• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New DmC Trailer.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Just because the original DMC did some of those things doesn't make it a good thing. :p And all those things were spread out, this trailer had all that and more in two minutes. It seemed way to forced.
A trailer doesn't have the option to spread out the content. It has to clearly show the important parts of what it is showing in a shorter period of time than the real thing and that feeling of trying to be cool has been 90% of Dante's personality for half the series. Including that type of behavior shows that Dante retains the personality of the original instead of having an "emo" personality (which is what most fans expected after the first trailer). The positive reaction to this trailer comes from a sense of relief that as different as the new Dante is he is still Dante in spirit as well as in name.(I realized that the new one would be the same as the original since the second trailer but even I can't help but be relieved by this trailer I can't imagine how good it must feel to see it after expecting a generic angry "emo" charicter for years)

berto

I Saw the Devil
You know what's weird? RE6 is at 50% completion and it's do in November. DmC was at 50% a few months ago. This should be a good sign. I know there are other factors but there should be a possitive light to this info.

ReRave

smug jerk
berto has a point:
Either they are struggling with their team or they're finetuning it for a long time now, which would be a very good sign.

The release date is fixed for 2012, but when exactly will that be? When does E3 usually take place?
I'd say it will be either an October-release or maybe late November. Then again, wishful thinking makes me want to believe, it might come out as early as in two weeks. :D

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
berto has a point:
Either they are struggling with their team or they're finetuning it for a long time now, which would be a very good sign.
The level they have been showing was basically everything we've seen before just all nice and neat and ready to go and a lot of people though the world changing was only going to be in the background. When you put both game play trailers together, there is a lot of stuff happening, stuff that only Unreal engine could pull off, like the streets being ripped away and everytime you get close to something it shrivels up and contorts itself. I wonder if you stand in place too long will the walls actually crush you? I sure hope so. And i cannot wait to see how much detail they put in for the rest of the game.

RE6 must of been in the works as soon as 5 came out, its like that for a lot of games. Uncharted 3 started before Uncharted 2 was released. Sometimes games need attention and sometimes more attention is a good thing, sometimes.

berto

I Saw the Devil
RE6 must of been in the works as soon as 5 came out, its like that for a lot of games. Uncharted 3 started before Uncharted 2 was released. Sometimes games need attention and sometimes more attention is a good thing, sometimes.
Yeah, that's usually how it goes but RE5 is a 2009 game. If they're only at 50% of the game after 2 years then it'll be another 2 years before we see it released, not November.

wallenb

Humanoid Typhoon
Yeah, that's usually how it goes but RE5 is a 2009 game. If they're only at 50% of the game after 2 years then it'll be another 2 years before we see it released, not November.
I think the hardest part in making the game is programming, then comes the research for concepts and a lot of writing. Once the foundation is laid, it will take about a year to finish. Depending on the size of their team because a lot of the work could be spread out. Like the Assassin's Creed spin offs. Part 3 was in development since part 2 was finished, but with the sales of part 2 and the tiny little changes in brotherhood and Revolutions(i think its called that) They probably just had a small team with the same writer to expand the story a little more, all the while creating a new traversal system for #3 and probably a new battle system.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
Ok, so for those who think the trailer sucks great big hairy space hoppers - how would YOU do it?

Bearing in mind it is a TRAILER and NOT a dev diary or 8 minute video showcasing gameplay.

Personally I think it must be quite tricky putting together a trailer of just a couple of minutes which tries to encapsulate the attitude, style, action, story and drama of a game but seeing as so many of you hate what NT have produced, why not say how you would change or improve it and make it better?

Virago

Not listening.
Ok, so for those who think the trailer sucks great big hairy space hoppers - how would YOU do it?

Bearing in mind it is a TRAILER and NOT a dev diary or 8 minute video showcasing gameplay.

Personally I think it must be quite tricky putting together a trailer of just a couple of minutes which tries to encapsulate the attitude, style, action, story and drama of a game but seeing as so many of you hate what NT have produced, why not say how you would change or improve it and make it better?

Duh, give Dante white hair and have him scream "WHOO HOOO This is one CRAZYYYY PARTY!"

Ah, and almost forgot. Make sure he's a chaste hero who never drinks, smokes or deviates from the path of good and true, expect when killing demons in the most over-the-top way possible.

Tiran

The great pretender.
Duh, give Dante white hair and have him scream "WHOO HOOO This is one CRAZYYYY PARTY!"

Ah, and almost forgot. Make sure he's a chaste hero who never drinks, smokes or deviates from the path of good and true, expect when killing demons in the most over-the-top way possible.

Um, Dante doesn't smoke, but he sure as hell does drink. The proof is right on his desk and strewn all over his disgusting office.

Tgs-dmc4-002.jpg

mrrandomlulz

Monsuuuta moonssuta mo mo mo mo monsuuta
Um, Dante doesn't smoke, but he sure as hell does drink. The proof is right on his desk and strewn all over his disgusting office.

Tgs-dmc4-002.jpg

lol Trish is like "Those two so dated way back then"
And the way Dante stares at Lady says "something" went on between them (or between them in Dante's bed)

No don't make old Dante a mary sue, just give him, white hair and make him awesome and I'm good

I feel ya bro i feel ya!
internet-high-five-place-hand-here.jpg
scan0003.jpg

EDIT:Whoops Double post

Meg

A trailer doesn't have the option to spread out the content. It has to clearly show the important parts of what it is showing in a shorter period of time than the real thing and that feeling of trying to be cool has been 90% of Dante's personality for half the series. Including that type of behavior shows that Dante retains the personality of the original instead of having an "emo" personality (which is what most fans expected after the first trailer). The positive reaction to this trailer comes from a sense of relief that as different as the new Dante is he is still Dante in spirit as well as in name.(I realized that the new one would be the same as the original since the second trailer but even I can't help but be relieved by this trailer I can't imagine how good it must feel to see it after expecting a generic angry "emo" charicter for years)
Sorry, but I still think the trailer is forced and tries too hard. :p

How would I make it better? The problem with the trailer isn't that it's over the top, it's that its too over the top. That is what makes it forced. Tone it down a bit. Don't have the guy say "sexual deviant." Dante having writing on his arm is a subtle indicator of what he did last night. Instead of having him flat out say he has a hangover, show beer bottles or something. (Not sure if they did, but I didn't see any.)

Also, the naked bit? Also trying to hard. Have him already wearing pants so when he flies through the room it isn't obnoxious. Instead it just looks cool that he's flying through his house and manages to pull on his shirt. Or, if you want another subtle indicator that he had sex the night before would be to show him pulling the pants on when he opens the door and gets blasted with sun light.

Also, the DMC3 pose at the end needs to be gotten rid of. It tries to hard. Or maybe show it, but at a different angle. Like from the side so you can see Dante, maybe with his foot on the demon's head, swinging down in epicness.

One thing the trailer does do right is when Dante is running through the ferris wheel, puts his coat on, lands and says "sweet." The words "FACE YOUR DEMONS" flashing help make this scene awesome. This is what I'm talking about. It's a cool scene without having to try too hard.

So yeah, that's what I would do. I'd tone it down in a way that keeps the attitude but isn't so in-your-face.

ZeroLove

I like how Dante's attitude is so much in-your-face. The trailer is provocative and pushes people's limits which I think is awesome. Why tone it down just to please the prude when you can go all out!

Gbraga

You know what's weird? RE6 is at 50% completion and it's do in November. DmC was at 50% a few months ago. This should be a good sign. I know there are other factors but there should be a possitive light to this info.
Just a correction, RE6 will now be release on october 2nd :)

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Sorry, but I still think the trailer is forced and tries too hard. :p

How would I make it better? The problem with the trailer isn't that it's over the top, it's that its too over the top. That is what makes it forced. Tone it down a bit. Don't have the guy say "sexual deviant." Dante having writing on his arm is a subtle indicator of what he did last night. Instead of having him flat out say he has a hangover, show beer bottles or something. (Not sure if they did, but I didn't see any.)

Also, the naked bit? Also trying to hard. Have him already wearing pants so when he flies through the room it isn't obnoxious. Instead it just looks cool that he's flying through his house and manages to pull on his shirt. Or, if you want another subtle indicator that he had sex the night before would be to show him pulling the pants on when he opens the door and gets blasted with sun light.

Also, the DMC3 pose at the end needs to be gotten rid of. It tries to hard. Or maybe show it, but at a different angle. Like from the side so you can see Dante, maybe with his foot on the demon's head, swinging down in epicness.

One thing the trailer does do right is when Dante is running through the ferris wheel, puts his coat on, lands and says "sweet." The words "FACE YOUR DEMONS" flashing help make this scene awesome. This is what I'm talking about. It's a cool scene without having to try too hard.

So yeah, that's what I would do. I'd tone it down in a way that keeps the attitude but isn't so in-your-face.
Most of those changes would probably be an improvement but I dissagree with two things.
1. Bob calling Dante a sexual deviant is important. It shows what the public thinks of Dante and shows that his enemies are trying to make Dante sound as bad as possible.(it might just seem like a bad joke to us but to people in that world it is another reason to hate and fear Dante.)

2. The DMC3 pose is another way to show that NT is paying attention to the previous games in the series and is trying to make DmC an actual Devil May Cry game

Meg

Most of those changes would probably be an improvement but I dissagree with two things.
1. Bob calling Dante a sexual deviant is important. It shows what the public thinks of Dante and shows that his enemies are trying to make Dante sound as bad as possible.(it might just seem like a bad joke to us but to people in that world it is another reason to hate and fear Dante.)
That's actually a really good point. I didn't think of it like that. Thanks. :)

EDIT: It's not really any one thing in the trailer that I have a problem with. It's all of it combined that gives it a very forced feel. But we still haven't seen the end result, so we'll see.

berto

I Saw the Devil
Personally I think it must be quite tricky putting together a trailer of just a couple of minutes which tries to encapsulate the attitude, style, action, story and drama of a game

People do it all the time, it's been done for every game ever made. It was also done for every game that came before this one, all DMC games and the likes.

Angel

Is not rat, is hamster
Admin
People do it all the time, it's been done for every game ever made. It was also done for every game that came before this one, all DMC games and the likes.
I'm aware of that but I also think there is a certain level of underestimation involved when others are too quick to criticise what someone has put together. What may have been intended can be lost in translation somewhat; some people may think something is grossly overdone whereas others may think it has a subtle understated way about it (being non-specific here, before someone tries to get to me to draw examples from this trailer in particular).

I don't believe just anyone can make an excellent trailer. I think it'd be easy enough to make something mediocre, boring or painfully obvious in its intentions - but trailers that make the majority sit up and go, "wow!"? I think that takes a certain amount of artistic flair to achieve. If I'm utterly wrong in this then so be it, but that's how I see things.

Top Bottom