way a burden, and second to wonder, Before I go? Aloud, he asked, “I don’t understand. Why should I go now? I’ve been so long without you—please. Please don’t send me away.”

“It’s out of my hands,” said Silvanus, both hands lightly resting on Forneus’s shoulders, his fingers nearly translucent. “There is trouble in the waking world; trouble that others need your help in combatting. But I must speak quickly.”

Questions lodged in Forneus’s throat, stopped only by the urgency in Silvanus’s voice. “Okay. Then please…speak.”

Edit: Geez. >.> Dunno what was up with the spoiler and quote tags, but finally got it sorted out.

Last edited:

ReaperHunter

Follow me to Apex
Premium
Was skimming through the beginning of an old story and got a good reminiscent chuckle out of this.
Luke took his bag to his room upstairs after dinner. He placed his swords on the shelf he used to hold them to the left of the door. He tossed his bag to the side and turned his stereo on before sitting down on his bed. Luke layed down and tossed his bouncy ball at the ceiling. He thought back to his battle with the snake man earlier. He was hurtling towards that wall to certain death, and then suddenly he landed on the ground harmlessly.
“I had to have done that somehow.” Luke muttered to himself. He began to focus on the spot on the ceiling that the bouncy ball was making contact with while he threw it. After several minutes of watching the bouncy ball hit the spot, Luke stopped throwing the ball and took a deep breath. He exhaled and continued staring at the ceiling. After another minute or so Luke saw a change on the ceiling. It was the same negative filter kind of look that the wall he was going to crash into had right before he miraculously didn’t meet his demise. Luke’s breathing stopped for a moment. It felt like his music from the stereo was fading out. He smirked and tossed his ball in his hand once before chucking it at the spot on his ceiling. “ Now!” Luke said as the ball sailed towards the spot.
The ball bounced off of the ceiling and back at Luke, hitting him in the forehead with a decent amount of force. His music seemed to come back once the ball made contact with the ceiling. “Drat.” Luke muttered. He thought back again. “ I didn’t just go in the hole. I came out of the other one.” Luke reminded himself. He glanced back at his ceiling. The spot was still there. He looked at the floor beside his bed and began concentrating. A second spot appeared after a minute. Luke smiled and dropped his bouncy ball through the hole on the floor. The ball dropped through the hole and instantly through the other hole and onto the back of Luke’s neck. “Ow.” He said before laying back down to experiment with his new found power more.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
Oops, my hand slipped and an AU fell out.

Footsteps—she could hear them again, loud and clear behind where she laid. She tried to pretend she was still sleeping, but couldn’t stop her body from going perfectly still. Her breath seemed to freeze in her lungs. This isn’t real. You’re still dreaming. There’s no such thing as ghosts.

But the footsteps were coming closer, coming around to her side of the bed. They paused for a moment. She forced her eyes to remain closed, silently willing the footsteps to have stopped for good. Her sheets shifted near her feet. She heard the mattress creak, though she couldn’t feel any additional weight on the bed. Her heart pounded in her throat, all but choking her. Her eyes flew open.

At first she saw nothing. Just the dark abyss of her bedroom, the lighter-coloured objects like pale blobs in the gloom. And then she saw it. An area where the night seemed even darker. A human-shaped figure sitting on the edge of her bed, slightly darker than the rest of the room. Again she could feel eyes burning into her. Staring remorselessly. She couldn’t bring herself to move or to look away.

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
Setting up the blacksheep of the group nice and early.
Sometimes he's really slow and sometimes he's really smart.
Talking when you're not meant to and getting caught is of the former.
So he had to write out the entire alphabet and words that mean 'shut up', in runes of course.
Writing is not his strength.
But I do like his cheek.

He turned to Darius and gave a shake of his head. “Prince Darius, have you not yet finished your punishment?”
“Well it’s a bloody lot to get through,” Darius said defiantly.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
From TBC, because I've been neglecting that:

“They’re calling him Jack down in the slums,” Pierce observed, needling. Still clearly fishing for a reaction as he tapped his pen against his notebook.

“Jack?” Victoria repeated slowly pulling her gaze away from the bloodstained wood. She turned to frown at him. “Why Jack?”

