• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Question: Do you guys think Dante is a bad character in this game?

darkmanifest

Unleash the blood
Is he a bad character? Not necessarily. He's pretty much your typical action movie antihero, he's not original or particularly complex, but he's not supposed to be, just fun and entertaining. DMC3's Dante was in the same spirit. But, personally, this Dante rubs me the wrong way. He lacks classic!Dante's overall appeal to me, so outside of a few funny and touching (the scene in the server room with Kat) moments, and despite his brilliant voice actor, I found him shallow and grating. I largely agree with the video that part of the reason he's annoying is that he's an awkward mishmash of very different types of hero, and the result is inconsistent. I felt the same way about Nero from DMC4 (though I think Nero was actually worse).

But this is NOT a judgement against those who like him. I've seen people say they found DMC3 and 4 Dante unappealing, and while I disagree, I consider the perspective valid. People just have different opinions in characters.

zarion

He's surprisingly naive despite not being a virgin pizza-munching slob and a goofball like the original.
NT made him a bit 'on the edge', yet he's an idealist sucker and a good guy at heart, he just has a little bit racial bias towards demons.
Has a habit of generalizing them.

788Masri

I'm just some guy who really like Devil May Cry
his assholeness stems from him being given the worst part of the stick. he has no memories and hence no idea why there are legions of demons trying to kill him every step he takes. and as we go through the game he looses that. his character grows throughout the game. until we end up with a Dante very much like the Dante of DMC3.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
I thought Dante was a decent character. Not exquisite, but certainly somewhat better in one game than the barely three-dimensional classic that took four games, two books, and an crummy animated series to flesh out. I did like Dante's tone, even if he was an asshole, because it came across more like those types people find enjoyable, like House and whatever. It's not something that works very well, because everyone thinks that being an asshole is what people find endearing, so everyone tries to make House-copies.

What made Dante's standoffish behavior work was how endearing he could also be, and how his attitude did shift - that humanity that started to show through the more he spent time with people not out to get him. Probably the moment that really showed Dante's blossoming humanity was when The Order was under attack. Even more so at the end of the mission when Dante was so concerned about Kat's well-being that he quickly taught her how to be taken into custody, not to be scared, and promised to come back for her.

His humor was also great. I loved his sardonic attitude towards things. Did he "Swear too much?" Who gives a ****? People can think NT did it just because they wanted to be "edgy," but his abrasive vocabulary is just part of who he is, and it's not like nothing is off-limits to him; he cleaned up his mouth around Kat :p

So many funny moments in the game, like that "Five levels of Hell elevator scene," the "Aw f*ck off!" laser hallway, but I really ended up laughing at Dante and Vergil conversing about who was the better twin, and when they were trying to formulate plan and Mundus just looms over them proclaiming "I AM MUNDUS!" and Dante, without missing a beat, yells "YOU'RE AN ASSHOLE!"

DmC Dante is okay in my books. He does a lot better with having and showing emotion, falters every once and a while (which makes him a bit more relatable) on what his convictions should really be, but hides it all well enough under that "raw" exterior.

Man, him saying that a human (Kat) is the real hero is what redeemed Dante in my eyes. That was actually really cool.

I really loved that, too.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
that a human (Kat) is the real hero
1274360.jpg

