• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Quick Time Events In Future DMC Games..?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Goldsickle

Just now, I was watching a gameplay video for The Way Of The Samurai 3, a game I have been looking forward to for the PS3 & X360.
I was shocked & upset that a series with deep combat has started implementing Quick Time Events for their instant kill combos.
Looks like this game is getting crossed out of my "list of games to buy"...

And before I saw that, I found out that the game by the creator of Devil May Cry himself, "Bayonetta" has confirmed to include Quick Time Events for in-game battles and cutscenes.

The future of action games doesn't seem to look bright here.

Makes me feel that sometime in the future, if a "DMC5" is being developed, the people behind the game might conform to the current trends and we'll start to see big shiny buttons on-screen...

I was afraid that Nero's Buster was going to be a QTE until I played the demo and realized it's balanced enough to fit into DMC's gameplay style.

I hope the team doesn't screw this game up...

What do you guys think?

Sparda™

QTE will integrate in every action/adventure game, sooner or later.

Since developers are lazy to do classics with rehashed graphics, they just use QTE with rehashed graphics.

One of the reasons I didn't fully enjoy DMC4, and I play most of the time with Dante, is that Nero has a degree of QTE in his Buster, balanced or not, not of my preference.

As for future DMC games, yes. Nero will inevitably become part of the future franchise titles.

His not-so-QTE moves will eventually surface as one, and I'm afraid other characters that will be playable, will also suffer from this.

Goldsickle

I think the direction they're going for so far is the best.

They wanted to make the game more cinematic to appeal to the current generation but didn't resort to QTE and wound up with the Buster.

They wanted to include a gigantic boss but again, they didn't resort to QTE but tried their best to make the battle with The Savior as manual as possible.

Let's hope the developers continue their efforts to create mechanics that fully utilizes the player character's actions and not resort to QTE.

Sparda™

Nero's Buster can't get more QTE even If Capcom would want to, seriously.

The only thing It is lacking, is a button to show us what to do...

Goldsickle

I think the non-boss Busters should be acceptable at least?
They're powerful but can be dangerous if used when another enemy is attacking.

I have always wanted grapple attacks in DMC.
I remember seeing Dante picking up a Marionette that was on his shoulders and tossing it to the floor back in the very first game.
I was thinking "can't he do something like that more often?".

When they introduced Busters, I was very happy. Nero automatically became a favorite character of mine.

Maybe you wouldn't reject Busters so much if they weren't so cinematic and devastating?

Sparda™

Goldsickle;178021 said:
Maybe you wouldn't reject Busters so much if they weren't so cinematic and devastating?

I would accept busters If they would somehow implement a button combination to continue that cinematic move, and make It as a combo string, for us, gamers, to execute.

Right now, It's just a QTE, unfortunately.

Keaton

Premium
^Have you played Star Wars the Force Unleashed, or Sonic Unleashed?

After you weaken an enemy in those games you are given a prompt to use an attack, this attack's success depends on wether you input the displayed button quick enough or not.

Goldsickle

Sparda™;178032 said:
I would accept busters If they would somehow implement a button combination to continue that cinematic move, and make It as a combo string, for us, gamers, to execute.

Something like King's multiple throw maneuvers in Tekken?

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
Sparda™;178007 said:
Nero's Buster can't get more QTE even If Capcom would want to, seriously.

The only thing It is lacking, is a button to show us what to do...
Originally Posted by Sparda™

1st= that isn't true, Nero's DB isn't a QTE. A quick time event is more like what god of war does, or resident evil. Nero's DB is no different than any other attack that Dante has that must be used at the right time. It even has a number of applications besides the various attack moves.

You talk about a combo string? That might be more fun, but it would be even more like a QTE that way.

2nd=(and this goes out to everybody) QTE are not a bad thing. Don't write off a game for having them. They are allot of fun if used correctly in a game.

In GOW for instance, it added a cinematic flare to the various boss battles and looked really cool.

It was also used correctly in resident evil 4, they where reasonably easy to get right the first time and they where a core part of gameplay, not just added once or twice like some games are doing.

Kingdom Hearts 2 was great about its QTE, they where mostly optional, very easy and basically helped add a little variation to the combat system. Kind of gave you a good reason to pay attention.

Basically QTE are not a bad thing if used right. They can even be fun.

Crimson Devil

Swordsmaster
QTE gave an epic and b@d@ss sensation to the games like GOW and star wars TFU... thats why I think there should be QTE in DMC as well.
Another thing is that QTEs give a better conclusion to the battle. Like, I was fighting Dagon and he was with like 0,1% health. I shoot him and he died in a very epic way (he exploded or something like that) just because of a simple shot!

Sparda™

Black Angel;178102 said:
1st= that isn't true, Nero's DB isn't a QTE. A quick time event is more like what god of war does, or resident evil. Nero's DB is no different than any other attack that Dante has that must be used at the right time. It even has a number of applications besides the various attack moves.

You talk about a combo string? That might be more fun, but it would be even more like a QTE that way.

2nd=(and this goes out to everybody) QTE are not a bad thing. Don't write off a game for having them. They are allot of fun if used correctly in a game.

In GOW for instance, it added a cinematic flare to the various boss battles and looked really cool.

It was also used correctly in resident evil 4, they where reasonably easy to get right the first time and they where a core part of gameplay, not just added once or twice like some games are doing.

Kingdom Hearts 2 was great about its QTE, they where mostly optional, very easy and basically helped add a little variation to the combat system. Kind of gave you a good reason to pay attention.

Basically QTE are not a bad thing if used right. They can even be fun.

Hm, It looks cool, but makes games easy and annoying after some time. That's why Nero was a boring character to play.

Black Angel

Semper Fidelis
Sparda™;178154 said:
Hm, It looks cool, but makes games easy and annoying after some time. That's why Nero was a boring character to play.

On the higher difficulties its hard to get hi bringer to connect with the stronger enemies, at least for me it was hard:lol:

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom