• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero's origins - What do you think?

Laurence Barnes

Still not dead. Just not really here any more.
Premium
ill go for charlie sheen's wife :p
emvideo-youtube-9QS0q3mGPGg_1.jpg

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
Well nero could be descended from sparda throught another child he had before he had met eva as sparda is 2000 + years old, he has probably had other wives and kids at some point.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well nero could be descended from sparda throught another child he had before he had met eva as sparda is 2000 + years old, he has probably had other wives and kids at some point.

You said "before Eva" so do you mean that Nero's older then Dante?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
You said "before Eva" so do you mean that Nero's older then Dante?

No, I meant that he could be the grandson or great-grandson of another child Sparda from another marriage he had way before he met Eva.

in all actuality, i just felt he was meant to be the son of either Dante or Vergil but the devs got cold feet and didn't commit to the idea, hence why its not brought up fully and the confusion with the timeline.

But i was just gonna make him the son of the big bad in my DMC5 treatment.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
devs got cold feet and didn't commit to the idea, hence why its not brought up fully and the confusion with the timeline.

My thoughts too.

It seems from the DMC4 Devil's Material book that early on in the design process Nero was considered having swept back hair and a costume similar to 'coatless Vergil' and being shown with the Yamato, suggesting his relation to Vergil very strongly. I think the developers chickened out halfway through deciding only to hint rather than to explicitly state it. And then to suggest it all over again without subtlety in the DMC4 novel that he interacts with some sort of Vergil spirit or incarnation and that Vergil was in Fortuna.

As far as I'm concerned he might as well be Vergil's son in all but official admission.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
My thoughts too.

It seems from the DMC4 Devil's Material book that early on in the design process Nero was considered having swept back hair and a costume similar to 'coatless Vergil' and being shown with the Yamato, suggesting his relation to Vergil very strongly. I think the developers chickened out halfway through deciding only to hint rather than to explicitly state it. And then to suggest it all over again without subtlety in the DMC4 novel that he interacts with some sort of Vergil spirit or incarnation and that Vergil was in Fortuna.

As far as I'm concerned he might as well be Vergil's son in all but official admission.

it could have been to the team not really agreeing on which direction to go in with each person in charge wanting someone else.

kobayashi wanted nero to e vergil's kid, Itsuno wanted him to be a clone etc.

D-Sparda

Nothing is true, everything is permitted
it could have been to the team not really agreeing on which direction to go in with each person in charge wanting someone else.

kobayashi wanted nero to e vergil's kid, Itsuno wanted him to be a clone etc.
That scenario could of been done with the pieces of Nero Angelo's armor, but the problem is that an armor doesn't have a DNA to be able to clone something with it.

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
That scenario could of been done with the pieces of Nero Angelo's armor, but the problem is that an armor doesn't have a DNA to be able to clone something with it.

that was just a example.

but who says they didnt have a body to go with the armor?

D-Sparda

that was just a example.

but who says they didnt have a body to go with the armor?
Unfortunately, I have no evidences that there wasn't any body with the armor. I can only speculate that the corpse blew up at that faithful night at Mallet Island.

V

Oldschool DMC fan
It seemed when Nelo Angelo 'died' that he was sort of... immaterial, like a spirit or something, because there was no blood, only light and ...blue stuff. I can't remember but, when you fight him, does he bleed? I remember the other demons bleeding, but not him.

D-Sparda

It seemed when Nelo Angelo 'died' that he was sort of... immaterial, like a spirit or something, because there was no blood, only light and ...blue stuff. I can't remember but, when you fight him, does he bleed? I remember the other demons bleeding, but not him.
He doesn't bleed.

When installing DMC4 or viewing DMC history, it is said that Mundus took Vergil's soul and place it inside the armor. If it was only the soul that was taken, then what was the body inside the armor?

V

Oldschool DMC fan
Maybe it was just a manifestation of his human self inside, but not a real body. There are other demons in the series that manifest another shape out of a cloud form, so I guess why not.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I just thought I'd post this again, because most people don't read old pages. My apologies if this isn't allowed.
This is what I know about Nero:

1. He is meant to resemble Sparda. Sparda wore purple, Nero wears blue and red, which make purple. He loves a priestess just like Sparda did... it's basically the same story as that of Sparda.
Nero has the Devil Bringer arm, which is also red and blue. This leads me to believe the arm is Nero's own arm, NOT Vergil's, since Vergil's arm would only be blue, not red AND blue.
I don't think Vergil is 'inside Nero's arm', because how can a spirit be housed inside someone's arm?
Also, note that the spirit floating behind Nero seems to be Vergil, but isn't. If you look at Nero's full DT (my avatar), you'll notice that it looks exactly like the apparition (except for the blue color). It's actually quite likely Nero's DT is a fusion of Vergil's DT and his own.

2. He can't be Vergil's or Dante's son, since Dante is 29 in DMC4. This means Vergil would be 29 too. Since Nero is about 17 in DMC4, that would mean Vergil had sex with a human (which is doubtful) at the age of twelve (which is even less probable).
Another possibility is that Dante and Vergil are much older than 29; they are part demon after all. But I don't think this is the case, since Sparda remained in the human realm and fathered Dante and Vergil (in say 1975), and as far as I know, it's somewhere in the 2000s when Dante meets Nero.

3. He's had the blood of Sparda since birth. He's always had the white hair that the Sparda bloodline is renowned for. According to something I read, Nero's adoptive parents chose him because of his white hair, since it reminded them of their god, Sparda (the DMC novel is supposed to state this).

4. He may have been intended to be a half-demon like Dante and Vergil, since his concept art shows him sporting a full-body Devil Trigger (see my avatar, that's it). I read that only full demons and half-demons can have their own full Devil Trigger, so, since Capcom created full-body DT for Nero, that might mean that he's a half-demon, not a quarter demon like he should be if he's Vergil's son.

So the possibilities that we're left with are:

- Nero is the son of a relative of Sparda's and a human. This would make him a half-demon like Dante, though possibly less powerful.

- Sparda had a child with someone other than Eva. Probably not possible, since he died before Dante and Vergil were born, meaning Nero would have to be older than D&V. Besides, Sparda's a 'one girl' type of guy.

- Maybe he wasn't ''left on the steps of the orphanage'', (sounds suspicious) but he was created by somebody, perhaps by an unknown scientist. It can't be Agnus, since he knew nothing about Nero's powers.

- He could be the reincarnation of Sparda, but with Sanctus blurting out that Nero ''carries the blood of Sparda'' and that he's a ''descendant of Sparda's blood'', this theory seems impossible, as reincarnations don't have the same blood.

- He could be the descendant of Sparda and his previous wife (if he had one). That means he could be a half-demon like D&V. Not likely, as Sparda and Eva's relationship was legendary, but that one must not have been.

It's told that Sparda was the feudal lord of Fortuna, so yeah, a lot of Sparda stuff going on.
Feel free to comment/point out flaws. Thanks!

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
I just thought I'd post this again, because most people don't read old pages. My apologies if this isn't allowed.
This is what I know about Nero:

1. He is meant to resemble Sparda. Sparda wore purple, Nero wears blue and red, which make purple. He loves a priestess just like Sparda did... it's basically the same story as that of Sparda.
Nero has the Devil Bringer arm, which is also red and blue. This leads me to believe the arm is Nero's own arm, NOT Vergil's, since Vergil's arm would only be blue, not red AND blue.
I don't think Vergil is 'inside Nero's arm', because how can a spirit be housed inside someone's arm?
Also, note that the spirit floating behind Nero seems to be Vergil, but isn't. If you look at Nero's full DT (my avatar), you'll notice that it looks exactly like the apparition (except for the blue color). It's actually quite likely Nero's DT is a fusion of Vergil's DT and his own.

2. He can't be Vergil's or Dante's son, since Dante is 29 in DMC4. This means Vergil would be 29 too. Since Nero is about 17 in DMC4, that would mean Vergil had sex with a human (which is doubtful) at the age of twelve (which is even less probable).
Another possibility is that Dante and Vergil are much older than 29; they are part demon after all. But I don't think this is the case, since Sparda remained in the human realm and fathered Dante and Vergil (in say 1975), and as far as I know, it's somewhere in the 2000s when Dante meets Nero.

3. He's had the blood of Sparda since birth. He's always had the white hair that the Sparda bloodline is renowned for. According to something I read, Nero's adoptive parents chose him because of his white hair, since it reminded them of their god, Sparda (the DMC novel is supposed to state this).

4. He may have been intended to be a half-demon like Dante and Vergil, since his concept art shows him sporting a full-body Devil Trigger (see my avatar, that's it). I read that only full demons and half-demons can have their own full Devil Trigger, so, since Capcom created full-body DT for Nero, that might mean that he's a half-demon, not a quarter demon like he should be if he's Vergil's son.

So the possibilities that we're left with are:

- Nero is the son of a relative of Sparda's and a human. This would make him a half-demon like Dante, though possibly less powerful.

- Sparda had a child with someone other than Eva. Probably not possible, since he died before Dante and Vergil were born, meaning Nero would have to be older than D&V. Besides, Sparda's a 'one girl' type of guy.

- Maybe he wasn't ''left on the steps of the orphanage'', (sounds suspicious) but he was created by somebody, perhaps by an unknown scientist. It can't be Agnus, since he knew nothing about Nero's powers.

- He could be the reincarnation of Sparda, but with Sanctus blurting out that Nero ''carries the blood of Sparda'' and that he's a ''descendant of Sparda's blood'', this theory seems impossible, as reincarnations don't have the same blood.

- He could be the descendant of Sparda and his previous wife (if he had one). That means he could be a half-demon like D&V. Not likely, as Sparda and Eva's relationship was legendary, but that one must not have been.

It's told that Sparda was the feudal lord of Fortuna, so yeah, a lot of Sparda stuff going on.
Feel free to comment/point out flaws. Thanks!
1. Concepts that don't make it into the game are not canon so Nero's full DT doesn't matter. He could have any amount of demonic blood.
2. Eva is not the first woman to play a major role in the legend of Sparda. The priestess he sacrificed to seal the Temen-ni-gru was and we do not know what kind of relationship they had.
3. The phrase "descendant of Sparda's blood" means that he is a relative of Sparda so that removes the possibility that he was somhow artificiality given Sparda's blood
4. A descendant of a relative of Sparda wouldn't "carry the blood of Sparda" that phrase could only only apply to a direct descendant of Sparda or someone who literally has Sparda's blood inside of them (which wouldn't fit with the phrase "descendant of Sparda's blood")

There are four possibilities that do not contradict what we currently know about Nero.

1. He is the son of one of the twins (unlikely, the ages don't fit, it is unlikely that Vergil would have had sex with a random human and Dante would probably know if Nero was his)
2. He is a third son of Sparda.(unlikely unless Sparda lived longer then we think he did)
3. He is the son of a child Sparda had with another demon (possible and Nero would still be a half demon)
4. He is a descendant of a child Sparda had with another human (probably the priestess)

D-Sparda

2. Eva is not the first woman to play a major role in the legend of Sparda. The priestess he sacrificed to seal the Temen-ni-gru was and we do not know what kind of relationship they had.

There are four possibilities that do not contradict what we currently know about Nero.

1. He is the son of one of the twins (unlikely, the ages don't fit, it is unlikely that Vergil would have had sex with a random human and Dante would probably know if Nero was his)
2. He is a third son of Sparda.(unlikely unless Sparda lived longer then we think he did)
3. He is the son of a child Sparda had with another demon (possible and Nero would still be a half demon)
4. He is a descendant of a child Sparda had with another human (probably the priestess)
Thus, the priestess had two branch line of descendance.

The first with a man resulting in Lady.

The second with Sparda(if true) resulting in Nero.

Now the question I want to know is how Sanctus knew Nero had Sparda's blood? White hair, perhaps?

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
1. Concepts that don't make it into the game are not canon so Nero's full DT doesn't matter. He could have any amount of demonic blood.
3. The phrase "descendant of Sparda's blood" means that he is a relative of Sparda so that removes the possibility that he was somhow artificiality given Sparda's blood
4. A descendant of a relative of Sparda wouldn't "carry the blood of Sparda" that phrase could only only apply to a direct descendant of Sparda or someone who literally has Sparda's blood inside of them (which wouldn't fit with the phrase "descendant of Sparda's blood")

'Blood' could also mean 'kindred', as in relatives (merriam-webster.com). So if Nero is a ''descendant of Sparda's 'blood''' (kindred) that may mean he's... well, just as it says - the son of one of Sparda's family members.