“They’re saying the violence, the fear, ‘s like the last time Jack of Blades was ‘mongst us. …you sure you haven’t a statement for the Times, Your Majesty?”

With a sharp, annoyed breath, she rose to her feet. Stepping close to him, she hissed, “I say this to you as your cousin, Pierce, not your queen: stay away from these murders. I will not step in if you draw this man’s attention to you. Stay out of it and you’ll get your damned statement when this is over.”

Victoria doesn't really get on with the press. -shrugs-

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
So this happened, completely out of the blue last night:

Everyone has limitations.

A simple fact, yes, but a fact that so many cease to grasp, just the same.

Despite all the neon, despite all the glitz and the glamour—despite the next big, “Become a master of the Arcane!” potion—we’re all just mortals in the end.

At least, that’s what I used to think.

Then they came. In their dark hooded cloaks, their faces concealed behind silver masks, the tread of their footsteps impossible to hear even in the vacuous silence of the lab.

I was seventeen at the time. Not yet a man, though I thought I was.

Funny how much your perspective can change in just a few short years.

Funny how much you can change, until you can no longer recognize the face staring back at you in the mirror.

I maintain I'm still on a break. I'm not going to force myself to do anything writing-related, I'm not even going to outline...whatever this is. I'm just going to keep adding to it whenever the mood strikes me, and if it doesn't, oh well. :whistle:

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"I was named in honor of you, in honor of what you and my father lacked. A chance of a life of your own, free of legacy or duty. My parents wanted me to have what they did not."

V/Vitale was theorized to be Dante and Lady's kid before he was revealed in the leaked footage so I thought of why Dante/Lady picked that name. So this is him telling Vergil why he wasn't named after him.

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
A prompt I did, featuring my MC, Cabe, from the Cyberpunk I'm (tentatively) working on.

I couldn’t tell you how long we stood there staring at one another, the downpour drowning out all sound from beyond the row of low-roofed apartments—though considering it was already an hour past curfew, there wouldn’t have been any source of noise, anyway. All of the aero-cars and flight-cycles would have been grounded and locked up tight in their designated units long before now, just like their owners. That Vann and I were out went far beyond recklessness, and straight into the realm of complete idiocy.

But what was I supposed to do, leave my best friend to face the wrath of the Sweepers alone? No. Vann might have crossed a line two nights before, but even if I was still mad at him—which I most definitely was—that didn’t mean I would abandon him now when he was in need.

“I deserved that,” he said at last, wiping the corner of his mouth, the trail of blood bright and glistening against the pale, freckled skin of his hand. Raindrops had gathered in his eyelashes, nearly indistinguishable from the tears welling in his eyes. “I know I ****ed up. I know I don’t deserve your forgiveness, but—”

“No, you don’t,” I cut him off, tucking the bruised knuckles of my right hand into my coat pocket. “And until you’ve made it up to me, you won’t have it. But I’m not going to throw you to the Triumvirate, either. They killed my parents, too.”

Vann swallowed thickly; once, twice. Then, his composure slipping completely, he began to cry, and despite the anger still burning a hole in my chest, I knew I couldn’t stay mad at him forever. Not when he looked so pathetic, tears streaking down his face in thick rivulets, black hair plastered against his head in wild curls as he stood there, all six feet of him, looking at me like a guilt-ridden child. “Thank you. Cabe, I’m so, so sor—”

“Save it.” I held up a hand, my jaw clenching. “After that **** you pulled on Gramps, your words mean nothing to me. You want my help, you’ve got it—but until you’ve paid back every Solusian cent you stole from him, you can take your sorry and shove it up your ass.”

Vann gaped at me, his mouth opening and closing several times before finally snapping shut. Then with a stiff nod, he said, “Okay.”

“Good. Now, if you want to get Suri out, we’ve gotta act fast. Let’s go.”

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
The beginning of a prompt vs halfway through:

He had not expected to end the night by getting shot. He’d expected it earlier in the evening, certainly—if only because a bit of burglary often resulted in either being shot at or being threatened with it. But not later.

“You were shot—”

Yes.”

“—by a flapper?”

