• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Netflix's Death Note

Lain

Earthbound Immortal
Premium
^ I shudder at what Ryuk may look like.

Actually, I wonder how they will explain the whole Shinigami thing in an American setting.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
^ I shudder at what Ryuk may look like.

Actually, I wonder how they will explain the whole Shinigami thing in an American setting.
That's actually really simple because Shinigami are just the Japanese version of Grim Reapers. Besides, like I said before, they weren't part of traditional Japanese mythology in the first place. They date only to the mid 19th century via Europeans images of the grim reaper.

This isn't some concept that is exclusive to Japan.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Sure, it's another case of whitewashing. Even though L is a black guy this time around, and Watari is still Japanese.

FFS man. Stop using that term so loosely when it obviously doesn't apply here.

I was only referring to Light, but like I just said if you actually read my post: I'm tired of talking about whitewashing because the term has grown numb to me to the point where I don't care what race plays what anymore.

Demi-fiend

Metempsychosis
Supporter 2014
I'm tired of talking about whitewashing because the term has grown numb to me to the point where I don't care what race plays what anymore.
So, I can play Vampire Holmes then right?

I'm joking -- in this case (since it's an American setting), it's no different from any other adaptation from a foreign country.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I was only referring to Light, but like I just said if you actually read my post: I'm tired of talking about whitewashing because the term has grown numb to me to the point where I don't care what race plays what anymore.
It's called localization.

You're seriously gonna try and claim this film is being racist?
Oh-Come-On.gif

Do you know how ridiculous you're sounding?

And Japan does the same exact goddamn thing when it comes to remaking our movies and adapting our franchises.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
It's called localization.

You're seriously gonna try and claim this film is being racist?
Oh-Come-On.gif

Do you know how ridiculous you're sounding?

And Japan does the same exact goddamn thing when it comes to remaking our movies and adapting our franchises.

my dude, who gives a **** anymore? let it go and move on before you blow into another giant rant. Again.

berto

I Saw the Devil
The American remake of The Ring was better than the original Japanese film. I don't know why so many people act like the original film is superior. Sure the American sequel sucked, but the first film totally got it right. It didn't pull random plot threads out its ass like the original, and the production value was so much better.
I don't agree in the least, I think the original was the better film. But you get the point, Americanizations are rarely the better version and the Death Note adaptations that I've seen have all been crap so I'm not overly excited for this one, either.

Edit.
Ok, Yeah, I just read all the posts by DragonMaster2010 and he very clearly stated from the beginning that: "I'm not gonna say whitewashing, because I'm honestly tired of talking about it," and he clarified that same statement to you more than once and since you wouldn't let it go you are now on his ignore list so let it go next time.

@DragonMaster2010 Sorry I didn't see this earlier but I think you did the right thing but this was something that happened often I wish you'd done it earlier.

Last edited:

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I don't agree in the least, I think the original was the better film. But you get the point, Americanizations are rarely the better version and the Death Note adaptations that I've seen have all been crap so I'm not overly excited for this one, either.

I have all four Ringu films, and while I like them (even though the Japanese with Ringu, along with Ju-On ran both of those series in to the ground), I still haven't come across a single person that actually explains why Ringu is better than The Ring.

They only ever just say it's better just because. The attitude that all remakes are bad is hackneyed at this point.

The American version of The Ring was well acted, written, and just objectively made better with its sickly cinematography and set pieces. The original film at times is practically unachored in reality (so to speak) with a sometimes sloppy narrative. (Ryuji has a degree of sixth sense to detect the supernatural? Wat? You just pulled that out of your ass movie)

So yea, the only people I ever hear say Ringu is better are those who have already conditioned themselves to say it is despite not having any real reason backing it.

Granted, The Ring is the ONLY American remake of a J-Horror film I'd say is better.

berto

I Saw the Devil
I have all four Ringu films, and while I like them (even though the Japanese with Ringu, along with Ju-On ran both of those series in to the ground), I still haven't come across a single person that actually explains why Ringu is better than The Ring.
This is really getting out of topic but fine, one last thing to say. The Ambiance, the mythology, the fact that every image in the video was witnessed again by her in some way shape or form which leads to the question if some one tries to solve this do they all have similar things happen to them, like horses jumping off ship, and those that weren't served no purpose other than been abstract (rotating upside down chair) the dad was a tool, the needless puns here and there like the 'you're going to die' part when he's buying cigarettes, the fact that the little girl had teleportation powers that had a TV static effect and when they showed her face it didn't really impress, she looked fishy or like a lagoon monster, and the kid just looked sickly in the American version but quiet kids in Japan are pretty normal so he didn't stick out like the other did.

They only ever just say it's better just because. The attitude that all remakes are bad is hackneyed at this point.
Never said that, The Departed has been a perfect example of a remake made right. The Birdcage, A Fist Full of Dollars, Fanny, Twelve Monkeys, Last Man Standing, The Mirror has Two Faces, Oscar, Scent of a Woman, or Bangkok Dangerous are all examples of a good American version. The issue is that all of those are the exception, not the rule.

The American version of The Ring was well acted, written, and just objectively made better with its sickly cinematography and set pieces. The original film at times is practically anchored in reality (so to speak) with a sometimes sloppy narrative. (Ryuji has a degree of sixth sense to detect the supernatural? Wat? You just pulled that out of your ass movie)
Acted I'll give you but written? I don't agree. As for the notion that it's detached from reality, it's a horror movie, the very premise is unrealistic, anything revolving around the core of the story been unrealistic comes with the territory. As for the Dad, that's not that uncommon a theme in none American countries, Mexico, Japan, China, Russia, all of them are far more accepting of such concepts. Americans just don't subscribe to the same ideas, it's a thing.

So yea, the only people I ever hear say Ringu is better are those who have already conditioned themselves to say it is despite not having any real reason backing it.
Sometimes people can't, they don't have the words. They just like it more, can't put their finger on it but they know that they do. To like something is such an objective thing, it's not easy to pin down what it is that one likes for this or other reasons.

Granted, The Ring is the ONLY American remake of a J-Horror film I'd say is better.
I still like The Grudge, both 1 & 2.

Top Bottom