• Welcome to the Devil May Cry Community Forum!

We're a group of fans who are passionate about the Devil May Cry series and video gaming.

Register Log in

Nero, Virgil and Sparda [DISCUSSION]

Keaton

Premium
Watching back through the DMC4 movies last night I noticed a few things that could do with discussing...particualy about Nero's origins.

Sure, most has been said before, but hey, I like healthy flameless debates :D

Issue 1, The Sillouette
When Nero is running towards the church in the opening scene he is ambushed by Scarecrows. After dispatching the first he picks up what seems to be a Leg of theirs, a long curved single sided blade, much large than RedQueen it must be noted.

As Nero is slashing away at the enemy everything slows and we see Nero's sillouette on a wall behind him, mid-swing. This shadow shows Nero, but to be over analytical you could say it shows a young man with mid-length hair (that is drawn back), wearing a long coat and bandashing a large half moon (esque) blade.

Now, it may be me, but does anyone else think that that sillouette could just as easily portray a picture of Sparda as it could Nero...especially with the Large Curved Blade he is wealding (+rep for any pics =p)

Issue 2, The Devil Bringers Awakening
Notice how just before Dante arrives the Devil Bringer glows.
The only other instances are just before Nero encounters Yamoto and Sparda also. Dante kills the Savior and as Nero rushes forward to protect Kyrie (fighting to protect a human -reguardless of his own safety) the Devil Bringer isn't glowing then.

BUT as Dante launches his deadly Stinger at Nero, an attack that should kill him, Nero blocks it with the Devil Bringer and in that instant the Devil Bringer establishes its constant risidual glow - I think that touching Rebellion, one of Sparda's swords awoke the Devil Bringer.

On a lesser note, as Nero is punching Dante (Nero has him pinned) you see Dantes Arm change from its Devil Trigger back to human again. This I feel could be for two reasons, the first is that because the Bringer is filled with concentrated Demonic Power that caused Dante to react in the same way he did with an item in DMC3 that gave off such a high amount of energy that he was forced into his Devil Trigger. The second reason could be that the demonic power is effecting Dante, not because its so concentrated but because it is familar.

If we entertain the possibility that Sparda himself or Virgil bestowed Nero with the Devil Bringer in his time of need then Dante would surely sense the power once the Bringer was awoken. Thus casuing him a brief involentary moment of panic...possibly.

Issue 3, The Grunt
As Nero is fighting Dante Nero attacks him causing him to get knocked back, it is only at this moment that Dante shows any form of being caught off guard as he lets out a grunt. I'm not saying that Nero is more powerful than Dante, but if a beast like Berial or Echidna can't even threaten Dante, it shows that Nero has power potencial equal to Dantes - if he is actually able to harm him (a little).

Issue 4, "We're the same, you and I"
Towards the end of the opening scene after Dante is impaled on Rebellion (how cool is this scene :D). As Dante removes Rebellion from his chest (trademark scene ^_^) Nero says:

"Your not human...are you?"

Dante then continues with:

"We're the same you and...I...and them, but I suspect your carrying something different"

This is an immedate confirmation of Nero's half blood nature, although to what extent is still hard to tell.

Issue 4, "You Are Like He Was"
Another cool scene to analyze :D
Nero experiences his first Hell Gate, and with it his first 'proper' evil demon of the game, Berial. I know everyone knows about the 'Mundus' name drop on a shop sign, but this is something else.

A memorable scene is where Nero uses Red Queen and snuffs the flames of the surrounding buildings, follwoing this they match blades and Nero forces Berials blade back causing you to have a nice little Brawl with him. After you beat him he remarks "Your Arm is not human, you are like he was!" (or something to that effect), naturally despite Nero asking Berial doesnt' explain who he was referring to.

There are only two options for this however; Virgil or Sparda.

Dante, although having been to the Underworld has never met Berial (as is suggested bu Dantes own confrontation with him), it is known that Berial is The Conqueror of the Fire Hell giving him a pretty comfy status amungst the ranks.

I believe that he must be referring to either Virgil or his Father Sparda, because both have been to hell and both have fought there. Virgil is a tough call because we do not know at which point he became Nelo Angelo (directly after his defeat at Mundus' hands or afterwards following some kind of errands lol). BUT, it is likely to be Sparda after all, Sparda had beef witheveryone ^__^

Why is Nero like Sparda? OR perhaps we should better ask, why dos Nero's arm cause Berial to say this...is it possible that Sparda himself had a Devil Bringer? It would make sense in a way, it would mean he could assimilate many demons powers WITHOUT directly beating them (see Credo), and thus making him more and more powerful despite leaving Mundus' Generals alive (see Phantom).

Also, since Sparda is the 'Original Devil' in this series, of which both Dante and Virgil have his powers split between them, should Nero be connected wouldnt' a true Demonic embodiment run true with Sparda? Afterall, the Devil Bringer is a highly capable weapon that is deserving of the LDK.

Issue 5, Fighting For Love and the Demand for Power
The Final issue to discuss. Nero's reception of Yamoto.
When Nero has been impaled in a very Dante way, once again his thoughts that concern his own safety are no-where to be seen, instead he fears for Kyrie and his desire to protect her draws up a memory of when the Isle was attacked.

We hear Nero calling for Kyrie, we hear her screaming.
It is safe to assume at this point that Neros' one desire is to save her, he needs more power.

This is an emotion shared by Virgil particually but also Sparda.
Virgil wants more power because he wants to exceed his father and brother.
Sparda fought as hard as he did because he loved someone.

Nero's emotions are both of these combined, his desire for power to protect the one he loved could have caused either of these Devils to act in his favor, but it is THAT comment that leans me towards Virgil's influence in Nero's origins.

"...from that day forth my arm changed, and a voice echoed: POWER give me more power!"

Virgil, no? If Nero's Devil Trigger was simply a ghost/mimic of his own being then there would be no other voice in his head, except his own. This wasn't his because he says 'A' voice echoed.

On a second lesser note with this scene, as Nero's desire for power to save Kyrie is raising Yamoto restores itself and bestowes him with a new Trigger.

I'm not sure really what to believe here but, after thinking over these elements last night its hard not to believe in Sparda or Virgils involvement...but to what extent?

..also who is Nero we we look close enough the anwsers are potencially there...

Happy Discussing :D

LordOfDarkness

The Dark Avenger © †
Premium Elite
Premium
Supporter 2014
Xen-Omni 2020
Well I believe that, when Berial says "Your arm is not humasn... You are like he was"... I think he is refering to Sparda... Because, Sparda is usually the dmc character refered to mainly in the games, if you look at it from that perspective...

Keaton

Premium
I agree.

Although do you remember when Nero got Yamoto and Angus got pushed back into the Sword chamber...he was suddenly in his bug-devil form BUT he said that 'he would soon hope to participate in the ascension ceremony'.

Odd I think, because Nero seemingly (with Yamoto) has the power to awaken and fuse a demonic power to a person...yet he doesn't have his own Devil body.

Evil Nero

+rep keaton on these points!
I didn't notice the siloutte . i'll have to look at that when my xbox comes back.

Keaton

Premium
Thanks for the Rep ^_o

Yeah, I noticed the sillouette as I was pondering Neros conenction to Sparda and tbh, it seems like waay to much of a coincidence ^_^

Sparda™

All issues are hints to Sparda, his sons, and his swords.

BY THE WAY, KEATON, YOU HAVE TWO ISSUE 4.:lol:

In Issue 4 'You Are Like He Was', Berial is referring to Sparda, which has been in Fortuna 2000 years ago, directly after sealing the Temen-Ni-Gru, to seal the 'true hell gate' with Yamato.

In Issue 3, a grunt doesn't show anything, not even a bit of Nero being over Dante. It is true Nero has potential, but he could never threaten Dante.

In Issue 2, I have a feeling, which is quite strong, that Sparda utilized the Devil Bringer. The colors of the demonic arm are red & blue, the same colors Rebellion & Yamato represent each other,

In Issue 4 'We're the Same, You and I', that's another of the many hints Devil May Cry 4 has. This one shows definitely that Nero is a son of Sparda, but a full son - born from Eva, or a half-son, born from another woman, I can't say for sure.

Although I must say, Sparda and Eva were passionately in love with each other.

Evil Nero

hmm .. you just wont speculate the fact that Dante was at all hurt or suprised will you?

He did indeed grunt. A grunt does signify pain or being suprised in normal life.

We all know Dante was at his lowest power but that just makes his endurence weaker doesn't it?

But no. You won't except that. will you ya big stud-muffin? ;)

Sparda™

GOD!

Try to understand, never ever Dante can be threatened by Nero. The only threats Dante has, are Vergil and Sparda - his brother, because of having equal powers to him, and his father, because of having double his powers.

Keaton

Premium
Dante Aseroth;103807 said:
All issues are hints to Sparda, his sons, and his swords.

BY THE WAY, KEATON, YOU HAVE TWO ISSUE 4.:lol:

Lol, damn, I thought I had fixed that :D lol

In Issue 4 'You Are Like He Was', Berial is referring to Sparda, which has been in Fortuna 2000 years ago, directly after sealing the Temen-Ni-Gru, to seal the 'true hell gate' with Yamato.

I agree, but, in what way is Nero alike Sparda...really.
We havent' seen any hint of a Devil Bringer in the Costumes of Sparda that are available for us to play as and even in ALL variants of Sparda's Devil Trigger there is no hint either that his arm had manefested in such a way.

But, Berial is clear that he is referring to Neros arm (otherwise he would have mentioned it prior to the fight if he simply looked like Sparda). I think that Sparda had the Devil Bringer powers without the physial manefestation, but at the same time, the ability to absorb and gain new powers does seem like something that Sparda would've used to grow stronger.

In Issue 3, a grunt doesn't show anything, not even a bit of Nero being over Dante. It is true Nero has potential, but he could never threaten Dante.

It is the only sign in the whole game that Dante shows us of being caught off guard, he doesn't grunt when fighting Sanctus, Berial etc so it is odd that Nero, a half Demon whom hasn't established his full power yet could yeald such a noise.

I am not saying Nero is in anyway more powerful than Dante, but I feel it may've been in relation to Nero's powersurge from being struck by Rebellion (a blade imbued with both Dante and Spardas demonic energy).

In Issue 2, I have a feeling, which is quite strong, that Sparda utilized the Devil Bringer. The colors of the demonic arm are red & blue, the same colors Rebellion & Yamato represent each other.

This was also my inital feeling when DMC first previewed. My only concern however is that the Devil Bringer was originally going to be orange, making it look like Dantes DT Arm, rather than anything else.

Nero is a fusion of both Dante and Virgil in many ways, but just by looking at his clothes (a mix of red and blue) and his hair (brushed back like Virgil but scruffy like Dante) we can see each twin in him which at the end of the day adds to Sparda.

It seems odd that if he was unrelated to Sparda in this way that Capcom would give him a combination of colours as such. Afterall he could've worn all black, or green if he was to become a third twin (or a triplet).

In Issue 4 'We're the Same, You and I', that's another of the many hints Devil May Cry 4 has. This one shows definitely that Nero is a son of Sparda, but a full son - born from Eva, or a half-son, born from another woman, I can't say for sure.

Although I must say, Sparda and Eva were passionately in love with each other.

I doubt very much that Nero is some kind of love child, but surely Dante and Virgil would've know if they had a baby brother? Or perhaps he was a Stillborn child? Or born with no powers, Sparda may have left him with a 'strong' family for fear of a powerless child being killed by demons? o_O

Sparda™

It's something you're taking as of a higher-rank speculation, K-Man!:lol:

They are only hints, which tell us that Sparda and Vergil might be in Devil May Cry 5, and that Nero's origins will be revealed in that game.

Keaton

Premium
LOL! Yeah, but its fun to speculate ^__^

I am willing to bet that Capcom decide to simply do another DMC game...that offers no more info about Sparda, Nero or Virgil than DMC4 did, it will just raise questions :(

Mainly because they know we will buy it, they know then that we will spend the next 18 months speculating lol

I hope your right ^__^ for my sanity I do lol

Sparda™

It's just that, the whole speculation thing makes you tired. You get annoyed not hearing anything for a long time, and that is frustrating.

But really, with all the hints I've encountered in the game, I'm convinced Sparda, Vergil and Nero are in the next game.

Keaton

Premium
Dante Aseroth;103823 said:
It's just that, the whole speculation thing makes you tired. You get annoyed not hearing anything for a long time, and that is frustrating.

But really, with all the hints I've encountered in the game, I'm convinced Sparda, Vergil and Nero are in the next game.

I agree but wouldn't be auprised otherwise ^^.

I wish that Capcom ran a new Anime series (uptodate one) or a Manga series or even some short stories that were offcial from the website...I would happily pay for more info :)

Sparda™

^ That's another thing. The best for me would be making side-games, like the side-games I've made in my own game project.

Keaton

Premium
^I agree.

It would be nice to have a game just about Nero, Virgil, Sparda because in a side-game it could be justified.

Whereas in a DMC game persai it would get flamed by fans if Dante wasnt in it...after all, there have been a horde of negative comments reguarding Dantes smaller part in this game.

Sparda™

Side-games don't get that much of attention. But, If a nice combination like this - Devil May Cry 5 with Dante, Vergil, Sparda and Nero; the side-games of Nero, Sparda and Vergil, would be released as a set of 4 Blu-Ray discs (PS3) - It would be awesome.

Keaton

Premium
^In which case Capcom should just make one DMC5 game, but with each characters story playable.

Each character having a different journey but all meet in places and at the climax.

Thats what i WISHED would happen in DMC3:Special Edition for Virgil =p

ManOfMayhem

Keaton your what makes this forum wishful. I mean to have each character with its own storyline would be the best thing that could happen.

New DMC Player

Issue 4, "We're the same, you and I"
Towards the end of the opening scene after Dante is impaled on Rebellion (how cool is this scene ). As Dante removes Rebellion from his chest (trademark scene ) Nero says:

"Your not human...are you?"

Dante then continues with:

"We're the same you and...I...and them, but I suspect your carrying something different"

This is an immedate confirmation of Nero's half blood nature, although to what extent is still hard to tell.

Correct me if Im wrong but what I thought Dante said to Nero was:
"We're the same you and...*grunts as he pulls Rebellion out of his chest*... and them, but I suspect youre carrying something different."

Dante never came out and said "I". I dont know if that is revelant but it always stood out for me he never said "I".

Top Bottom