• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Info on DmC Reboot(Possibly..)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg

Annnnd IN BEFORE IT TURNS UGLY!

Let's not fight ok? Everyone has a valid point here. To me, I'm not sure if I trust the wiki, but it wouldn't surprise me if this new DmC is just a one and done. Kinda like a "what if?" game. I don't get why it has to be labelled DmC and not just be an original game, but who really knows what Ninja Theory and Capcom are thinking right now?

SpawnShooter

This partys getting crazy
I know this isn't topic related but we all need to calm the hell down, I think where we have been waiting so long for this, any news would be realy good or realy bad depending on perspective and we've gotten so heated about our opinions were insulting each other? everyone's usually so respectful and friendly we shouldn't let any news good or bad get us at each others throats(or keyboards)

moseslmpg

To Gambit: It isn't illogical at all. Of course a few words can change something.

Just think of this as a test, a superhard exam your teacher gave you. At the end you are all worried and everything, but then she says "this does not count for your final grade, it was just practice." This is what this new info is saying, this isn't the real DMC, the real DMC is still alright, so don't worry.

If you want to push your point though, I can point out how illogical it is for you to support this game just because it has the words Dante and DMC in it, while retaining nothing of the series. Perhaps you should reconsider branding us hypocrites and examine your own motivations.

To everyone: Nothing is getting heated here, not for me anyway. We are just talking.

moseslmpg

We aren't arguing...

Arguments aren't evil, people. They are a natural part of life. Learn to love and accept them.

Edit: BTW, the crux of disagreement at this point is that some people like the game DMC and some people like the name DMC. I am of the former variety, and I don't think that we should be disparaged because of that.

SpawnShooter

I do enjoy a good debate, its much more civilized than arguing
(sounds well posh, considering im drinking a cup of tea in England:))

moseslmpg

The thing about debates is that you need someone who can or is willing to elevate themselves above mere argument. I'd say there's maybe 10 people, tops, here who would be willing to actually debate.

But anyway, we aren't having a debate or an argument.

bobek388

Bobek388
OMG crapcom and this other thing are so stupid!! If they want to completely change the game, make it in another universe, totally different so that it hasn't any impact on the DMC story, WHY THE HELL DID THEY CALL IT DMC????
I waited so many years to just see a different game with the same name?! I'm so angry!!

GamblingGambitCloud

LoD Come Back!!!
i dont like it just because it's Dante or DMC....i like it because it is a very interesting looking game...and besides they've worked hard on this...they deserve some support for that.....i mean...if this is analogous to a test....then imagine working super hard on it and then ur teacher looks at it and says it's crap without even reading the entire answer u've given....we know nothing about this game to judge it so harshly.....but thats not wat bugs me....im fine with leaving u to ur close mind and not post here anymore...but i take offense to the word emo when this label is being used solely on his appearance...i dress like that...i am not emo....i am happy with life and everything actually....emos arent...now...the only way to really tell if a person is is by looking at their personality...and since people aren't giving the game a chance and have only seen ONE trailer...there is no way to tell anything about his personality

SpawnShooter

Hey GGC Ive noticed you've taken a lot of the comments quite personally, I'm sure no one meant any offence to you nor anyone and if anything i said has upset you i apologize :)

Dante's Stalker

"Outrun this!"
Premium
Supporter 2014
True, I'm with GGC. They stated that the game has been in development for well over a year which in itself means the game is going to be bloody good. Nobody will be able to make a final judgement call on it until they play it.

Btw, Moses, if you feel GGC is trolling then DON'T FEED THE TROLL! The staff has put it out there to just report trolls to them, and not to interact with them or encourage them. And if you feel his comments are going to drive you up the walls, use the ignore function until the buzz dies down. Just do it and spare all of us, yourself included, the negative vibes.

Back on topic.
First a 'new' Dante, then a reboot, and now an alternative universe?
This keeps getting better and better!

moseslmpg

Chloe_Ryder;274325 said:
True, I'm with GGC. They stated that the game has been in development for well over a year which in itself means the game is going to be bloody good. Nobody will be able to make a final judgement call on it until they play it.
To me, whether it is good or not is irrelevant. It isn't DMC. It's like telling me the new GOW game is good. I'll just go "that's nice."
Btw, Moses, if you feel GGC is trolling then DON'T FEED THE TROLL! The staff has put it out there to just report trolls to them, and not to interact with them or encourage them. And if you feel his comments are going to drive you up the walls, use the ignore function until the buzz dies down. Just do it and spare all of us, yourself included, the negative vibes.
I actually don't feel he is trolling, just being a bit obnoxious with his comments, which is his right, as it is my right to tell him to stop being obnoxious with them. It is one thing to support DINO but it is another thing to ram your support down everyone's throats. I'm not concerned though, people get hysterical when new games are announced, it is a kind of madness which blinds one to the finer details. Alas.

Anyway, back to waiting for DMC5...

