• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

No Matter How Much One Hates DMC2,

Goldsickle

You can't deny that Rebellion, despite being a weapon first introduced in DMC2 and a byproduct of that game has found its way in other DMC titles and is now a big part of the DMC lore.

No matter how much one tries to forget DMC2, it has already left a huge, lingering mark on the series.

As for me, I'm indifferent to the game.
Maybe I should try replaying it again sometimes.

seraphmaycry

eh, i'd have to disagree about any real sort of mark, capcom seems to ignore it for the most part and from a business perspective they really should, it sold more then dmc1, but they know fans aren't going to be caught off guard by something like it again and that dmc2 has a.... reputation among the players.

sure it gave us rebellion, but only in name, a sword from dantes father was an element from dmc1 and the special demon blood awakening powers or whatever it has weren't really part of anything until dmc3, and i think that the name rebellion was kept either because, capcom hired a writer who is STILL in the "cool names equals cool characters and important mcguffins" phase (dear pazuzu, i remember the stupidity of retarded names like "seraph" that stuff only works when you make up a new word, otherwise it's ham-fisting a stupid idea into an otherwise fine character to make them "edgy" or dear pazuzu "goffick" as seen by the GENIUS here http://myimmortalrehost.webs.com/chapters122.htm, i'm going off-topic now) or they wanted to keep some sort of coherent consistency within their own fictional word.

i guess it could be argued some design choices for future dmcs were incorporated, but only if you really bother trying, and then again, that doesn't redeem a game with stupid "escape the explosion with a stupidly long fuse while i refuse to tell you where the hell you're supposed to go" level.

Last edited by a moderator:

Rebel Dynasty

Creator of Microcosms
Premium
You can't deny that Rebellion, despite being a weapon first introduced in DMC2 and a byproduct of that game has found its way in other DMC titles and is now a big part of the DMC lore.

No matter how much one tries to forget DMC2, it has already left a huge, lingering mark on the series.

As for me, I'm indifferent to the game.
Maybe I should try replaying it again sometimes.

I'm pretty much in the same boat; I haven't played much of it, as it hasn't grabbed me like 1, 3, or 4 have. But, I am fond of Dante having his own sword; I really like Rebellion, in fact. While it was cool for him to have Sparda (Force Edge) as well, it just didn't feel like his blade, since it originally was his father's.

Every Devil May Cry game has its strong and weak points, and while Capcom is embarrassed by 2, it also paved the way for what we got in 3 and 4. Of course, many will argue that that isn't necessarily a good thing-but you won't hear me making any such claims.

AlastorSword

“Must not sleep... must warn others."
Pfft only real DMC-G's like me can like DMC2! :cool:

Besides it did a hell of a lot more than bring rebellion. It's basic mechanics also unintentionally created the style system that we'd see perfected later on in 3 and 4. Let's face it, without DMC2 we probabaly wouldn't have anything besides Royal Guard and Doppelganger.

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Rebellion came from DMC2, but the best design of it exists in DMC4 and the anime :p

But yeah...there's a whole helluva lot of cool stuff that came from DMC2, and it should be recognized for that; Twosome Time, Fireworks, Rainstorm, free evasion, Wall Runs, Rebellion...

Goldsickle

Rebellion came from DMC2, but the best design of it exists in DMC4 and the anime :p

But yeah...there's a whole helluva lot of cool stuff that came from DMC2, and it should be recognized for that; Twosome Time, Fireworks, Rainstorm, free evasion, Wall Runs, Rebellion...
Weird how Fireworks started out as a dial-up combo.

Probably the only DMC that has a melee-to-gun dial-up attack?

TWOxACROSS

Hot-blooded God of Guns
Premium
Yeah, it's so weird how that worked. I didn't even know they had them in the first place until like a year ago, because of...well The Internet :p

seraphmaycry

Pfft only real DMC-G's like me can like DMC2! :cool:

Besides it did a hell of a lot more than bring rebellion. It's basic mechanics also unintentionally created the style system that we'd see perfected later on in 3 and 4. Let's face it, without DMC2 we probabaly wouldn't have anything besides Royal Guard and Doppelganger.

right i forgot about that, dmc2 is really awesome ffor the series

Goldsickle

Are there any behind-the-scenes info I can get on the Rebellion's conceptualization?
Like if it was originally intended to be simply a generic replacement for Force Edge or if there were plans for it to have a place in the series lore?

Top Bottom