• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Ninja Theory: designing games purely for fans "will kill a series"

Railazel

It's like in writing when the author has a fantastic idea, but it's not the right point in the story or series. A writer can't throw in every good idea they have just because it's a good idea. Hell, the idea could be downright brilliant, but if it doesn't work then it isn't the right idea. I've had to cut some epic plot points from many of my stories because they just wouldn't work right. The point is to hold onto those ideas for a later story.

Exactly, and DmC is a prime case. Developer's not making games for fans isn't an excuse to just add in whatever they want for the sake of their own enjoyment in making a game and ignore the demands of the masses. Really, I think Capcom is focusing on the wrong thing when it comes to DMC. They've always seemed to go for the "cool" factor, but DMC was never "cool," just unique and that's what made it famous. If they just added more depth into every aspect of the franchise other than gaming, DMC would get probably even more recognition than it does now.

DreadnoughtDT

God of Hyperdeath
Premium
Supporter 2014
Why can't we just wait for the game to come out before we debate extensively? That way we'll actually have a medium to discuss over instead of waiting for new trailers and interviews.

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Why can't we just wait for the game to come out before we debate extensively? That way we'll actually have a medium to discuss over instead of waiting for new trailers and interviews.
I disagree, I say we nuke everyone talking so there is no extensive debte

Reactions: Meg

Meg

Because we'd have nothing else to talk about. :p

I say, so long as the discussions are mature then go ahead and talk about whatever. Within reason. :lol:

Constantine Zanikos

Goodbye Dante. I will miss you. It is Dante's fault I am as passionate about video games. He is my favorite character. He defined style in action games. And for Tammy Antoniadis to ridicule him and his loyal fan base is unacceptable. Ninja theory is the most overrated developer in the biz with mediocre games at best. I don't care how the game play will be. From capoms irresponsibility to fans. And Ninja theory's arrogant and disrespectful approach on such beloved icon all true fans must boycott

Agility

"Known"
When you are starting a new IP there are no fans for it. Therefore, FREEDOM to create a game...let's call it Devil May Cry.

Dante47

Goodbye Dante. I will miss you. It is Dante's fault I am as passionate about video games. He is my favorite character. He defined style in action games. And for Tammy Antoniadis to ridicule him and his loyal fan base is unacceptable. Ninja theory is the most overrated developer in the biz with mediocre games at best. I don't care how the game play will be. From capoms irresponsibility to fans. And Ninja theory's arrogant and disrespectful approach on such beloved icon all true fans must boycott
Don't revive dead threads. So don't give me a lame excuse, like...
how-i-feel-when-people-complain-about-reposts---1310796008-8539.jpg

Because that's bullshit. Seriously, we don't need threads revived that no one has replied to in five months.

Rumors

As a graphic designer i must say this.

- Ninja Theory is unquestionably one of the best storytelling company ever.
- Stage/city designs and its mood are truly awesome.

Mr Taini did pretty good on design of those.
Enslaved characters and robotic bosses and stages are amazing. Same goes with Heavnly Sword.

But in DmC he and they made the probably worst choices ever.
Dante,Kat and Vergil are unfortunetely terrible on design.

Basicly Tameem said :
- Hey Alex, you know Dante and Vergil from dmc. We are gonna make a realistic story. So i dont want ''final fantasy''-ish character designs and faces. Redesing them. Vergil is rich, Dante is dirty.

But Tameem forgot to say ''They are younger and stylish'' i guess.
Cuz both Dante and Vergil looks 35 years old.
Vergils face is also fat and looks weird.

The DmC world/stage designs still pretty good.
But i must admit they really screwed it up about Dante and Vergil designs.
I dont care so much about their appearance, but i understand the rage of fans. They are not just ''haters''. Sadly they have some points about it.

But its the only dissapointment about the game. Because everything else (the world,gameplay,trailers,cutscenes,music) feels ''quality''.
Also facial movements and lips moves are beyond good.

And im still aganist 30fps tech. ( difference between 60fps and 30fps >> http://frames-per-second.appspot.com )
I know they have some technicial lack of sufficient qualifications.(on hardware)
And Enslaved had great colors but frame rate was terrible like a bad cartoon.

Overall:
Sadly bad choices (Mr Taini never failed before) on char desings.
Great story,music,stage,boss designs.
Great new and creative gameplay

But i support them.
They have only 3 games and this studio is gonna be a legend if they keep being better.

HailTheKing

Battousai The Manslayer

crying-reason_o_150212.jpg

Razyel

Soul Reaver
Now now people still arguing about the 30 fps - 60 fps. It's a minor lack that actually gives more than it takes. Besides I'd rather take 30 fps anyday than 60 fps and occasional framerate drops...

Devil Player

Now now people still arguing about the 30 fps - 60 fps. It's a minor lack that actually gives more than it takes. Besides I'd rather take 30 fps anyday than 60 fps and occasional framerate drops...

I agree 100%. I'm still impressed with the combat, so far...It looks a lot more fluid than it was some months ago...The frame drop still worries me, though...

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall

Why would you bring back a topic that was dead before? And what's worse, you bring it back only to complain about the change? You could have done that in recent forums, Y'know.:/

KenKen

Gorram Browncoat
Let's be serious now.

Look at Gregaman from Capcom-Unity and DomVS from the Ninja Theory forums.
As they have said before, their entire job is to relay fan input on DmC.

The rumor that expert gamers were being brought in to test DmC turned out to be true.

They have changed lines of dialogue and character designs based on negative reception and made sure the combat is up to par.

To say that they completely ignore the fans would be misinterpreting the article entirely.

Zilla

The inFAAMous
Because we'd have nothing else to talk about. :p

I say, so long as the discussions are mature then go ahead and talk about whatever. Within reason. :lol:
That's a sweet picture of Ornstein, Meg. (Killing him last is infinitely more challenging than killing him first!)

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I would say it is a tricky slope because you cant please everybody so someone is gonna be dissapointed with you do.

For example- If i finish up nero's storyline, the fans who hate them would groan. If i retcon Nero out the fans who like him would groan.

plus you could also make the argument that DMC3 was the wrong direction because it ignored or didnt answer any of the lingering questions 2 had and added inconsistencies to the plot.

Constantine Zanikos

I would say it is a tricky slope because you cant please everybody so someone is gonna be dissapointed with you do.

For example- If i finish up nero's storyline, the fans who hate them would groan. If i retcon Nero out the fans who like him would groan.

plus you could also make the argument that DMC3 was the wrong direction because it ignored or didnt answer any of the lingering questions 2 had and added inconsistencies to the plot.
I hate this new version

Top Bottom