• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Reuben Interview

WolfOD64

That Guy Who Hates Fox McCloud
I'm not saying that's the case (though in all honesty, it wouldn't surprise me either, if it was), and frankly I don't care much about it, but the point wasn't that as much as the fact that Tim Phillips, to the vast majority of the fans is like the embodiment of the most hated and unwanted Dante in the franchise's history, so him coming to DMC wouldn't be seen kindly and would already start off the game reception with the wrong foot.

Fans always tend to associate actors with the characters they portray, it's inevitable and the performers have to deal with it all the time. It's a blessing for some, and a curse for others.
Then that really has more to do with how the fanbase perceives him, not anything he's actually done. And trust me, I think for the man's own safety, he probably shouldn't reprise the role anytime soon for that exact reason. So I definitely agree.

Although I, at least, can say I don't have that problem with any voice actor. I hate Reuben's performance in DMC3, but I'm not about to associate him with everything I hate about the game...especially when he did such a better job protraying the character in The Animated Series, MvC, and DMC4. I guess watching him improve on multiple performances tempered my appreciation for him.

I don't think other fans will be that patient if Tim did the same, though.

WolfOD64

But I wasn't saying he "actually did" anything. :laugh:
I was talking about fan perception the whole time.
Oh, I know. I wasn't talking about you, I was referring to fan perception as well...no worries. :thumbsup:

It's so weird, because I love DMC4 more than most are capable of, and I'm probably one of the most angry when it comes to Capcom rebooting the series and abandoning the landmine of open-ended questions they left, and yet I don't have the same vitriolic impulses that a lot of people reserve for Tim Phillips or Ninja Theory themselves.
I definitely dislike Taneem, but that comes from his history on Ninja Theory well before DmC. And even, just seeing him or Tim doesn't light some instinctive fuse to associate them with the "tainting of DMC."

I can still separate them as people just working on their own thing.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I just want another DMC game so we'd have something substantial to talk about again. Say what you will about TGS10 but it got people talking and theorizing and unfortunately fighting and we need that fire again.

What it is and what it is should be doesn't matter to me, just as long as its interesting and fun. So DMC x DmC, DMC5, DmC2, DMC x Bayonetta or DMCxDOAxNinga Gaiden. Heck if Darkstalkers ever gets a new game and Dante is not in it that is a wasted opportunity because that would be the easiest crossover to write/sell in my opinion.

I'm not against a new lead but I don't think DMC is that strong a world to support stories outside of Dante and Sparda and Dante is too iconic to replace right now. You'd have to create someone who could compete and be equally interesting by being different and thats something they havent done yet. Maybe they can and it be an interesting artistic challenge but i dont know if they'd want to do it again.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'm probably one of the most angry when it comes to Capcom rebooting the series and abandoning the landmine of open-ended questions they left
This is something you're going to have to get used to. If there is a DMC5, in whatever shape or form it might take, you have to get used to the idea that it won't be there to answer whatever questions 4 left you with just like how 4 didn't answer any questions that 3 left you with. Each iteration will do what it will and won't be anchored by the previous title.

This is also one of the huge complaints I have about Capcom in general and how they treat their franchises because after P* left RE stopped having a uniformed experience and every game is sort of their own little thing which bares so little relevance with the others. RE:Rev, for example, is down right slapstick a lot of the time and bare almost no resemblance to 5. Same with 6. This is the issue DMC has had since the beginning, none of the games have are uniformly similar, they are all basically their own thing changing in tone, esthetiques and motifs; even Dante doesn't look the same in any game, a complete change of face for every game. At least he's recognizable, but if you take Dante out of the game neither the environments nor enemies would look like they're from the same series, which is especially prominent from 3 to 4 and from 4 to m.

My point is don't get too attached to the things you want from a previous game to make a return, they never do.

I just want another DMC game so we'd have something substantial to talk about again. Say what you will about TGS10 but it got people talking and theorizing and unfortunately fighting and we need that fire again.
Which in it self says a lot more about MvCI's presence and perception than anything, really. When 3 was announced people were static about Dante but with there was just a few days of discussion and I have barely seen anyone bring up anything on it anywhere, well, anything that isn't the face and asking what happened. Here we are, desperate and hungry for anything DMC related and the only thing on the horizon is just... I haven't the words.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
My only hope is that this forum doesn't shut down. I often like coming here. Plus this is more or less the first forum I've ever been a part of for so long, so I'd hate to see it go.

berto

I Saw the Devil
TGS is around corner, DMC5 announcement , calling it now
Oh, to be young and full of hope for the future. I was like you, once, ready to believe DMC would come with every conversion or event, but as the years went DMC never came... Now, here I sit, warning other travelers that the stairs they chose to climb have no top but they hear me not.

But, seriously, hope for the best but don't get your hopes up too much. I've been there and it's surprising how much the disappointment stings when nothing comes of it.

WolfOD64

You're never too old to have your hopes and dreams crushed.
It's not age. It's endurance.

I've already had Disney destroy most of my hopes and dreams with my favorite franchise in existence...I won't put enough faith in Capcom just so they can destroy the rest.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
TGS is around corner, DMC5 announcement , calling it now

giphy.gif

I've already had Disney destroy most of my hopes and dreams with my favorite franchise in existence..

Same, except instead of a series, it was a cinematic universe of my once favorite team of superheroes.

Meg

To anyone worried about this forums' future, don't. @Steve Powell has a plan to make sure it lasts forever. And when I say forever, I do literally mean forever. What is this plan you ask? Well I asked him myself, and while I didn't understand any of the technobabble, I was able to discern buckets of spinach, a cotton candy maker, a vacuum, and his left shoe are all integral pieces of his mad scheme.

So no worries. We'll be around forever. And when I say "we," I include myself. For I am actually an everlasting omnipotent force of nature.

That was a joke. I'm actually a twenty-something weirdo living in the United States and works a boring office job like a billion other peopl-

I mean I am the supreme! Do not mess with me!

:wink:

EDIT: What the heck was the point of this post? I'm tired guys. Peace out.

berto

I Saw the Devil

Yeah, how about that stuff with the dub of the anime being the last ADV production and how it was literally the first take for every performance... and stuff.

Reactions: Meg

aoshi

Damn, How come older games like Street fighter survived the time and DMC didn't. Resident evil has got so much going on.Does this mean the end of Devil May Cry? WTF Itsuno, pull yourself together and come out with a plan for future of DMC. Jus having an artwork say "see you in the next Devil May Cry" should mean something if you're actually planning a game.

Top Bottom