Asmodaius

Let's face it people... The original storyline is a mess. They have us jumping back and forth in time during the series with their attempts to explain why Dante is Dante, why the world is full of demons, who Sparda is etc.

I can understand why they want to make a reboot and simply start over and giving Dante a make-over to state "We start anew!". So people, enjoy the past games and don't forget about them, but give these changes a chance before you say "I don't like it."...

The game could be awesome, the game could suck - we don't know yet! They've released -one- teaser trailer. So relax, take a deep breath and see what else they have come up with for this new title in the series. It is still Devil May Cry and it is still Dante, just with some changes.

Vampi

The thing is you just can't expect people to abandon a series storyline which ended abruptly without no answers. DMC 4 was filled with plotholes, and a novel whose canon was in question was only released in Japan.

Stories that abruptly end with no good conclusion works mostly for comic books or canceled TV shows. But with games its much different, especially when you plan on rebooting it. Capcom should've finished what they started and told us who Nero was and what happen to Dante after DMC 2. Once that series ended its story to a good conclusion then it would've been a perfect time to introduce a reboot.

Its just bad timing and an unnecessary time for a reboot. They should've just ended the current storyline with Nero's origin and Dante's final mission and all would've been fine, since we would have a fond farewell of the old Dante so we could prepare for a new Dante.

Asmodaius

Vampi;274567 said:
The thing is you just can't expect people to abandon a series storyline which ended abruptly without no answers. DMC 4 was filled with plotholes, and a novel whose canon was in question was only released in Japan.

Stories that abruptly end with no good conclusion works mostly for comic books or canceled TV shows. But with games its much different, especially when you plan on rebooting it. Capcom should've finished what they started and told us who Nero was and what happen to Dante after DMC 2. Once that series ended its story to a good conclusion then it would've been a perfect time to introduce a reboot.

Its just bad timing and an unnecessary time for a reboot. They should've just ended the current storyline with Nero's origin and Dante's final mission and all would've been fine, since we would have a fond farewell of the old Dante so we could prepare for a new Dante.

Again, I am not asking people to abandon, ignore or forget anything. I am merely asking people to be more open about DmC5.

Also, Capcom aren't obliged to do anything. The plotholes are annoying, yes, but if they don't wish to fill in those holes then that is their choice. Yes, it is annoying... And I too think it is annoying. I would like to know what happened in between the games as well. You mentioned a novel, perhaps that explains a few things. Many game series expands and explains plotholes in novels, so maybe they should do that to wrap up the original storyline as they obviously won't do it through a new game.

With that said, then there are other game series who has many more plotholes in their games which are never explained. Perhaps Devil May Cry will join that fray. It sucks, yes, but that doesn't make the games less good. They're still good games. And I am sure this next DMC will be good as well.

Vampi

Its DmC. Not DMC 5. Capcom said this has nothing to do with the numbered series. You can't treat it as a sequel/prequel when its not.

Of course they're obligated, they're obligated to the consumer to give us what we want. That's what we give them money for, for our entertainment and that hopefully we'll stick with their brand so they can garner more money from us.

And not filling in the plotholes is just carelessness and shows they don't care for what the loyal fans think who have been with the series from the first game. Its an utter lack of respect not only to the fans but to the series as well. Maybe if they filled the plotholes from the pass games people wouldn't be so angry about this reboot since we knew that the original series storyline ended.

The novel in i'm referring to (DMC 4 novel) brought up more questions then answered them. Relying on a novel that's only available in one country is not a good way to go about things, especially in a language not alot of people can read or understand. If they only wanted the DMC series as just a way to crank out novels, then why bother making any of the games if that was their purpose.

Yes there are sum games that have big plotholes, but that doesn't mean DMC has to be in that group. The first question a gaming journalist ask a developer of a new game is "So what's the story of the game?" and mostly all developers try to not divulge the storyline of the game since that nowadays storyline is much more important then gameplay.

Just look at God of War for example, a game that's so repetitive that sumtimes you don't even need to change weapons just to get through the game. The reason GOW is so successful sumwhat is its narrative and its consistancy of filling up gaps in the story. We can't rely on gameplay alone like back in the 80's and early 90's, it just wouldn't be acceptable by today's standards.

By saying "I don't want people to ignore the past games" you're just leading people into false hope. We have to ignore the past games since we can't treat this game as a true sequel/prequel to the original series.

Like i said, its fine that you support this game, i'm curious about it to i'm not saying anything negative about it. But saying that DMC fans shouldn't ignore the pass games but then accept this game as part of the series is misleading people.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Capcom issued a statement clarifing that this game takes place in a different universe, as it is being developed by a different developer from previous titles of the franchise, and will not affect any story elements already established by the classic series
So what's everyone's problem again? I can understand if they'd released it as DMC 5 but seeing as it's not, what is all the raging for across the boards?

Barking. Absolutely barking.

Asmodaius

Vampi;274591 said:
Its DmC. Not DMC 5. Capcom said this has nothing to do with the numbered series. You can't treat it as a sequel/prequel when its not.

Of course they're obligated, they're obligated to the consumer to give us what we want. That's what we give them money for, for our entertainment and that hopefully we'll stick with their brand so they can garner more money from us.

And not filling in the plotholes is just carelessness and shows they don't care for what the loyal fans think who have been with the series from the first game. Its an utter lack of respect not only to the fans but to the series as well. Maybe if they filled the plotholes from the pass games people wouldn't be so angry about this reboot since we knew that the original series storyline ended.

The novel in i'm referring to (DMC 4 novel) brought up more questions then answered them. Relying on a novel that's only available in one country is not a good way to go about things, especially in a language not alot of people can read or understand. If they only wanted the DMC series as just a way to crank out novels, then why bother making any of the games if that was their purpose.

Yes there are sum games that have big plotholes, but that doesn't mean DMC has to be in that group. The first question a gaming journalist ask a developer of a new game is "So what's the story of the game?" and mostly all developers try to not divulge the storyline of the game since that nowadays storyline is much more important then gameplay.

Just look at God of War for example, a game that's so repetitive that sumtimes you don't even need to change weapons just to get through the game. The reason GOW is so successful sumwhat is its narrative and its consistancy of filling up gaps in the story. We can't rely on gameplay alone like back in the 80's and early 90's, it just wouldn't be acceptable by today's standards.

By saying "I don't want people to ignore the past games" you're just leading people into false hope. We have to ignore the past games since we can't treat this game as a true sequel/prequel to the original series.

Like i said, its fine that you support this game, i'm curious about it to i'm not saying anything negative about it. But saying that DMC fans shouldn't ignore the pass games but then accept this game as part of the series is misleading people.

Ah, I misunderstood you then, my apologies. I did not mean that DmC should be considered as part of the series storyline we know, as you said, Capcom has stated that it is not. What I meant was that fans of the past games shouldn't completely throw this new title out the window before even giving it a chance. There are elements of the Devil May Cry series in this game, and though it is not a continuation of the former storyline, then it -is- the next game in the series. I call it DmC5 so people know what game it is I am talking about, and also because it is the fifth Devil May Cry game.

But yes, it is a reboot and has its own storyline. I did not mean to mislead anyone, I hope you understand that.

There is a similar discussion on another forum I am on, about the upcoming Mortal Kombat game. They too are making a reboot of sorts where they go back and change the former storyline of the first three titles of the series. However, what they are doing is that this reboot is an actual continuation of the main storyline... They have Raiden, a thunder god and the protector of Earth, who is sending a warning to his past self about the Armageddon that has befallen the numerous realms within the game. This Raiden of the past will then do what he can to avoid Armageddon...

My point in saying this is that the MK fanbase was also dubious about this sudden change of the storyline they have come to love, but they gave t a chance to prove itself. Some gameplay footage later, and more and more fans seem more excited about it. I hope the same will happen when we learn more of DmC.

And before you say anything... Yes, Mortal Kombat is a fighting game and fighting games are not known for their storylines, but MK is one of the games who have some deep lore that has only evolved throughout the series. I dare even say it has more lore than Devil May Cry does.
-gets ready to be yelled at and thrown rotten tomatoes at-

Vampi

There are sum things that look similar to the original DMC, but its not. Other games in the past have either tried or blatantly copied from DMC's gameplay formula. Why didn't we give those games a chance? Why should DMC fans give this game a chance when the gameplay (from what we've seen so far. I'm not saying the actions scenes that we saw in the trailer are what how the actual gameplay look like. But trailers are there to give us an idea of what the game is) look nothing like the original.

From what i saw of the trailer the gameplay looked rather slow in sum parts and not as stylish as the original DMC. If you put like say DMC 3 Dante's gameplay next to this games idea of their DMC gameplay, the Ninja Theory game would look tame by comparison compared to the over the top lunacy the past DMC games evoked.

This is not the next DMC game. This is a new IP, a new game, a new series. Like i said before, you can't treat it as a sequel/prequel to the numbered games. You have to treat it as a new game.

Mega Man games do this all the time. If i say i like Mega Man X series and you say you like Mega Man Legends. I wouldn't say to you "Oh you like the X series to. Cool!". Of course not, since you said you like the Mega Man Legends series not the X series. The same could be said about DMC. I could say "I love DMC 5" and you could say "Well i love DmC Devil May Cry". I wouldn't presume that you liked DMC 5 just cause you said the words DMC or Devil May Cry. See what i'm saying here? The titles might have the same name or sound similar, but its not the same series.

I don't know much about MK's storyline and such, but MK is much different then DMC. MK doesn't involve a quest with other characters and doesn't have cutscenes every few minutes or so to evolve the storyline. The storyline for MK is just filler, it can be easily ignored since you can team up Liu Kang with Shang Tsung when you're playing the game and have no consequences to the storyline and such.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom