• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

New Dante: How is he an A-hole?

Meg

You're welcome. ^^
:lol:

I love how you didn't feel the need to say anything else in response. I guess that means I stumped you and so you just opted for the easy sarcastic response. Classic. :p

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
I don't think New Dante is realistic at all. Old Dante is a straight up caricature. Well at least in DMC3 & 4. You can argue he is his most realistic in the first game. But that's besides the point. *ahem*

New Dante is incredibly unrealistic. He comes of more as this contrived sense of what ignorant people find cool. Getting smashed and bringing home women every night, throwing "f-yous" everywhere, living in a trailer and generally just not giving a crap despite only being like, what, 17? Yeah. Yeah, that's realistic. New Dante honestly comes off as this kind of idealized version of what an idiot would consider a cool lifestyle. Idealized is not realistic.

Isn't old Dante the same way?

Old Dante was pretty much the stereotypical cocky hero everyone wanted to be. He was cocky and a goof, but still the bad boy with a kind heart kind of guy. Though that was cool in 1, it didn't really carry within 4, cause he got clowny and anime
generic.

New Dante to me isn't all that realistic either, but he represents what is cool now compared to back then. An asshole of now instead of the asshole back then. And sometimes being the asshole back then doesn't always sound as cool now. especially when you're selling to a western gaming world, where old Dante will get chewed up and spit out character wise.

Meg

Old Dante was pretty much the stereotypical cocky hero everyone wanted to be. He was cocky and a goof, but still the bad boy with a kind heart kind of guy. Though that was cool in 1, it didn't really carry within 4, cause he got clowny and anime
generic.

New Dante to me isn't all that realistic either, but he represents what is cool now compared to back then. An asshole of now instead of the asshole back then. And sometimes being the asshole back then doesn't always sound as cool now. especially when you're selling to a western gaming world, where old Dante will get chewed up and spit out character wise.
I had said multiple times that Dante is incredibly unrealistic, but it was that campy, exaggerated portrayal that made him great to me.

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
Let's just say that old dante is a self-fulfillment character AKA Gary Stu. He is powerful, he got the looks and hangs out with beautiful women. I can't really say anything about the new dante for now but i just got the feeling that this guy will be even more stronger.

And does realism even matter to a demon-slaying game?

DragonMaster2010

I had said multiple times that Dante is incredibly unrealistic, but it was that campy, exaggerated portrayal that made him great to me.

oh okay. So it's really just a matter of taste in character.

I can dig that.^_^

ZeroLove

:lol:

I love how you didn't feel the need to say anything else in response. I guess that means I stumped you and so you just opted for the easy sarcastic response. Classic. :p

No, I agree with your arguement about how some fiction can be realistic. But you have a way of making personal insults at me when disagreeing with me. You did that just as well when I was a regular around here, so instead of entertaining you further, I just made the sarcastic remark to kinda just stop it. So now that you know, I hope we can put this aside and go back to the main topic of the thread.

Let's just say that old dante is a self-fulfillment character AKA Gary Stu. He is powerful, he got the looks and hangs out with beautiful women. I can't really say anything about the new dante for now but i just got the feeling that this guy will be even more stronger.

The realism in DmC is not the existence of demons, but how people would react and live in a world where such beings exists. With everything the new Dante has been through, the death of his mother, not knowing his father, being raised and tortured in an orphanage, being depicted as a criminal in the media while being hunted by demons... To me, the way Dante reacts and his personality in DmC is realistic when thinking about how his life is.

Meg

NT seems to think so. :p

I think it depends. If you do it right then it can be great. But NT isn't doing it right (for me).

oh okay. So it's really just a matter of taste in character.

I can dig that.^_^
Indeed it is. :D

No, I agree with your arguement about how some fiction can be realistic. But you have a way of making personal insults at me when disagreeing with me. You did that just as well when I was a regular around here, so instead of entertaining you further, I just made the sarcastic remark to kinda just stop it. So now that you know, I hope we can put this aside and go back to the main topic of the thread.
I'm trying to find where I insulted you. I don't see it. If I did say something you took offensively then please let me know. Preferably in PMs so we don't derail the thread.

And replying sarcastically can be seen as a flame bait. I seriously doubted that's what you were getting at though. I figured it was more a tease. Either way, if you wanted to end it, you could of just not said anything in response to that statement at all. =]

berto

I Saw the Devil
Really on a tangent now. It's not if he's an a$$hole but rather if he's realistic.

The only realistic... iiiiish character I've ever seen in a video game was James from SH2, and that's still a dramatization. Dante as a character isn't someone you'd run into on the streets of any city or town in the world. He is not real or even realistic on an emotional level.
And no, you don't know me.

Well, cut out the swordfighting and the demonhunting (and all the other supernatural elements), it's been pretty much my life. But people are assholes, they yell f*ck at eachother and many other nasty curses, they jump at eachother and fight for the littlest of reasons, there are even people who shoot one another and kill eachother just because of disagreements.
Living in a world like that f*cks you up in the head. And people like that exists. People are assholes.

If you can identify with Dante that's one thing but I don't think you're like him. You might see alot of yourself, that's one thing, but to say you are similar or like him, I can't say I belive that. Super powers and paranormal origins aside do you go around slaping soda off people on the street or having drunken orgies all night and fighting bouncers at huge clubs? Yeah, no one is. That kinda stuff only happens in movies and even if I don't know you I know a character from a real person any day of the week. The only real people on television are on the news and documentaries.

Yeah, she said that a few times.

Reactions: Meg

Meg

Sarcasm is my sword and shield. However, I shall try and remember this in the future.
I can respect that. :) I do the same thing.

And you know I never try to offend people. I just have an abrasive style of debating. You can let me know whenever I say something that offends you. That goes for everyone.

OT: New Dante is a jackass. Old Dante is an a*shole. SEE! See everyone, I found the difference. :lol:

berto

I Saw the Devil
I'd like to point out that the story will have a proggressive take on Dante, meaning that the whole point of the story is that Dante will eventually transform as the game proggresses in apearence and personality.

I know the issue is about how we see it as it is right now but I thought it was important to remember that.

ZeroLove

Really on a tangent now. It's not if he's an a$$hole but rather if he's realistic.

The only realistic... iiiiish character I've ever seen in a video game was James from SH2, and that's still a dramatization. Dante as a character isn't someone you'd run into on the streets of any city or town in the world. He is not real or even realistic on an emotional level.

If you can identify with Dante that's one thing but I don't think you're like him. You might see alot of yourself, that's one thing, but to say. Super powers and paranormal origins aside do you go around slaping soda off people on the street or having drunken orgies all night and fighting bouncers at huge clubs? Yeah, no one is. That kinda stuff only happens in movies and even if I don't know you I know a character from a real person any day of the week. The only real people on television are on the news and documentaries.

Yeah, she said that a few times.

I've been part of some of those things and I know people who are like that as well. Maybe not all of it in one package, but basically, yeah. Those things don't just happen in movies. Just last night when I was out, celebrating halloween, someone threw empty bottles at a bouncer and tried to stab him, because the bouncer wouldn't let him in.

People are assholes. The new Dante has become one as well, due to the harsh environment he has grown up in. He's the personification of it.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I've been part of some of those things and I know people who are like that as well. Maybe not all of it in one package, but basically, yeah. Those things don't just happen in movies. Just last night when I was out, celebrating halloween, someone threw empty bottles at a bouncer and tried to stab him, because the bouncer wouldn't let him in.

People are assholes. The new Dante has become one as well, due to the harsh environment he has grown up in. He's the personification of it.
Dude, I'm Mexican, I know how dispicable people can get, belive you me. Still doesn't mean Dante is realistic.

Reactions: Meg

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
I live in a third world country so i know too. I'm even sick of my own society...Man, i wish i got a death note :devil:

DragonMaster2010

Dude, I'm Mexican, I know how dispicable people can get, belive you me. Still doesn't mean Dante is realistic.

Gotta agree with Berto., ZeroLove.

New Dante is just a character in a game. He's not a real person. No matter how hard NT tries with DmC, they can never recreate real human emotions into a character, because people react to things differently. Yes new Dante is a dramazation of people with a bad life, or as I call new Dante's life "His Fonz life," but people react to things differently then how new Dante reacts.

I'm black, I'vs seen how some people of my race are, and trust me, new Dante doesn't act like that.

But this isn't a "who's life has it worse" thread.

Meg

But this isn't a "who's life has it worse" thread.

Is it weird when I read this I immediately thought of Whose Line is it Anyway? Welcome to Whose Life is Worse Anyway? A show were everything is made up and points don't matter. :lol:

!!!!

Oh my gosh. Guys. Guys, holy crap. Do any of you remember those video game Whose Line spoofs I used to do? I just came up with the next one.

ZeroLove

What is it you don't find realistic?

He's held his dead mother in his arms when he was a child.
He doesn't seem to know who his father is.
He's been raised at an orphanage.
He's been tortured at the orphanage.
He's posted in the media as a terrorist.
He's hunted by demons.

All things considered, don't you find the way Dante is as realistic? When thinking about the things he's been through?

He knows demons are producing this Virility stuff to control humans, so he slaps it out of some fat guys hand and tells him to quit drinking it or else it would kill him.
He knows the bouncer works for the demons, so he smacks him up when he won't let him in.
He gives the cameras the finger and throws bricks at them to provoke the demons who are watching him.

He's angry, he hates demons, he has authority issues, he deals with this reality he lives in by being sarcastic and being a smartass, and he knows that he has supernatural powers, so he provokes the demons who are after him to get some of all that frustration out, picking fights with them, not just because he knows that killing demons is the right thing to do, but because he gets some sadistic feeling of revenge out of it as well. The world is after him and he responds back in an aggressive way. The world he lives in has made him the asshole he appears to be in the game.

For someone who lives his life, then yeah, I really do think he acts in a realistic way.

Let us turn this around and let me ask you all this...
Considering Dante and the life he lives, what do you think would be the realistic way for him to be like?

Sieghart

"Plough the lilies"
lol this thread is becoming hilarious for some reason.

If we're talking about personality or how he act by the cause, New dante is a little realistic. However, neither old or new dante is really realistic.

DragonMaster2010

What is it you don't find realistic?

He's held his dead mother in his arms when he was a child.
He doesn't seem to know who his father is.
He's been raised at an orphanage.
He's been tortured at the orphanage.
He's posted in the media as a terrorist.
He's hunted by demons.

All things considered, don't you find the way Dante is as realistic? When thinking about the things he's been through?

No. Because if it were me, I'd hang myself from all that darkness happening to me. That or I'd cope and try to make it. But new Dante isn't human so he reacts in a different way.

He knows demons are producing this Virility stuff to control humans, so he slaps it out of some fat guys hand and tells him to quit drinking it or else it would kill him.

Only a really big douchebag in real life would do that. in DmC it's fine cause Dante's not human and can own that fat dude, and it's a game.

He knows the bouncer works for the demons, so he smacks him up when he won't let him in.

We really don't know if that's true. He could have been a part time human who doesn't know about demons.
He gives the cameras the finger and throws bricks at them to provoke the demons who are watching him.

Again; Dante's not human. A normal human would try to stay low from the people after him. Dante doesn't because of his attitude towards demons and...he's not human.

He's angry, he hates demons, he has authority issues, he deals with this reality he lives in by being sarcastic and being a smartass, and he knows that he has supernatural powers, so he provokes the demons who are after him to get some of all that frustration out, picking fights with them, not just because he knows that killing demons is the right thing to do, but because he gets some sadistic feeling of revenge out of it as well. The world is after him and he responds back in an aggressive way. The world he lives in has made him the asshole he appears to be in the game.

For someone who lives his life, then yeah, I really do think he acts in a realistic way.

Yeah, but some of the stuff he does a normal human wouldn't. They would get their anger out by drining, smoking, sex, or random killing.

The game is to show the struggle of street kids and their dark society, in the parody of a young rebel who's been brought up by his demon society.

Let us turn this around and let me ask you all this...
Considering Dante and the life he lives, what do you think would be the realistic way for him to be like?

I can't answer that cause he wouldn't react realisticly cause

1.) He's a video game character and a dramazation of a real punk street kid.

2.) He's a demon/Angel hybrid, and isn't human. Any street kid would probably do what Dante would do, but since they don't they cope with life differently.

Top Bottom