The blood of Sparda does not necessarily literally mean Sparda's blood. Since Sparda's relatives have roughly the same blood as him, you could say Nero still has Sparda's blood (or the blood of his bloodline, you could say).

About the concept art: I do consider it canon, since they obviously planned to work it into the game. If they didn't, then they just created that concept art for kicks - something I highly doubt. Capcom might've dropped the ball, because I think Nero was never meant to be three fourths human. They may have decided to change the whole story, making a mess out of things. That's probably why they decided to start over with the DMC series.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
'Blood' could also mean 'kindred', as in relatives (merriam-webster.com). So if Nero is a ''descendant of Sparda's 'blood''' (kindred) that may mean he's... well, just as it says - the son of one of Sparda's family members.

The blood of Sparda does not necessarily literally mean Sparda's blood. Since Sparda's relatives have roughly the same blood as him, you could say Nero still has Sparda's blood (or the blood of his bloodline, you could say).

About the concept art: I do consider it canon, since they obviously planned to work it into the game. If they didn't, then they just created that concept art for kicks - something I highly doubt. Capcom might've dropped the ball, because I think Nero was never meant to be three fourths human. They may have decided to change the whole story, making a mess out of things. That's probably why they decided to start over with the DMC series.

I suppose you could say that someone carries the blood of someone who is not their ancestor or an immediate relative but that would be stretching things a bit further than most people would and wouldn't really make sense.

They didn't make the concept art just for fun but they also didn't use it. It is something they consided using but decided not to. It is not canon unless they decide to use it in a later game. If every idea they had was canon Dante would be a Resident Evil charicter named Tony. A concept is just an idea, something to be considered and possibly rejected.

Lionheart

Solid Ocelot
I suppose you could say that someone carries the blood of someone who is not their ancestor or an immediate relative but that would be stretching things a bit further than most people would and wouldn't really make sense.

They didn't make the concept art just for fun but they also didn't use it. It is something they consided using but decided not to. It is not canon unless they decide to use it in a later game. If every idea they had was canon Dante would be a Resident Evil charicter named Tony. A concept is just an idea, something to be considered and possibly rejected.

Well, it's in the word 'blood'. You don't have to take it as literally meaning 'blood' (again, merriam-webster). Besides, ''a descendant of Sparda's blood'' is a very circuitous way of saying it, but those are Sanctus's exact words. He could've said 'descendant of Sparda', but did he? No. So I think there's something behind that, though I could be wrong.

It's clear Capcom wanted the game to be something very different than what it's become. True, it's not canon, but if they went through with it, it would be. Therefore, I don't want to discount the concept art as though it's garbage.

darkslayer13

Enma Katana no Kami
Well, it's in the word 'blood'. You don't have to take it as literally meaning 'blood' (again, merriam-webster). Besides, ''a descendant of Sparda's blood'' is a very circuitous way of saying it, but those are Sanctus's exact words. He could've said 'descendant of Sparda', but did he? No. So I think there's something behind that, though I could be wrong.

It's clear Capcom wanted the game to be something very different than what it's become. True, it's not canon, but if they went through with it, it would be. Therefore, I don't want to discount the concept art as though it's garbage.
it is a game made in Japan but written in English the dialog is going to sound slightly odd at times. that is also the reason why i doubt they would try to add something subtle that you would have to know a lot about the English language to know. what it appears to be on the surface (Nero is a direct descendant of Sparda) is probably what it is for the simple reason that a lot of the people playing the game wouldn't be able to notice any subtle details in how Sanctus phrased what he said (even most people who have been speaking English their entire life probably wouldn't notice details like that ).

even if a concept never becomes canon it still isn't garbage it is a step on the path leading to what was created and way for us to know what thoughts they had and provides some idea of what thoughts they might have in the future. it just can't be used to disprove anything.

Top Bottom