• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero's development and story discussion (no bullshit allowed).

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
Just to start things:

1 - If you dislike Nero strongly, try to hold youserlf a little to not turn the discussion into some pointless child fight club. You're not here to say how much you hate Nero or how he's a walking plothole (we all know that, no need for repetition), and i would ask you to create another thread if you just wanna to spite all your hate for him or the old series here.
2 - As "1" makes kinda clear: if you think that old series plot, story, characters and the game as a whole is just anime-ish, weaboo bullshit, just avoid posting here and ruining all the topic. Go discuss the outstanding story of DmC in that specific area of the forum reserved for this game, this topic was made with the purpose to talk only about the old series, although it's not specific for DMC4 as we going to talk and speculate about things of the past and future (if it comes to be).
3 - I know that already had other threads like that, but all i see in these threads were people discussing canon or talking how much they dislike Nero and how he's a giant plothole to the series. This thread has a different take on that as i will explain following the text.

I and Lionheart was discussing on his page about how could Nero be developed (gameplay and story-wise), and come up with some little ideas, i will summarize some of mine and his ideas to give you all some notion, my purposes were as follows:

- If he's really Vergil's son, his personality could be developed acquiring some Vergil's traits to give us this "father-son" feeling and do some fanservice to see Vergil "living" in another character. One example cold be that cold look of Vergil while he engages demons in battle, but at the same time showing that he has a kind and passionate heart for those he loves (different from Vergil in that way).

- Give him a more important role, and develop him in a way that if needed he could take Dante's place somewhere in time if they feel the series will need some fresh air and new characters in the future.

- Keep devil bringer and exceed mechanics and develop them more, while trying to give him a more extended arsenal, to keep the exceed mechanic coherent with plot/canon, he could dual-handle most of his weapons (like Vergil do with Yamato + Force Edge), Red Queen would ever be in his hand while he attain the power of other devil arms or weapons. The button mapping could be an issue, but he still has the D-PAD buttons to work with.

Basically, i and Lionheart said very similar things, he throwed out some ideas about weapons for Nero and a DT for him. Something about he acquiring some lust for power just like his father for a little time but realizing that is not the way to protect those he loves. I'll ask him to come "personaly" here and talk to us in detail about his ideas too.

I'm kinda lazy to make a wall of text right now talking about how they can fit him in the story, considering that he's really Vergil's son (i'm assuming this is true, feel free to come up with your own theories, it's good to hear some other ideas on the character and it's the whole purpose of the topic). But i have some ideas on how to make this true and will go in detail with that later.

Important advice:

*The purpose of this topic is just to speculate and throw some ideas about how you would like to see Nero's development if the old series continues. Obviously, it would be good for you to do your best to stay coherent with the presented canon until now, but feel free to speculate and theorize. It will work more as an exercise to your creativity than to linking A to B in the canon.

Tells us what's your take on the boy's future as a playable character and about his story :)

IncarnatedDemon

I don't think Nero being Vergil's son is right.

I think Nero was a new character made by Capcom without much logic behind him. They just made him different from Dante but at same time had that white hair, that sword and gun etc.

If what i read about Nero on wiki is correct: Nero shoulder was hurt. And as we later learn his hand changes.

So instead of Nero's demonic powers being explained by him being son of Vergil, i think it's better that Nero was wounded by a special demon. This special type of demon can turn humans into demon.
But before Nero killed it he suffered a small wound.

And thus his arm changed.

Railazel

Well, I can't really see Nero becoming anything other than himself. For him to develop into another Dante or Vergil would just be unnatural since he has already been distinguished as his own character with his own personality. Therefore, I think it would be better for Nero to mature and grow in his own way while placing his own mark in the franchise.

On a personal note, I would like to see Nero develop into the next "Sparda" as he shares qualities with him. Not in personality, of course, but in terms of his role in the story. I don't want him to do anything big like face the entire legion of Hell but I would like to see him, along with Dante, try to finish what Sparda left off.

DragonMaster2010

Don't Let the Fall of America be Your Fall
Well sh*t. And I was just about to rant on how crappy of a character he was.:troll:

But in seriousness, Nero can't legitimately be Vergil's son.

Vergil doesn't really care about humans and as such it really wouldn't make sense for him to have had sex with a prostitute as the novel implies and have a kid. I can't see Vergil being that irresponsible that he'd disappear on his own child and let his prostitute wife send him to an orphanage. Plus Vergil even having sex with a prostitute even sounds untrue. Vergil has too much class to be doing strippers. However maybe he raped a girl because he was dying and wanted a heir to carry on the Sparda name in case Dante dies at some point. Yes that sounds terrible, but I never took Vergil as a civilized man. Just a savage that dressed proper.

Now in terms of Nero, I don't really see him replacing Dante in the Devil May Cry business, because Nero seems to not have as much experience under his belt like Dante. Fortuna was his only really major crisis, while Dante's handled 4 (If you count the anime). SO Nero just taking the shop right away from Dante isn't very logical to me. However him having his own shop would be a better Idea, allowing him to grow as Dante did.

Speaking of that, I wish Nero had his own anime. Maybe he would have been actually likable.

VineBigBoss

GGXRD <3
I still want to see some more opinions before thinking and writting some general ideas regarding how they could:

- Give Vergil clear motivations to be like he was in DMC3
- Making him being Nero's father fit on the storyline and relating it to his past
- Explain better the relation between Nero, Fortuna and the Order
- Some ideas to explain Devil Bringer and Nero's demonic powers
- General gameplay features that could be implemented using Exceed and Devil Bringer

And gameplay-wise, any of you that already made some posts don't have any idea of what do you like to see he doing and how to explore better the already introduced mechanics? Or what do you think he lacked in DMC4?