Paexie

Lmao. Vergil, you douchebag.
1. She does all the reconnaissance work in every mission...
2. She even does this when she was captured by Mundus, as he probably didn't know she can escape her physical form from pain and look around his territory in Limbo.
3. That would have been a great plan and it wouldn't have happened if Dante didn't try to save her. Vergil you're an idiot.
4. You're an idiot.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
There's nothing wrong with the DmC Dante. He's a more realistic and down to earth Dante who isn't just a generic cartoon stereotype. He has a solid identity and it's all in context to the tale being told here. You can understand Dante's carefree attitude and cockiness if it's all justified and he still isn't all that different at all. Why do people act like the rebooted Dante is so drastically different?Just analyze him.
-Cocky (check)
-sense of justice (check)
-spouts occasional one liners (check)
-badass demon slayer (check)
If that isn't Dante then who the hell is it suppose to be? DmC still preserved what made Dante Dante but just made him more natural and less well, stupid. Comparing the previous incarnation to DmC, DmC Dante surpasses him as the better character with a hell of alot more potential. He's more developed and fleshed out as a character should be. I'm sorry but listen guys, Dante in the previous games was not very developed and was one of the most generic characters in gaming history who couldn't get anymore cliche if he tried. To say he was the better character just makes me think people really must be shallow and loves things just straightforward and I'd rather see a nice sense of depth to the character. In all honesty is it really just his appearance that makes people think he's so cool? Because he isn't a very interesting character to even begin with. If Devil May Cry did not have it's fun gameplay then DMC would be dead out the gate because he isn't particularly memorable or interesting alone.

DMC was all about style and no substance. DMC just has fun gameplay but everything else is rather forgettable and you honestly don't give a sh!t. Now of course gameplay is the central core to a video game but you have to understand how video games have evolved into a medium that's actually become more of interactive storytelling and video games could be something even more amazing. Like what Metal Gear Solid did to me. It was a game that not only had fun gameplay but interesting story and characters that just immerse you even more in the experience. I never seen a video game do what MGS did up until that point. It wasn't until I played Shadow of The Colossus my mind was blown again.

I actually appreciate the effort in building upon where Capcom never seem to put any effort into at all. The narrative is definitely stronger here and I'm more interested in seeing where Dante goes from DmC than some random generic plot Capcom may have from the big ol book of cheese for a hypothetical 5th numerical installment. Dante may be crude at first in DmC but you can't help but root for the guy as you take the journey with him because also I wasn't wishing to slap Dante in the face so hard to make his head spin. Being so goddamn goofy and a try hard like he was in DMC 3, Dante didn't even act 19. When I was 19 I wasn't retarded. DMC 1 has my favorite Dante from the previous because I got the sense he was cocky but he was a bit more subtle. More people will relate to DmC's Dante whether they like it or not because he actually seems like a real person this time around. DmC has actually got me anticipating the next installment which I haven't been since I was finished with the very first Devil May Cry.

majeh116

I like when your dodging the lasers on sky bridge then drekavac appears with a few mobs an he goes "Oh F**k off!" I was actually thinking that cause my hp was low on my first play through .
I actually unintentionally said oh **** off right as he said it :p then my eyes went wide and i laughed XD

MedicoreR

How can you defend that type of videos?
Jesus Christ why people are so annoying
ANYONE can do ANYTHING to an IMAGENARY CHARACTER !!!

They can even turn him into a GIRL
They can turn the game into RPG or FPS or FG character
Why? Because he is not real !!!

**** Dante, **** Sparda, just stop making this meaningless rants

Downfall

I like him, and I think he's a good character -- I just thought a few of his lines fell flat. This is more due to the fault of the script itself (which, other than the ''few flat lines'', I really liked), rather than the character Dante.

Martius

SSSmokin!
People have diffrent taste and opinions. You may not agree, but dont call it dumb if its based up with arguments. I dont like new Dante, but i am not calling anyone who does dumb.

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
I liked him.
His trying to console Kat at the end of mission 12 was pretty touching.
And his talks with Vergil are interesting; they're wrought from the same stone so to speak and they grew up in different environments, leading them to solving problems in very different ways.
He has a potty-mouth sometimes, but that's not much of a problem.
I just wish they developed everything else (lore, story, ending) as well as they developed Dante.

ChaserTech

People have diffrent taste and opinions. You may not agree, but dont call it dumb if its based up with arguments. I dont like new Dante, but i am not calling anyone who does dumb.

I agree. Too often I see people insult others just because they don't like something. It's really stupid and childish.

Personally I don't like the new Dante that much. But I like him more than the rest of the characters except for Mundus.

Top Bottom