• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Phantom Souls (Chinese knock-off)

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
DMC4Se was more expensive, but less entertaining than this one, which means Chinese had done more with less.

I beg to differ. Now, it would be a chore to go ahead and break both cutscenes down to make a comparison and show you how the one in DMC4 has better camera work, choreography etc, so suffice to say I don't really agree with you in the slightest and I simply believe you're projecting your negativity into things that are merely technical like this one.

I really believed, at this point, Capcom can't deliver something interesting enough to compensate what they have done for years.

That's another matter entirely. You're worried about story and characters and so on, as you said in the that other DMC5 thread, and it's legit, but it's got nothing to do with how well shot an action cutscene is.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
I beg to differ. Now, it would be a chore to go ahead and break both cutscenes down to make a comparison and show you how the one in DMC4 has better camera work, choreography etc, so suffice to say I don't really agree with you in the slightest and I simply believe you're projecting your negativity into things that are merely technical like this one.
I'm not talking about much expertise was used in this knock off nor how much Capcom spent. I'm just saying I prefer this cutscene over what I saw in DMC4SE since it's closer to a DMC3ishness feeling than what I had in DMC4Se. It's like when you prefer someone's cover over the original song/singer, it's a matter of taste.

We're going out of topic.

Last edited:

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
It's like when you prefer someone's cover over the original song/singer, it's a matter of taste.

Can't argue with taste. It's just that I'm a sucker for these things, you know, cinematography and the like (so much so I planned to make thread analyzing that aspect of this franchise, but university always gets in the way). So even though I too was disappointed by how scarce the DMC4SE's cutscenes were in terms of narrative meaningfulness (is this even a word, btw?), I still gotta give credit where credit's due and recognize they were damn well shot nonetheless.

Veloran

I'm not talking about much expertise was used in this knock off nor how much Capcom spent. I'm just saying I prefer this cutscene over what I saw in DMC4SE since it's closer to a DMC3ishness feeling than what I had in DMC4Se.
I didn't really get that from the trailer. It looked like a dozen F2P games rather than anything resembling Devil May Cry. Like I'd have been unsurprised if it was a Smite trailer, but that might be too much credit.

outoftheblue

What do you mean? They're both fighting scenes. It's the same thing. Except, the one from DMC4 is better shot and choreographed cause behind it there's more budget, an expert action actor and a more expert director.

As it's often the case with Gel too, I think that's just spite/frustration for how DMC's being seemingly ignored talking. Which I can understand, but let's try to rationalize.

@Foxtrot94 What I meant with halcooked is that a company of the level of Capcom could had given Vergil a line in the beginning cutscene and one in the final one. I´m not asking for a sheaksperian monolog, just a line to justify his presence in Fortuna and if he found what he was after in the end.
I´m not comparing both games, pretending this Phantom Souls thing is superior, i don´t think that, but I can´t avoid feeling robbed of content, when no matter how much better the choreography was in DMC4SE compared to PS, in the end we got the same; a flashy fanservicing cutscene with zero content. Obviously I´m not trying to armwrestle you or anyone else into agreeing with me, I´m just mad, sorry, but that´s the way I feel.

Reactions: Gel

Veloran

Capcom could had given Vergil a line in the beginning cutscene and one in the final one. I´m not asking for a sheaksperian monolog, just a line to justify his presence in Fortuna and if he found what he was after in the end.
But... Isn't that exactly what they did?

He was there to investigate the Order. In the end he figured their intentions were all right but that he'd come back later to show them the power of a true heir of Sparda - Which ironically did happen, but not at all like he thought at the time.

outoftheblue

But... Isn't that exactly what they did?

He was there to investigate the Order. In the end he figured their intentions were all right but that he'd come back later to show them the power of a true heir of Sparda - Which ironically did happen, but not at all like he thought at the time.
And that means exactly?...Investigate the Order,because of.....Found out their intentions were....Show them the power of Sparda how? I mean, I love the series, but that means nothing storywise.

Veloran

And that means exactly?...Investigate the Order,because of.....Found out their intentions were....Show them the power of Sparda how? I mean, I love the series, but that means nothing storywise.
He was investigating the Order because they were worshipping his father, a Demon, like a god, and Vergil is kind of obsessive about him. In the end he figured that they at least weren't (At the time anyway) misguided in their worship. And of course Vergil's overall intentions were more or less to become his father, so if that had all worked out like he'd intended they probably would have come to revere him in the future after seeing his power.

I don't get why you're having difficulty understanding any of this.

outoftheblue

He was investigating the Order because they were worshipping his father, a Demon, like a god, and Vergil is kind of obsessive about him. In the end he figured that they at least weren't (At the time anyway) misguided in their worship. And of course Vergil's overall intentions were more or less to become his father, so if that had all worked out like he'd intended they probably would have come to revere him in the future after seeing his power.

I don't get why you're having difficulty understanding any of this.