He shot him a warning look. “Don’t.”

Pls get him away from pretty girls....

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
“Cabe, fancy meeting you here,” Jonas said, as if he didn’t know the doorstep barely six feet from where he was standing was mine. He towered over me, nearly two full feet above my pitiful five feet, three inches, leaving the scraggly hair of his chin at eye-level. His tone turned casual, though I wasn’t fooled for a minute; we’d played this game before, Jonas and me.

“Given any more thought to Sid’s offer?”

“Nearly every day for the past moon cycle, you’ve asked me,” I said, subtly shifting so that I was out of arm’s reach, “and every single time, I’ve told you to get sparked. Wanna make it an even thirty?”

“You little—!”

As predicted, Jonas reached out to grab me by the collar, his dirty, ragged fingernails skimming my threadbare lapels as I took a solitary step to one side. As Jonas attempted to compensate for his momentary lack of balance, I stuck out my foot, swallowing back a snicker as he fell, face-first, against the grimy magnetic strip.

Taking my flat-cap off, I flourished it at his backside, stepping over him with a chuckle. “Better luck next—”

I’d only gotten two steps away when I smashed my nose against a muscled chest. Damn. Revon…I should’ve known. Bloody well attached at the hip, aren’t they. The man in question held my upper arms in a vice-like grip, and I forced back a wince as I met his black-eyed stare.

“Going somewhere, little Cabey?” Sour breath reeking of Solusian Wine stung my nostrils, and I fought down a fit of gagging. “I believe you owe Jonas here an apology.”

“And I believe you both should try your hand at base-jumping off the Leanan Bridge, yet here we are.”

I'm only a little over 4k in to this story, but hopefully this won't end up abandoned. I like this kid.

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
This round of Aggressively Arguing In Sign Language brought to you by my NaNo project:

With a bit more force than she’d intended, she quickly signed, “We should go back to sea. That’s where we belong; not here. If the spirits won’t let us, then we should ask different ones for help. Ours don’t appear to be listening to us. Why should we listen to them? This—”

“Don’t speak ill of the the spirits,” Sitra tried and failed to interrupt, frowning.

“—situation could be avoided if we asked new spirits to guide us. It’s better than dying here on land.”

He scoffed audibly, rolling his eyes. There was a stern finality to his movements as he replied: “We’re not going to die. This is a test.”

“Spending a moon on land during the worst part of winter is a test? The Southerners cheating us out of what we buy is a test? The storm that nearly drowned us…a test?”

“It’s all a test!”

She stared, lips pursed in displeasure at his outburst. Her mood shifted as a memory surfaced and she tried not to smirk as she signed, “Was it a test when Jáde returned from his hunt, drunk and missing his clothes?”

Sitra’s mouth twitched. He narrowed his eyes, clearly trying to keep from grinning at her. “It was a test of my patience.”

-sobs because she doesn't want Sitra to die but knows what the outline says-

Last edited:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Snip from Shadow & Flame:

No, stop it! Phenex clenched his fists until his nails dug into his palms, the bite of it serving to clear his head a little. True, some of the humans that got caught by Reeves’ goons were more twisted than the Shade himself could ever be, but how many innocent human lives had been snatched up as well? You didn’t send a monster to kill other monsters—not unless you wanted collateral damage.

In that case, whispered a voice in the back of his mind, what does that make you?

Phenex squeezed his eyes shut, trying to force the thought back, but it was already too late. The words had already taken root, spreading through his mind and dripping into his veins like a poison. How much destruction had he caused while pursuing demonic criminals over the years? How many lives had he unwittingly snuffed out while laying the enemy low? How many streets and buildings had he reduced to rubble, and how much of that rubble had crushed the life from human lungs? How much of the damage he’d caused had claimed human lives after he’d gone, giving no further thought to them or anyone else, now that his job was done?

Shadow

the horror was for love
Premium
This time on Rae-writes-weird-prompt-responses-for-fun-and-no-profit:

“What’s stopping me from shooting you?” Victoria enquired. In her mind’s eye, she pictured raising her pistol and setting his annoyingly smirking face in the centre of its sights. She forced herself to keep from acting on the urge. She couldn’t let something happen to Ben now.

