• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Onimusha, is that YOU???

berto

I Saw the Devil
While I would probably weep at the sight of Takeshi Kenishiro roving the samurai armor again I'm going to go on the record and put my chips on HD remaster. Capcom said that they were going to be doing some more of that. I just hope it's all the games and not just one at a time.

Reactions: Meg

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
Capcom also registered the Devil May Cry trademark sometime ago, I think last year. Look at what came out of it: rereleases.

Don't get too hyped man, as berto said, Capcom did say there were gonna do more remasters so that's the most likely scenario for Onimusha.

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
While I would probably weep at the sight of Takeshi Kenishiro roving the samurai armor again I'm going to go on the record and put my chips on HD remaster. Capcom said that they were going to be doing some more of that. I just hope it's all the games and not just one at a time.
I actually think an HD Collection would be an even more improbable venture than just straight up making a new game.

Keep in mind, Onimusha didn't just feature Takeshi Kenishiro---but also Yusaku Matsuda (whose likeness was utilized following his death), and Jean Reno as well. A Capcom employee stated that making an HD Collection would be a costly and time-consuming endeavor, since redeeming the license to use each of these actors' likenesses would cost just as much as making a brand new game entirely.

Honestly, they would have an easier time just making a new game with a new protagonist, modeled after some new actor. I think they should get Hiroyuki Sanada. That would be badass.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Hiroyuki Sanada would probably be just as expensive. They do seem to like going for the internationally famous ones, though.

Meg

Or they could just make a new game without using any actor's likeness. Since that would make things easier down the line. :whistle:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Speak of the devil, I was just looking in to investing in the Onimusha games again for the PS2. I'd be cool with either a remaster or a new game. Nice to know this franchise isn't just dead to Capcom.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Speak of the devil, I was just looking in to investing in the Onimusha games again for the PS2. I'd be cool with either a remaster or a new game. Nice to know this franchise isn't just dead to Capcom.
I bought all 3 of the originals for 3 dollars back when GameStop was ridding their stores of PS2 games. Aside from not having the casses or manuals it was the best 3 dollars I've ever spent.

WolfOD64

Or they could just make a new game without using any actor's likeness. Since that would make things easier down the line. :whistle:

They could. They did it before with Dawn of Dreams, and I thought that game was fantastic.

Speaking of which...

Speak of the devil, I was just looking in to investing in the Onimusha games again for the PS2.

If you plan on getting Dawn of Dreams, do yourself a favor and import the Japanese version of the game. The North American version is notorious for being needlessly-botched, with things like the enemies' health being excessively-long.

The Japanese version is the original, authentic experience, and has the option to play the entire game in complete English.

Also, if you have an original Xbox, by chance, I recommend picking up the enhanced version of the first game, Genma Onimusha.

Reactions: Meg

absolitude

the devil is not as black as he painted
if i'm to be positive, the ni-oh game probably inspired capcom to do onimusha.. and if they're doing a remaster, they should be doing it like the first resident evil remaster.. god help us don't let it be a mobile game

Reactions: Gel

WolfOD64

If it's anything like DD: Online, I don't consider that so much of a bad thing. The "free-to-play" model of that game boiled down to easy exploits you could pay for to save hours of grinding and questing---an infinitely-silly thing, since that's what made Dragon's Dogma fun in the first place.

They most likely will make it so that some demonic weapons can't be bought quickly and effortlessly, rather than racking up souls to upgrade them slowly, like typical Onimusha affairs.

I'd take this rumor with a grain of salt, though.

Foxtrot94

Elite Hunter
Premium
The "free-to-play" model of that game boiled down to easy exploits you could pay for to save hours of grinding and questing---an infinitely-silly thing, since that's what made Dragon's Dogma fun in the first place.

Now, I haven't played DD, but I'm one of those who only put "grinding" and "fun" in the same phrase if "IS NOT" is between them.

I've often experienced that heavily grind-based F2P games that base their model on spending money for the ability to skip the grinding result in a pretty shallow experience and get boring really fast.

I've never played Onimusha, but personally, if I were a fan, I'd be concerned if the franchise actually took this direction. God knows how much I suffered when that happened to Neverwinter Nights.

WolfOD64

Now, I haven't played DD, but I'm one of those who only put "grinding" and "fun" in the same phrase if "IS NOT" is between them.

I've often experienced that heavily grind-based F2P games that base their model on spending money for the ability to skip the grinding result in a pretty shallow experience and get boring really fast.

I've never played Onimusha, but personally, if I were a fan, I'd be concerned if the franchise actually took this direction. God knows how much I suffered when that happened to Neverwinter Nights.
I was expecting the F2P model for Dragon's Dogma: Online to absolutely cripple any chances the game might've had to be a fun experience...but oddly enough, the game's great. The purchasable options are there, but you could literally play the entire game without them, and still progress at the same pace as Dark Arisen let you.

It gives me a little more faith on how Onimusha will turn out.

berto

I Saw the Devil
1449540126-street-fighter-v-hot-package.jpg

Frazz

General gamer
I hope it is an HD remaster as I never got to play the Onimusha series but having seen gameplay on the internet I'd love to get into the series. If it's f2p then I won't go near it as those games aren't enjoyable to me.

Top Bottom