V's patron

be loyal to what matters
I'm not a fan of the clone theory as we have enough clones in DMC and the other theories are too obvious/safe so im gonna go out of the box here.

--------------------------Granted im not gonna make him just a figment of Vergil's subconcious---------------

For me, i would make him the halfdemon/halfhuman son of this dude who vergil had beef with so vergil takes revenge on him by killing him and then brings Nero as a baby too Fortuna.

Its more of "rubbing the salt on your wounds" type thing where Vergil is making nero grows to be completely unaware of his heritage and his father will not be able to pass his legacy.

Vergil seems like that kind of guy:|.

Its meant to fit in with the novel but turn it on its head. The novel has Sanctus make the assumption that Nero is Vergil's kid with a local prostitute where Vergil just told him nothing and give him Nero in reality.

Why he looks like Vergil is waved away as White hair/Anime hair colors are common amongst hybrids.

I chose this option because its a meaningful echo towards the Sparda mythos and Dante/Vergil's actions while making Nero less reliant on Dante and Vergil. He's given more space to make new connections and see the world(s) from a different perspective than the sparda family.

One of the directions I wanted to go in with my Nero anime pitch was nero is in fortuna with little contact with dante because Dante is not the traveling type so he would have few appearances in the show so this is to fill that void.

I dont care about Kobayashi's timeline so dont ask about it.

Any thoughts? if you want me to repost my anime ideas since you might be curious, just let me know.

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
I'm telling you, he's Dante's clone grown in a test tube with a lock of anime hair. He got his demon arm surgically mapped on to his body after a tragic freak fapping accident.

Vergil has a daughter after a freak one night stand with a plastic kitana sword hooker with a heart of gold. This daughter turned out to be Lady! What a twist! This will be revealed in Devil May Cry 14 when they decide to actually jump to that portion of the time line after jumping around in to like 50 years of unexplored ones randomly before that disregarding another crap load of canon up until that point.

The plastic kitana sword would have sought out Vergil for unpaid child support. Nero helps the plastic kitana sword in this quest. But Vergil's dead so they have to go to hell and fight through a bunch of lawyers (because it makes sense) and then challenge Dante to a pizza eating contest out of left field because Capcom will forget again to program an entire campaign for Dante and he'll just show up to play through the same levels all over again. Dante has to now one way or another. But what about Lady?! I don't know. She just kind of vanishes and her being Vergil's daughter will be left unanswered for like a really long time.

It's unorganized and doesn't make any sense. Seems fitting.

berto

I Saw the Devil
if I remember Nero was actually never meant to be playable, that decision came when they decided that the they needed to attract a younger audience. There was talk that they could easily given Dante the DB but that making Nero the new protagonist was all for the best. To be honest I'm getting sick of hearing that, but back on topic.

You want more for Nero then the key lies in his girlfriend. Make them a pair, make them both better characters, the better character she is the better an intensive she will be. Add to that a better sense of others and he might have hope. But as it stands, him only caring about that hollow excuse for a character? That been the first, second, and only reason for ever making a decision is only going to hurt him in the appeal department.

Ronin

Let's rock, baby!
If there's hope of bringing Nero back into the new DmC, he'll be a brand new character who won't be related to the Sparda twins.

Since both Dante & Vergil are nephilim, make Nero a cambion born from a different family of human & demon.

seraphmaycry

stop the kyriee bullshit

kill kyrie

dont be so OP

dont steal the show and make dnates figths boring cos the enemies are made for nero

dont live

dont live in a plotholey way

have good combat that challenges me

thats about it for him to be a good character i dont know but i just dont like neros personality at ANY point in the game

as for neros origins i would say sparda reincarnations (sprarda wore purple nero wears red and blue) or a hybrid for another demon and another human

oh and he got me millions killed to save one person

Chancey289

Fake Geek Girl.
Nero and Kyrie
fabrice-in-shibuya-2.jpg

MultiBro

Darkest Dungeon
Give Nero some Styles to use, maybe a Brawler style where he uses his fists more and could have a royal guard like mechanics built into it aswell.

More weapons or atleast some more variety to them.

Don't make him save Kyrie and move Kyrie to a support role instead of being a damsel in distress.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
Give Nero some Styles to use, maybe a Brawler style where he uses his fists more and could have a royal guard like mechanics built into it aswell.

More weapons or atleast some more variety to them.
OH HELL NO ! that's unique to Dante !
Don't make him save Kyrie and move Kyrie to a support role instead of being a damsel in distress.
But that seems to he ONLY point of his character.

On Topic: I JUST don't get why people relate him to vergil just because he can access a fraction of Vergil's powers

IMHO he's either an experiment or just a gifted human being

ChaserTech

I can't talk much about character development and plot since I'm not that much of a writer and I don't know enough to change Nero's character so easily. But for gameplay purposes, I thought Nero was designed sorta decently.

As MultiBro stated earlier, a more Brawler style would be nice for Nero. If Nero could fight with his hands, as well as being able to use his Devil Bringer, Red Queen, and Blue Rose, he'd be a pretty solid character regarding to gameplay. He would have more options to choose from without overly complicating his controller layout scheme.

GF9000000Returns

I would be much perfect if Nero just break up with Kyrie or cheat on her with another demon lady. That'd made me like Nero more.

lol Sorry. Anyway I just wanna see if he really is a demon or not, see how much he's grown, and the full power Devil Trigger if he has one.

ROCKMAN X

Keyser Söze
I just wanna see if he really is a demon or not
lol wut ? He beat the Sh!T out of dozens of Binaco&Alto Angels along with all the Strong to Weak Hell Spawns and also matched Dante Equally in combat NOT only that but he also harnessed the power of Fallen Demons.

Call me crazy but what human can accomplish such a devious task ? you can say batman but that's an exception ;).

Top Bottom