I understand your frustration, believe me, but my problem with everything you have mentioned is that it´s information that´s not included in the main information source-the game-and comes from a obscure novel, only published in Japan and only known for a few fans. That information should have been included in the game, so everyone understood the story and the characters.
If I´m remembering this in a wrong way, and it was stated in DMC4 and the SE, then I apologize and will go and sit in a corner trying to understand how I could have had so many difficulties understanding such a simple concept.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
If I´m remembering this in a wrong way, and it was stated in DMC4 and the SE, then I apologize and will go and sit in a corner trying to understand how I could have had so many difficulties understanding such a simple concept.

The fact that Vergil is obsessed with his father and wants to become like him at all costs is a key character trait established in DMC3, and he knows the Order worships Sparda as a god, as it's shown in his intro in DMC4SE.

In the end he figured that they at least weren't (At the time anyway) misguided in their worship.

This is pretty much spelled out loud in his outro.

so if that had all worked out like he'd intended they probably would have come to revere him in the future after seeing his power.

And this too.

Why do you say it's outside information?

Granted, I still think it's nothing particularly significant (hence my disappointment) and I'd have preferred it if those cutscenes were used to unveil Nero's past, as a child or something, but anyway, what Veloran said is pretty easy to understand. I mean, it's right there in the game. o_O

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
I suppose we will have to agree to disagree in what we consider valuable information, set up and executed in an acceptable way.

Wait, aren't you turning the omelette around now, to roughly translate a saying we got here? First you question the mere PRESENCE of that information, now, after evidence of the contrary were presented, you complain about THE WAY that information is provided.

So which one of the two is the object of your criticism? As for me, I can agree with you about the latter, but of course I can't agree about the former.

outoftheblue

@Foxtrot94 Actually I complain at the one line the ending cutscene did have. To me there are words and some words ARE wind, no real information. From what I understood, that wind was actual information for other people, so I don´t find any sense in discussing it further; it´s like we´re observing two completely different pictures.

Veloran

I understand your frustration, believe me, but my problem with everything you have mentioned is that it´s information that´s not included in the main information source-the game-and comes from a obscure novel, only published in Japan and only known for a few fans. That information should have been included in the game, so everyone understood the story and the characters.
I mean the book supports such things but in the game that's basically also what he says in the cutscenes.

and I'd have preferred it if those cutscenes were used to unveil Nero's past, as a child or something,
I think maybe that's what the red chick was supposed to suggest, but yeah it was still pretty vague. I'd hope it's fleshed out more in 5 if they go that route.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
To me there are words and some words ARE wind, no real information.

Yeah I get that. I mean, that tactic was my favorite at mid school when I wasn't prepared for interrogation. LOL

But seriously, what I don't understand is how exactly "Well, I can't exactly call them misguided. But soon they shall know this devil's power... a power greater than they ever imagined. The power of a son of Sparda" is wind, for example. Doesn't that reflect exactly what Veloran said, word for word? About how he thought they weren't misguided in their worship and that they would revere him after witnessing his power?

outoftheblue

@Veloran I stand corrected about the intro. Had forgotten the whole finding answers for the Orders intentions. I also watched the final cutscene, and I still find the "answer" quite bland, vague...I don´t know, my sense of disappointment with the SE is just growing overtime. Don´t mind me. Peace.

@Foxtrot94 I assume we are all adults, more or less, talking and sharing in this forum. I wouldn´t recommend that tactic in real life, people tend to actually feel offended by that condescending tone. It doesn´t go well in human interaction.

Last edited:

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I wouldn't recommend that tactic in real life, people tend to actually feel offended by that condescending tone. It doesn't go well in human interaction.
I agree.

Unfortunately, it's something people tend to forget more often than they'd ever admit.

PM me if you'd like to discuss this further.

Gel

When the going gets tough, the tough get going
Premium
Why do you say it's outside information?

Granted, I still think it's nothing particularly significant (hence my disappointment) and I'd have preferred it if those cutscenes were used to unveil Nero's past, as a child or something, but anyway, what Veloran said is pretty easy to understand. I mean, it's right there in the game. o_O
I see your point and agree what you said is true, but I can see why @outoftheblue sees the cutscenes as empty of content.I'm one of those who still keeps DMC4 novel religiously as it was a Bible because it has answers Capcom never DARED in put in-game: Dante getting old, Sparda/ Mundus relationship, Nero's miserable childhood as an orphan and bullying victim, Nero's age, etc.
Cutscenes only confirm Vergil was there , did that and disappeared in the outspace, apparently in less than 12 hours?!?It gives the idea all things happened in less than 24 hours, 12 at best, which is absolutely extraordinary even for Vergil: he went for answers, he got them and in some minutes, maybe hours, he got a child conceived.
I know that DMC story was never brilliant nor it needed to be, but to wait more than 8 years old , pay 25 euros for a special edition that give nothing than bare old bones?It's sad, at least. And no, I didn't buy it just in case of you ask and yes, now you can say I'm being emotional.

Top Bottom