Once more, Reaver laughed. He ran his free hand through his tousled curls and dropped it to a vague gesture as his smile turned acidic. “I would prefer you keep your attention on the conversation. But if you must insist upon having something to occupy your hands, I can think of a myriad of better things to do with them. Other places they could be.” His gaze flicked momentarily lower, stopping on her gun before returning to her face. “Perhaps you’ll find my proposition far more…stimulating.”

She felt her frown deepen. “What could you possibly have to offer me?”

“Excitement.”

John forced himself to rise out of his crouch. The aftershocks of Will still ran through his system, drawing tremors. He was abruptly and horrifically aware of where the old terror of Heroes had come from. That sort of power…. He looked about, expecting the manor to have been reduced to rubble around them. (Hoping their “host” was gone with it.) Unfortunately, it wasn’t. A haze shimmered around them, leaving behind a faint prickle like the air after a lightning storm. He turned, wide-eyed, toward Sherlock, more relieved than he could admit that he looked unharmed.

Sherlock was too busy staring at the mass of decimated hollow men to notice John’s stare. He seemed to have forgotten they’d been in the midst of a battle ten seconds ago. But John didn’t think he looked upset that his spell hadn’t worked to its full potential, either. Instead, he studied the corpses and shattered bones intently. His gaze travelled upward, following the threads of something John couldn’t see. Will? Something worse?

“Oh, elegant,” Sherlock breathed, the beginnings of a smile twitching at his lips. Fascination and curiosity warred over his features as he looked up to the gallery. “You’ve tied the wards into the atmospheric Will. An endless supply to ensure they never fail. Incredibly difficult…but tidy.”

Even at this distance, Moriarty seemed thrilled. “I’m so glad you noticed, Sherlock. I really am. Now you understand the problem, don’t you?”

John felt the air around them grow cold, frost burning every breath he took. The torchlight was fading behind a thickening veil of darkness. Eyes straining, he thought he saw something moving through the shadows around them.

“You won’t reach me. And no one ever will.”

I love this world swap prompt? It's the weirdest thing, but I'm thrilled. I'm living. I'm watching my boys do stupid things because they can. Wonderful.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
"Sorry Newt, you can't tickle Gellert into submission like you can me" Leta leans in with a smile.

Newt's heart sinks.

From a Hellboy/X-men first class story i thought of on the train.

"Brother what have they done to your beautiful horns?"

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
Working on the sixth draft of The Mythos Trials, and I don't know why, but I really like this bit:

“I thought we agreed speaking with the locals would be pointless?” Phenex interjected, draping his arm over the curved back of the loveseat. “Urban camouflage or no”—he gestured toward their clothing with a wave of his hand, his nose crinkling slightly—“even the people of Geminus would realize something was off if we started asking around about magic portals. Who knows what this bunch of superstitious sheep would do if they found out we aren’t human?”

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I thought of V-centered fanfic where it starts because Gryphon pesters V to ask this famous actress for her autograph.

He fails because-

"V how did this happened? I gave you the cue cards to read off, I spent an hour rewatching her GQ video- you know how bad the audio was."

"I couldn't read your cue cards. They were written in chicken scratch."

"You try writing with no thumbs"

Gryphon continues to rant when Shadow fakes a cough and speaks in French.

"No Shade this is not like the Candice Patton debacle of 2017 or the Priyanka Chopra debacle of 2005."

V rubs his cheek where he was slapped. He wonders what with happened in 2005. That was before he even met them and they talk but not about that. Or what happened in 1986 but he suspects that's because they slept together.

Nightmare rubs his shoulder, it's surprisingly well-mannered for a behemoth. He leans on it and stifles a yawn, thinking it's gonna be a long night.

He overhears Gryphon comparing himself to Sparda and he starts pestering V about a human form.

V mutters to Nightmare "Oh no it's going to be worse" and Nightmare smiles.

The scene was supposed to take place in a prison cell and V calls Dante to bail him out. Dante refuses because it ain't worth the pizza money and it's a character building moment for V.

-It became a longer piece so I thought him getting arrested might bring too much baggage to the future elements.

Last edited:
Top Bottom