• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory Working on Something!

D H

Good luck explaining this to some people, shipped means sold, so its already sold 1 million copies.

And like I told you before, them having a bunch of stock left over is still a large problem. If Final Fantasy XIII had sold 2 million after shipping 7 million, Square Enix would not have gone "Who cares what retailers sold!? WE SHIPPED 7 MILLION! Hey guys, let's do a next gen sequel at a higher budget and another 3 - 5 year dev cycle! Now, who wants to buy another 7 million copies from us to cover our bloated budgets? *Cricket* Guys? *Cricket* guys? hello?"

If no one buys the game after it is shipped, then retailers won't order nearly as much. That means that if a sequel is made, the budget would have to be dramatically lower to compensate for the much lower shipments. And while I enjoyed DmC enough to make an account here and would at least rent a sequel... I wouldn't want a low budget sequel that fails to meet expectations.

AlchemistFromEden

And like I told you before, them having a bunch of stock left over is still a large problem. If Final Fantasy XIII had sold 2 million after shipping 7 million, Square Enix would not have gone "Who cares what retailers sold!? WE SHIPPED 7 MILLION! Hey guys, let's do a next gen sequel at a higher budget and another 3 - 5 year dev cycle! Now, who wants to buy another 7 million copies from us to cover our bloated budgets? *Cricket* Guys? *Cricket* guys? hello?"

If no one buys the game after it is shipped, then retailers won't order nearly as much. That means that if a sequel is made, the budget would have to be dramatically lower to compensate for the much lower shipments. And while I enjoyed DmC enough to make an account here and would at least rent a sequel... I wouldn't want a low budget sequel that fails to meet expectations.
it still sold more than half the amount of shipped copies

CheeseKao

Lord Cheesington
Just because it's in a store doesn't mean it's immediately sold. As the sales number suggest.
Capcom sold 1million copies to shops. Retailers buy games from companies and retailers sell games to customer. It doesn't matter if the game sits on a shelf or not as the ones who lose money will be the retailers, not Capcom.

Terrutas

Capcom sold 1million copies to shops. Retailers buy games from companies and retailers sell games to customer. It doesn't matter if the game sits on a shelf or not as the ones who lose money will be the retailers, not Capcom.
Oh I see. I was wrong then, I apologize.

Loopy

Devil hunter in training
The only concern I have with that is if retailers buy from capcom and have to make their money back by selling to customers, then if retailers are unable to shift the product they have bought...aren't they less likely to buy that particular game from capcom in the future; or at least want to buy fewer copies to sell on?:/

There's a new tweet from Ninja Theory.

NinjaTheory@NinjaTheory
We'll be out at GDC in full force this year. Hope to see some of you out there!

The Ninja's are planning something. :steve:
I hope they're planning something exciting. ^_^ It's good to see they're still up and kicking after all this 'controversy' with DmC.

D H

@OppressedWriter

Yes, Capcom made money off of a million copies. The fact they wanted 2 million copies by now aside and the fact that Capcom only gets an average of 45% of the $60 per game aside (This is the entire reason for the "digital only" push... it cuts out the middle man and gives developers almost 90% of the full price tag rather than 45% to 50% they get through retail), only a little over half of those numbers are actually in consumer hands.

Let me put it to you another way:

Darksiders 2 was supposed to ship 4 million minimum enable to have a sequel. That was known the second they got their budget set in stone. Guess what happened? They were only able to ship around 1.5 million before THQ finally folded. The game didn't sell at retail like they expect, so stores didn't make more orders since the demand for the game just wasn't there. During the auction, no company wanted to touch the IP. Why? Because it was supposed to have been able to ship 2.5 million more copies, but in the end failed to do so. Platinum Games joked "No one took Darksiders? Wanna get it cheap!" That wasn't a compliment. People would only be willing to buy it cheap since it undersold twice.

Retail does matter. I'm not saying it's the only part of the equation, but If it doesn't sell well in retail, they can't ship the units since retailers won't buy them. If they can't ship the units to retailers, they can't make money. I mean, unless you believe that Retailers are fully willing to screw themselves and go "Yeah, we'll buy as much of your product as you want us to even though we know your last product in this line didn't sell anywhere near projections and we still have left over stock of the first product!" then retail sales most certainly do matter.

@ D H

Darksiders 2 sold well, it was not responsible for THQ's demise, in fact, none of the development houses under THQ were responsible. The only reason THQ went bankrupt was Udraw, look it up, because of that colossal failure unrealistic expectations were put on Darksiders 2, if it sold 4 million it would have made an obscene ridiculous profit, big enough to wipe out the calamity that was udraw. So, when it naturally didn't sell 4 million copies, THQ continued its death spiral of debt, and eventually was sold piecemeal to all the other major publishers. So, unless, Capcom decides to bet the whole company on something as stupid as a udraw type device you can rest easy and not worry about their demise.

And the whole Darksiders 2 on the cheap comment. If it was actually an insult platinum games are a horrible company if that's how they act when a studio gets closed down. Luckily, I think you are wrong, and all they meant, was hey if no one wants it we might be interested with the little money we can spare. Its not like Platinum is some giant publisher with huge cash reserves for a license. I figure they were just being honest.

Also, VG chartz is a joke and you should stop using it as your source for how sales are going. Hey, mind telling me the sales for MGR in the 2nd week, I believe there was an 80% drop omg, the game bombed. People need to realize all games drop rapidly after the first week, the rest of sales are calculated over several years. So, unless, you have traveled into the future, and heard capcom's earnings call with official data stop cherry picking bad data to make grand declarations about a game or companies failure.

Top Bottom